The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 10 December 2013, 06:33 AM   #1
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5514
fake dial on 16800

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-ROLE...item2ecc8ae67d

fake n' bake

@true_patina
@true.dome
007Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2013, 09:30 AM   #2
kooltzar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 5512
Why you think it is fake?
kooltzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2013, 10:44 AM   #3
TimeToGo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Dial may be fine..
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2013, 12:16 PM   #4
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

What are the concerns ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10 December 2013, 05:32 PM   #5
socalwatchcollector
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pateks Plural
Just patina?
socalwatchcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2013, 02:56 AM   #6
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Negative... look at the L under the rolex Coronet. Way off center.. not to mention the lume plot dimensions are wrong. See correct photo here for reference.

@true_patina
@true.dome
Old 11 December 2013, 02:58 AM   #7
007Sub
"TRF" Member

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...2/DSC07443.jpg

@true_patina
@true.dome
Old 11 December 2013, 03:05 AM   #8
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Maybe its just the angle? I don't know I've never seen the lume actually touch the coronet and the L that far left... what do you all think?

Also the font of the date wheel appears somewhat different.... thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2013-12-10 at 12.02.47 PM.jpg (53.7 KB, 270 views)

@true_patina
@true.dome
Old 11 December 2013, 03:18 AM   #9
southtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Sub View Post
Maybe its just the angle? I don't know I've never seen the lume actually touch the coronet and the L that far left... what do you all think?

Also the font of the date wheel appears somewhat different.... thoughts?
I agree on all three. I noticed the coronet and L right off; didn't bother to look further.

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2013, 05:16 AM   #10
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

L off to the left is a know variant

Old 11 December 2013, 08:23 AM   #11
kooltzar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 5512
There are different dial variants for this reference, also one with the L more left.
kooltzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2013, 09:55 AM   #12
southtexas

As mentioned, does the 12 oclock marker strike anyone else as odd? General thickness of the hour markers? See the difference at 9 and 6 bt the two watches.

Does the crown seem to be floating between the guards too much? Guards look too small.

Letters in SCOC? They don't look exactly right to me...granted, that might be due to pic quality.

Seller moves a lot of Rolex with perfect feedback, but this one might've snuck past him?

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2013, 10:57 AM   #13
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowncollection View Post
L off to the left is a know variant

The watch appears genuine and I would agree with Dave. I would buy it but I'm more of a GMT guy.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2013, 04:07 PM   #14
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Im not convinced folks... that 12 is very odd to come so close to the coronet.. the date wheel is sans serif... the L is way left... A lot of other things look right but thus dial looks weird to me...

@true_patina
@true.dome
Old 14 December 2013, 02:40 PM   #15
Justso
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 16800
I have a few issues with this dial myself, but also the watch itself.

Let's compare two 16800s of the similar vintage

High def image of our suspect dial & watch

High def image of a vintage 16800

* The 12 lume is literally almost touching the coronet, and while I've seen lumes similar, I haven't seen one that is that close AND ever so slightly off center to the right of the tip of the coronet. The 12 lume should carry a center line exactly down through the center tip of the coronet

* Compare the 12 lume in pic #1 vs the 12 lume in pic #2. In pic #2, each tip of the 12 lume is razor sharp.

* Look at the second O in CHRONOMETER. The tips of the top & bottom quadrant of the O extend above and below the N and the M next to it.

* The Sans Serif date wheel is off. Maybe it's a service calendar wheel, who knows, but it definitely isn't matched to a vintage 16800.

* The crown guards are problematic. This is always a red flag. A real sub has no gap between the crown & the guards. See how the 16800 in pic #2, the crown guards flare out, extend further and "hug" the crown? This is not the case in pic #1. There is a noticeable gap.

* The break angle of the inside of the bottom crown guard looks different and more shallow from the break angle of the inside of the top crown guard.

* Notice how the bottom crown guard is shorter in horizontal length (extending outward) than the top guard is in pic #1, while in pic #2, it is perfectly centered on the crown.

* The oxidation on the hands doesn't match. The second hand has a noticeably more pronounced patina than the hour & second hand. Notice in pic #2, the hands all have even patina, meaning that those are the original set of hands that have aged uniformly over time. In pic #1, the minute & hour hands are much cleaner than the second hand. The second hand is dramatically worse. While patinas are not always uniform, obviously, this is quite a discrepancy.

* The magnification of the cyclops seems a hair off. Look at pic #2, how the 29 jumps right out. Granted its on an angle and the calendar font is correct, but still, you see how the magnification pops the 29 out at you. Pic #1 is close, but again, notice how we keep coming back to "close."

* Look at the detail on the hour hand in pic #1, and compare it to the crispness of the hour hand in pic #2. In pic #2, the hour hand is even, thin & crisp.

While I cannot and will not say 100% for certain that this is a fake, what I can say is that the crown guards are very bothersome. It could be authentic, but there's enough wrong with this one for me to immediately pass on it.
Justso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2013, 03:17 PM   #16
Presa canary
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer ii
Sorry guys... But I think this one is real. Even with all the well pointed out differences, this is a trusted seller. Let's remember these were real tool watches at one point. The attention to every detail wasn't always there. You can find variances in a number of these from one to the other. As far as the lume being crisp, I've seen a number of authentic vintage pieces where they're not perfectly crisp. But you're right about that second o being larger, but to me all of the writing doesn't look that clean. I've seen this before as well.
Presa canary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2013, 03:40 PM   #17
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presa canary View Post
Sorry guys... But I think this one is real. Even with all the well pointed out differences, this is a trusted seller. Let's remember these were real tool watches at one point. The attention to every detail wasn't always there. You can find variances in a number of these from one to the other. As far as the lume being crisp, I've seen a number of authentic vintage pieces where they're not perfectly crisp. But you're right about that second o being larger, but to me all of the writing doesn't look that clean. I've seen this before as well.
The seller, endurence, has had items on ebay that are incorrect, whether it be aftermarket parts and/or mismatched parts. You have to watch their items closely.

Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
Old 14 December 2013, 03:49 PM   #18
Presa canary
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
The seller, endurance, has had items on ebay that are incorrect, whether it be aftermarket parts and/or mismatched parts. You have to watch their items closely.
That maybe correct. I haven't looked to buy from them, nor checked their inventory. They just have a good reputation
Old 14 December 2013, 04:08 PM   #19
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presa canary View Post
That maybe correct. I haven't looked to buy from them, nor checked their inventory. They just have a good reputation
I don't believe this is a case of "maybe correct." With respect for your opinion, I would disagree and say that my comment was correct regarding mismatched or aftermarket parts. Here are just two endurence listings currently on ebay. One has accessories much newer than the watch and the other has an aftermarket dial. I'm sure there are more listed items by endurence that could be posted here if someone wants to look. Additionally, I have also had issues with them on a watch purchase in the past.

They have also been posted on in the Watchout section before as noted in the one thread included here, and there are others.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROLEX-GMT-MA...item2eccc72f9e

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROLEX-LADIES...item2eccc72fc9

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-RARE...p2047675.l2557

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ight=endurence

Old 14 December 2013, 11:13 PM   #20
Presa canary
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
I don't believe this is a case of "maybe correct." With respect for your opinion, I would disagree and say that my comment was correct regarding mismatched or aftermarket parts. Here are just two endurence listings currently on ebay. One has accessories much newer than the watch and the other has an aftermarket dial. I'm sure there are more listed items by endurence that could be posted here if someone wants to look. Additionally, I have also had issues with them on a watch purchase in the past.

They have also been posted on in the Watchout section before as noted in the one thread included here, and there are others.

[url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROLEX-GMT-MASTER-STAINLESS-STEEL-BLACK-DIAL-with-BLACK-RED-BEZEL-/201004101534?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item2eccc72f9e[/url

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROLEX-LADIES...item2eccc72fc9

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-RARE...p2047675.l2557

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ight=endurence

I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with? I clearly stated you may be correct and I haven't looked through his inventory.... But to me, and I'm assuming you reading your above post, think this watch is real.
Old 15 December 2013, 05:35 AM   #21
joseluu
"TRF" Member

I am just glad to be an observer here. Trying to learn, but not able to speak on this one.

I must confess, though, that if I were the prospective buyer, I would pass. Only a feeling...
joseluu is offline   Reply With Quote