The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Which steel Nautilus would you get?
5726 gray dial 23 16.43%
5726 white dial 3 2.14%
5980 blue dial 34 24.29%
5980 gray dial 8 5.71%
5980 white dial 1 0.71%
5990 27 19.29%
Forget complications, 5711 all the way 26 18.57%
Just sit tight and wait for the 40th anniversary 18 12.86%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19 April 2016, 05:03 AM   #1
Fiery
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C 116610LN
Which complicated Nautilus?

I'm on the market for my first Patek. Since I'm a jeans+t-shirt or shorts+t-shirt wearing guy, I'd like to stick to the steel Nautilus line on bracelet. I also believe I can't pull off anything dressy, so a gold watch on a leather strap is not my thing. I'm not a fan of the Aquanaut, and also would like to stay away from the 5712 due to its asymmetrical dial. And I also would prefer to stay away from the 5711 since I already have or plan to acquire too many '70s design non-complicated (2 or 3-hand) watches, namely Ingenieur, Royal Oak 15202ST, GO Seventies Panorama Date, and probably the new 3-hand Overseas as well. Also, IMHO Patek is in its strides when it comes to building unique and/or interesting complications. So my choices are the 5726, 5980 and 5990 -- right now. Apart from the obvious best and wisest idea of "just wait for the 40th anniversary, since it may bring something even better for you", I'd like to hear your thoughts on the current choices. Please note that currently I don't plan to acquire more than one Nautilus, so getting multiple choices is not really an option, even for the long run.

BTW, I'm just a little bit afraid of the 40th anniversary, and may act before the new models are unveiled. My concern is that Patek may oversize one of the models and that would render the watch useless to me, since I have a thin wrist. I'm also afraid of whatever a new Nautilus model might be, it will simply be too pricy for me to afford. 5980P? Wow, it would be stunning -- and also stunningly expensive Same goes for a hypothetical PC Nautilus or 5726/1R, etc.

As for the listed choices, my pro/cons are:

5726:
+ a very useful complication
+ not too thin, not too thick, perfect size in every way
+ most affordable of the three models
+ available as brand new from ADs
- not available with the classic Nautilus blue dial
- most likely the least popular of all the Nautilus variants -- resale value may suffer due to this
- I'm a bit ambivalent about having a moon phase on a sports watch -- this is totally debatable, of course

5980:
+ my personal favorite design of the three
+ probably the most unique dial design too
+ seems to be quite popular and may get iconic one day in the future, considering it was a very important model for Patek
+ white dial version may get collectible, considering the very short production run and relative unpopularity of that version -- maybe it's the right choice afterall?
- not available from ADs anymore
- quite rare and expensive to get a sealed or truly unworn piece
- a bit on the thick side

5990:
+ available as brand new from ADs
- most expensive of the three
- I don't travel enough to put the complication to good use
- I'm not fond of the ears, they look too large to me -- maybe it's just the photos?
- dial looks too busy -- but maybe it's just until I get accustomed to it
- case is a bit too thick, although not much thicker than the 5980 :)
- not available with the classic Nautilus blue dial
- too new model, it's not quite clear what Patek would make of it. Will it become a true icon like the 5980?

I would love to hear your thoughts on this And sorry for the long post.

Tags
5726 , 5980 , 5990 , nautilus