The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 May 2017, 12:47 PM   #31
KDS777
Banned

Watch: 16618LB
I just showed this thread to my wife.
KDS777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 07:09 PM   #32
mercman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126660 D-Blue
My TT sub 16613 was sent for a service least week. RSC contacted my A.D. yesterday stating that it also required a Crown (worn), Bezel insert (scratched and Pearl cracked) and Crystal (Hairline crack and minute "nibbles" around the edge). total cost including the service...£820.
mercman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 07:26 PM   #33
Bob the brush
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016 Explorer.
Take it off? I didn't know you could do that!
Bob the brush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 07:35 PM   #34
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicavenger View Post
We can all agree everyone has been charged a different price for the crystal.
Many years ago I was charged about $250 AUD for a EXP II Crystal plus a service.
About one year ago I think it was about $350 AUD for a DSSD Crystal along with a much needed service.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 12:09 AM   #35
taxico
"TRF" Member

Watch: on my wrist!
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideclock View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but Rolex makes no profit on parts during service, right?
we'd like to think they don't, but they probably do...
taxico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 12:14 AM   #36
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
400-600
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 03:43 AM   #37
Nikko
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS White Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDS777 View Post
I just showed this thread to my wife.
I hope it scares her into only removing it over a pillow!

Took it to CD Peacock last night and the tech was at Rolex for training all week. He's going to call me when he gets back and looks at it. Salesman, who may or may not know anything, said he figured $1K would be the minimum. Not sure how he got there exactly, but I also didn't think it was worth questioning him when he didn't know any better then I did.

I've come to the conclusion this won't be cheap and I'm starting to accept it!
Old 24 May 2017, 09:32 AM   #38
lotus425
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex EXPII
original Rolex crystals have the engraved crown hologram on the 6 o' clock position when viewed under a magnifier. Aftermarket crystals are much cheaper but do not have the engraved crown hologram.

The decision of going OEM vs aftermarket crystal replacement depends on how much you want to spend on this repair. Do you see your self selling this watch in the future? Can you live with a watch with none genuine aftermarket parts?

Lots of Frankenstein modified Rolex watches on the gray market. From bezels, dials, crystals, lumes, and hands. Some feel comfortable wearing a Rolex with none genuine parts.

We see the same attitude in the car culture. Especially in the Ferrari scene, Some car connoisseurs swear by original equipment on their cars (i.e. cars should not be altered from its original intent in any way or form). Some enthusiasts choose to replace the rims and tires, change out the bumpers, and exhaust system for a personal touch.

You have a choice to bring it to the Rolex Service Center for the complete peace of mind and pay premium for their service. Or you can seek out independent watch makers to perform the crystal replacement and save the money toward your next watch.
lotus425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 09:41 AM   #39
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus425 View Post
original Rolex crystals have the engraved crown hologram on the 6 o' clock position when viewed under a magnifier. Aftermarket crystals are much cheaper but do not have the engraved crown hologram.

The decision of going OEM vs aftermarket crystal replacement depends on how much you want to spend on this repair. Do you see your self selling this watch in the future? Can you live with a watch with none genuine aftermarket parts?

Lots of Frankenstein modified Rolex watches on the gray market. From bezels, dials, crystals, lumes, and hands. Some feel comfortable wearing a Rolex with none genuine parts.

We see the same attitude in the car culture. Especially in the Ferrari scene, Some car connoisseurs swear by original equipment on their cars (i.e. cars should not be altered from its original intent in any way or form). Some enthusiasts choose to replace the rims and tires, change out the bumpers, and exhaust system for a personal touch.

You have a choice to bring it to the Rolex Service Center for the complete peace of mind and pay premium for their service. Or you can seek out independent watch makers to perform the crystal replacement and save the money toward your next watch.
Or you can use an Indpendent and OEM parts and save 50-60% with an exceptional watchmaker. Nobody suggested using an after market crystal. The fact is I would never trust RSC with any of my vintage watches. Now modern watches like this are a different story. I am all about keeping watch as pure as possible!

But if people like to spend extra money too each his own. There are just many solid independents that do super quality work for much better prices. There is a reason they work on the most expensive, collectible vintage Rolexes and most collectors I know would never send to RSC.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 10:13 AM   #40
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
This should settle it (without service) from RUSA NY
Old 24 May 2017, 10:39 AM   #41
KDS777
Banned

Watch: 16618LB
Nikko.......

I bought her the same watch but with the smooth bezel.........she thought $1000 more or less to repair it wasn't bad.

Yikes !!!! Here's hoping for a soft landing if it happens to her.
KDS777 is offline   Reply With Quote