The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 October 2016, 07:36 AM   #1
quanghaiii
"TRF" Member

Discounts at rolex boutique

Hi guys,
I know that the rolex boutiques in london are a collaboration between the dealer and rolex and i'm curious as if you can negotiate discounts at the boutiques like you do in a authorized dealer store? Also is it too much if i expect the discount for full gold pieces like the daydate and president lady datejust to be 20%?
thanks in advance.
quanghaiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2016, 08:15 AM   #2
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
I've only successfully negotiated a discount from Panerai and JLC Boutiques never Rolex Boutiques. I doubt they discount much if any.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2016, 08:17 AM   #3
srtown
Banned

Watch: 116333 slate dial
I was trying on watches at Rolex in Chicago. They would not offer a discount of any kind. Best they would do is ship one from Indiana to my house so the taxes would be lower. I ended up buying from a seller here.
srtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2016, 08:20 AM   #4
Mick P
Banned

Watch: 39mm Explorer
Dear quanghaiii

How can I put this nicely - You have as much chance of extracting a discount out of Rolex in one of their boutiques as you have of shoving butter up a porcupines rectum with a red hot needle.

Rolex sell via boutiques in order to strictly control prices and that means no discounts ever.

Regards

Mick
Mick P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2016, 08:22 AM   #5
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
Dear quanghaiii

How can I put this nicely - You have as much chance of extracting a discount out of Rolex in one of their boutiques as you have of shoving butter up a porcupines rectum with a red hot needle.

Rolex sell via boutiques in order to strictly control prices and that means no discounts ever.

Regards

Mick
Excuse me, the correct term is "melted butter".
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2016, 08:24 AM   #6
Mick P
Banned

Watch: 39mm Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
Excuse me, the correct term is "melted butter".
OK fair point.
Mick P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2016, 08:25 AM   #7
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
OK fair point.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2016, 08:48 AM   #8
Oyster Al
"TRF" Member

You guys are hilarious
Oyster Al is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2016, 08:50 AM   #9
quanghaiii
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Dear quanghaiii

Regards

Mick
Thanks a bunch really appreciate it. I will now stay away from the boutiques and just go to the regular authorized stores instead
Old 9 October 2016, 08:50 AM   #10
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
From a boutique even on a PM piece 10% is tough these days. Omega boutique was only giving me 12%.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2016, 08:53 AM   #11
Watchgeek5000
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Instead of asking here which means absolutely nothing, go to the boutique and give it your best shot! I've been told many things aren't possible in life, but they are!
Watchgeek5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2016, 08:57 AM   #12
quanghaiii
"TRF" Member

Also is it normal to expect a 20% discount at a authorized dealer store (not the boutique) for full gold daydate and president lady datejust?
Old 9 October 2016, 08:59 AM   #13
quanghaiii
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
From a boutique even on a PM piece 10% is tough these days. Omega boutique was only giving me 12%.
That's understandable. I suppose boutiques are for the ones who know nothing about rolex and could not care less about the price.
Old 9 October 2016, 09:00 AM   #14
JCZ5
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I think if you are going to buy both, that would be a reasonable ask

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JCZ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2016, 09:06 AM   #15
Bilk22
"TRF" Member

Rolex boutiques are prohibited from discounting. ADs are also prohibited from selling below retail. This is how Rolex protects the brand.

Now behind the scenes, does Rolex look the other way when they know an AD is moving stock thru a GM dealer just by historical volume from a particular AD? You bet. They still want to make money and move product. But the official line is, no discounting Rolex over the counter.
Bilk22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2016, 09:09 AM   #16
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
Quote:
Originally Posted by quanghaiii View Post
Also is it normal to expect a 20% discount at a authorized dealer store (not the boutique) for full gold daydate and president lady datejust?
25% minimum for me on full gold anything. 30% is not impossible. Especially on ladies models in full gold.
japenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2016, 09:20 AM   #17
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
Am I correct in thinking that the only difference between a boutique and an AD is that the boutique sells exclusively Rolex, whereas an AD sells other brands/jewellery as well?

I know that Rolex itself only actually owns one shop on the planet, and that's the one in Geneva. (By the way, I've been there and it is far from impressive).

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2016, 09:25 AM   #18
grantfrost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Dear quanghaiii

Regards

Mick
100 percent right they wouldnt even give me a cleaning cloth
grantfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2016, 09:35 AM   #19
andreturning
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Wow i feel lucky to have such a great local AD. Great discounts. On steel subs they are a little tight but we all know how those sell like hotcakes.I still payed less then retail on my no date sub out the door including tax.
Old 9 October 2016, 09:56 AM   #20
Valedictorian
"TRF" Member

Rolex boutique in Dubai gives up to 10% discount for steel watches and 12.5% for gold watches.
Valedictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2016, 10:02 AM   #21
quanghaiii
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valedictorian View Post
Rolex boutique in Dubai gives up to 10% discount for steel watches and 12.5% for gold watches.
I can understand why only 12.5% for full gold pieces in dubai
Old 9 October 2016, 10:04 AM   #22
quanghaiii
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by japenney View Post
25% minimum for me on full gold anything. 30% is not impossible. Especially on ladies models in full gold.
is that in canada or in the uk? if it's in canada then you got such a nice dealer. the company that retails rolex in vietnam only gives maximum 15% discount.
Old 9 October 2016, 10:10 AM   #23
quanghaiii
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreturning View Post
Wow i feel lucky to have such a great local AD. Great discounts. On steel subs they are a little tight but we all know how those sell like hotcakes.I still payed less then retail on my no date sub out the door including tax.
ADs are different mate. You could always expect a discount at the AD even a small amount on ss sport models. I care more about the full gold ones since those are the ones that even 1% of msrp could be a big difference.
Old 9 October 2016, 10:36 AM   #24
japenney
"TRF" Member

Quote:
is that in canada or in the uk? if it's in canada then you got such a nice dealer. the company that retails rolex in vietnam only gives maximum 15% discount.
This is in Canada. You should still be able to get 25%. ESPECIALLY if you can find an AD with it in stock. Ladies full gold watches are not flying off the shelves I assure you.

Sent by my pet Gekko
Old 9 October 2016, 10:50 AM   #25
quanghaiii
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is in Canada. You should still be able to get 25%. ESPECIALLY if you can find an AD with it in stock. Ladies full gold watches are not flying off the shelves I assure you.

Sent by my pet Gekko
Hopefully it's the same in the uk for full gold president dj31. most pp i know wear the two tone with jubilee which has a much more feasible price tag. sam situation should be applied to the dd40 right?
Old 9 October 2016, 10:56 AM   #26
japenney
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hopefully it's the same in the uk for full gold president dj31. most pp i know wear the two tone with jubilee which has a much more feasible price tag. sam situation should be applied to the dd40 right?
There are several additional factors to consider:

1. Is the watch in stock and have they been trying to sell it for a while = greater chance of larger discount. If special order than smaller chance.

2. Large AD in urban city = smaller chance at discount. You want to contact AD's in cities with medium to small populations. Preferably family owned AD's.

3. Women's watches are more likely to be discounted than men's from my experience. 25% on a DD40 may be possible. 20-22% is bare minimum imo. They are making thousands of $$$ on these sales compared to SS. They want to move full gold models because the more of these they can sell the more sports models they can get.
japenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2016, 12:51 PM   #27
quanghaiii
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There are several additional factors to consider:

1. Is the watch in stock and have they been trying to sell it for a while = greater chance of larger discount. If special order than smaller chance.

2. Large AD in urban city = smaller chance at discount. You want to contact AD's in cities with medium to small populations. Preferably family owned AD's.

3. Women's watches are more likely to be discounted than men's from my experience. 25% on a DD40 may be possible. 20-22% is bare minimum imo. They are making thousands of $$$ on these sales compared to SS. They want to move full gold models because the more of these they can sell the more sports models they can get.
You sir got everything right
only one thing for me is that i dont have anything to travel anywhere outside london. however i think the bigger the ad, the better chance of being able to scoop up both watches with the exact dial and color combinations at the same time, which would make talking business much easier. You already know how those 31mm lady datejust with president bracelet are hard to sell and to find one with the desired material and dial waiting inside the small shops along with the correct dd40 is super hard.
With that said im going the larger store route.
Old 9 October 2016, 09:21 PM   #28
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow-Dweller View Post
Am I correct in thinking that the only difference between a boutique and an AD is that the boutique sells exclusively Rolex, whereas an AD sells other brands/jewellery as well?

I know that Rolex itself only actually owns one shop on the planet, and that's the one in Geneva. (By the way, I've been there and it is far from impressive).
That's what I thought, but then I've been in a Fraser Hart that they redid and called a boutique I'm sure, while they were selling the usual other brands.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2016, 10:44 PM   #29
leftnose
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
I've only successfully negotiated a discount from Panerai and JLC Boutiques never Rolex Boutiques. I doubt they discount much if any.
I was offered a discount at an IWC Boutique as well. Didn't buy the watch there as the price was still too high.
leftnose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2016, 12:31 AM   #30
Investr
Banned

Watch: Constantly changes
Not a chance!!
Investr is offline   Reply With Quote