The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 October 2016, 12:33 AM   #31
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Does the porcupine need to be alive?
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2016, 03:19 AM   #32
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
Dear quanghaiii

..... shoving butter up a porcupines rectum with a red hot needle.

Mick
That's an interesting image... :-)
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2017, 08:28 PM   #33
Starter
"TRF" Member

Sorry to zombie this thread, but these responses were all in 2016, when the days of wine and roses for the Swiss watch industry were still in effect... How about now, since things have fallen off a cliff?

I ask because I'm in Spain, and my friend has a good relationship with a Rolex AD, who will offer a nice discount on all models (that and the VAT refund will make for a great discount). Problem is, they only have the watch my girlfriend wants. The one I want is only at the official Boutique, literally walking distance right down the street.

What are my chances of a discount there in 2017? Still akin to the sucessful molestation of a porcupine with melted butter?

How about if I buy both at the boutique?
Starter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2017, 09:25 PM   #34
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter View Post
Sorry to zombie this thread, but these responses were all in 2016, when the days of wine and roses for the Swiss watch industry were still in effect... How about now, since things have fallen off a cliff?

I ask because I'm in Spain, and my friend has a good relationship with a Rolex AD, who will offer a nice discount on all models (that and the VAT refund will make for a great discount). Problem is, they only have the watch my girlfriend wants. The one I want is only at the official Boutique, literally walking distance right down the street.

What are my chances of a discount there in 2017? Still akin to the sucessful molestation of a porcupine with melted butter?

How about if I buy both at the boutique?
There's only one way to find out. Just ask.
The Rolex Boutiques in Hong Kong have always offered the same discounts as ADs, which is 5% off most models, except the most in-demand pieces.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2017, 09:52 PM   #35
ssetem
"TRF" Member

Watch: blro,daytc,lv,blnr
they do discount on precious metal + two tone
ssetem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2017, 10:36 PM   #36
Batman1
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT - Master 11
I was offered 20% in San Francisco on a gold watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Batman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2017, 01:36 AM   #37
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilk22 View Post
ADs are also prohibited from selling below retail. .
This is simply not true. Please don't give out mis-information. AD's can and do discount. Whether or not this person can get a discount depends on any number of variables and while its true the boutiques in my very limited experience with them will not discount, saying a US or European AD can't or won't is laughable.
jonnyz1245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2017, 03:01 AM   #38
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quanghaiii View Post
Also is it normal to expect a 20% discount at a authorized dealer store (not the boutique) for full gold daydate and president lady datejust?
Is there such a thing as "normal?"

With this fixation on discounts Vs the actual watch sounds like you may not be ready to buy a luxury product...Or really care for Rolex.

How about some melted butter?
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2017, 03:05 AM   #39
alamla01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreturning View Post
Wow i feel lucky to have such a great local AD. Great discounts. On steel subs they are a little tight but we all know how those sell like hotcakes.I still payed less then retail on my no date sub out the door including tax.
Who's your AD?
alamla01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 07:09 AM   #40
SamP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680/8 & '88 16528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
Dear quanghaiii

How can I put this nicely - You have as much chance of extracting a discount out of Rolex in one of their boutiques as you have of shoving butter up a porcupines rectum with a red hot needle.

Rolex sell via boutiques in order to strictly control prices and that means no discounts ever.

Regards

Mick
Didn't realise we had a poet amongst our brethren!
Roses are red, violets are blue,
My poetry sucks, but I dig Rolexs!
SamP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 07:27 AM   #41
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Full price is the Fair Price @ Boutique
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 09:06 AM   #42
Starter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post

With this fixation on discounts Vs the actual watch sounds like you may not be ready to buy a luxury product...Or really care for Rolex.

Dude, come on... Rolex is like Sandals Jamaica... It's not the Four Seasons Maldives. Don't get me wrong, they make great watches, and I love my Rolexes, but they're not exactly Holy Trinity, are they? Dunno if sniffing haughtily is entirely appropriate when someone goes looking for a deal from a company who, WIS and celebrities aside, makes most of their money from realtors and middle-management types. I say ask for a discount. Why pay more? Never hurts to ask...
Starter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 12:08 PM   #43
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreturning View Post
Wow i feel lucky to have such a great local AD. Great discounts. On steel subs they are a little tight but we all know how those sell like hotcakes.I still payed less then retail on my no date sub out the door including tax.
In the US, unless you are in a high traffic/income area with lots of tourists, you should be able to extract at least a small discount on most SS sports models.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 12:13 PM   #44
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Wow. So, those who aren't uber rich and ask about discounts and have an average job making average money, such that saving a couple thousand dollars--or even a couple hundred dollars--matters to them......aren't ready to own a Rolex? How can you even see us way down here from up on your high horse?
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 11:37 PM   #45
Speed
"TRF" Member

Discounts at rolex boutique

Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
Wow. So, those who aren't uber rich and ask about discounts and have an average job making average money, such that saving a couple thousand dollars--or even a couple hundred dollars--matters to them......aren't ready to own a Rolex? How can you even see us way down here from up on your high horse?

Sorry. I didn't mean to imply savings aren't important. My bad. I have the same horse you do...believe me.

It's just the incessant focus on discounts, discounts, discounts gets pretty tiresome here. "What's the average I should expect on a Sub at an AD I've never purchased from" etc etc. buying at an airport / foreign country / risking customs to try to save on purchase price and then pay Duty?

And here - at a Boutique no less.

This one I believe was all about buying a gold model...and *still* discount-focused. Why not buy Steel model then, and pocket plenty of $$$ and enjoy the brand? That's all.
Old 23 May 2017, 12:02 AM   #46
wytrader
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD
One aspect I think a lot of people miss with these how much discount, availability etc threads is relative price. Since the Brexit vote the UK has been the cheapest place in the world at MSRP in GBP. With a relatively high USD America has been on the high end of the MSRP range. Mainland Europe at 19-21% VAT has always been an issue but many buyers can buy tax free and pay a minimal duty when arriving back home so the fact that certain pieces are more readily available in the USA vs other area's seems logical. As for price and discounts nothing seems permanent as its a supply and demand game with global buyers and relatively fixed local prices with change exchange rates. If the AD's could be selling all of their stock at MSRP there would be no discounts (or grey dealers) so the level of discounts is just proportional to the AD's local demand.
126610LV
wytrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 01:22 AM   #47
Alpino
"TRF" Member

Somewhere in France ... sometimes in the past ...

Those days it was valid for all Rolex models. I personnally bought my Explorer II at that occasion.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0006.jpg (84.7 KB, 392 views)
Alpino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 02:34 AM   #48
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpino View Post

Somewhere in France ... sometimes in the past ...

Those days it was valid for all Rolex models. I personnally bought my Explorer II at that occasion.

Wow!

Must make the folks in Geneva cringe!
Old 23 May 2017, 02:42 AM   #49
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I think so

Quote:
Originally Posted by quanghaiii View Post
Also is it normal to expect a 20% discount at a authorized dealer store (not the boutique) for full gold daydate and president lady datejust?
I would not buy otherwise.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 02:45 AM   #50
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Save as much as you

Quote:
Sorry. I didn't mean to imply savings aren't important. My bad. I have the same horse you do...believe me.

It's just the incessant focus on discounts, discounts, discounts gets pretty tiresome here. "What's the average I should expect on a Sub at an AD I've never purchased from" etc etc. buying at an airport / foreign country / risking customs to try to save on purchase price and then pay Duty?

And here - at a Boutique no less.

This one I believe was all about buying a gold model...and *still* discount-focused. Why not buy Steel model then, and pocket plenty of $$$ and enjoy the brand? That's all.
Buy what you want at the best possible price. No shame in that.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 03:07 AM   #51
jamesreid978
"TRF" Member

Anyone ever considered that the reason some people are able to buy a Rolex is due to their negotiating in other aspects of life? If it's through business and securing higher profit or as an employee securing a pay rise. The ability to spend less money on the same item/service or make more money for the same item/service is key to financial success. Doing your research in order to make the best financial decision is a very smart move in my opinion and shouldn't be mocked here.
jamesreid978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 04:19 AM   #52
33JS
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 50th Ann
Was offered 20% off a white gold Pepsi last year. Still too expensive.
33JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 05:43 AM   #53
Speed
"TRF" Member

Discounts at rolex boutique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Buy what you want at the best possible price. No shame in that.

100% agreed.

And a boutique would likely *not* be a place to get the "best" price. It may be the place to go only for exclusive product - I.e. boutique only.
Old 23 May 2017, 05:43 AM   #54
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Is today April fools day...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 05:53 AM   #55
henry333
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
No way. People that said they will give discount in that high of a percent never went to London. U.K. Prices are pretty much the lowerest already and the ad or boutique know it.
Best % I got was 2.5 % on a rg Daytona from 2 stores . I got 2.5 because one said they will match the other store. But then this was around a year ago.
henry333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 07:03 AM   #56
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesreid978 View Post
Anyone ever considered that the reason some people are able to buy a Rolex is due to their negotiating in other aspects of life? If it's through business and securing higher profit or as an employee securing a pay rise. The ability to spend less money on the same item/service or make more money for the same item/service is key to financial success. Doing your research in order to make the best financial decision is a very smart move in my opinion and shouldn't be mocked here.

I am certain great negotiators in various aspects of life can get some markdown on a luxury watch - even from a Rolex boutique.

The thing is...for the average first-time-punter who has zero relationship with a vendor selling a fast moving product ( not necessarily a PM model mind you) what can S/he offer the seller? Short term repeat business? Referrals to big spending friends? Something special? Nudge, nudge?

Another uncontrollable is the sales persons situation. Are they desperate for a sale? Can they grant discounts without getting approval? Do they know the buyer? is the sales rep a pushover?

All the foregoing simply says is there is no such thing as an average discount...or expectation. The variables are too vast.

Further, the flexibility at a boutique is even less....

That is all.
Old 23 May 2017, 09:43 AM   #57
clb521
"TRF" Member

Most ADs and boutiques I've been to have offered or even hinted at a discount. Ive decided i will only buy from there if its the same price as through a TS.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
clb521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 10:04 AM   #58
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Totally depends on the reference.
Precious metals have more discount than SS.
ADs discount more than boutiques.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 11:02 AM   #59
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Rolex boutiques are owned and operated by a local watch store. They usually have a separate entrance, but may be connected to the rest of the watch store that carries other watch brands. They have fancy furniture and display cases, but they basically sell the same watches as a multi-brand Rolex AD. Some boutiques get some special pieces, but they are typically more jewelry pieces (e.g. diamond encrusted bezel or MOP dial).

I don't know if there is a set rule or guideline for discount at boutiques. I have been to a Rolex "boutique" in London that offered discounts. However this was before Brexit when the GBP was quite strong compared to other major currencies and their prices were more expensive than the rest of the EU. However with the weak GBP and everyone wanting to get a great deal buying watches in the UK, I don't know if they need to discount on most of their popular pieces. But I would also say that it never hurts to ask.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 11:10 AM   #60
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Ask for a discount at Goyard or any true luxury brand, and they will laugh at you as demand exceeds supply and exclusivity (rarity and very high price) maintains the high list price.

Rolex has been transitioning to a luxury brand for the last decade or two, but there is generally too much supply to be truly exclusive. Maybe they will get there, if that is indeed the goal. Only Rolex executives know their positioning strategy.

Quote:
I am certain great negotiators in various aspects of life can get some markdown on a luxury watch - even from a Rolex boutique.

The thing is...for the average first-time-punter who has zero relationship with a vendor selling a fast moving product ( not necessarily a PM model mind you) what can S/he offer the seller? Short term repeat business? Referrals to big spending friends? Something special? Nudge, nudge?

Another uncontrollable is the sales persons situation. Are they desperate for a sale? Can they grant discounts without getting approval? Do they know the buyer? is the sales rep a pushover?

All the foregoing simply says is there is no such thing as an average discount...or expectation. The variables are too vast.

Further, the flexibility at a boutique is even less....

That is all.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote