The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 20 May 2017, 10:35 AM   #61
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurowj View Post
I bought the watch CPO from Tourneau because I got a great deal and wanted the peace of mind knowing I was getting their warranty (2 years)

Most of their watches do not come with box and papers, but I was lucky enough to get one that came with box and papers, so that's the only reason I even got the warranty card and became aware of this discrepancy.

Basically, it comes down to whether I am getting tourneu's in house 2 year warranty or 4 years remaining from Rolex's warranty
Tourneau's warranty is worthless. You don't want any of their watchmakers working on your watch this I can assure you.
Old 20 May 2017, 11:08 AM   #62
Randy63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Icon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjeeunitx View Post
Worse advice ever. If he were to follow your advice, he will smear the lettering and ultimately, ruin the card.
Actually, you are dead wrong. You too can do the WD-40 test in your spare time. Write in Sharpie on an expired credit card or driver's license. Let it dry. Apply WD-40 to a tissue or cotton ball and wipe. The Sharpie will be completely removed without smearing or ruining anything underneath it. Like it was never there.

Randy
Old 20 May 2017, 11:23 AM   #63
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
An undated card is as invalid as a wrongly dated card, so it solves nothing. Also we have seen here the results of someone trying to wipe off the date, and it just removed the strip revealing the word "invalid" (or similar) underneath. Finally, tampering with the warranty card is basically fraud. And we tend to discourage that here.
Agree.
Old 20 May 2017, 03:39 PM   #64
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I really don't think 1 penny should make a difference. I think I got a very good deal on the watch regardless of if the watch only has a 2 year tourneau warranty as opposed to at least 4 more years of a Rolex warranty. Many people buy pre owned rolexes with no warranty...

I love the watch and don't see any reason to return a watch simply because the warranty card is causing confusion. I think we all just want to know all the facts when we make expensive purchases.
This is my point about spending .01 over $5800 for this watch, because that is EXACTLY what you have here...a Rolex with no warranty..

If you paid more than $5800.00 all in, it was too much for this piece.

The warranty from Tourneau is worthless and not to be considered in this equation what so ever...

So...I don't think you got as great a deal as you think you did...and for that reason, the watch should be returned for full refund. Sorry
Old 20 May 2017, 05:50 PM   #65
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
This is my point about spending .01 over $5800 for this watch, because that is EXACTLY what you have here...a Rolex with no warranty..
First, OP is asking for advice, but a lot of it depends on how much he actually paid for the watch. So, out with it, what was the price?

Second, are all the experienced Rolex owners agreeing on here that even though the watch was purchased in 2016, it does not have a valid warranty without a warranty card that exactly matches the swipe date? That seems a bit harsh. Rolex can't just look it up if taken to RSC for service? If you send a Rolex into RSC for service do you have to mail you card with it?

Can you send it to RSC Dallas for some minor procedure like replacing a screw, and maybe they will check the watch and provide you with paperwork that says something official about the watch?

If you got the original AD to tell you it was sold in 2016, can you work the AD a little more to try to get the exact swipe date? Then you can alter the date to the correct date. Is the card date always the exact same as the swipe date and will Rolex refuse warranty service if it is not?

Or take the watch, box, papers, and card into the original AD. Tell them you bought the watch second hand but the warranty card was filled out wrong or not at all. Ask them to write the correct date on the card. Maybe even clean the fraudulent date off with WD-40 before you go in. And, before I am excoriated for suggesting that.....the OP has a fraudulent card right now. He would like to make it a legitimate card by having the correct swipe date on it. That seems totally on the up and up to me.

As a last resort option, clean the date off the card, and write in 1/1/2016. You know the card was swiped sometime after that date, so you are not trying to get anymore warranty than the 5 years due on the watch. if you send it in for service, RSC will see that the card says 1/1/2016 but that it was swiped later in 2016. Maybe they will figure the AD thought he had a sale on 1/1/2016, wrote in the date, and then the sale never went through. In any case, the OP is only trying to rectify paperwork to match up with reality.
Old 20 May 2017, 08:06 PM   #66
JohnLT
"TRF" Member

Watch: time fly
Throw the card back in the box and enjoy the watch. Non issue IMO.
Old 20 May 2017, 08:24 PM   #67
Gaijin
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
This is just weird. Super head scratch here. p
Old 20 May 2017, 09:44 PM   #68
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Don't overthink it, 99.99 % you don't need the warranty anyway. Just keep the card in the box and enjoy your watch on the wrist
Old 20 May 2017, 09:54 PM   #69
Jocke
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
Just take it to the dealer that sold the watch and let him do this:

Nothing wrong to do this so long the data match with the data base.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Old 20 May 2017, 11:40 PM   #70
Blue_Lume
Banned

Watch: Alleen Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
Just take it to the dealer that sold the watch and let him do this:

Nothing wrong to do this so long the data match with the data base.
that's what i said about changing the 0 to 6 and i prefaced it by saying i'm a savage who does the wrong thing all the time. a lunatic.

this guy says change the 0 to 6 and he's a legend on this site.

what does that mean?
don't second guess my suggestions, perhaps.

btw the card means nothing and when you send it in for service you get a new one, in paper. when you re-sell the watch you'd supply THAT card. the original would be worthless.
Old 21 May 2017, 01:40 AM   #71
Jocke
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Lume View Post
that's what i said about changing the 0 to 6 and i prefaced it by saying i'm a savage who does the wrong thing all the time. a lunatic.

this guy says change the 0 to 6 and he's a legend on this site.

what does that mean?
don't second guess my suggestions, perhaps.

btw the card means nothing and when you send it in for service you get a new one, in paper. when you re-sell the watch you'd supply THAT card. the original would be worthless.
I say let the AD that sold it change it if the date match the data base. If the owner change it and it not match the
data base it's not a good idea IMHO.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Old 21 May 2017, 02:34 AM   #72
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy63 View Post
Actually, you are dead wrong. You too can do the WD-40 test in your spare time. Write in Sharpie on an expired credit card or driver's license. Let it dry. Apply WD-40 to a tissue or cotton ball and wipe. The Sharpie will be completely removed without smearing or ruining anything underneath it. Like it was never there.

Randy
The area of the warranty card where it includes info and has the "rolexrolexrolex" font in the background, would be a very bad idea to tamper with. It's quite different than what is on a credit card. Won't add anything more other than it is wrong to tamper with the warranty cards and may invalidate the warranty.
Old 21 May 2017, 03:13 AM   #73
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Doesnt Rolex know in their records when and where the watch was sold?? Other than a flipping tool, I see no reason to even worry about the card.
Old 21 May 2017, 12:21 PM   #74
versatile1
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ2 Blue Romans
You stated that the serial number corresponds to a 2016 sale?
What color is the warranty tag, red or green?
Also, it seems to me that the card in the pic is the second generation credit card style warranty card that came out not to long ago. I could be mistaken but I thought pre 2014 was all green

Life is a cruel teacher
It will give you the test first and the lesson later
Old 22 May 2017, 02:09 AM   #75
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by versatile1 View Post
You stated that the serial number corresponds to a 2016 sale?
What color is the warranty tag, red or green?
Also, it seems to me that the card in the pic is the second generation credit card style warranty card that came out not to long ago. I could be mistaken but I thought pre 2014 was all green
Great point. The all green warranty card was used 2006-2012 if I remember correctly. 2013, is when the new, warranty cards started being used (globally).

So, OP the warranty card in your pics to the above point is impossible to have been issued in 2010 (in addition the watch wasn't introduced yet of course). I'm sure the watch is fine, but I'd still make Tourneau give you the explanation why and get to the bottom of what's going on.
Old 22 May 2017, 09:47 PM   #76
xjeeunitx
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
The area of the warranty card where it includes info and has the "rolexrolexrolex" font in the background, would be a very bad idea to tamper with. It's quite different than what is on a credit card. Won't add anything more other than it is wrong to tamper with the warranty cards and may invalidate the warranty.
Right on. This guy just don't know...
Old 22 May 2017, 09:48 PM   #77
xjeeunitx
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy63 View Post

Randy
Try it on your rolex warranty card...
Old 22 May 2017, 11:46 PM   #78
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
So the OP comes on here to say he's got a great deal on a used Sub but the warranty card has the wrong date on it.

Seems like a simple question.

OP gets his answer - yes the date is wrong. Good news is that the OP has probably picked up a 2016 sub for 2010 price.

When the OP bought it he didn't expect a Rolex warranty.

Someone has wrongly dated what was possibly an undated card.

Original AD has confirmed 2016 purchase. As long as the card was swiped Rolex will know when that watch was purchased. Doubtful that the warranty is now invalid because someone screwed up the date on the card. The narrative says the guarantee is valid if the card is filled ot and dated by the original AD. Technically it is.

OP - enjoy your well priced watch. Be happy in the knowledge that its only 1 year or less old, and is most likely still under Rolex warranty in the unlikely event anything should go wrong in the next 1 to 4 years (depending on whether your watch came as new with a 2 or 5 year warranty.)

If something does go wrong, just say the card is lost. I'm sure Rolex SC will be able to confirm when it was originally sold brand new and this confirm if its stull under warranty or not. Thats the whole point of swiping cards and having serial numbers.

If Rolex warranties were entirely based on having a dated card, warranty fraud would be simple and common.

OP - RSC might get picky that you don't have the card but you're still better off than you thought you were when you bought the watch

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Old 23 May 2017, 12:52 AM   #79
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
Just wipe off the date and have a blank card.
Case closed
Old 23 May 2017, 05:00 AM   #80
jurowj
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
So the OP comes on here to say he's got a great deal on a used Sub but the warranty card has the wrong date on it.

Seems like a simple question.

OP gets his answer - yes the date is wrong. Good news is that the OP has probably picked up a 2016 sub for 2010 price.

When the OP bought it he didn't expect a Rolex warranty.

Someone has wrongly dated what was possibly an undated card.

Original AD has confirmed 2016 purchase. As long as the card was swiped Rolex will know when that watch was purchased. Doubtful that the warranty is now invalid because someone screwed up the date on the card. The narrative says the guarantee is valid if the card is filled ot and dated by the original AD. Technically it is.

OP - enjoy your well priced watch. Be happy in the knowledge that its only 1 year or less old, and is most likely still under Rolex warranty in the unlikely event anything should go wrong in the next 1 to 4 years (depending on whether your watch came as new with a 2 or 5 year warranty.)

If something does go wrong, just say the card is lost. I'm sure Rolex SC will be able to confirm when it was originally sold brand new and this confirm if its stull under warranty or not. Thats the whole point of swiping cards and having serial numbers.

If Rolex warranties were entirely based on having a dated card, warranty fraud would be simple and common.

OP - RSC might get picky that you don't have the card but you're still better off than you thought you were when you bought the watch
Thank you so much for the sane, measured response. This is exactly what I was trying to hear/understand fully.
Old 23 May 2017, 05:04 AM   #81
jurowj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post

If you paid more than $5800.00 all in, it was too much for this piece.

The warranty from Tourneau is worthless and not to be considered in this equation what so ever...

So...I don't think you got as great a deal as you think you did...and for that reason, the watch should be returned for full refund. Sorry
I think you are misunderstanding the point I was trying to make. Let me explain.

First of all, .01 cent should never make a difference in respect to ANY purchase, whether its 10 dollars or 25,000 dollars. That is an extremely arbitrary and irrelevant amount.

Second, it is very difficult to find ceramic subs with box+papers for less than 5800. Can it be done? I'm sure. But yes, I did pay more. Just not much more.

What I am trying to say is, why would a wrongly dated warranty card be a "returnable offense" when many people buy watches without warranties at all?

I know everyone on this site hates tourneau, but having at minimum a 2 year warranty from them is more valuable than no warranty. For some people like me, it is difficult to afford out of pocket costs to have something repaired, so a 2 year warranty from an AD with a history is more valuable than nothing at all. And don't tell me there are people on this website who can do a better job fixing a problem with a Rolex than Tourneau. Thats irrelevant.
Old 24 May 2017, 12:35 AM   #82
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:

What I am trying to say is, why would a wrongly dated warranty card be a "returnable offense" when many people buy watches without warranties at all?
It would only be a returnable offence if the watch was brand new IMO. (And even then you'd just get a replacement card) You would be crazy to return your 2016 watch bought for 2012 money

WORST case scenario is that the watch is 4 years younger than you thought you had bought.

BEST case scenario is that the watch is 4 years younger than you thought you had bought with 4 years full Rolex warranty left.

Thats a win my friend. And a good one at that.

Only a crazy person would return that watch for a refund

Old 24 May 2017, 12:36 AM   #83
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you so much for the sane, measured response. This is exactly what I was trying to hear/understand fully.
My pleasure

Old 27 May 2017, 05:44 AM   #84
jurowj
"TRF" Member

Update: went to the Rolex store today. Explained the situation and the first thing they said was that they had never ever seen an issue like this before and that it had to be handled by people who don't even work in NYC. Mind you, I was at the Rolex headquarters in NYC and not as some regular store.

They explained that since I purchased the watch pre owned from another AD, that in itself voids the Rolex 5 year warranty.

I shouldn't be worried because after all, it's a Rolex that's about 1 year old. It shouldn't have any problems. Still, they seemed very angry at both the AD who originally sold the watch and the AD that sold it to me. They asked for documentation and told me they have serious problems with how both sales were handled.
Old 27 May 2017, 06:06 AM   #85
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Update: went to the Rolex store today. Explained the situation and the first thing they said was that they had never ever seen an issue like this before and that it had to be handled by people who don't even work in NYC. Mind you, I was at the Rolex headquarters in NYC and not as some regular store.

They explained that since I purchased the watch pre owned from another AD, that in itself voids the Rolex 5 year warranty.

I shouldn't be worried because after all, it's a Rolex that's about 1 year old. It shouldn't have any problems. Still, they seemed very angry at both the AD who originally sold the watch and the AD that sold it to me. They asked for documentation and told me they have serious problems with how both sales were handled.
Thanks for passing along an update

I'm not surprised to hear at all how upset Rolex is at either AD upon initial conversation

Did they give you any indication into what would be the outcome?

I'd imagine best case they provide you with a brand new example and would force the originating AD foot a large portion, while they examine and take back ownership of the watch. Or perhaps lesser extreme force the originating AD to foot the bill for a full service for you to authenticate (along with new 2 year Rolex service warranty). Perhaps charge 2nd AD with some sort of costs as well as they should certainly understand as an AD that your example wasn't even around in 2010 (it was introduced in 2012 and it's still in production, so no excuses for this oversight by an AD, even if pre-owned.)

Good luck with everything
Old 27 May 2017, 06:31 AM   #86
saskmh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Update:

This confuses me. An AD is not allowed to sell a used watch within the warranty period?

So if I buy a brand new op39 and six months later decide to trade it in on a new explorer and that AD sells the watch again as a used watch...the warranty is now void???

Am I misunderstanding something here? I thought the warranty followed the watch unless it was a grey market sale like buying from Costco or something.
Old 27 May 2017, 06:32 AM   #87
jurowj
"TRF" Member

They basically said that while the warranty card was null, they could not yet do anything for me because the people who "decide these matters" weren't located in that office. So I'm not sure what the "Final outcome" will be yet, especially since they said they had never seen anything like this before

They asked me to provide them with a proof of purchase from Tourneau, but I am not sure I see the benefit to this. Why would they want it? Wouldn't it only validate their argument that the warranty was void? Wouldn't I be better off just not sending it to them?

Also, couldn't figure out why they're so mad at Tourneau. All Tourneau did was sell me a pre owned watch that happened to come with box and papers. Any thoughts at where they went wrong?
Old 27 May 2017, 06:33 AM   #88
jurowj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskmh View Post
This confuses me. An AD is not allowed to sell a used watch within the warranty period?

So if I buy a brand new op39 and six months later decide to trade it in on a new explorer and that AD sells the watch again as a used watch...the warranty is now void???

Am I misunderstanding something here? I thought the warranty followed the watch unless it was a grey market sale like buying from Costco or something.
This is how I understood it. The warranty does follow the watch, but I think Rolex terms re-sale by a jeweler/ AD as intervention by 3rd party, which the warranty card says will void the warranty
Old 27 May 2017, 07:06 AM   #89
Pavlos
"TRF" Member

What should be a pleasurable experience has turned to a nightmare

I take it Tournau are refusing to give you a refund?
Old 27 May 2017, 02:07 PM   #90
jurowj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlos View Post
I take it Tournau are refusing to give you a refund?
No, I could get a refund from Tourneau but why would I? I love my SubC no date, there is nothing wrong with the watch and I've never wanted to return it regardless of this entire situation. Just simply wanted clarity.
Closed Thread