The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 15 December 2018, 03:28 PM   #1
cptmike03
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M, 16234
Can you ID this Rolex? Help needed

Greetings!
I have been a Rolex fan for years and currently wear a no date sub Almost daily. I love it.

Recently I inherited an older Rolex from my grandfather, and after searching the net I can't find another that looks like this. According to him, he bought it overseas sometime in the mid to late 1950s or early 1960s. It is an oyster perpetual date with sword type hands, red date numbers and stick numerals. The strange thing is that is Also has a red second hand. I can't find a picture like it online. It still winds and works, and self winds as well. See attached pictures.

Can anyone tell me anything about this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
If this is not some very rare model, I would like to wear it occasionally in his memory. Would Rolex still be able to service a watch of this age or should I send it to someone else?

Thank you in advance!
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1988.JPG (87.1 KB, 252 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1989.JPG (95.2 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1990.JPG (74.1 KB, 250 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1991.JPG (88.7 KB, 240 views)
cptmike03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 03:30 PM   #2
cptmike03
"TRF" Member

Forgot to mention the date numerals in this picture are black but sometimes they are red.
Old 15 December 2018, 03:45 PM   #3
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
It’s a very good looking 1501 you have right there.
Old 15 December 2018, 04:02 PM   #4
cptmike03
"TRF" Member

Thanks! I just looked online and I can't find a 1501 that looks like this. None I am seeing have the red second hand and most have engine tuned type machined bezel and different stick hour and minute hands. Is this a rare version of the 1501 or would this be somewhat common and I just can't find the right picture of another? If rare, would it be too rare to be worn? Should I send it to Rolex for service or is this watch too old?

Thank you very much!
Old 15 December 2018, 05:05 PM   #5
cptmike03
"TRF" Member

So, curiosity got the best of me and I took the bracelet off. It revealed it is a model 6534 with the serial number of 4097xx which based on that I read online would put it right at 1959 (correct me if I am wrong).

I searched online with this new information and still cannot find a picture of one that looks like this. My question continues to be if this is some kind of special 6534 or something that was modified? Did they factory produce 6534 with a red second hand and these combination of features? Is this rare? I still can't find a picture of one like this, with stick numerals, red second hand and sword hour and Min hands. If anyone has any more info it would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you all in advance! Of course this only makes me want to buy more vintage rolexs, lol! No cure for this!

Last edited by cptmike03; 15 December 2018 at 05:20 PM.. Reason: Additional info
Old 15 December 2018, 05:09 PM   #6
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Very nice.

My watchmaker would love to service that one.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 01:16 AM   #7
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

I hesitate to go out on a limb based on those photos; when asking questions it is helpful to post large detailed photos. The pic of the dial is very small.

However ... I tend to think that there has been some mixing and matching in the past, not uncommon. It's more common to see stick hands with those stick markers. The dauphine or alpha hands are more frequently seen with triangular/diamond markers. Also, the photos is small, it looks like the lume in the hands is MUCH darker than the dots on the dial. While it's common for them to age differently, it looks a bit extreme to me. Are the hands and markers the same color? In the photo the hands look silver and the markers look gilt, but the lighting is a bit strange and the photo is very small. All of that said, many variations were sold, and it's probably not possible to know these things with certainty.

In any case, I'm sure it will look very nice on your wrist. I would get it serviced and wear it as your grandfather did.
Old 16 December 2018, 01:25 AM   #8
cptmike03
"TRF" Member

Thank you so much for the information. I am going to take close up pictures and post them right now. Why would there be mixing and matching done in those days? Would it be something that was done at the point of sale like customization or during service or repair? I appreciate it, and am going to take more pictures now so hopefully you have the answers to your questions
Old 16 December 2018, 01:42 AM   #9
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

I just realized that the dial says "T SWISS T", which means it's a later dial. IIRC, these dials started in the mid-1960s. This suggests that some parts were replaced during a service, which was very common. The hour and minute hands could certainly be original. The red seconds hand is not familiar to me.
Old 16 December 2018, 01:48 AM   #10
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Looks like a regular ol' 6534 with a later service dial. The "roulette date" is normal. Rolex wouldn't service mine; too old. Cool watch though. 19mm Jubilees are a lot rarer than 19mm Oyster bracelets
powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 01:49 AM   #11
cptmike03
"TRF" Member

Here are close up photos as requested. With these can you or anyone else tell if this was a modified watch? I took them in different light if that helps. Once again thank you and everyone else for all the help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1997.JPG (73.3 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1998.JPG (77.2 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1999.JPG (94.2 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2001.JPG (81.9 KB, 187 views)
Old 16 December 2018, 02:26 AM   #12
cptmike03
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone again for all the info. It seems I have something of little collector value as its original dial has been replaced (correct me if I am wrong)but sky high sentimental value, which is the way I prefer it.

The red seconds hand is still a mystery, and someone please chime in if you know more. I intend on sending it that fellow in Texas (Bob Ridley) that everyone on this forum speaks highly about. I am wearing it right now, and as a watch that has not been worn in probably 40 years, it is keeping accurate time!

This also appears to have a non hacking movement as I can't get the seconds hand to stop. Is this true of the movement in a 6534?

Once again a HUGE thank you to all the good people on this forum.
Old 16 December 2018, 02:36 AM   #13
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptmike03 View Post
Thanks everyone again for all the info. It seems I have something of little collector value as its original dial has been replaced (correct me if I am wrong)but sky high sentimental value, which is the way I prefer it.

The red seconds hand is still a mystery, and someone please chime in if you know more. I intend on sending it that fellow in Texas (Bob Ridley) that everyone on this forum speaks highly about. I am wearing it right now, and as a watch that has not been worn in probably 40 years, it is keeping accurate time!

This also appears to have a non hacking movement as I can't get the seconds hand to stop. Is this true of the movement in a 6534?

Once again a HUGE thank you to all the good people on this forum.
Correct, 1000 series calibers (and early 1500's) were not hacking

Sent from my SM-J337P using Tapatalk
powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 03:55 AM   #14
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

The bracelet is interesting as well. The clasp is called the 'big logo' (the stampings on the blades of clasp) and is reasonably rare and desirable. The end links look to be 55 which are 20mm pieces but your watch is a 34mm which usually have 19mm EPs.

It should have 22 links from the factory and if it hasn't been too terribly shortened over the years 1t could have considerable value itself (1500+).

The red second hand could be as simple as grandpop complaining he could barely see it and an accommodating watchmaker saying let me paint that red for you. Things were much more relaxed then and the originality nazis hadn't even been born yet. :)
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 04:33 AM   #15
cptmike03
"TRF" Member

Richard, thank you very much this is awesome info and I had no idea. There does seem to be something strange about the end links as they sit up a bit (just a hair) higher then the case, and they made a straight line scrach through the serial number and model number, making them very hard to read. I had to use lots of light and a loop.

It indeed still has 22 links. Being that is has this rare bracelet, I will not wear it very much or maybe even put it on a leather strap or something like that to preserve the bracelet. This seems to be a wise idea given it's rarety.

It sounds like the bracelet is worth as much, if not more then the watch?

Either way this is Turing out to be an interesting watch! I have been wearing it for the first time today and it is super comfortable. makes me want to start collecting vintage. It's too bad Rolex does not have a retro type series and bring some of these models back.

Thank you to everyone for their knowledge. I admit that while I know modern Rolex, the vintage stuff from this era was a bit of a mystery. Any comments are welcome!
Old 16 December 2018, 04:58 AM   #16
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Don't equate weight with strength, that old bracelet will probably outlast you. I notice it still has some granpa DNA on it and a good cleaning will give it years more. You could get it ultrasounded or put it in a small container, (bracelet only) cover it with dish soap and pour hot water about an inch over it. Wait an hour, swirl it around until the water turns black, rinse it and keep doing it until the water remains clear.
Old 16 December 2018, 05:21 AM   #17
cptmike03
"TRF" Member

Richard, thanks again, great tip! I usually clean the watches with the vareat spray and their brush, but this method sounds like a much better and deeper clean. I am definitely going to try that. I was worried about damaging the rare bracelet during normal wear, but if you think it is built that tough then it should be ok I would imagine. There is a lot of flex in it when the watch is turned on its side, but it still seems solid (if that makes any sense).

Would you recommend me replacing the end links with 19mm ones? It also seems like the plastic crystal has a few light scratches on it. Would you recommend replacing this at servicing?

Thanks again!
Old 16 December 2018, 05:40 AM   #18
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Those 55 EPs have probably been filed down to fit your 19mm lugs. All old jubilees have a lot of flex and it scares hell out of those used to the stuff they put on them now. Relax grasshopper you're in a new world now. :)

As far as details about your watch, just do whatever Phil and Bob tell you and you'll be fine.
Old 16 December 2018, 06:07 AM   #19
cptmike03
"TRF" Member

Thanks again. New world indeed and having a blast so far! I can absolutly see how is would get addictive with researching a vintage Rolex you just bought and learning all these small idiosyncrasies, as well as the history of everything. I can definitely see this becoming a new hobby (and much more afordable in most cases then buying new ones). Are there a few reference books on the small odd and ends of these watches ( vintage Rolex , not just this model) that you can recommend?

I will be calling him first thing Monday. Seeing a watch that has not been worn for 4 decades wake up and start keeping accurate time definitely gives me more of an appreciation for the brand. What wonderful little machines.

Thanks again!
Old 16 December 2018, 06:35 AM   #20
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

I know what you're asking but vintage Rolex is still an evolving field. There are books of various models and with some history, some accurate, some not. You won't be interested in many of them, poke around, take your time and figure out where your interests might lie. Begin your studies there, find info on those, find people who are expert in those watches, buy and sell few. Nothing focuses the mind like having cash in the game, lol.

You may find your tastes evolve and the cycle begins again. Of course, by that time you are hopelessly enslaved by these charming little relics. Have fun! :)
Old 16 December 2018, 12:48 PM   #21
cptmike03
"TRF" Member

Thank you very much again. I do dread it but can see the addiction starting, hahaha. Thanks for the great advice!