The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 12 November 2018, 01:30 AM   #31
sixers
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513, 6424, 16800
TY guys for all of the support/replies/information, I've made an appointment to get it first thing this Monday, can't be more excited

So in the midst of my Rolex hunt of course I keep sharing photos is my best friend and now he also have his eyes on a 16800 (so we can get a bro-lex) It is also going to be his very first rolex, (he has also zero experience with watches like me) what do you guys think about this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolex-16800...S69:rk:10:pf:0

Many many thanks in advance!
sixers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2018, 01:50 AM   #32
Pureform
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixers View Post
Hello all,

I had been looking for a watch since 2 or 3 years ago but nothing had really appeal to me until I discover all the fun with vintage rolex world. 5513 is my favorite but the price point is too much for me. So I find this 1995, 16800, the dial is the version which the lum dot doesn’t has the platinum ring around it (which I much prefer) It started to show a bit of patina which hopefully will age beautifully.

The watch and bracelet has quite marking and scratches then others examples around the same age. But for 6.5k it seems like a deal? The sales person also told me the markings would be a lot less noticeable after they brush it lightly (not polishing) I’ve no idea if that’s true or not but the dial and hands seems to be in beautiful condition. (there are 3 tiny black dots on the dial which I am told is an easy clean) Any thing to watch out here? Obviously I am a bit nervous making this fairly big purchase.

Thank you so much for your time in advance.

bezel pearl looks like a replacement luminova to me... Otherwise looks good to me, just make sure the indices are not relumed since the hands have dark patina...

If you change to a correct bezel and get the case reworked/service you will need 100 percent, plus if you need to replace parts the price goes up you gonna be in total possibly another 2k... $6500 plus tax that around 7k plus extras equal $9000... There is alotttttttt of them going for 10.5k like new
and you probobly can talk them down with warranty from trusted sellers...

Plus check to see the date code on the clasp matches the year of the watch...
Pureform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2018, 02:19 AM   #33
sixers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pureform View Post
bezel pearl looks like a replacement luminova to me... Otherwise looks good to me, just make sure the indices are not relumed since the hands have dark patina...

If you change to a correct bezel and get the case reworked/service you will need 100 percent, plus if you need to replace parts the price goes up you gonna be in total possibly another 2k... $6500 plus tax that around 7k plus extras equal $9000... There is alotttttttt of them going for 10.5k like new

Thank you so much for looking into it Pureform.

ya I agree the bezel pearl looks replaced. where is a good place to find a original bezel? I really love that faded look...
Old 13 November 2018, 04:27 AM   #34
sixers
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks for the tips Pureform. It's a 1984. The serial number is 8267xxx, I stopped by again and the date code on the clasp is H (which another post on the forum suggest the date code is from 1983)

Now I believe the watch is actually a 1983 as both the serial number and the date code on the clasp suggest so, not sure why the sales person old me it is a 1984..

Old 13 November 2018, 05:55 AM   #35
Pureform
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for the tips Pureform. It's a 1984. The serial number is 8267xxx, I stopped by again and the date code on the clasp is H (which another post on the forum suggest the date code is from 1983)

Now I believe the watch is actually a 1983 as both the serial number and the date code on the clasp suggest so, not sure why the sales person old me it is a 1984..

H clasp code def a 1983 and your serial number falls into 1983 which looks all correct cause in 1984 it's when they transitioned to white surround indices... Alot of people make mistakes on the year but he wasn't too far off... Is the movement a 3035? Are you buying it?
Pureform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 06:49 AM   #36
sixers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
H clasp code def a 1983 and your serial number falls into 1983 which looks all correct cause in 1984 it's when they transitioned to white surround indices... Alot of people make mistakes on the year but he wasn't too far off... Is the movement a 3035? Are you buying it?
I think I am going for it, when I look super close, there is a very tiny hairline on between the twelve and one on the dial (please see the green circle) and there is something black around the 10th hour lum (north east of the 10 lum dot) The hands are also a bit corroded. These new photos also show lum and the hands aged very differently, the reality seems to be less pronounced.

Attaching a few photos from their site which make it looks a lot worst. Anyone catching anything new before I swipe my card?

I will ask her to check the moment, should it be a 3035?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6939 (3).jpg (95.7 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7267 (1).jpg (94.9 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7269 (1).jpg (72.3 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7266 (1).jpg (93.2 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7268 (1).jpg (73.1 KB, 226 views)
Old 13 November 2018, 08:20 AM   #37
exador
Banned

Is that scratch on dial or crystal? Doesn't show some angles.
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 08:26 AM   #38
sixers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exador View Post
Is that scratch on dial or crystal? Doesn't show some angles.
It's on the dial, almost invisible (if you look into the photos I post earlier) you only see it if you are super up close, it's kinda like a white hairline. The photos with the white background (taken by the store) made it more pronounced.

At first I thought it was on the crystal too but then I tried to adjust the long hand over that area and figured it is on the dial.

Is that something big if I need to sell it one day? (not sure if I would, but just in case) Personally that doesn't quite brother me...

Thanks again!
Old 13 November 2018, 10:31 AM   #39
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Quote:

I will ask her to check the moment, should it be a 3035?
Yeah 3035. Date change by turning the crown counter clockwise. Took me a second to figure that out when I first received mine. I thought the date was broken.

Corroded hands are very typical for this era, they're steel instead of the modern white gold. As others have said watch looks good and I'd definitely jump on it for that price. For comparison I paid $8250 for mine with box/papers in 2016. Bezel insert is a replacement though. Should have 593 end links.

Here's mine, 8.1mil serial with H clasp code also. Corroded hands too.

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 02:33 PM   #40
sixers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillo38 View Post
Yeah 3035. Date change by turning the crown counter clockwise. Took me a second to figure that out when I first received mine. I thought the date was broken.

Corroded hands are very typical for this era, they're steel instead of the modern white gold. As others have said watch looks good and I'd definitely jump on it for that price. For comparison I paid $8250 for mine with box/papers in 2016. Bezel insert is a replacement though. Should have 593 end links.

Here's mine, 8.1mil serial with H clasp code also. Corroded hands too.
Thanks Sillo38. May be the corroded hands will become desirable one day like spider or tropical dial

The date does change when turning the crown, so I guess it is a 3035 (Is it something called the quick set date?)

I finally made my purchase today! Super excited, I am trying to hunt down a nicely faded bezel, is eBay the best place for that?

Thanks again all!
Old 13 November 2018, 02:49 PM   #41
mineral
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks Sillo38. May be the corroded hands will become desirable one day like spider or tropical dial

The date does change when turning the crown, so I guess it is a 3035 (Is it something called the quick set date?)

I finally made my purchase today! Super excited, I am trying to hunt down a nicely faded bezel, is eBay the best place for that?

Thanks again all!

I think the watch is bargain at that price. You can’t find any matte dial 16800 with this price. I will jump on it immediately.

By the way The tropical is desirable but not the spider dial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 13 November 2018, 04:22 PM   #42
sixers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineral View Post
I think the watch is bargain at that price. You can’t find any matte dial 16800 with this price. I will jump on it immediately.

By the way The tropical is desirable but not the spider dial.

Thanks Mineral!

I just bought it this afternoon, thanks again for everyone's help

Now I'm looking into a nicely faded bezel...
Old 13 November 2018, 11:15 PM   #43
mineral
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks Mineral!

I just bought it this afternoon, thanks again for everyone's help

Now I'm looking into a nicely faded bezel...

Happy for you. Now pictures please... enjoy the beauty

Old 15 November 2018, 08:39 PM   #44
sixers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Happy for you. Now pictures please... enjoy the beauty

Hello all,

Here are some photos! Finally bring it home and can't be happier =)

Thanks again for everyone's help, it had really made a different for my shopping experience. If anyone is around the NYC area, please don't hesitate to send me a halo...

A few things on my to-do list now, please feel free to let me know what you think about these:

- get the watch check up
- get it on a NATO (I'm thinking black/military green)
- hunt down a nicely faded bezel (any advice on where to get those?)
- may be consider this at some point in 2019/2020... really love that Plexi look
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=419657[/LIST]
Is this too much modification? :P I am planning to keep wearing it without any further polishing, the scratches doesn't brother me and for me it almost adds to it, I guess it is down to personal taste
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7348.jpg (155.2 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7349.jpg (152.9 KB, 207 views)
Old 15 November 2018, 11:12 PM   #45
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Congrats! Looks great and I definitely think you got it for a pretty good price. Now we need some wrist shots.

I'd probably check ebay and watchrecon for an insert.

The crystal is something I wouldn't do personally, it's one of the reasons I like this reference, but it's yours now so do what you want. The plastic crystals do give a nice look to the watch.

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 11:46 PM   #46
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
Buy it. If you feel it needs a polish, LAWW is the place but I would live with it a while. Its part of the vintage charm for me. Oops, I see you bought it. Look at the Vintage Rolex Forum in the market section for all things vintage, good luck.
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 06:00 AM   #47
sixers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhanddds View Post
Buy it. If you feel it needs a polish, LAWW is the place but I would live with it a while. Its part of the vintage charm for me. Oops, I see you bought it. Look at the Vintage Rolex Forum in the market section for all things vintage, good luck.
Thanks lhanddds, I think I am going to leave it as-is. The scratches doesn't brother me at all after wearing it for two weeks.

Switched to a NATO and loving it so much more...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8825.JPG (126.7 KB, 161 views)
Old 30 November 2018, 08:17 AM   #48
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
Quote:
Thanks lhanddds, I think I am going to leave it as-is. The scratches doesn't brother me at all after wearing it for two weeks.

You are now officially hooked

lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 12:49 PM   #49
koryong
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 1675
Quote:

Awesome
koryong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 04:25 AM   #50
CPRWATCH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master
Congratulations & happy your leaving the watch as is . There's nothing nicer than an honest watch that's lived a life . Don't really get the need to return 30+ year old watches to NOS condition myself , don't get me wrong some watches need some tlc if needed .
CPRWATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2018, 01:52 PM   #51
ShortyBtmG
"TRF" Member

you have a good one there. Where i am from, this 16800 non matte and better condition is asking for USD 9000! I wish I have the funds and be in USA...
ShortyBtmG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2018, 05:29 PM   #52
kelevra
"TRF" Member

For that price the watch is a steal. The prices for 16800 matte dial rolex will go up I am pretty sure. To me it's the perfect watch. Saphire, matte dial and quick set. The best of all in my opinion.
A nice bezel with orange tritium pearl is definitely needed... just sold my last one yesterday....
If I would have read that somewhat earlier I would have sold it to you...
But it's a pretty easy find for about 200 - 300 bucks... And definitely worth the money!!
Good buy!!
kelevra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2018, 05:54 PM   #53
uncleluck
"TRF" Member

Very nice buy.

Jeez I was reading that, seeing the replies was like a suspense thriller! I was getting worried it’d sell for you. Glad you got it in the end!
uncleluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 01:47 PM   #54
sixers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelevra View Post
For that price the watch is a steal. The prices for 16800 matte dial rolex will go up I am pretty sure. To me it's the perfect watch. Saphire, matte dial and quick set. The best of all in my opinion.
A nice bezel with orange tritium pearl is definitely needed... just sold my last one yesterday....
If I would have read that somewhat earlier I would have sold it to you...
But it's a pretty easy find for about 200 - 300 bucks... And definitely worth the money!!
Good buy!!
Thanks Kelevra! I am wearing it everyday and really loving it. Again, condition wise it isn't perfect but for me it is just a honest presentation of what it is, and for my first it is easy to take care of and I don't have to be so careful about, which for me is a great thing.

I'd agree the price of 16800 matt dial is going to go up... wondering if I should get a few more if a come across good examples for investment

I am trying to hunt down a bezel and it seems not easy task, do you have insight about how to tell if the bezel is a 16800 or 16610? Someone point out to me the '4' is different as I must say I looked for a while and still wasn't able to tell where is difference is.... I think a nicely faded bezel will add so much to the look of it
Old 7 December 2018, 01:50 PM   #55
sixers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPRWATCH View Post
Congratulations & happy your leaving the watch as is . There's nothing nicer than an honest watch that's lived a life . Don't really get the need to return 30+ year old watches to NOS condition myself , don't get me wrong some watches need some tlc if needed .
Thanks CPRWATCH, I totally agree with you, I think I am just going to leave the watch as-is. It is going to be a much better match with me and my other objects as well (From my shoes, to my clothes, to my car... I am never able to keep things crisps/super clean/shiny anyways)
Old 7 December 2018, 01:54 PM   #56
sixers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortyBtmG View Post
you have a good one there. Where i am from, this 16800 non matte and better condition is asking for USD 9000! I wish I have the funds and be in USA...
wow! that sounds expensive!

However, I must disclose for the watch I got, there are not papers and original box or what so ever. (the bracelet is the right time-period tho) and there are some scratches on the case. I was in Hong Kong last week and all the vintage watches in the store there are in almost flawless condition, people seems to wear them much more carefully or the store only take really great examples... versus in the US I am seeing a great spectrum of different conditions. What is the watch scene like in Malaysia?
Old 7 December 2018, 10:23 PM   #57
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:

Now you are really enjoying it! Nothing like a Sub on a NATO
Sublovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 04:31 PM   #58
sixers
"TRF" Member

So, while I'm enjoying my 16800, I bought myself a $10 blacklight on Amazon and I am not sure if I've done myself a favor or not.

Under the blacklight, I figured the dial is glowing nicely and the hands are all dead. Is that normal at all?

Someone already point out the bezel isn't original so the pearl glow super bright (I am trying to hunt down an original one now) Is there any reason why the glow of the dial and hands are so different? A few of you also mentioned in this thread your 16800 also has corroded hands, is the lum material on the hands also a bit different?

Many thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0096.jpg (187.4 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0097.jpg (180.7 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0099.jpg (197.0 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0102.jpg (170.6 KB, 45 views)
Old 16 December 2018, 04:49 PM   #59
mineral
"TRF" Member

I know some of the tritium dial still glow under black light.

Does it glow after expose to the normal light?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 16 December 2018, 06:00 PM   #60
sixers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I know some of the tritium dial still glow under black light.

Does it glow after expose to the normal light?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
no, both the dial and hands are pitch dark. The only thing that glows is the pearl on replacement bezel.