The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 17 December 2018, 05:03 AM   #1
Paul H
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2001 Explorer ll
Icon20 Black dial Explorer type models

This is my first time posting although I have been viewing the forum for a month or two. My situation is that I am trying to identify certain Rolex models with black faces as I want to replace my current watch with such a model. I like clean and simple watches without date and I am attracted to the Explorer particularly the 1016 but the scarcity and cost of these make considering alternatives a sensible option. There are several models that I have come across such as the 116000 and 114200 that in some cases have black dials and some with the quarter Arabic numerals closely resembling the Explorer. I did come across somewhere on the forum, and cannot find it again, a black faced watch with full vertical Arabic numerals although it did have date, I think it was something like 116334.

What I need help with is to identify such models to help make the search easier and also what is the difference between 11600 and 116000? My inclination is to stay with a slightly older model without the engraved reflective inner bezel. Any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated.
Paul H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 06:03 AM   #2
Juhuatai
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5508 & 9401
Why not a 14270 Explorer?
Juhuatai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 08:21 AM   #3
Paul H
"TRF" Member

I have considered the 14270 & 114270 very carefully but I am just not attracted to the white gold indices and numerals as I feel they are too busy and detract from the clean appearance of the watch. Having said that they can represent good value and if there were no acceptable alternatives I would consider a 14270/114270.
Old 17 December 2018, 08:29 AM   #4
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
I have considered the 14270 & 114270 very carefully but I am just not attracted to the white gold indices and numerals as I feel they are too busy and detract from the clean appearance of the watch.
Maybe you should post some photos of the watches that you're interested in, since you didn't mention this requirement in the original post. Otherwise people are just going to waste their time making suggestions.

That said, if you like the 1016, you should just buy one. Ultimately, you probably won't be satisfied with a substitute.
Old 17 December 2018, 09:09 AM   #5
Toronto Soup King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016.
Look at the black dial OP 34 if buying new. I have a 1016 and it wears not far off that size. Otherwise for vintage, I don't know what would work except an Air King or the Explorer.
Toronto Soup King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 12:00 PM   #6
Paul H
"TRF" Member

I have tried to attach some photos of watches but unfortunately I have a very new computer with a different operating system that I cannot seem to make work so pictures will have to wait. To clarify, I am not necessarily obsessed with an Explorer only that this model was appealing to me. I am not a collector so box & papers etc. are not important requirement for me. I wear a watch every day, all day and I want to find a good replacement for my current watch. I have found several references on the forum of a 36mm OP 11600 with black face and 3 6 9 numerals that was market apparently only in Japan. Does anyone know anything about this watch?