The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 21 August 2010, 01:49 PM   #1
Joey_V
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub 16610 M
Looking for an AP RO...

What do you guys think of this?

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...=5235254&rid=0

Thanks fellas.

Joey

Current Rotation: Rolex Submariner Date (M) - 1/08, Rolex Milgauss GV (V) - 2/10, Rolex SS Black Daytona (V) - 6/10, Rolex GMTIIC (G) - 5/11, TAG Heuer Silverstone (286/1860) - 1/2015
Former-watches: Omega PO/2535.80/2254, TAG Carrera/F1x2/Monaco, Panerai 312K/292L
Wish List: Panerai 270/505, Rolex SMURF, Rolex RG Daytona, Rolex DSSD
Joey_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2010, 03:27 PM   #2
lee2375
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit Hoarder
That is a beauty....the non-offshores wear really well, I have a blk dial 15300ST and looking for a chrono (like one you posted but white dial) in the future

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Las Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member: 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member: 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member: 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas International GTG 2019
lee2375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2010, 11:17 PM   #3
argee1977
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC
Well, i like it so much i bought one

PANERAI, MORE THAN A WATCH, LESS THAN A KITKAT
argee1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2010, 11:22 PM   #4
WatchTimes
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: It's a Rolex!
I will have one!
There are no two ways about it I will buy one in the next couple years.

Its a stunning piece to add to any collection or an AMAZING watch to own if you are only a one watch kinda guy.

I like the ROO but the RO is simply timeless and can be worn with anything anywhere. I feel the ROO isn't as flexible, perhaps a tad more "Fun" but just not something you would wear to a true formal event usually.

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2010, 12:16 AM   #5
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
I personally would go with a ROO. Just my taste!! Either the new Panda themes, a Rubberclad w/ black face or a Safari.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2010, 12:21 AM   #6
argee1977
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan1965 View Post
I personally would go with a ROO. Just my taste!! Either the new Panda themes, a Rubberclad w/ black face or a Safari.

It all depends on how it fits and feels on the wrist, the ROO's were too big for me and looked a little silly on a smaller wrist, plus i'm not a fan of the sub-dials being at 6,9 and 12.

Now the new ROO Diver, well that's just a real beauty, again i wish i had bigger wrists as that watch just looks perfect.

Old 22 August 2010, 03:19 AM   #7
Joey_V
"TRF" Member

Either the RO chrono or the ROO are fantastic. I tried it on at another local AD for the first time last week and WOW.

The RO fits like a glove. The ROO fits well with a bracelet.... I didn't find the strap to be too comfortable secondary to the clasp that kind of sticks to one side of the wrist.

The Panda themes was sooo nice.

Current Rotation: Rolex Submariner Date (M) - 1/08, Rolex Milgauss GV (V) - 2/10, Rolex SS Black Daytona (V) - 6/10, Rolex GMTIIC (G) - 5/11, TAG Heuer Silverstone (286/1860) - 1/2015
Former-watches: Omega PO/2535.80/2254, TAG Carrera/F1x2/Monaco, Panerai 312K/292L
Old 22 August 2010, 04:05 AM   #8
argee1977
"TRF" Member

Yeah, i had the deployant and it's not comfortable to wear at all, ended up selling it and buy an AP Bands buckle, the guy who bought the deployant off me sold it within a week as well.

I don't understand why they don't make a more comfortable buckle, they have the ability, the AP RO bracelet has a butterfly style buckle, why not use that, or turn the current one round and shape the clasp a little

Old 22 August 2010, 03:48 PM   #9
lee2375
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit Hoarder
Quote:
Originally Posted by argee1977 View Post
Yeah, i had the deployant and it's not comfortable to wear at all, ended up selling it and buy an AP Bands buckle, the guy who bought the deployant off me sold it within a week as well.

I don't understand why they don't make a more comfortable buckle, they have the ability, the AP RO bracelet has a butterfly style buckle, why not use that, or turn the current one round and shape the clasp a little
+100000000!!! Love the ROO on straps but can't get used them. Got rid of the Panda and Volcano earlier this month because of that frickin' deployant.

The Diver has a tang, that makes it much more comfortable

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Las Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member: 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member: 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member: 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas International GTG 2019
lee2375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2010, 04:06 PM   #10
WatchTimes
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: It's a Rolex!
The Diver is HOT
I understand for the right price you can get the tang for the other ROOs
(just food for thought)

If I was to have to pick a RO right now Id have a hard time.
I like the Chrono and Dual Time and could find great use in both.
I think Id likely end up with the Chrono but my issue with the Chrono is I like the true black face so Id have to consider a second hand couple year old model when they still had a black dial. I also really like the new silver dial with red hands but not sure if I want to go that little sport flair on a RO.

In a perfect world I think Id have a RO Dual Time (white), ROO Diver and a RG ROO. With those three I really think youd be set for ANYTHING and Id ad the VC Overseas Chrono to round out the pack (gotta hit the lotto first)

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2010, 10:27 PM   #11
argee1977
"TRF" Member

I think the tang on the ROO Diver is bigger than 18mm, so a different strap would been needed, the whole deployant is a bit of a bugbear with almost everyone i've spoken too, you need a good sized wrist to wear one, even then if it rubs the wrong way on the inside it's a nightmare to wear.

It's also annoying when you see so many pictures and this huge gap at the bottom/side where the deployant sticks out, why can't AP just redesign this thing, or bring out some 18mm tangs that are suitable for the RO and ROO

Old 23 August 2010, 01:49 AM   #12
Joey_V
"TRF" Member

I don't like the deployant.... at all!

BTW, what's this AP Sub? Is it smaller than the ROO?

I can wear both the RO and ROO on bracelet... I hope I can pull off an AP Sub especially if it's with a tang and not a stupid deployant.

Thoughts?

Old 23 August 2010, 05:31 AM   #13
argee1977
"TRF" Member

The AP Diver is the same width as the ROO and ROO Scuba's, it's similar to the Scuba, except it's slightly thicker, it has the in-house 3120 movement inside (same as the RO and newer ROO's) and is pictured above, it also comes with a nice new tang buckle and wider strap. It is a real beauty.

Old 23 August 2010, 12:04 PM   #14
Shade
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of 'em..
I just bought mine yesterday!

Shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2010, 12:07 PM   #15
Shade
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey_V View Post
I don't like the deployant.... at all!

I can wear both the RO and ROO on bracelet... I hope I can pull off an AP Sub especially if it's with a tang and not a stupid deployant.

Thoughts?
I *HATE* the deployant as well. I had to reverse the strap so that the end of the strap is facing -inwards- instead of the usual outwards. Can I am having troubling looking for a tang buckle in Rose Gold since yesterday (darn it!)..
Old 23 August 2010, 12:14 PM   #16
Zirotti
"TRF" Member

Watch: Invicta
I just can't get into them...
Zirotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2010, 10:24 PM   #17
Joey_V
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argee1977 View Post
The AP Diver is the same width as the ROO and ROO Scuba's, it's similar to the Scuba, except it's slightly thicker, it has the in-house 3120 movement inside (same as the RO and newer ROO's) and is pictured above, it also comes with a nice new tang buckle and wider strap. It is a real beauty.
So what's the real difference between the diver and the scuba?

And the retail on them?

And you mentioned that the newer RO and it's variants are with in-house movements now.. What where they equipped with before

Old 24 August 2010, 12:10 AM   #18
Shade
"TRF" Member

From what I know the RO used to be equipped with eta and then jlc and then in-house. On the other hand the ROO is still eta with a piggyback chrono..

Correct me anyone?

Thanks..
Old 24 August 2010, 12:10 AM   #19
Shade
"TRF" Member

From what I know the RO used to be equipped with eta and then jlc and then in-house. On the other hand the ROO is still eta with a piggyback chrono..

Correct me anyone?

Thanks..
Old 24 August 2010, 03:39 AM   #20
Max

If you buy a ROO with an ETA movement, you've bought one for $300 from a replica website. AP is not known as one of the top 3 watch manufacturers in the world because they use ETA movements.
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2010, 04:32 AM   #21
argee1977
"TRF" Member

They started off with the RO Jumbo which had the JLC produced movement in it, although this was a movement that was built for AP, Patek and Vacheron, with all 3 putting in effort in getting the movement made, and JLC were the manufacturers. After that they increased the range and started to use other JLC based movements and then on to their own creations.

It's also worth noting that AP have used a few JLC movements, but this was at a time when AP actually owned a good percentage of JLC, which they then sold to Richemont, although from discussions AP kept certain movements as part of the sale.

It's quite a funny thing with the top end Swiss Watchmakers, Patek, AP, Vacheron, JLC, etc all seem to collaborate on projects in the past and a lot of things were done using input from more than one manufacturer, it's a shame they don't do this as much these days, as a lot of good things happened back then.

I think it's weird sometimes when i look at a Richard Mille who use AP movements in their watches, with such fantastic movements i always think 'why don't AP use them in their watches', but then again, AP own a good percentage of Richard Mille as well, so everytime they sell a RM, AP make a good bit of cash and are almost using the RM to do the six figure watches, while AP can concentrate on selling the Royal Oaks, Offshores and others.

Old 24 August 2010, 05:12 AM   #22
Joey_V
"TRF" Member

So all AP now use inhouse, is that correct?

BTW, Shade - love the watch man!!!

Old 24 August 2010, 05:31 AM   #23
boa2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey_V View Post
So all AP now use inhouse, is that correct?

BTW, Shade - love the watch man!!!
Many yes, but not all.

The same JLC-based 2120 movement used in the first Royal Oak--developed in 1968--has been manufactured for years in-house by AP, as they own all the tooling. It is used as the base for a number of their high end pieces as well...Equation of Time, Jules Audemars Perpetual Calendar, for example. The Royal Oak Chronograph and Edward Piguet chronograph use a Frederic Piguet-based 1185, used also by Blancpain (Fifty Fathoms Chrono) & Vacheron (Overseas Chrono), as well as others.

Many of their models have in-house movements, some not...purposely so.
Old 24 August 2010, 07:54 AM   #24
argee1977
"TRF" Member

Too many people get caught up with the whole in-house thing, i'm seeing a few companies now produce in-house just for the sake of it, there is no other reason and the movements rarely have any better quality than the ETA or outsourced movements they're replacing.

For me a few movements have been created for a reason, as Boa states, the 2120 is for all intents and purposes an AP movement, but it was created for a purpose, it was made as thin as possible, they spent a good amount of time and effort in this, the same with the FP 1185, it was the slimmest column wheel chrono and still one of the best today, the JLC 889 or 899 have been used for decades, but are still doing the job well.

I wouldn't get caught up too much about in-house, unless it's for a movement that was made for a purpose, be that a certain set of complications, a certain size, power reserve, a company showing it's ability to make a movement, etc. But too many companies are coming out with basic movements that offer nothing above an ETA 2824, yet are doubling the price and making it sound like they've created something special.

I have to admit, i love movements, i am a sucker for decorative movements as well, i know they offer nothing about others, but a good finish is nice, but you can put that on an in-house or outsourced movement, some of the nicest movements i've seen are outsourced, such as the Patek Lemania, the Richard Mille AP's and a lot of the Renaud and Papi movements that are in some very expensive watches.

Old 24 August 2010, 09:03 AM   #25
Joey_V
"TRF" Member

Yeah but the reliability or accuracy of an eta vs in-house is not my main concern. I prefer that a company went through extra effort and engineering in creating a more unique movement regardless of its specs.

Old 24 August 2010, 10:08 AM   #26
Shade
"TRF" Member

Double post sorry.
Old 24 August 2010, 10:08 AM   #27
Shade
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the compliments Joey.

About the movements I stand corrected. However I have read at some review that the ROO is indeed a piggyback chrono.. Hence the not aligned pushers with the crown.. Is it true?
Old 24 August 2010, 11:28 AM   #28
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
About the movements I stand corrected. However I have read at some review that the ROO is indeed a piggyback chrono.. Hence the not aligned pushers with the crown.. Is it true?
That is correct.

Here is a really good article about AP: http://www.vblank.ch/articles/audema...t/index-e.html
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2010, 12:14 PM   #29
Rani Drama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Sub
That is a stunning AP i would go with a royal oak offshore though a black themes is stunning on leather. And like someone posted reversing the bands solves the discomfort of the clasp i hear. Lots of people wear ROO's with suits these days it all depends on how avant garde you want to look. It's definitely a more flashy watch and is great for semi formal events and just hanging around town shopping etc... Someone posted a series of photos watch spotting in southern france and it had lots of ap's in them. And i would go with the bands on the AP's it just puts a lot more emphasis on the watch and gives a good contrast.
Rani Drama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2010, 12:15 PM   #30
mfer
"TRF" Member

Just a thought as well, but I heard a basic service from AP runs $1,200...

I think they are beautiful watches, but I want a watch I can afford to service.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote