The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 14 December 2020, 03:36 AM   #91
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigwag View Post
They wouldn't verify a serial number over the phone unfortunately. You'd have to take a punt, buy the watch and send it in for servicing. If they service the watch with the dial still in place, you know they've checked their archives and the watch is good
Some proof please.
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2020, 03:41 AM   #92
ar.parask13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
They wouldn't verify a serial number over the phone unfortunately. You'd have to take a punt, buy the watch and send it in for servicing. If they service the watch with the dial still in place, you know they've checked their archives and the watch is good

Not quite sure that this is the way it works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ar.parask13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2020, 03:43 AM   #93
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Good deal and fair enough.

Agree that my experience was a single contact with RUSA.

However, it would be a reasonable deduction that RUSA keeps s/n information tracking to the AD who eventually sold it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
In afraid it wouldn't in my opinion. It's a reasonable deduction to say that RUSA can provide information about the s/n or the watches sold in a specific timeframe and, if you want, for a specific area of the country, not more.

Let's say that tour watch was sold ten years ago, are you comfortable with saying that your experience proves that Rolex has info about a watch sold in the eighties?

I hope I make myself clear, I'm not an English native speaker and more often than not I have problems to explain what my actual thoughts are.

Inviato dal mio SM-T719 utilizzando Tapatalk
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2020, 03:46 AM   #94
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Carver View Post
Some proof please.
I'm sorry Richard, you won't get any. It seems that for some people it's not necessary to back their claims with sold evidences, Facebook culture at its best.

fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2020, 03:55 AM   #95
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc000 View Post
In afraid it wouldn't in my opinion. It's a reasonable deduction to say that RUSA can provide information about the s/n or the watches sold in a specific timeframe and, if you want, for a specific area of the country, not more.

Let's say that tour watch was sold ten years ago, are you comfortable with saying that your experience proves that Rolex has info about a watch sold in the eighties?

I hope I make myself clear, I'm not an English native speaker and more often than not I have problems to explain what my actual thoughts are.

Well for Tiffany dialed Rolex we are only talking USA. So my experience with RUSA and within the span of time Tiffany was stamping dials (or Rolex on behalf of Tiffany).

Also, see my post #78 - the ages of the watches. This is a long time to be keeping the data.

Lastly, all good distributors would know where their orders were sent. To presume RUSA kept no records is counterintuitive.

So...for the purpose of a logical conclusion ... if one agrees the premises are true, the terms are clear, and the rules of deductive logic are followed, then the conclusion reached is necessarily true.

Just my 2¢ using aristotelian logic.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2020, 04:39 AM   #96
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

I guess a broader question might be does Rolex have a thorough record of every watch ever produced with detailed distribution info and if not when did they start? How many watches are we talking here? 40 million? Guessing.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2020, 04:47 AM   #97
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well for Tiffany dialed Rolex we are only talking USA. So my experience with RUSA and within the span of time Tiffany was stamping dials (or Rolex on behalf of Tiffany).

Also, see my post #78 - the ages of the watches. This is a long time to be keeping the data.

Lastly, all good distributors would know where their orders were sent. To presume RUSA kept no records is counterintuitive.

So...for the purpose of a logical conclusion ... if one agrees the premises are true, the terms are clear, and the rules of deductive logic are followed, then the conclusion reached is necessarily true.

Just my 2¢ using aristotelian logic.

So using your 'logic' of the tens of thousands of fake Tiffany stamped dials that have been submitted for Rolex service over the last 30 years have all been either denied service or forced to buy a new dial, right? Where are those guys? Rolex would provide that information in their estimate so let's see some.:)
Old 14 December 2020, 05:07 AM   #98
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
Richard, it’s pointless, if you don’t understand the value of proper provenance then they must Be blissfully enjoying their collections. Ignoring the ease switching parts and dials, who cares? Ignoring the scores of collectors that tried to validate with Tiffany for years?

I’m happy if others are drawn to the Tiffany dials, I will focus on other other models.
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2020, 05:55 AM   #99
77T

Rolex Tiffany Archive Papers

Quote:
So using your 'logic' of the tens of thousands of fake Tiffany stamped dials that have been submitted for Rolex service over the last 30 years have all been either denied service or forced to buy a new dial, right? Where are those guys? Rolex would provide that information in their estimate so let's see some.:)

No, I’m not suggesting the RSC tracks backwards for every dial on a watch stamped Tiffany.

I was answering the earlier question about Rolex knowing which watches were sent to Tiffany. Since my personal experience was RUSA was able to track back to an AD for my stolen watches, then it was logical that they have the same data for Tiffany, too.

I don’t believe the RSC owes any duty to an owner presenting a Tiffany watch for service other than their standard process. I believe the RSC will identify any non-OEM part during disassembly (to the watchmaker’s best effort) in order to require replacement of aftermarket parts.

You have a good point that anyone might stamp Tiffany on an authentic dial and it would pass by RSC unnoticed.

Old 14 December 2020, 06:51 AM   #100
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No, I’m not suggesting the RSC tracks backwards for every dial on a watch stamped Tiffany.

I was answering the earlier question about Rolex knowing which watches were sent to Tiffany. Since my personal experience was RUSA was able to track back to an AD for my stolen watches, then it was logical that they have the same data for Tiffany, too.

I don’t believe the RSC owes any duty to an owner presenting a Tiffany watch for service other than their standard process. I believe the RSC will identify any non-OEM part during disassembly (to the watchmaker’s best effort) in order to require replacement of aftermarket parts.

You have a good point that anyone might stamp Tiffany on an authentic dial and it would pass by RSC unnoticed.

That is exactly what you were suggesting.
Old 14 December 2020, 07:00 AM   #101
Wigwag
Banned

Quote:
Some proof please.
Prove it isn't true. Phone RSC and ask them.
Wigwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2020, 07:00 AM   #102
Wigwag
Banned

Quote:
I'm sorry Richard, you won't get any. It seems that for some people it's not necessary to back their claims with sold evidences, Facebook culture at its best.

I'm not sure how anyone could evidence an internal RSC procedure. Ask them if you don't believe me
Old 14 December 2020, 07:03 AM   #103
77T

Quote:
That is exactly what you were suggesting.

To clarify...

I stated that Tiffany would validate through their archives. Not that Rolex would.

As this thread wandered into Rolex’s ability, I provided a personal experience where RUSA was able to track a couple of stolen watches for me. But I never stated Rolex would do that in the way Tiffany does.

Old 14 December 2020, 07:12 AM   #104
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
To clarify...

I stated that Tiffany would validate through their archives. Not that Rolex would.

As this thread wandered into Rolex’s ability, I provided a personal experience where RUSA was able to track a couple of stolen watches for me. But I never stated Rolex would do that in the way Tiffany does.

So people should send their Rolex to Tiffany for service? That is your suggestion?
Old 14 December 2020, 07:18 AM   #105
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Prove it isn't true. Phone RSC and ask them.
Why would I, I'm not the one making unproveable statements. :)
Old 14 December 2020, 07:27 AM   #106
Wigwag
Banned

Quote:
You can't disprove my statement.
Old 14 December 2020, 07:29 AM   #107
77T

Quote:
So people should send their Rolex to Tiffany for service? That is your suggestion?

You are not understanding this in the spirit it is offered. Have good rest of your day.

Old 14 December 2020, 07:36 AM   #108
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You are not understanding this in the spirit it is offered. Have good rest of your day.

:)
Old 14 December 2020, 07:45 AM   #109
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You can't disprove my statement.
LOL, I wanted to pursue this to this end because I'm genuinely concerned some noob looking for info on fake Tiffanys might run across this poppycock and make an expensive mistake thinking Rolex will authenticate his shiny new fake Tiffany..

I don't think that's a possibility now. :)
Old 14 December 2020, 07:48 AM   #110
Wigwag
Banned

Quote:
LOL, I wanted to pursue this to this end because I'm genuinely concerned some noob looking for info on fake Tiffanys might run across this poppycock and make an expensive mistake thinking Rolex will authenticate his shiny new fake Tiffany..

I don't think that's a possibility now. :)
RSC will be quite happy to authenticate a Tiffany dial during a full service. If you don't believe me, ask them yourself. I know its hard to admit when you're wrong sometimes, but this is just getting silly now.

End thread
Old 14 December 2020, 07:59 AM   #111
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

No. Those dials should be treated very carefully. Anyone buying one needs papers or else they risk getting ripped off. Anyone on this forum knows that Carver is a reliable source, but if wigwag is happy with his approach to authenticate his purchases, then I’m happy for him.
Old 14 December 2020, 08:06 AM   #112
Wigwag
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry in montreal View Post
No. Those dials should be treated very carefully. Anyone buying one needs papers or else they risk getting ripped off. Anyone on this forum knows that Carver is a reliable source, but if wigwag is happy with his approach to authenticate his purchases, then I’m happy for him.
Personally, I would never buy one of these watches unless it had rock solid, original papers. If I were presented with one, I would take it to RSC and submit it for a service, knowing that they will only service the watch if the dial is correct. These RSC papers wouldn't be worth much either in truth, as it would be easy enough to switch the dial post-service, nor would they reference the dial being Tiffany branded.

You'd know yourself that the dial was genuine and the watch supplied by Tiffany, but not much more.
Old 14 December 2020, 08:18 AM   #113
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
RSC will be quite happy to authenticate a Tiffany dial during a full service. If you don't believe me, ask them yourself. I know its hard to admit when you're wrong sometimes, but this is just getting silly now.

End thread
LOL I see, you lose, declare victory and flounce out. This has been hilarious. :)
Old 14 December 2020, 08:40 AM   #114
Wigwag
Banned

Quote:
LOL I see, you lose, declare victory and flounce out. This has been hilarious. :)
I lose? I wasn't aware there was a game? I only post facts - none of which you have been able to counter.

Agree, this has been hilarious, any credibility you may have had, has been lost.

You're blocked, bye
Old 14 December 2020, 08:49 AM   #115
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Which is you local Rolex dealer that authenticates these dials? Are you comfortable sharing the town you are in?
Old 14 December 2020, 09:23 AM   #116
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I lose? I wasn't aware there was a game? I only post facts - none of which you have been able to counter.

Agree, this has been hilarious, any credibility you may have had, has been lost.

You're blocked, bye
You posted guesses, speculations and hopeful nonsense for all to see. :)
Old 14 December 2020, 09:54 AM   #117
watch-guy.com
Banned

Late to the party.

A friend of mine bought a ref 18038 with a Tiffany dial from?? ebay - not excactly sure where

When he took it to Rolex, they verified it was not correcty and took the dial off the watch and sold him a new dial

I never saw the original watch so it could have been a really bad fake btu it may have also been a pretty good representation of a Tiffany dial- we will never knwo

The fact is Rolex Australia noted it was a fake and removed it

Julian
watch-guy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2020, 12:23 PM   #118
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

“Caveat Emptor” is a rule with few (if any) exceptions, imo.

As to paperwork, I once handled a matter for a printing and paper supply company, and in the warehouse were boxes with old blank invoice/receipt pads from the 1960s-‘80s, including Tiffany, Harry Winston, etc. - the old ones with carbon paper.

(The only thing I saved was one box of “Lunar Laid” bond in Apollo White, presumably from the moon landing era.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg CA2452FF-700F-45A6-B356-68FB7749CFAE.jpeg (91.8 KB, 192 views)
miamiclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2020, 10:57 PM   #119
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes you are, where is your proof that Rolex will service a watch with an illegitimate Tiffany stamping?

Quote:
You posted guesses, speculations and hopeful nonsense for all to see. :)
As have you, only your posting your baseless opinions as fact. Attacking anyone with a constructive theory and likely are spreading complete misinformation according to this gentleman from Australia
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2020, 11:12 PM   #120
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Serial numbers are very important to manufacturers. Without a doubt Rolex has watch records dating back to their infancy, record keeping has always been thorough with watch/jewelry companies. Not only do they know where each watch was shipped, they know the movement number that went in each watch, and can verify all of this if they really wanted. There’s a reason important watches are sent to Geneva to be authenticated and serviced at a cost of $10,000.

SN ranges for certain features, Batch numbers for specific models, production numbers, etc we’re all kept by Rolex. The only reason they wouldn’t have it is if it was destroyed in a fire, or haven’t uploaded their archives to an electronic database yet.
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote