The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 8 July 2018, 01:00 PM   #31
DARK_KNIGHT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCosmo View Post
Thanks for sharing. I was looking forward to seeing this watch when it arrives at my local AD, but based on your impressions, I'm a bit less enthusiastic about it now.
I dunno, Steve sounded more enthusiastic about the watch after he saw it, than before the trip to see it in the flesh.

Old 8 July 2018, 01:15 PM   #32
Lol-x
Facilitator

I already have the SLA017 which I love, so my thoughts on the SLA025 should be taken in that context.

I really like the 025 but in my situation I could not justify the purchase.

I do recommend anyone thinking of this watch to see it first in the flesh.

The 025 may well be very comfortable on the wrist, but at first blush it is very tall and would not easily fit under the average shirt cuff.

In mathamatical terms you've got a tall (16mm) and 45mm wide case on a 18.5mm strap. Do the math, is that to your liking....it's a matter of personal choice but for me if I add another $2,500 I can be in retail Pepsi territory.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2018, 02:07 PM   #33
TSD
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660/16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
I already have the SLA017 which I love, so my thoughts on the SLA025 should be taken in that context.

In mathamatical terms you've got a tall (16mm) and 45mm wide case on a 18.5mm strap. Do the math, is that to your liking....it's a matter of personal choice but for me if I add another $2,500 I can be in retail Pepsi territory.
Recently, I was able to try on the SLA025 at the Miami Boutique, and like you, was shocked at how disproportionate it appears in person. The 19mm lug width is ludicrous, given the height and weight of this case. It also really limits any strap alternatives, which at this price point makes for a very impractical tool watch, relative to the competition. I went with an SD43, for that reason, and am very glad I did.

I'm also an SBDX019 (62MAS reissue) owner, and really feel that is Seiko's best to date, in terms of capturing all the elements of their recreational dive watch DNA.
TSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2018, 03:20 AM   #34
Bobby T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I am a big Seiko fan but I do find it difficult to part with significant money for the Grand Seiko or others in the high end of the line. I have always wanted a Grand Seiko but the watch and my funds have never lined up. I own several Seiko Turtles and my favorite is the blue and red PADI on the bracelet. It checks all the boxes for around $300 and keeps very good time. I would get one of the divers in the $250-500 range and see if it works for you before sinking much more into it. Watch the pre-owned market to see the prices on the more expensive models.
So, what you're saying is, if funds weren't an issue, you'd definitely step up...that's true for most of us.
Bobby T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2018, 03:43 AM   #35
FireMonk3y
"TRF" Member

The lack of a bracelet was probably the make or break for me. With the $$ I had saved for this, I'm really close to SubC money and for a little more, maybe a SD4K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FireMonk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2018, 11:14 AM   #36
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I am a big Seiko fan but I do find it difficult to part with significant money for the Grand Seiko or others in the high end of the line. I have always wanted a Grand Seiko but the watch and my funds have never lined up. I own several Seiko Turtles and my favorite is the blue and red PADI on the bracelet. It checks all the boxes for around $300 and keeps very good time. I would get one of the divers in the $250-500 range and see if it works for you before sinking much more into it. Watch the pre-owned market to see the prices on the more expensive models.
X100. Holy Cr@p...I can't believe how good the new Turtles are! I just picked up a SRP789 (Coke) on a whim ($350 from reputable Amazon dealer). I owned a few original 6309's & 6306's years ago, but never really bonded w/ them (always a little too small for my fat wrist...but I SO wanted to love them because of the day/date feature).

Well this SRP789 arrived a few days ago and it has impressed me so much I'm absolutely going to sell my Marine Master 300M (SBDX017) as I just don't see the reason to have $2K wrapped up in that watch where the Turtle looks just as good (in a slightly different way) and the quality is practically as good. Hell, dare I say I actually think the bezel action on the SRP feels better than the SBDX! How is a $350 Seiko competing so well against its $2K big brother?!?! I would never have guessed until I handled them both. And unlike the original 6309...the reissue is slightly wider so actually looks good on my wrist.

And the time keeping? So far it's been almost perfect...only +1 sec each day (yeah it's only 2 days of wear...but still very impressive right out of the box). For anyone that hasn't given the new Turtles a look, don't be like me and wait so long to check them out...I guarantee you'll be impressed. Absolutely my favorite "beater" watch so far.
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2018, 01:57 PM   #37
Lol-x
Facilitator

Do you have a photo of your new SRP789 (Coke)??

Amazon no longer ship to Australia as of 1 July

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln

Old 11 July 2018, 05:15 AM   #38
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby33 View Post
X100. Holy Cr@p...I can't believe how good the new Turtles are! I just picked up a SRP789 (Coke) on a whim ($350 from reputable Amazon dealer). I owned a few original 6309's & 6306's years ago, but never really bonded w/ them (always a little too small for my fat wrist...but I SO wanted to love them because of the day/date feature).
Love my Turtle PADI, it's my daily watches, I even wore it to parties, shows, ... where friends were sporting their Rolex. It's such a well made comfortable beautiful iconic watch sold for almost thing (coming from Rolex world). It's still truly a tool watch that never went up the market like the Submariner. Because of it have no urge for a SSBLRO. Hope Seiko will re-issue the 6105.
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 02:40 PM   #39
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:

No, but I'll load one soon. I originally was going to go all black, but the red minute hand to complement the bezel sold me.

I ordered a Strapcode oyster (as I'm not a big fan of the OEM Seiko bracelet), but unfortunately one end link was slightly off and no matter how hard I tried, just couldn't get the pin to fit (multiple pins, different sizes, everything failed). So I'm waiting for it's replacement.

But in the meantime I order the OEM turtle rubber and currently sporting that. Once again, blown away at how good that strap is. Silky soft and significantly more comfortable than my MM300 OEM rubber (hence the reason my MM300 is wearing a Crafter Blue band now).

These Turtles are LEGIT!
Old 16 July 2018, 02:42 PM   #40
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman2005 View Post
Love my Turtle PADI, it's my daily watches, I even wore it to parties, shows, ... where friends were sporting their Rolex. It's such a well made comfortable beautiful iconic watch sold for almost thing (coming from Rolex world). It's still truly a tool watch that never went up the market like the Submariner. Because of it have no urge for a SSBLRO. Hope Seiko will re-issue the 6105.
I hear ya on all points. I'm currently wearing my '76 6105 and as of the last 6 months, it's been one of my favorites. If they made a 6105 reissue, it might be very hard for me to say NO!
Old 18 July 2018, 01:57 PM   #41
psv
"TRF" Member

I'm a big fan of this release but $5,400 is just too much for a Seiko on a rubber strap. If the MSRP was $3,000-$3,500 I would pull the trigger.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 03:32 PM   #42
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
I'm a big fan of this release but $5,400 is just too much for a Seiko on a rubber strap. If the MSRP was $3,000-$3,500 I would pull the trigger.
I tend to agree.

But damn...the back of that mono-bloc case...I can’t remember the last time I liked the looks of the back as much as the front. And I’m not necessarily a fan of sapphire backs to view movements. I just absolutely LOVE that solid flat back with no cover on this SLA025. I wish they wouldn’t have made it a “LE” and therefore offered it for somewhere along the lines you stated. Oh well...
Old 21 July 2018, 07:07 PM   #43
mtb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky/Sea/Land
No more in doubts. :)

mtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 07:52 PM   #44
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Congratulations
Old 21 July 2018, 08:28 PM   #45
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations. Great looking.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 08:32 AM   #46
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb View Post

Nice. Please post more pics of it...I'm still in love.
Old 22 July 2018, 08:36 AM   #47
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:

As promised...(still can't believe this watch is $350...best bang-for-buck watch I currently own).

Timekeeping is still almost dead on (now running +2 secs daily). Here it is on OEM rubber...still waiting on my Strapcode oyster replacement bracelet.

Old 22 July 2018, 09:22 AM   #48
Daso
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 16520
Hi All, as the op of this thread, I'd love to add a sla025 to the quiver but I just couldn't justify the price for a beach beater. I decided to pick up a Ninja Turtle and thinknuts pretty cool. Now my Daytona during week, Sub on weekends and throw on the Ninja for park and beach.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180721_122720-756x1008.jpg (189.9 KB, 232 views)
Daso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 10:51 AM   #49
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daso View Post
Hi All, as the op of this thread, I'd love to add a sla025 to the quiver but I just couldn't justify the price for a beach beater. I decided to pick up a Ninja Turtle and thinknuts pretty cool. Now my Daytona during week, Sub on weekends and throw on the Ninja for park and beach.
Personally, I don't think your pic does justice to how cool the Ninja is. The whole reason I decided to get a SRP789 was a buddy picked up the Ninja and I was blown away at the quality (and really cool gray aspect of the black bezel that I never noticed in pics).

But man, those Ninja's have blown up in price and now I see most are selling used for over MSRP (I considered it before getting my Coke, but then decided I wanted to keep w/ my budget (for once ) and pick up a 'beater' for under $400).

But even the appreciating Ninja prices are probably justified as I think all these Turtle re-issues are undervalued. Nice work on that Ninja...it's a really cool watch.
Old 22 July 2018, 04:43 PM   #50
Daso
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 16520
Quote:
Personally, I don't think your pic does justice to how cool the Ninja is. The whole reason I decided to get a SRP789 was a buddy picked up the Ninja and I was blown away at the quality (and really cool gray aspect of the black bezel that I never noticed in pics).

But man, those Ninja's have blown up in price and now I see most are selling used for over MSRP (I considered it before getting my Coke, but then decided I wanted to keep w/ my budget (for once ) and pick up a 'beater' for under $400).

But even the appreciating Ninja prices are probably justified as I think all these Turtle re-issues are undervalued. Nice work on that Ninja...it's a really cool watch.
A slightly better wrist shot. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SmartSelect_20180722-023829_Instagram-296x340.jpg (33.5 KB, 231 views)
Daso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 10:18 PM   #51
SSCosmo
"TRF" Member

I finally received the call from my Seiko AD today that they received a shipment of SLA025s and had one reserved for me. I went to take a look and try it on, thinking that I probably wouldn’t buy it given the 19mm strap width, and comments about how large and tall the watch is, and how underwhelming it was to see in person. I wasn’t going to drop this much on a Prospex, unless it really, really impressed me.

Well, what can I say, it really, really impressed me. The watch looks so much better in the metal than in photos. I think it also exudes quality. I have a few GS watches as well as a couple of Prospex watches, including the Ninja Turtle, and I would say the look and feel of this watch, even at first glance, is on par with my GS watches, and way above the Prospex watches (as it should, given the price difference). Plus, the smooth sweep of the second hand from the Hi-Beat movement is similar to the sweep of spring drive watches.

The size and height of the case did not seem too much to me either, but that’s probably because I’m used to wearing 42mm and 44mm watches. Overall, this will be a casual, weekend/vacation watch for me, so I don’t need it to fit under a shirt cuff.

I do wish the strap was wider - 20mm would have been perfect - but the material of the strap feels very nice, and based on wearing it for a few hours so far, it feels comfortable on the wrist. The watch did not feel any more top heavy than any of my other watches thicker than 12mm.

So, for those of you who might be on the fence about this watch, I would highly recommend taking a look at it in person and not judging it just by the specs or photos you see online. It made all the difference for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
SSCosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 10:21 PM   #52
Lol-x
Facilitator

Quote:

Congrats!!! Looks amazing!!

Quote:
As promised...(still can't believe this watch is $350...best bang-for-buck watch I currently own).

Timekeeping is still almost dead on (now running +2 secs daily). Here it is on OEM rubber...still waiting on my Strapcode oyster replacement bracelet.

Thanks for the photos, it looks super nice!!!
Great value watch for sure!

Quote:
I really like this model too!!!

Old 23 July 2018, 03:50 AM   #53
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's more like it...yep, stunning watch.
Old 23 July 2018, 03:54 AM   #54
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I finally received the call from my Seiko AD today that they received a shipment of SLA025s and had one reserved for me. I went to take a look and try it on, thinking that I probably wouldn’t buy it given the 19mm strap width, and comments about how large and tall the watch is, and how underwhelming it was to see in person. I wasn’t going to drop this much on a Prospex, unless it really, really impressed me.

Well, what can I say, it really, really impressed me. The watch looks so much better in the metal than in photos. I think it also exudes quality. I have a few GS watches as well as a couple of Prospex watches, including the Ninja Turtle, and I would say the look and feel of this watch, even at first glance, is on par with my GS watches, and way above the Prospex watches (as it should, given the price difference). Plus, the smooth sweep of the second hand from the Hi-Beat movement is similar to the sweep of spring drive watches.

The size and height of the case did not seem too much to me either, but that’s probably because I’m used to wearing 42mm and 44mm watches. Overall, this will be a casual, weekend/vacation watch for me, so I don’t need it to fit under a shirt cuff.

I do wish the strap was wider - 20mm would have been perfect - but the material of the strap feels very nice, and based on wearing it for a few hours so far, it feels comfortable on the wrist. The watch did not feel any more top heavy than any of my other watches thicker than 12mm.

So, for those of you who might be on the fence about this watch, I would highly recommend taking a look at it in person and not judging it just by the specs or photos you see online. It made all the difference for me.

Stop...no more pics of the SLA025. It's so good...will push me over the edge. You sound just like me, and I'm concerned if I see one in person I'll want to jump too. I guess I'm in the minority, I actually like the idea of the 19mm strap. Maybe it's because I'm so use to my 6105 w/ it's wide case, yet 19mm lugs, it just screams "Vintage" to me. And why I love the SLA025 is it's literally a modern "vintage" watch...which I think is so cool.

This thing is superb...I just wish more of you SLA025 owners would submit some glorious back shots of the case!
Old 23 July 2018, 09:21 AM   #55
SSCosmo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Stop...no more pics of the SLA025. It's so good...will push me over the edge.

This thing is superb...I just wish more of you SLA025 owners would submit some glorious back shots of the case!

You’re sounding a bit schizophrenic: I think you need to buy the watch immediately for the sake of your mental health :)

Let me help:

SSCosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 12:05 PM   #56
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You’re sounding a bit schizophrenic: I think you need to buy the watch immediately for the sake of your mental health :)

Let me help:

OMG...that backside is so amazing (that came out wrong ). If I owned that watch I might have to wear it upside down every other day!
Old 23 July 2018, 01:40 PM   #57
mtb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky/Sea/Land
:)

Both sides are magnificent

mtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2018, 09:24 AM   #58
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:

NICE! Totally agree.
Old 25 July 2018, 10:21 AM   #59
Gharddog03
"TRF" Member

Watch: R O L E X
Quote:

Wow
Gharddog03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2018, 11:12 AM   #60
Jackbrommel
Banned

I think it is a matter of you liking it enough to want to purchase it. If you are not sure i suggest you hold on a little till your mind is made up.
Jackbrommel is offline   Reply With Quote