The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 7 January 2011, 01:14 AM   #1
dnystrom

Watch: 1500
Tiffany Dial

I was at a jewelers store the other day and he showed me a Tiffany Dial that I think may be a 1500. I have done some reading and understand that Tiffany had Rolex put the name on the dials up to about the 80's or so. I guess that Rolex told them that they would no longer be doing that and that was that. So. they do not sell Rolex in the stores anymore.
My question is this:
Are they in demand collector wise?
What prices are they getting?

I have had Rolexes for the past 35 years and since joining this forum have learned more about them in the past 2 weeks since my first purchase back in 1980. This is a great forum thats addictive.

Dave
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2011, 01:19 AM   #2
MonBK
Banned

No big deal, only fetch a few bucks more.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2011, 02:02 AM   #3
mike
"TRF" Member

Back in the day there were several co-branded references that ran quite a long time. Tiffany is the one most think about, but another was SERPICO Y LAINO.

I want to say it was the mid to late 80s when Rolex informed Tiffany they would no longer co-brand, but I'm not sure.

Indeed depending on the reference the co-brand can add to the value of the watch however with Tiffany paper work is critical.

Unlike other co-brands that put their mark somewhere on the watch, Tiffany appears only on the dial and paperwork. As these are some of the most faked pieces in the world of vintage (adding the name) many collectors will view valuation as standard for the reference (or even a bit less if a dial has to be sourced).

Adding to the quandry seems to be no consistency in the font used from reference to reference. (Though of course those that seek these pieces are astute indeed in what's what).

The myth is that Tiffany and Rolex had a disagreement when it seems Rolex simply informed Tiffany they would no longer cobrand.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2011, 02:11 AM   #4
dnystrom

Great information! This one I seen has nothing for paperwork. So, I guess I'll just stay away from it. Thanks for the great info on the history!

Dave
Old 7 January 2011, 03:14 AM   #5
Jan Davis
Fake Identity Cyber-Criminal

Watch: DateJust
Tiffany Rolex watch's seen early 1990's.
Jan Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2011, 09:04 AM   #6
watchteacher

Watch: Tiffany blue Sub
I'll comment again. I was the service manager for Tiffany timepieces during the time that they discontinued their relationship with Rolex. Although Tiffany did (and does) have a dial stamping machine, the vast majority of Tiffany dialed Rolexes came to Tiffany preprinted at Rolex in Switzerland, installed in watches. Tiffany also stocked replacement Tiffany cobranded dials for their own repair purposes, sold the same as any other spare parts. (If your Tiffany Rolex needed service, you could send it to either Rolex or Tiffany. Obviously, if it was a warranty repair, you'd send it to Tiffany.)

During the early mid nineties, Rolex told Tiffany that they no longer would supply cobranded watches, nor honor warranties if the dials were stamped at Tiffany. Tiffany said 'We'll no longer sell Rolex', see you later.

Relations were never strained; Tiffany was only selling several million dollars a year of Rolexes, not much for what Tiffany sales were at the time.

True story; I was on the Business Advisory Council for the Jos Bulova Watchmaking School, another member was the SVP of Rolex repair. We had a meeting at Rolex in their NY boardroom, and the Rolex SVP commented 'What's a Tiffany guy doing wearing a Rolex?' (I had on my bubbleback). It was a long walk up Fifth Avenue with my boss, who gave me a hard time. He said 'why aren't you wearing a Tiffany watch?' and I replied 'I can't afford one!'

He then said, 'put one together out of spare parts, but don't make one nicer than mine.' Which I did, and I still have it, a Tiffany Intaglio!
watchteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2011, 09:07 AM   #7
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchteacher View Post
I'll comment again. I was the service manager for Tiffany timepieces during the time that they discontinued their relationship with Rolex. Although Tiffany did (and does) have a dial stamping machine, the vast majority of Tiffany dialed Rolexes came to Tiffany preprinted at Rolex in Switzerland, installed in watches. Tiffany also stocked replacement Tiffany cobranded dials for their own repair purposes, sold the same as any other spare parts. (If your Tiffany Rolex needed service, you could send it to either Rolex or Tiffany. Obviously, if it was a warranty repair, you'd send it to Tiffany.)

During the early mid nineties, Rolex told Tiffany that they no longer would supply cobranded watches, nor honor warranties if the dials were stamped at Tiffany. Tiffany said 'We'll no longer sell Rolex', see you later.

Relations were never strained; Tiffany was only selling several million dollars a year of Rolexes, not much for what Tiffany sales were at the time.

True story; I was on the Business Advisory Council for the Jos Bulova Watchmaking School, another member was the SVP of Rolex repair. We had a meeting at Rolex in their NY boardroom, and the Rolex SVP commented 'What's a Tiffany guy doing wearing a Rolex?' (I had on my bubbleback). It was a long walk up Fifth Avenue with my boss, who gave me a hard time. He said 'why aren't you wearing a Tiffany watch?' and I replied 'I can't afford one!'

He then said, 'put one together out of spare parts, but don't make one nicer than mine.' Which I did, and I still have it, a Tiffany Intaglio!

Wonderful story.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2011, 09:09 AM   #8
watchteacher

And let me add-the situation with Patek is different. Tiffany dialed Pateks are stamped at Henry Stern, the US Patek owned agency, in Rockefellar Center. This was the reason for the somewhat recent decision to not cobrand certain complicated models; Patek Geneva doesn't want some of these watches opened and stamped in the US, when they insist those models get sent to Geneva for servicing and not NY.
Old 7 January 2011, 09:20 AM   #9
Jan Davis
Fake Identity Cyber-Criminal

Watch: DateJust
The dials from the 1950's, 1960's were hand painted.
Jan Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2011, 09:37 AM   #10
watchteacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Davis View Post
The dials from the 1950's, 1960's were hand painted.
I can't say I've seen one that appeared hand painted (I'm assuming you're referencing the cobrand) and I've seen dozens of Tiffany dialed Rolexes of that era.
Old 7 January 2011, 11:07 AM   #11
dnystrom

Great Story! Wow!
Old 7 January 2011, 11:31 AM   #12
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
There is a Tiffany DRSD I know of for sale as I am sure some of you know where it is too. It has RSC papers--and carries a HEFTY premium as do the PN's--and we are not talking a few thousand either--try 10's of thousands!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2011, 11:37 AM   #13
watchteacher

I'm happy to have my two tone Blue Tiffany Sub (with a spare dial, he he) but I did have a Daytona on order at the time the relationship with Rolex went away. (They were giving them to full retail clients as they came in, rather than to employees with a discount). Remember, at that time most AD's were charging 25% or more over list-and while Tiffany didn't discount, they also didn't jack up the price over list.
Old 8 January 2011, 01:14 AM   #14
dnystrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan1965 View Post
There is a Tiffany DRSD I know of for sale as I am sure some of you know where it is too. It has RSC papers--and carries a HEFTY premium as do the PN's--and we are not talking a few thousand either--try 10's of thousands!
Well as you know there is a "asking" and a sale/sold price. Personally I have only seen one as mentioned in my post. So it goes....This is a very addictive hobby with all the "stuff" thats out there.

Dave
Old 8 January 2011, 09:19 AM   #15
watchteacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnystrom View Post
Well as you know there is a "asking" and a sale/sold price. Personally I have only seen one as mentioned in my post. So it goes....This is a very addictive hobby with all the "stuff" thats out there.

Dave
If you care to spend some time, check out auction house Antiquorum and do searches for similar Rolex and Tiffany dialed Rolex sales-you'll see Tiffany dialed models sell for more, and sometimes a lot more.
Old 8 January 2011, 11:09 AM   #16
HL65

Quote:

Dave
I understand that and I also know this particular seller and he is one of the top around and well respected by all in the vintage world. A Tiffany PN is about as rare as it gets and one has pretty much no chance of ever seeing one let alone buying one. The Tiffany DRSD is also quite rare and this seller will get his price soon as he usually does--some of you already have figured it out I am sure!! The price difference on it is $20k higher than a standard one.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 8 January 2011, 12:19 PM   #17
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

Would any of you pay a premium for this watch?

CaveDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2011, 12:23 PM   #18
HL65

Hands???? I wouldn't.......

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 8 January 2011, 12:33 PM   #19
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

I don't like more than just the hands.. but what do i know
Old 8 January 2011, 12:38 PM   #20
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveDiver View Post
I don't like more than just the hands.. but what do i know
I agree with you---I was being kind in case it was your watch!
I am also not a Tiffany Dial guy--I would rather put my money into a great gilt dial or a Daytona.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 8 January 2011, 12:41 PM   #21
kyle L
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer I
Nope, but this one...

kyle L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2011, 12:44 PM   #22
HL65

Kyle--and you found the one I was referring to!! Well done Grasshopper!!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 8 January 2011, 12:48 PM   #23
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I agree with you---I was being kind in case it was your watch!
I am also not a Tiffany Dial guy--I would rather put my money into a great gilt dial or a Daytona.
That would be very kind of you. Not my watch. This one is from big auction site. Not ebay either.

On a side note, I was just reading Stefano Mazzario blog and he has some of the best macro photography of Rolex I have seen on the net. His shots of the PN 's are just outstanding.
Old 8 January 2011, 12:50 PM   #24
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Kyle--and you found the one I was referring to!! Well done Grasshopper!!
What a night and day difference.
Old 8 January 2011, 12:54 PM   #25
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveDiver View Post
That would be very kind of you. Not my watch. This one is from big auction site. Not ebay either.

On a side note, I was just reading Stefano Mazzario blog and he has some of the best macro photography of Rolex I have seen on the net. His shots of the PN 's are just outstanding.
He sure does---I have his book right here on my desk!!!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 8 January 2011, 11:45 PM   #26
dnystrom

Regardless if you like the Tiffs or not. it's still a heck of a conversation piece. And, If I would be able to take photos like that Id be a very happy guy!
Old 8 January 2011, 11:51 PM   #27
HL65

Quote:
Regardless if you like the Tiffs or not. it's still a heck of a conversation piece. And, If I would be able to take photos like that Id be a very happy guy!
Agree!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 9 January 2011, 01:39 AM   #28
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Absolutely.

There are collectors who build collections around double names.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote