The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 March 2015, 07:10 AM   #1
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Question about modifications

I have some questions about modifying a Rolex with OEM parts, NOT aftermarket making it a Frankenstein. An AD told me in order to get OEM parts like a bracelet, dial, bezel, etc., that the old ones have to be sent in. Rolex will keep the part(s) and send the replacement for the same model/version. Is this accurate? If so, why are there modified Rolexes out there with OEM parts AND the spares? For example, on 3 occasions, I have seen a SS sub with blue dial and bezel to "look like" a Smurf. Each watch came with the original black dial and bezel and it was noted that they would have to be returned to Rolex for them to service the watch. Just curious about the accuracy of the information I received. Thanks!!!
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2015, 07:12 AM   #2
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
In the cases you're talking about, the owner most likely sourced those parts on his own and had an independent watchmaker do the work.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2015, 07:20 AM   #3
GolfPunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Daytona
I modded a SS Daytona with a Panda dial and kept the original white dial. Just look in the for sale section here for the parts then source a good independent watchmaker.
GolfPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2015, 07:54 AM   #4
Jocke
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
If you use "wrong original Rolex parts" for your model it will be a Franken Rolex, if you use aftermarket parts it will be a fake.
To get original Rolex parts without trade in you need to have contacts. I love Franken Rolex's and many with me, some guys
hate those watches. I do what I like with my watches and I hope everyone else will do the same so long they don't sell them
as original and ripoff people.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2015, 08:01 AM   #5
mattmcmhn
2024 Pledge Member

^what he said. A Rolex with replacement non-standard parts, even if they're OEM, is still a franken and if the watch is sold like that should be disclosed. I've actually never even heard of the situation OP is referring to where Rolex will provide non-standard parts if the originals are returned. You can source OEM parts on here, eBay, or locally if you have contacts, but from what I understand Rolex generally won't touch the watch for service until it's put back to its original configuration.
mattmcmhn is offline   Reply With Quote