The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 March 2016, 10:47 AM   #1
beancooker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster 16623
Question about magnetization...

So my wife and I picked up a couple Yachtmasters a few days ago. I'm not certain if hers came magnetized, or if it comes from her electric floor mat. (The floor mat is made by Shield Life, Korean brand that is supposed to shield you from EMF).
So anyways, her watch runs about 8-9 seconds fast per day.
I took out a really nice compass, and her watch will move the needle, not a lot, but enough to definitely notice. My watch doesn't move it at all, and keeps time exactly to the second each day.
I ordered a $12 Degausser from Amazon, to try it out. That arrives on Thursday.

Anyways, after searching and reading the threads, I get a mixed review. Some say magnetization causes the watch to not work at all, and others say it causes the watch to run fast.

Any opinions, or preferably facts?
beancooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2016, 10:51 AM   #2
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beancooker View Post

Anyways, after searching and reading the threads, I get a mixed review. Some say magnetization causes the watch to not work at all, and others say it causes the watch to run fast.

Any opinions, or preferably facts?
In any case, it can cause the watch to not run as designed. Usually I hear fast, but if you don't get a definitive answer here post the question in the tech forum and one of the watchmakers will come along shortly to tell you exactly.
Old 16 March 2016, 11:04 AM   #3
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
The word I've heard used most often is that a magnetized watch will run "erratically". It'll gain 10 seconds one day and lose 5 seconds the next day. I'm sure that someone with greater knowledge than me will chime in.
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2016, 11:06 AM   #4
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I wonder if an electric blanket will magnetize a Rolex? Because we use one.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2016, 11:56 AM   #5
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
iPads are bad, alllll those magnets.
Old 16 March 2016, 12:05 PM   #6
DJExplorer
"TRF" Member

I thought the hair springs were pretty resistant to magnetic fields.
Especially the parachrom bleu
DJExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2016, 01:01 PM   #7
beancooker
"TRF" Member

From what I have read, the mainspring is resistant, but the hairspring isn't?

There is a fair amount of confusing/conflicting information out there.

Guess I'll know on Thursday when the Degausser arrives.
Old 16 March 2016, 01:01 PM   #8
Cabernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Please post your results
Cabernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2016, 01:06 PM   #9
Boothroyd

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
Noah, might you have a different avatar at your disposal?
Old 16 March 2016, 03:12 PM   #10
Skyrider01
2024 Pledge Member

I have a watch that was running within 5 seconds per day, and one day, it started gaining 20 seconds per day. Did the old compass test, and sure enough, the needle moved, although only a few degrees. I don't remember it coming in contact with anything magnetic, but I bought a $10 demagnetizer, ran the watch over it a few times, and it was back to within +3 to +5 seconds per day.
Skyrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2016, 06:54 AM   #11
beancooker
"TRF" Member

So, when I posted this thread, I was skeptical to say the least. I knew her watch was magnetized because it did move a compass needle, not much, but enough.
Plus hearing what most people say about how erratic their watches run when magnetized, it seems odd that hers is running exactly 6 seconds per day too fast.
I also didn't have faith in a $12 Degausser from Amazon. Like seriously, $12 to fix my issue? Pipe dreams...

To my amazement and absolute happiness, it worked. I Degaussed it about 23 hours ago. Every day for a week I have hacked it for six seconds. Today, it was dead nuts accurate.
Hopefully this helps someone in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothroyd View Post
Noah, might you have a different avatar at your disposal?
My apologies. While it is a semi-disturbing avatar, it has been my avatar on every forum I have been on for the last 12 years. (Mostly car forums)
I've used it for so long, it's a part of me at this point.
Old 19 March 2016, 06:56 AM   #12
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Quote:
So, when I posted this thread, I was skeptical to say the least. I knew her watch was magnetized because it did move a compass needle, not much, but enough.

Plus hearing what most people say about how erratic their watches run when magnetized, it seems odd that hers is running exactly 6 seconds per day too fast.

I also didn't have faith in a $12 Degausser from Amazon. Like seriously, $12 to fix my issue? Pipe dreams...

To my amazement and absolute happiness, it worked. I Degaussed it about 23 hours ago. Every day for a week I have hacked it for six seconds. Today, it was dead nuts accurate.

My apologies. While it is a semi-disturbing avatar, it has been my avatar on every forum I have been on for the last 12 years. (Mostly car forums)

Good to know. Thanks for the update.
Tudor Ranger 79910
Nomos Club Datum 733
Nomos Metro 38
Stowa Flieger Classic 40

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2016, 08:45 AM   #13
Cabernet
"TRF" Member

Which type of demag did you use? Can you post a picture or amazon link?
Old 19 March 2016, 08:52 AM   #14
flyingtiger85
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date
I think the smoking baby is funny :)
flyingtiger85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2016, 04:00 PM   #15
beancooker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabernet View Post
Which type of demag did you use? Can you post a picture or amazon link?
This is the one I used. Her watch didn't move the needle after I did it a few times. One time may have worked, but I think I did four tries.
Place on Degausser, press and hold button and lift watch off slowly. I held it at a different angle each time I did it to make sure I covered each side of the watch.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...ilpage_o01_s00
Old 19 March 2016, 04:07 PM   #16
Laszlo

Watch: Date & No Date
I'm not an expert is this area but I have had no issues when using devices such as an iPad or any other mobile device. Neither has my wife. In my profession we are always using pretty much any device imaginable and I've had zero issue with magnetization.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2016, 05:03 PM   #17
GFONG
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange / Rolex
I think the RSC can help on this without any charges.
GFONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2016, 08:49 PM   #18
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

Watches from the 1970s and many modern day Rolex used to have hairsprings made by Nivarox and were very anti-magnetic and were a part of the ETA group of companies and they have to pass the Swiss standard test for anti-magnetic watches .This is to withstand a strong magnetic field of 4800 Amps per meter,and to keeps on running with a maximum deviation of 15- 30 seconds per day.Now this test I am 100% sure that 90%-95% of all watch wearers would never subject or come into contact with such a strong magnetic field.And in general a watch that becomes magnetised they normally will speed up and run very very erratic it could be minutes or hours or completely stop.But in any watch its not only the hairspring that could get magnetised but its the hairspring that will cause the most problems,now if magnetised its quite a very simple process to de-magnetise most high street watchmakers could do it its not expensive.Now that Rolex uses a alloy that they call Parachrom which is a made up name, its extremely doubtful your watch was magnetised especially returning a consistent 6 seconds fast.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2016, 12:25 AM   #19
Cabernet
"TRF" Member

Bean - lastly, did you remove the bracelet when you did this?
Thanks

Quote:
This is the one I used. Her watch didn't move the needle after I did it a few times. One time may have worked, but I think I did four tries.
Place on Degausser, press and hold button and lift watch off slowly. I held it at a different angle each time I did it to make sure I covered each side of the watch.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...ilpage_o01_s00
Old 20 March 2016, 02:22 AM   #20
beancooker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Bean - lastly, did you remove the bracelet when you did this?
Thanks
No sir. I just tipped the watch to the side and held the side of the case to the Degausser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Watches from the 1970s and many modern day Rolex used to have hairsprings made by Nivarox and were very anti-magnetic and were a part of the ETA group of companies and they have to pass the Swiss standard test for anti-magnetic watches .This is to withstand a strong magnetic field of 4800 Amps per meter,and to keeps on running with a maximum deviation of 15- 30 seconds per day.Now this test I am 100% sure that 90%-95% of all watch wearers would never subject or come into contact with such a strong magnetic field.And in general a watch that becomes magnetised they normally will speed up and run very very erratic it could be minutes or hours or completely stop.But in any watch its not only the hairspring that could get magnetised but its the hairspring that will cause the most problems,now if magnetised its quite a very simple process to de-magnetise most high street watchmakers could do it its not expensive.Now that Rolex uses a alloy that they call Parachrom which is a made up name, its extremely doubtful your watch was magnetised especially returning a consistent 6 seconds fast.
Padi, while I would agree with you because if everything I have read, there are a couple of things that happened that make me think differently.

The watch did make the compass needle move, not a lot, but it moved. I tested this multiple times in multiple locations in my house.

After using the Degausser, the watch no longer moved the compass needle, at all, no matter where in the house I tried it.

After degaussing, it holds time within a second/24 hours.

I wish I had shot video of me doing this. As they say, seeing is believing. What I am seeing, and the results I witnessed, make me believe that something was magnetized inhe watch.
Old 20 March 2016, 04:26 AM   #21
JoelUlrich
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller
My 16600 was prone to getting magnetized (which I would confirm with a compass), and would start running at least several seconds faster per day. Demagnetizing it would return it to normal. Sounds like you solved it.
JoelUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2016, 06:23 AM   #22
Maiden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
Good to know. Thanks for the update.
Used the same cheap demagnitzer from Amazon, worked on the first try. Best 10 bucks I ever spent.
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2016, 07:51 AM   #23
Cabernet
"TRF" Member

My sub was +15 sec/day and would easily bump the compass. I bought that same demag unit but was hesitant to use it since it had no instructions. I was going to take it off the bracelet, but I used Bean's technique.

It no longer affects a compass and is down to +6 sec. I watch it with the Hairspring iPad app which confirms it beating at that frequency. All good! ;-)
Old 21 March 2016, 07:57 AM   #24
beancooker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My sub was +15 sec/day and would easily bump the compass. I bought that same demag unit but was hesitant to use it since it had no instructions. I was going to take it off the bracelet, but I used Bean's technique.

It no longer affects a compass and is down to +6 sec. I watch it with the Hairspring iPad app which confirms it beating at that frequency. All good! ;-)

Really happy it worked out for you. What is the iPad app you speak of?
Old 21 March 2016, 08:02 AM   #25
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
. . .

The watch did make the compass needle move, not a lot, but it moved. I tested this multiple times in multiple locations in my house.

After using the Degausser, the watch no longer moved the compass needle, at all, no matter where in the house I tried it.

After degaussing, it holds time within a second/24 hours.
There are a lot of things in your watch that can become magnetized and will affect it's timing.

In the "old" days magnetized usually meant the hairspring and that would cause the watch to run very, very fast. New hairsprings are pretty much non-magnetic and so a bit more difficult to diagnose.

If the small compass needle moved, it was definitely magnetized someplace. Good results.
Old 21 March 2016, 08:05 AM   #26
Cabernet
"TRF" Member

It's called Hairspring. I forget if it was free or cost a couple bucks.
It listens to your watch with the mic and calculates it's accurancy based on timing. Incredible! Must be in a dead quiet place or use a seperate mic.

I googled a photo, attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (39.8 KB, 93 views)
Old 21 March 2016, 08:07 AM   #27
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Magnets bad.
Old 21 March 2016, 08:29 AM   #28
CashGap
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabernet View Post
it's called hairspring. I forget if it was free or cost a couple bucks.
It listens to your watch with the mic and calculates it's accurancy based on timing. Incredible! Must be in a dead quiet place or use a seperate mic.

I googled a photo, attached.
THANK YOU! That falls into the "GAGGGH Why Didn't I Think Of That!" category. Two minutes to setup, and it verified that my five year old daily wear GMT IIC is running 8/10ths of a second slow per day.
CashGap is offline   Reply With Quote