The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 September 2011, 12:48 AM   #1
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Quick change date not so quick on my GMT

All -

My new GMT seems to have a "slow change" date issue, i.e. the date is not changing until around 2 AM. It starts to change at 12 AM, but kind of hangs until after 2 AM, I'm able to duplicate this by advancing the time manually as well, though it doesn't always do it.

Has anyone else seen or heard this issue before? May be time for a quick trip down to DSC, I guess...
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2011, 12:54 AM   #2
Megalobyte
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...me go broke
Before sending it, personally I'd try running through the date wheel 3-4 times in position 2, ie date change crown position, it might work itself out. Might not, but worth a try.

Also, at 10 after midnight, when it is trying to change but a little stuck, tap or shake the watch, not too hard of course, you might find it'll unstick it.

But I'd try rotating the date through 2-3 months worth and see if it smooths it out any.
Megalobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2011, 01:08 AM   #3
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
As long as it changes before you wake up it will be Ok.

It's no unheard of, and it has been an issue reported here from time to time.

I think it has something to do with a lack of lubrication in the area of the movement that moves the date wheel.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2011, 01:11 AM   #4
MortgageGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
As long as it changes before you wake up it will be Ok.

I think it has something to do with a lack of lubrication in the area of the movement that moves the date wheel.
Had this issue... If I remember correctly it was too much lubrication, It went back to RSC twice and they could not fix the issue As we all know it is not that big of a deal but it was to me. Rolex is supposed to flick over immediately and this taking 2-3 hours really bothered me. My AD actually bought the watch back
Old 2 September 2011, 01:32 AM   #5
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortgageGuy View Post
Had this issue... If I remember correctly it was too much lubrication, It went back to RSC twice and they could not fix the issue As we all know it is not that big of a deal but it was to me. Rolex is supposed to flick over immediately and this taking 2-3 hours really bothered me. My AD actually bought the watch back
Adam thanks for letting us know. Especially since I must have gotten it backwards. I'm suprised they couldn't resolve it, but I am glad to hear they at least replaced your watch for you.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 2 September 2011, 02:21 AM   #6
improviz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalobyte View Post
Before sending it, personally I'd try running through the date wheel 3-4 times in position 2, ie date change crown position, it might work itself out. Might not, but worth a try.

Also, at 10 after midnight, when it is trying to change but a little stuck, tap or shake the watch, not too hard of course, you might find it'll unstick it.

But I'd try rotating the date through 2-3 months worth and see if it smooths it out any.
A variation of this seems to have done the trick: first, I cycled through the date wheel, no dice, keept doing it...but I noticed that it was more prevalent on certain dates, so when it happened I'd immediately rotate it CCW to cycle the date back to the previous date then rotate it CW again to advance the date, and repeat this ad nauseum until it finally gave a nice "click" and advanced at midnight, then moved on to the next date and proceeded until it happened on another date, then repeat the process described above.

*That* seems to have done it; I went through several months and it didn't stick any more. And as a side benefit, I now have the added benefit of foreknowledge, which has allowed me to plan my stock trades such that I will profit handsomely.

I also found that stopping the movement stops time, so by the time you're reading this I shall have wreaked all sorts of havoc...ack, I dropped my glasses! No! NOOOO!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg time_enough.jpg (23.5 KB, 499 views)
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
Old 2 September 2011, 02:39 AM   #7
Jinder
Banned

Watch: 116713
[QUOTE=improviz;2710650]A variation of this seems to have done the trick: first, I cycled through the date wheel, no dice, keept doing it...but I noticed that it was more prevalent on certain dates, so when it happened I'd immediately rotate it CCW to cycle the date back to the previous date then rotate it CW again to advance the date, and repeat this ad nauseum until it finally gave a nice "click" and advanced at midnight, then moved on to the next date and proceeded until it happened on another date, then repeat the process described above.

That's very interesting!!! Glad it worked!
Jinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2011, 02:43 AM   #8
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by improviz View Post
A variation of this seems to have done the trick: first, I cycled through the date wheel, no dice, keept doing it...but I noticed that it was more prevalent on certain dates, so when it happened I'd immediately rotate it CCW to cycle the date back to the previous date then rotate it CW again to advance the date, and repeat this ad nauseum until it finally gave a nice "click" and advanced at midnight, then moved on to the next date and proceeded until it happened on another date, then repeat the process described above.

*That* seems to have done it; I went through several months and it didn't stick any more. And as a side benefit, I now have the added benefit of foreknowledge, which has allowed me to plan my stock trades such that I will profit handsomely.

I also found that stopping the movement stops time, so by the time you're reading this I shall have wreaked all sorts of havoc...ack, I dropped my glasses! No! NOOOO!!
Cool, glad to hear as it sounds like this fixed it for you.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 2 September 2011, 03:08 AM   #9
Megalobyte
"TRF" Member

Great TZ episode.

He finally had the time to read, so tragic. And no Lens Crafters at the mall for a new pair. :)

Next stop, Willoughby...
Old 2 September 2011, 05:14 AM   #10
improviz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Great TZ episode.

He finally had the time to read, so tragic. And no Lens Crafters at the mall for a new pair. :)

Next stop, Willoughby...
Yeah, I love TZ, just classic. They don't make 'em like that anymore, as they say...

Thanks for the suggestion, btw! Hopefully this will do the trick; I'll find out at midnight I guess!
Old 2 September 2011, 05:17 AM   #11
Megalobyte
"TRF" Member

Yup, old TZ is the best, well, along side original Star Trek. :)

You're welcome, I hope it works too. You might see that some nights it's 12:01, another it might be 12:04, etc. My Sub C is somewhere between 12:01 and 12:04. It varies slightly. I'd say long as it's within 10 min. you're ok.
Old 2 September 2011, 05:46 AM   #12
improviz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yup, old TZ is the best, well, along side original Star Trek. :)
Amen!

Quote:
You're welcome, I hope it works too. You might see that some nights it's 12:01, another it might be 12:04, etc. My Sub C is somewhere between 12:01 and 12:04. It varies slightly. I'd say long as it's within 10 min. you're ok.
Yup. Well hopefully this did the trick; if not I'll definitely chime back in so to speak. Thanks again!
Old 2 September 2011, 05:51 AM   #13
Megalobyte
"TRF" Member

I'll have my fingers crossed for you.
Old 30 September 2011, 02:14 PM   #14
rossi46
"TRF" Member

Watch: shopping
Quote:
My new GMT seems to have a "slow change" date issue, i.e. the date is not changing until around 2 AM. It starts to change at 12 AM, but kind of hangs until after 2 AM, I'm able to duplicate this by advancing the time manually as well, though it doesn't always do it.
Daaammit. Same here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg date 003.JPG (154.9 KB, 436 views)
Old 30 September 2011, 02:32 PM   #15
MY-WATCH
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
as long as it changes before you wake up it will be ok.

x2
MY-WATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2011, 02:39 PM   #16
improviz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi46 View Post
Daaammit. Same here.
This is what mine *was* doing, but it's never done it again since I performed the steps I outlined above; what you do is:

1. Pull crown out to second position (hour hand only moves, second hand doesn't stop)

2. advance hour hand (CW) until you get to a midnight where date hangs as it is doing in your pic (if yours is like mine was, it won't do this on every date, only some of them, so you've got to find them one by one and do steps 3 through 5);

3. slowly advance hour hand (CW) until date finally clicks to next date (on mine this was around 2 AM);

4. then, move hour hand backwards (CCW) past midnight until date clicks to previous date;

5. repeat 3. and 4. several times until date changes properly at midnight or just past with a nice click;

6. advance hour hand CW again until you get to another midnight, repeat steps 3-5, keep repeating until you've gone through all 31 dates, then go through them again to make sure it no longer hangs; if it does, try again.

Worked like a champ for me, no problems since. Try it and see if it works, good luck!!
Old 30 September 2011, 10:18 PM   #17
rossi46
"TRF" Member

I'll try it out, improviz!
Old 30 September 2011, 10:53 PM   #18
Landa220
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT GMT Master II
Quote:
Great TZ episode.

Next stop, Willoughby...
This was one of the most tragic TZ episodes. I felt so bad for him. "...its not fair" (or something like that).

By the way, I'm glad the date thing worked out. I didn't know you could turn the dates backward. I was going all the way around when setting the date. I trust this causes no harm.
Landa220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2011, 10:57 PM   #19
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landa220 View Post
This was one of the most tragic TZ episodes. I felt so bad for him. "...its not fair" (or something like that).

By the way, I'm glad the date thing worked out. I didn't know you could turn the dates backward. I was going all the way around when setting the date. I trust this causes no harm.
Forwards or backwards no harm no foul.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 13 October 2011, 02:58 PM   #20
improviz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi46 View Post
I'll try it out, improviz!
So did it work out for you?
Old 13 October 2011, 10:30 PM   #21
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
Quote:

+1 I'm curious too.
handsfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2011, 11:44 AM   #22
rossi46
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes! Thanks a ton, I owe you a
Old 14 October 2011, 01:40 PM   #23
improviz
"TRF" Member

Good to hear it, thanks for the update!