The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 2 March 2019, 03:55 AM   #1
mangoseed
Banned

The real reason for the SS shortage: No real competition in the SS market

5-10 years ago Breitling were at least somewhat respectable, but now they have the worst resale value I have ever seen and have completely turned their back on the history of the brand. The new ownership is a complete disaster.

Omega does nothing but spam out limited editions while their flagship Seamaster has been outdated since the turn of the millennium.

What else is there? IWC maybe, but it is a bit of a specific taste. Other than that there are just niche brands like Zenith, JLC etc.

Rolex is the only solid choice nowadays.
mangoseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2019, 04:02 AM   #2
uncufunc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126613LB, 1501
Agreed. There is no competition at that price point
uncufunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2019, 04:03 AM   #3
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

Don't leave out the AP Royal Oak and PP Nautilus. These watches revolutionized ideas of stainless steel sports watches back in their day. I think the AP RO in 41 mm remains a fantastic choice for daily wear.

If I were in the market for a stainless steel chronograph and I was thinking about a Daytona, I would have to cross shop the Royal Oak Chronograph.
Old 2 March 2019, 04:06 AM   #4
mangoseed
Banned

Why on Earth is this in the Breitling discussion forum?
Old 2 March 2019, 04:07 AM   #5
mangoseed
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by t65tampa View Post
Don't leave out the AP Royal Oak and PP Nautilus. These watches revolutionized ideas of stainless steel sports watches back in their day. I think the AP RO in 41 mm remains a fantastic choice for daily wear.

If I were in the market for a stainless steel chronograph and I was thinking about a Daytona, I would have to cross shop the Royal Oak Chronograph.
Although true, they are a fair bit more upmarket than Rolex or any of the other brands I mentioned.
Old 2 March 2019, 04:33 AM   #6
Anthonyw
"TRF" Member

Agreed that there is no competition. I tried looking for a GMT that is 40mm or smaller with a rotating bezel and decent WR and Rolex is the only company that makes one! SMH...the seamaster looks super dated (yay 90’s!) but omega has some pretty cool tech.

AP and PP doesn’t really compete with Rolex either. IMO the closest competitor is Blancpain, Omega if they keep making watches like the Spectre SM 300, and JLC if they make more sportwatches.
Anthonyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2019, 04:35 AM   #7
mangoseed
Banned

This would have been a jolly good discussion had it not (incorrectly) been moved to an irrelevant sub-forum where few will see it.
Old 2 March 2019, 04:44 AM   #8
Raku
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoseed View Post
5-10 years ago Breitling were at least somewhat respectable, but now they have the worst resale value I have ever seen and have completely turned their back on the history of the brand. The new ownership is a complete disaster.

Omega does nothing but spam out limited editions while their flagship Seamaster has been outdated since the turn of the millennium.

What else is there? IWC maybe, but it is a bit of a specific taste. Other than that there are just niche brands like Zenith, JLC etc.

This is so true in every aspect.
I believe the only brand that gets close to Rolex at the SS price point is Grand Seiko.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
Raku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2019, 07:02 AM   #9
captainron62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King 40mm
Really wish Breitling would do a brushed SuperOcean! I had an older one and the bracelet was professionally brushed and it looked great. I am likely buying a SuperOcean II tomorrow because as stated there just isn't much out there and I will likely have the bracelet brushed.
captainron62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2019, 08:51 AM   #10
Mad Hatter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
why on earth is this in the breitling discussion forum?
+1
Mad Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2019, 09:17 AM   #11
Paul_I
"TRF" Member

I don’t disagree but you missed some relevant counter points in my opinion. Omega has a full line beyond the base seamaster (PO, Speedy, Ploprof) and the base 300M has been recently updated. Breitling is just starting to release new models under new management. Beyond that there are plenty of smaller brands producing interesting SS divers. Sometimes people just want a Rolex, which is fine.

Paul_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2019, 09:18 AM   #12
Paul_I
"TRF" Member

Are you sure you didn’t post this in the Breitling section, it was only up for a few minutes before the switch if so, haha.

Paul_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2019, 02:47 AM   #13
mangoseed
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_I View Post
Are you sure you didn’t post this in the Breitling section, it was only up for a few minutes before the switch if so, haha.
I really don't think so, hmmm I think I will try again on the main forum.
Old 3 March 2019, 02:53 AM   #14
mbalmz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:

I think it's true seamasters don't engender the same kind of crazy excitement that submariners/GMTs do, but they are very, very much not "outdated".

EDIT: I also think it's weird to refer to brands like Zenith and JLC as "niche"--those are great brands with a ton of history and cache. The fact that you shrug those brands off as "niche" I think betrays the fact that you really just want a stainless steel watch from a brand that's as iconic and has as much history but at the same time is as high-end and universally recognizable a brand as Rolex, without paying an AP/PP pricepoint. Which just means you want a Rolex. Which is obviously a totally fine and wonderful thing to want (I want them too!) but this has very little to do with their not being competition.
mbalmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2019, 04:35 AM   #15
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

its even weirder posted here than in the rolex section.

Its like you are trolling Breitling owners about how its their brands fault you can get a rolex at an AD.

what are they supposed to do about it?

i assume you didn't intend to post it here... but its how it looks
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2019, 06:00 AM   #16
Anthonyw
"TRF" Member

The real reason for the SS shortage: No real competition in the SS market

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalmz View Post
I think it's true seamasters don't engender the same kind of crazy excitement that submariners/GMTs do, but they are very, very much not "outdated".

EDIT: I also think it's weird to refer to brands like Zenith and JLC as "niche"--those are great brands with a ton of history and cache. The fact that you shrug those brands off as "niche" I think betrays the fact that you really just want a stainless steel watch from a brand that's as iconic and has as much history but at the same time is as high-end and universally recognizable a brand as Rolex, without paying an AP/PP pricepoint. Which just means you want a Rolex. Which is obviously a totally fine and wonderful thing to want (I want them too!) but this has very little to do with their not being competition.

The new movements in Seamasters are not outdated but the look embodies the 90s for me probably due to pierce brosnan. He was such a horrible James Bond ugh.

I view Zenith and JLC as more niche because they aren’t as widely recognized or known. So only people who are WIS-ish will consider buying them, hence the niche market.

Edit: spelling
Anthonyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2019, 06:24 AM   #17
mbalmz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthonyw View Post

I view Zenith and JLC as more niche because they aren’t as widely recognized or known. So only people who are WIS-ish will consider buying them, hence the nine market.

I agree they’re more niche in that specific regard, but that was my point.

the fact that there isn’t another brand exactly like rolex with the same amount of wide recognition at a similar pricepoint doesn’t mean there’s “no competition”, it just means the competition is different in certain ways presumably OP’s taste prefers rolex over that competition.
___

instagram: @brooklynwatchguy
mbalmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2019, 07:16 AM   #18
TechBama
"TRF" Member

Maybe a bit of topic, but I do like Breitling SuperOcean Heritage II and Ulysee Nardin's divers. At the end of the day, it's all personal preference. There is no right or wrong choice.
TechBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2019, 07:17 AM   #19
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All

This topic is so important it warrants two threads simultaneously.
Old 4 March 2019, 12:25 AM   #20
mangoseed
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
its even weirder posted here than in the rolex section.

Its like you are trolling Breitling owners about how its their brands fault you can get a rolex at an AD.

what are they supposed to do about it?

i assume you didn't intend to post it here... but its how it looks
When I first posted it it somehow ended up in the Breitling forum, so I reposted it in the main forum (where I intended the original post to be).
Old 4 March 2019, 02:25 AM   #21
captainron62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King 40mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalmz View Post

I think Seamaster made a mistake with the new model by exaggerating rather than reducing or eliminating the Helium escape valve, it was on my short list until I saw the new even larger valve. I sometimes can overlook the valve on my 2254.50 ref. but no way I am shelling out for an even bigger one.
captainron62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2019, 05:22 PM   #22
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
When I first posted it it somehow ended up in the Breitling forum, so I reposted it in the main forum (where I intended the original post to be).
just giving you a hard time
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2019, 06:29 PM   #23
ricardo-sf
"TRF" Member

I'm really digging the like resale value of a breitling since I'm on the market for a navitimer

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
ricardo-sf is offline   Reply With Quote