The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 February 2019, 07:18 PM   #1
Rolexlover1992
Banned

Rolex vs Breitling

Hello fellow members.
I was wondring how far is the gap between these two houses, btw im talking about normal sized breitlings like the A49350, i really like this model and wanted to get your opinion.
Thank you in advance
Rolexlover1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 07:23 PM   #2
WatchRJ
"TRF" Member

Milgauss
WatchRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 07:24 PM   #3
SN13
"TRF" Member

Rolex.

Double the price now, 5x the price on resale.

--- 1986 DD 18038 --- 1992 YM 16628 --- 2015 116600 SD4K --- SBDX001 MM300 --- 2009 Omega Ploprof White --- 2010 Omega LE LMPO
SN13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 07:24 PM   #4
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Rolex vs Breitling

The only Breitling worth having IMHO is the Navitimer.

I’d get the Milgaus.

With that said, why does it come down to these 2?

There aren’t other options for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 07:26 PM   #5
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Milgauss, not fond of that particular Breitling model, not fish not meat.
I do like the (old) Navitimers and prefer that over a Milgauss
Old 21 February 2019, 07:28 PM   #6
Rolexlover1992
Banned

Actually there is, but no sub or gmt for me.
I came to realize that i don't like these two models in particular, also i prefer my rolexes with polished lugs, like a yachtmaster 1. Which i bought and sold allready.
Old 21 February 2019, 07:55 PM   #7
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexlover1992 View Post
Hello fellow members.

I was wondring how far is the gap between these two houses, btw im talking about normal sized breitlings like the A49350, i really like this model and wanted to get your opinion.

Thank you in advance

This is very similar to the Avenger II GMT. Personally, I'm a big fan and if you're buying for aesthetics and not resale then you don't need Rolex if it doesn't speak to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 09:11 PM   #8
dmhines
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss / GMT II
Buy whatever you think looks best on your wrist .. but buy smart ... Never pay retail for Breitling ... try to pay retail for Rolex ...
Breitling SOH II - Brown 42 / Breitling 806 Re-Edition
dmhines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 09:18 PM   #9
MercLBDM
"TRF" Member

I'm a mere novice when it comes to the technical differences, or which is best, but I do have a preference for the less bulky look of Rolex, and the bracelets. Picked up the Milgauss on Saturday to add to GMT Master II BLNR bought late 2017, both purchased new from my local AD. Had popped in to enquire on lead time for an LV and left with the Milgauss they had in the window.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
MercLBDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 09:23 PM   #10
Rolexlover1992
Banned

I actually have both i was wondring if you guys liked breitling as much as rolex, which i do and i find them very much in the same category.
Here comes the heat
Old 21 February 2019, 09:28 PM   #11
Brew
"TRF" Member

I also find them in a same category. I don't care for either.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 09:30 PM   #12
MercLBDM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I actually have both i was wondring if you guys liked breitling as much as rolex, which i do and i find them very much in the same category.
Here comes the heat
Both look spiffing. When I first got interested in gazing at the window displays of jewellers, Breitling were probably the brand I gazed at the most. Think I'm stuck in a Rolex moment for now, and there are so many models and variations thereof in their line up that I'd love to add to my existing pair, but I'd also love to diversify a bit at some point.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
MercLBDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 09:47 PM   #13
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Both are fine brands and I have owned both. Rolex for me is the choice.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 11:17 PM   #14
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Hello fellow members.
Thank you in advance
The navitimer is one of the most respected and longest running chronographs in the business period. However the “gap” is a perceived one based on value-Rolex holds its value far better. I have owned both and can tell you my breitling were tough as nails, accurate, and reliable. Now both breitling I owned did not have the in house movement. I owned a breitling for 12 years never serviced and ran brilliantly. Breitling has also introduced some well respected in house movements. My Navi and chronomat has excellent quality straps/bracelet, and the finishing was on par with Rolex.

Style wise, (other than the navitimer) breitling is all over the place and I think struggling to finds its identity. Their recent watches have been very large (though interestingly enough the giant 46mm Navi is more popular than the smaller version) and very shiny. Now breitling gets a bad rap for this as my Daytona with pcl is quite blingy as are the gmt’s so a bit of a double standard there.

Ultimately you should buy what you like to wear. I like that when I wear my Navi I almost never see another on someone’s wrist. Where with my 16610, I walk down the hall at my workplace and can spot 2-3.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 11:41 PM   #15
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmhines View Post
Buy whatever you think looks best on your wrist .. but buy smart ... Never pay retail for Breitling ... try to pay retail for Rolex ...
This is the best advice on here.

Breitling is still trying to clean house of all the bling from previous years so give them a little more time. I know it's not what people want to hear, but I think they're heading in the right direction with their focus on reintroducing some of their historical models.
jnelson3097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 10:41 AM   #16
GSDLover
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5205r-010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
I also find them in a same category. I don't care for either.
Lol. That added nothing useful to the conversation, but was pretty funny.
GSDLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 12:31 PM   #17
Tha Baron
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
The navitimer is one of the most respected and longest running chronographs in the business period. However the “gap” is a perceived one based on value-Rolex holds its value far better. I have owned both and can tell you my breitling were tough as nails, accurate, and reliable. Now both breitling I owned did not have the in house movement. I owned a breitling for 12 years never serviced and ran brilliantly. Breitling has also introduced some well respected in house movements. My Navi and chronomat has excellent quality straps/bracelet, and the finishing was on par with Rolex.

Style wise, (other than the navitimer) breitling is all over the place and I think struggling to finds its identity. Their recent watches have been very large (though interestingly enough the giant 46mm Navi is more popular than the smaller version) and very shiny. Now breitling gets a bad rap for this as my Daytona with pcl is quite blingy as are the gmt’s so a bit of a double standard there.

Ultimately you should buy what you like to wear. I like that when I wear my Navi I almost never see another on someone’s wrist. Where with my 16610, I walk down the hall at my workplace and can spot 2-3.
Except when Breitling went belly up decades ago and sold the Navitimer design to Sinn...

I'd say the SpeedMaster has more pedigree...
Tha Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 12:35 PM   #18
Tha Baron
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN13 View Post
Rolex.

Double the price now, 5x the price on resale.
This. Although "double the MSRP now" if you can find the Rolex in stock...
Tha Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 10:58 PM   #19
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Baron View Post
Except when Breitling went belly up decades ago and sold the Navitimer design to Sinn...

I'd say the SpeedMaster has more pedigree...

I own both and arguments can be made on both sides. But it’s been cited that Sinn bought the breitling parts and simply stamped their name on the dial. These were really navitimers. Many articles on the source consider it the oldest mechanical chronograph still in production. So in any event, it’s s close horse race and that’s why I have them both!

Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 09:01 AM   #20
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
I'm a bit (lot) over who has the biggest d!ck arguments. There are too many (insert brand) fanboys and not enough watch lovers. I own Rolex, Omega, Brietling, Heuer, Tudor and love each of them more because they are all very different. I couldn't think of anything worse than 5-6 watches all with the same DNA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2019, 03:10 PM   #21
ElTiburonTigre
"TRF" Member

This. I personally like the way the average Breitling looks more than the average rolex. I have 3 Breitlings... a Navitimer, a B-2 and an Aeromarine Chrono Avenger M1 Yellow Dial. I have 3 Rolex... a SS Black Sub, and TT Sub with Blue Face and a 126660 DEEPSEA arrivin tomorrow.

At 6’5”, the Sub has always been small for my wrist (IMO), so I’ve liked Breitling more. However, the DEEPSEA is a game changer for me. Absolutely love the way it looks and I’m like a kid on Christmas Eve waiting for it to arrive tomorrow.

It’s all about what looks good on your wrist. They are both great watch brands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmhines View Post
ElTiburonTigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2019, 10:38 PM   #22
Wristwatcherboy
"TRF" Member

Both great brands with great watches, I like both and also I really like Panerai.

As others have said here, buy what you like. Don’t be influenced by whether it holds its value or not.

I think this year at Baselworld Breitling will reveal some really great and interesting watches. They will have had over a year to get into their “new” stride since the brand relaunch.
Wristwatcherboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 05:00 AM   #23
captainron62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King 40mm
Breitling makes an amazing watch. I love my Breitling and my Rolex, but it's hard to argue that if you buy a Breitling for a good price 30% off that it is a great, great value. They will never have the international name, but they are tanks and say what you will but you can spot a Breitling two tables away always.
captainron62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2019, 12:44 PM   #24
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I do think Rolex makes a higher quality watch but the difference is not as large as many would make it out to be, especially when you consider the discount you can get on Breitling and the Rolex shortage along with the crazy used and gray market prices people are asking. I also think Breitling is moving in the right direction by focusing on their classics, particularly the classic Navitimer 1 line, the Super Ocean Heritage II line, and the new Premier line.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 05:41 AM   #25
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
The only Breitling worth having IMHO is the Navitimer.

I’d get the Milgaus.

With that said, why does it come down to these 2?

There aren’t other options for you?

The blackbird/chronomat is a very solid water/sports chronograph imho. You can time two things at once.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 05:41 AM   #26
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Get the MG. holds value better and is a more reliable robust watch imho. Breitling is a higher level of craftsmanship, not as good on movements or reliability.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2019, 02:23 AM   #27
didyunt
Banned

This shouldn't be compared in anyway.
didyunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2019, 02:38 AM   #28
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Rainclouds
not a fan

I'm not a fan of Breitling as I'm of the understanding that its uses modified ETA movements, cosmetically to me they also look odd, if they went back to basics and started making their own movements then id show an interest.
Smiths W10 1968
Tissot Seastar 2011
spoilsofwar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2019, 03:16 AM   #29
ricardo-sf
"TRF" Member

Its not an either or choice for me -- I have both .. a rolex and a breitling ..

I think breitling packs alot of value into their watches -- my next breitling will be a Navitimer -- and i'm thinking of picking up a Superocean 2019 ..

If you like the look --then wear it.
ricardo-sf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2019, 10:24 AM   #30
tjs00
"TRF" Member

Breitling - very underrated - get it from a grey dealer or trusted seller and you'll get a great discount. Generally not true for Rolex. Or even go used.
tjs00 is offline   Reply With Quote