The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 12 December 2017, 09:47 AM   #1
IwakiDenizen
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1961 Revisited
Important questions

I'm in the process of buying my first Rolex. It will be a used DateJust of SubMariner. I think I have found the one I want but I just want to hear from veteran buyers. What are the important questions to ask before putting down my money. I have never paid thousands of dollars to buy a used product sight unseen from someone halfway across the world. I will probably be using escrow offered by Chrono24. While I can return it, I would much rather ask the right questions first.
IwakiDenizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 10:17 AM   #2
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
First, what do you know about the seller, and do you trust him/her.

Second, what does the seller know about the history of the watch, how many prior owners, if it was serviced?

Third, does the watch condition match the description? For example, a watch described as “barely worn” yet has lots of scratches and dings would be inconsistent.

Fourth, if there are any inconsistencies (see three above) which gives you doubt, move on.

Fifth, based on watch condition and service history, does the price make sense?

Sixth, if the price does not seem reasonable, or makes you question it, move on.

Seven, if you have any doubt, move on.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 10:29 AM   #3
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Have you used the escrow on chrono24 before? Do you know how efficient it is if things go wrong? I have never heard of it being used. I would rather buy in person from a trusted source and pay a bit more.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 10:32 AM   #4
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by IwakiDenizen View Post
I'm in the process of buying my first Rolex. It will be a used DateJust of SubMariner. I think I have found the one I want but I just want to hear from veteran buyers. What are the important questions to ask before putting down my money. I have never paid thousands of dollars to buy a used product sight unseen from someone halfway across the world. I will probably be using escrow offered by Chrono24. While I can return it, I would much rather ask the right questions first.
These are very common watches in Japan, which is a great place for used Rolex shopping. Assuming that is your location, why not buy it there and avoid the potential pitfalls and anxiety?
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 10:43 AM   #5
Quailhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex President
You are a lot braver than am I. How do you know what’s inside the watch? All Rolex parts or not? Maintained correctly or not? Thousands for a pig in a poke? Very brave.
Quailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 10:52 AM   #6
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
I have heard mixed reviews on Chrono24 I would use one of our ''Trusted Sellers'' they are all very good. Make the deal easy as can be you could have the timepiece in hand in less than two days. I know you are in Japan but I just put our sellers a foot ahead of all others .. Just my opinion .. Good luck on whatever you decide.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 10:53 AM   #7
MorningTundra
"TRF" Member

I’ve used Chrono24 several times with international sellers. Never had problems. Chrono24 does a nice job of keeping both parties straight... more balanced than eBay at least.

Sent from my cracked, broken hand wound phone. IG @morning_tundra
MorningTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 11:10 AM   #8
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Write your questions down and contact the seller with them. Ive bought from private sellers on ebay and the forum and had good luck but I've always had several conversations before buying. I would definitely recommend the trusted sellers on the forum for more peace of mind as well. You should have many good choices for a DJ. good luck.
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 11:37 AM   #9
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

imho Japan has good prices, easier to buy in your home country
Old 12 December 2017, 11:53 AM   #10
GFONG
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange / Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
These are very common watches in Japan, which is a great place for used Rolex shopping. Assuming that is your location, why not buy it there and avoid the potential pitfalls and anxiety?
X2. I know a lot of Chinese people go to Japan to buy new and preowned watches.
GFONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 12:56 PM   #11
IwakiDenizen
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all of the replies everyone.

I don't feel that I am taking a gamble by buying from a seller off of Chrono24. The seller (Precious Timepiece and Co. in LA) is respected and I assume the escrow works as designed (at no extra cost to me). My question is more in line with how Libertine answered me. What intelligent questions should I be asking in order to not be disappointed when it arrives then want to return it? #2, asking about previous owners is one I will consider.

Not buying here in Japan... I suppose I am getting a bit impatient. I have gone down all the usual suspect alleyways. I just can't find what I am looking for here. I am looking for a black or blue datejust in good condition for under $5,000. I prefer the jubilee and sapphire. I would be very happy to buy here in Japan or here on TRF but can't find this watch... Maybe it's just that I am not very good at inputting good search parameters. Is there a want to buy section on TRF?
Old 12 December 2017, 01:08 PM   #12
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Thanks for all of the replies everyone.

I don't feel that I am taking a gamble by buying from a seller off of Chrono24. The seller (Precious Timepiece and Co. in LA) is respected and I assume the escrow works as designed (at no extra cost to me). My question is more in line with how Libertine answered me. What intelligent questions should I be asking in order to not be disappointed when it arrives then want to return it? #2, asking about previous owners is one I will consider.

Not buying here in Japan... I suppose I am getting a bit impatient. I have gone down all the usual suspect alleyways. I just can't find what I am looking for here. I am looking for a black or blue datejust in good condition for under $5,000. I prefer the jubilee and sapphire. I would be very happy to buy here in Japan or here on TRF but can't find this watch... Maybe it's just that I am not very good at inputting good search parameters. Is there a want to buy section on TRF?
Yes, you just have to look for it. And be a Pledge Member to use it.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 03:25 PM   #13
IwakiDenizen
"TRF" Member

Is it reasonable to request a picture of the movement?
Old 12 December 2017, 03:44 PM   #14
rolehex
2024 Pledge Member

Personally I would ONLY use the escrow service while purchaseing through Chono24. Here is an example of what can go wrong.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...light=chrono24
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 03:50 PM   #15
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Not a fan of this idea and agree there are plenty of subs and datejusts in Japan. Perhaps be patient for a bit before taking the gamble unless the dealer is that solid and the price is that good. IMO if you buy from an individual or chrono24 out of country, you had better be prepared with an experienced watchmaker to authenticate the watch for you....sellers can show you anything when you request pictures. You have to do the legwork if you want to be safe going through this channel.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 05:11 PM   #16
IwakiDenizen
"TRF" Member

My original question is getting side-tracked. What are good questions to ask (as pertain particularly to Rolexes.) when buying sight unseen.

As I see it, sight unseen would also apply to sellers on TRF. I have bought and sold a few watches on WUS and the Bay without any problems. Always satisfied. I have never owned a Rolex ($3,000 is the most I have paid for a single watch thus far) so, I was just wondering what, if any questions would be good to ask the seller.
Old 12 December 2017, 05:16 PM   #17
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
My original question is getting side-tracked. What are good questions to ask (as pertain particularly to Rolexes.) when buying sight unseen.

As I see it, sight unseen would also apply to sellers on TRF. I have bought and sold a few watches on WUS and the Bay without any problems. Always satisfied. I have never owned a Rolex ($3,000 is the most I have paid for a single watch thus far) so, I was just wondering what, if any questions would be good to ask the seller.
I would go with the questions you've previously asked, they seem to be working!
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 09:05 PM   #18
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
https://davidsw.com/product/rolex-11...-stick-dial-3/

DavidSW has your watch for a little more than what your budget is. Assuming you want a 36mm case and not the newer DJ41.

I’ve never used them but have heard nothing but good reviews from people here.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 09:18 PM   #19
RMC12
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf/Hulk/1680
I have bought from Chrono24 in the past. I spent A LOT of time researching the seller though. I was 99.999% sure that everything was legit before I pulled the trigger. I asked for additional photo's (different from those shown on Chrono) copies of any receipts they had, photos of the guarantee etc. All of which should be no problem for them to provide if they are who they say they are.
RMC12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2017, 03:01 AM   #20
WhiskyVerb
Banned

Watch: 214270, Speedy Pro
I always thought I would never buy online. But enough talk here about "buy the seller," and experiences people here had with DavidSW changed my mind. I'm not sure about Chrono24 - but if I did purchase through that site, I would research the seller and probably only buy within my home country.
WhiskyVerb is offline   Reply With Quote