The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 January 2017, 05:12 AM   #1
Cam4034
"TRF" Member

Is it possible to get a discount on a blnr?

So I have decided now to go for a gmt blnr. The question is what should I do in terms of buying it? This time I have chosen to go with an AD but I just can't seem to get any discount even though I'm offering cash. The only way I can theoretically get a discount is by going over the bridge to New Jersey to avoid the 6% tax. is there any chance an ad from a different state would discount and ship? How would I find them? Even at that point though I would lose the tax advantage. I really have no interest at all buying from the grey market, I had a bad first time experience with a preowned and that has given me the mindset that this next watch needs to be from an AD. Has anyone had a recent experience buying a blnr? Thanks.
Cam4034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2017, 05:15 AM   #2
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
Full pop. 5% at most like you said unless you are spending 100k a year at an AD or catch a manager in a good mood...we can find 10% in Canada but our sales tax is killer.
japenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2017, 05:27 AM   #3
Cam4034
"TRF" Member

Yeah one place offered me like 12 or 16 month 0 percent financing but I just don't see how that's anything to me if I was offering to buy with cash. Unless there is something with financing I don't know about. I just always lurk and read people getting that 10-15% off which maybe I shouldn't be expecting? I realize it's a popular model but places do have it in stock.
Old 10 January 2017, 05:31 AM   #4
schwartz914
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
yes you can get a BNIB for about 8300-8400
schwartz914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2017, 05:37 AM   #5
Cam4034
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwartz914 View Post
yes you can get a BNIB for about 8300-8400
From an AD? They basically quoted me at 8800-8900 without the tax, would be around 9400 with the tax.
Old 10 January 2017, 05:37 AM   #6
Sublover2166
Banned

Watch: Ol'Bluesy & Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam4034 View Post
So I have decided now to go for a gmt blnr. The question is what should I do in terms of buying it? This time I have chosen to go with an AD but I just can't seem to get any discount even though I'm offering cash. The only way I can theoretically get a discount is by going over the bridge to New Jersey to avoid the 6% tax. is there any chance an ad from a different state would discount and ship? How would I find them? Even at that point though I would lose the tax advantage. I really have no interest at all buying from the grey market, I had a bad first time experience with a preowned and that has given me the mindset that this next watch needs to be from an AD. Has anyone had a recent experience buying a blnr? Thanks.
Why not buy from one of the trusted sellers here on the forum? Not all the watches are grey market. I bought my Hulk from a seller here, watch came from a USA AD, with my name on the valid warranty card. Saved 1K off AD price and of course no sales tax. I was thrilled with the transaction.
BTW, watch was BNIB never worn with all stickers in place.
Sublover2166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2017, 05:49 AM   #7
wireking1
"TRF" Member

Getting a discount on a pretty desirable stainless steel sports model at an AD is going to be tough. Your options are likely going to be pay full boat at an AD or go the Trusted Seller route.
wireking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2017, 05:55 AM   #8
Cam4034
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublover2166 View Post
Why not buy from one of the trusted sellers here on the forum? Not all the watches are grey market. I bought my Hulk from a seller here, watch came from a USA AD, with my name on the valid warranty card. Saved 1K off AD price and of course no sales tax. I was thrilled with the transaction.
BTW, watch was BNIB never worn with all stickers in place.
I just am unfortunately not well aware of the major components of the watches. I can tell a fake from appearance but I would just be able to rest easier knowing it came from that store. Also I get worried about stolen watches etc because I'm not sure if the sellers check them if they get them from someone else and I wouldn't know until years down the road when I get it serviced. I do see the value and it is tempting but I just want somewhere to be able to go back to if something isn't working correctly. My first Rolex purchase was second hand and really irritated me, between the lies on all spectrums. Also isn't a purchased Rolex sold in new condition with no name on the warranty grey market? I'm still learning
Old 10 January 2017, 05:57 AM   #9
Masteryacht
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16622,BLNR,116500
It's going to be very difficult if you don't have a relationship with an AD, ie., Have purchased from them before or know them on a personal level. In the end, your effort might be more than the $1000 savings is worth.
Masteryacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2017, 05:58 AM   #10
TitanCi
"TRF" Member

My friend's uncle just bought his 14 year old son (true, and I know, right?) one for $8100 OTD from Nebraska, so it can be had for sure. The AD in Nebraska won't do deals over the phone, but if you have someone in NE that can go to this big AD, do a phone deal for you, then shipped to your door for $8,100.
TitanCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2017, 05:59 AM   #11
Castiel
"TRF" Member

OP you can get some info on the Trusted Sellers on the Who's Who section. Buy with confidence on some of the trusted sellers here like DavidSW and Takuya. You can also easily e-mail the sellers to get more information as needed.
Castiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2017, 05:59 AM   #12
Cam4034
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireking1 View Post
Getting a discount on a pretty desirable stainless steel sports model at an AD is going to be tough. Your options are likely going to be pay full boat at an AD or go the Trusted Seller route.
Yeah I think I'm going the no tax route, but it just surprises me cash isn't preferred over a 12-16 month 0% financing plan. Unless they think I'm going to not pay in that time and they will get me haha. My finance teacher always told me a dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow, but I guess certain things are variable.
Old 10 January 2017, 06:00 AM   #13
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
That might be a tough one to get discounted. It's still very in demand, as you know.
It can't hurt to ask but a trip to Jersey seems like your best bet at a little discount from the tax. Also, doesn't Philly have an extra 2% sales tax, or did that expire? Come out to the burbs. There's enough for a nice dinner somewhere.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2017, 06:03 AM   #14
Sublover2166
Banned

Watch: Ol'Bluesy & Hulk
Quote:
I just am unfortunately not well aware of the major components of the watches. I can tell a fake from appearance but I would just be able to rest easier knowing it came from that store. Also I get worried about stolen watches etc because I'm not sure if the sellers check them if they get them from someone else and I wouldn't know until years down the road when I get it serviced. I do see the value and it is tempting but I just want somewhere to be able to go back to if something isn't working correctly. My first Rolex purchase was second hand and really irritated me, between the lies on all spectrums. Also isn't a purchased Rolex sold in new condition with no name on the warranty grey market? I'm still learning
If you must buy from an AD, and don't have an established relationship with one, expect to pay full MSRP+sales tax. Bottom line. Watches like the BLNR and Hulk are simply not discounted. Not all trusted seller watches are grey market. These sellers buy watches in big numbers from AD's they have relationships with out the back door. Since the watches originate from an AD, they have valid warranty cards, boxes, booklets etc. Same as buying from an AD, but cheaper. Trusted sellers don't have the operating costs like an AD, hence they can sell new pieces at very good prices and still manage a profit.
Sublover2166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2017, 06:04 AM   #15
Partagas
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DD
Isn't NJ sales tax 7%? I'd go to Delaware, think sales tax is 0%.

I'm also considering buying a BLNR. Unfortunately, right now the savings with a trusted seller seems minimal for a BNIB BLNR. I'm going to wait after Basel World anyway, but expect I'll go with an AD (no sales tax). If I'm going to pay very close to full MSRP, might as well go that route.
Partagas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2017, 06:10 AM   #16
Masteryacht
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16622,BLNR,116500
After doing research and reading here on TRF, call DavidSW and buy your blnr.. It's a little scary at first to think of buying blindly from someone you've never met, but your hesitancy will dissipate over time. There are some great people here on this forum and they all do their own due diligence. You can trust their opinions and recommendations. They will not lead you wrong.
Masteryacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2017, 06:13 AM   #17
Cam4034
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partagas View Post
Isn't NJ sales tax 7%? I'd go to Delaware, think sales tax is 0%.

I'm also considering buying a BLNR. Unfortunately, right now the savings with a trusted seller seems minimal for a BNIB BLNR. I'm going to wait after Basel World anyway, but expect I'll go with an AD (no sales tax). If I'm going to pay very close to full MSRP, might as well go that route.
This is a good question, I'm not sure if because they are sending it out of state they don't collect the tax or if it's because nj has no tax. When I had the first bad experience they also offered to ship to New Jersey so I didn't need to pay tax. My family has a house there so I don't feel like I'm evading taxes or anything lol. I rent here in PA.
Old 10 January 2017, 06:22 AM   #18
Partagas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is a good question, I'm not sure if because they are sending it out of state they don't collect the tax or if it's because nj has no tax. When I had the first bad experience they also offered to ship to New Jersey so I didn't need to pay tax. My family has a house there so I don't feel like I'm evading taxes or anything lol. I rent here in PA.
Okay, if they're shipping it, that makes more sense. Good luck in your search!
Old 10 January 2017, 06:23 AM   #19
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

You will be the AD's best friend when you walk in and buy, then they will forget who you are. Can't understand this "building a relationship" with an AD. Go ahead and pay list price and tax from the AD. I bought a BNIB from DavidSW a year ago, could not be happier.
PS. My name was on the card, but who cares.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2017, 06:25 AM   #20
Cam4034
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteryacht View Post
After doing research and reading here on TRF, call DavidSW and buy your blnr.. It's a little scary at first to think of buying blindly from someone you've never met, but your hesitancy will dissipate over time. There are some great people here on this forum and they all do their own due diligence. You can trust their opinions and recommendations. They will not lead you wrong.
Yeah this is especially hard for me since I really got taken and in person paying about 38%+ over what would be considered fair, I had done minimal research but it's just crazy how one model can have such a drastic price difference in the 1800-3000 range. And I paid top dollar for low end of the spectrum. I do realize that was my fault and it was because I shopped for one day and pulled the trigger the next without even looking at the serial/model just to fuel my compulsion for nice things. Same guy almost got me again for a cyclops sub
Old 10 January 2017, 06:25 AM   #21
swils8610

I've got 12% at my local AD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2017, 06:26 AM   #22
ferrissteve11
"TRF" Member

David SW....contact that man and you will have your BLNR with no headaches, hassle, and ease of mind. I've done a number of deals with him (bought/sold/traded) and they ALL have been top notch.
ferrissteve11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2017, 06:27 AM   #23
Partagas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
You will be the AD's best friend when you walk in and buy, then they will forget who you are. Can't understand this "building a relationship" with an AD. Go ahead and pay list price and tax from the AD. I bought a BNIB from DavidSW a year ago, could not be happier.
PS. My name was on the card, but who cares.
I've bought both ways, twice from AD and once from Thanh (takuya). All were good experiences for me. Boils down to price. That said, it is nice to touch and try on the watches and walk out with one on the spot if you want. And not all states have sales tax

P.S. If you want a BLRO instead of a BLNR, definitely go trusted seller! I know Takuya has one...big savings there.!
Old 10 January 2017, 06:33 AM   #24
sanosan34
"TRF" Member

I got a BLNR from an AD in Los Angeles for 7950 last month. It was my first visit and first purchase there. I'm not sure why they gave me such a great discount, but my wife was with me and she hit it off with the sales lady and asked about potential discounts for cash and that we were out of state. They also sent a box to my address in AZ to make it officially an out-of-state purchase to avoid sales tax.

One important note: we are korean and the sales lady didn't seem to speak any english so not sure if this will help anyone on TRF... but feel free to PM me for the sales lady's name and number.
sanosan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2017, 06:34 AM   #25
mileman402
"TRF" Member

I second the recommendation to go to Delaware. Sidney Thomas jewelers in the Christiana Mall seem pretty good. I talked to them a couple times when I was hunting an Everose YM. I ended up going with Kranich's in State College, PA who are fantastic people, but that still leaves you with the tax.
mileman402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2017, 06:36 AM   #26
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Even with your previous bad experience. Do more research and look at the reviews on the trusted sellers here in the "who's who" thread. Find a seller you feel comfortable with and has a solid reputation. There are several here. I like DavidSW for modern and Kirill for vintage. Not unlike a face to face relationship with an AD, I have a online relationship with them. I have a relationship with the AD in my region too, but honestly, prefer to buy from the sellers here.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2017, 06:38 AM   #27
kauffee
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
Quote:
Yeah this is especially hard for me since I really got taken and in person paying about 38%+ over what would be considered fair, I had done minimal research but it's just crazy how one model can have such a drastic price difference in the 1800-3000 range. And I paid top dollar for low end of the spectrum. I do realize that was my fault and it was because I shopped for one day and pulled the trigger the next without even looking at the serial/model just to fuel my compulsion for nice things. Same guy almost got me again for a cyclops sub
Well the reason they call them "Trusted Sellers" is that they are trusted. There are people on this forum who buy tons of high-dollar watches and if the trusted sellers are good enough for them, you should not worry.

I still consider trusted sellers to be gray market though. Remember that prices from them reflect demand. You're not going to see huge discounts on a BLNR from a trusted seller and for a watch like a Daytona Ceramic, you'll pay thousands more than from an AD (but you'll get the watch!).
kauffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2017, 06:50 AM   #28
RichM

Watch: out now,take care!
Quote:
NJ Sales tax 7%. If you buy in NJ and ship to PA, you will still pay sales tax if you buy from a jewelry store in NJ that also has a store in PA. For example, Bernie Robbins in Somers Point or Marlton also has a store in Villanova, PA. Call AR Morris in Wilmington DE and see if they have one in stock. No sales tax in Delaware and I'm pretty sure they don't have any stores in PA.

Or you could go the TS route. I recommend Thanh Do aka Takuya Watches. Good luck.
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2017, 06:54 AM   #29
Cam4034
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauffee View Post
Well the reason they call them "Trusted Sellers" is that they are trusted. There are people on this forum who buy tons of high-dollar watches and if the trusted sellers are good enough for them, you should not worry.

I still consider trusted sellers to be gray market though. Remember that prices from them reflect demand. You're not going to see huge discounts on a BLNR from a trusted seller and for a watch like a Daytona Ceramic, you'll pay thousands more than from an AD (but you'll get the watch!).
Now if someone else's name is on the warranty is it voided? If it is voided is it possible to buy a warranty again?
Old 10 January 2017, 06:56 AM   #30
raclaims
"TRF" Member

I bought one at full price when they first came out (2013 I think it was)...then bought another one a few months ago fror $8300 new from AD. So yes you can.
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote