The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 August 2017, 01:56 AM   #91
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
I actually like the look of your dial more than the "correct" dial. But definitely curious what's going on. Seems more than a little off from where it should be. That's a pretty big screw-up on Rolex's part if they let that leave the shop like that. Definitely keep us updated
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2017, 01:58 AM   #92
forest172
"TRF" Member

Better pic of mine. Quite blue like yours
forest172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2017, 01:59 AM   #93
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
I had 2 D-Blue DSSDs in the past (both from ADs). The first one had noticeable spots like yours though it wasn't as light.

The second didn't have spots but it was on the lighter side (not as much as yours).

I suppose the black is sprayed over the blue base, hence the spots.

I'd chalk that to production variances. Don't sweat it too much if you like it. Call Rolex if you don't.
Old 9 August 2017, 02:37 AM   #94
mmmcccxxxiii
"TRF" Member

Icon6

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-watch View Post
Man, I think you're missing a golden opportunity here. If you can get RSC to confirm is 100% original (documented) and that it's simply an "error", you've got something truly unique and rare. If it's been documented a few of these made it "out" so to speak, this could be worth a boat load some day. Think about it this way. Its already a low product, practically limited edition watch. What you might have is a unique piece that there may only be a handful of in existence.

The trick is getting them to admit its a QC problem, but once you do that I'd leave it alone and always keep the documented mistake.

Also, to be honest with you, I think the extra blue looks kind of cool!

Just a few thoughts.

Cheers,

J
Thanks for the great tip! I do agree with you, it might be something special, and in fact unique. The Official Rolex Retail I bought this watch from, confirmed the extra blue, and very little black. They’re happy to help. I’m actually planning on flying back there, Sweden, to talk about this issue in person. As Rolex might just replace the dial, and so confirming the QC flaw, but actually not asking me if I want it to be replaced or no. This part is a bit confusing, as to how to get this documented. As many others have said, the dial is quite nice, and extra papa smurf is growing on me. But again, I would rather have it done properly, and enjoy the story behind this watch. I’m still debating, have some time until Thursday/Friday, before I fly there. All the positive feedback on this making me smile! But still undecided, 50/50...
mmmcccxxxiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2017, 02:38 AM   #95
mmmcccxxxiii
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest172 View Post

Better pic of mine. Quite blue like yours
Would love to see yours, image removed.
Old 9 August 2017, 02:45 AM   #96
Nathan71
"TRF" Member

Yes if I look closely I have very small ones where the black merges with the blue
But not as much as yours
Nathan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2017, 03:04 AM   #97
Sumitaro
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you
Mine has silver metallic looking dots, 2 to be exact...

Never seen black dots like yours before..

By the information you gave us so far it is logical to say that it is an original! Id keep it, the higher % of blue looks cool!

Kinda wish mine was like that..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sumitaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2017, 03:47 AM   #98
uncleluck
"TRF" Member

Looks to me like the dials are all blue to start and they airbrush/spray the black on to fade. The dots look like the paint isn't thin enough when coming out the gun.

I'd assume they were done by machine? But certainly looks like a spraying 'defect'
uncleluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2017, 03:59 AM   #99
Oceanlover914
"TRF" Member

Watch: None at the moment
I would think that Rolex has some type of quality control to keep sub par watches from leaving the factory. But I guess, like a coin actually getting double stamped and leaving the mint , it could happen. As long as the watch wasn't somehow purchased, altered and returned unbeknownst to anyone, then it may be very valuable in this condition. I would definitely check the provenance for the watch, to be sure, and then way your options. I love the DBlue though. Super cool watch, just to big on my wrist.
Oceanlover914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2017, 04:12 AM   #100
forest172
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmcccxxxiii View Post
Would love to see yours, image removed.
forest172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2017, 04:15 AM   #101
mmmcccxxxiii
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest172 View Post
Quite blue indeed, but hey, you have the black all the way to the middle. It’s a proper abyss.
Old 9 August 2017, 05:51 AM   #102
Dyim
"TRF" Member

I was looking at mine really hard under bright sun and saw a few dark spots like yours.

Less noticeable because my dial is darker overall than yours.
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2017, 05:51 AM   #103
meganfox17
Banned

I beg to differ on all counts that theorectically the rare error dial would be a most sought after variant and Rolex collectors would be hunting high and low for 0ne

Here are my reasons:

1# This is NOT your typical Baselworld release but very Un-Rolex-like for the Swiss masters to unexpectedly announced the unorthodox D-Blue online on the 4th August 2014 to coincide with the Nat Geo's drama documentary.... Did Mr Cameron have a say in the dial design?If he did,then a flawed design is worth much less than a dial that met his exacting standards AND seal of approval

2#The Story of the DeepSea Challenger is ON THE DIAL and must be factually correct so that its journey into the deepest point on Earth can be narrated accurately to future generations.Lose the gradient design and you've lost the plot!

3# So what's the nickname on the cartoonish D-Blue variant? Ocean 11 ?(10 908 m solo dive).With the higher blue ratio shade, doesn't it appear to you that the green Sub only started its descent somewhere in the lower bottom of the dial?

4# Oh Yeah, some readers think the variant dial looks cool and refreshing ,yes?How about me, e-mailling you guys a few D-Blue bicoloured homage dials not 2 ,not 3 but 5 watches that has more blue than black!Trust me, once you've seen these homage watches, the idea of spraying more blue than black on the dial and calling it a highly collectable timepiece isn't funny anymore..

Again,what if the error dial is indeed proven to be a Rolex botched job, does that make it more desirable and worth a couple of Gs more?

Seriously Guys? I bet I can actually make my non error D-Blue dial worth a Heck of a lot more than a variant dial.How do I do that? Simple.All I have to do is ask Mr James Cameron to wear my watch briefly for a minute then I would provide him with fancy colourful permanent markers and request for his penned autograph on my white T-shirt.I'll also beg him to sketch a picture of the Deep Sea Challenger Sub in green.I'll complete my mission with a WeFie with Mr Cameron(And another photo of him holding my warranty card+ serial number).Imagine the pandemonium it would cause if I put my D-Blue and white Tee up for sale on ebay !
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2017, 07:11 AM   #104
JnmEaton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18038 Presidential
awe snap......... LOL
JnmEaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2017, 08:36 AM   #105
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
If it was all blue that would be more OK, but a gradient 3/4 of the way down is unbalanced, it would bother me. Don't think it is going to be a collector's piece in any way.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2017, 09:00 AM   #106
speedmaster73
Banned

I'm just wondering why we haven't seen a pic of box and papers etc

looks like a good fake to me or worse a deep sea with aftermarket fake dial
speedmaster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2017, 09:08 AM   #107
CGarza9655
"TRF" Member

Watch: OmegaRolexPanerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by meganfox17 View Post
I beg to differ on all counts that theorectically the rare error dial would be a most sought after variant and Rolex collectors would be hunting high and low for 0ne

Here are my reasons:

1# This is NOT your typical Baselworld release but very Un-Rolex-like for the Swiss masters to unexpectedly announced the unorthodox D-Blue online on the 4th August 2014 to coincide with the Nat Geo's drama documentary.... Did Mr Cameron have a say in the dial design?If he did,then a flawed design is worth much less than a dial that met his exacting standards AND seal of approval

2#The Story of the DeepSea Challenger is ON THE DIAL and must be factually correct so that its journey into the deepest point on Earth can be narrated accurately to future generations.Lose the gradient design and you've lost the plot!

3# So what's the nickname on the cartoonish D-Blue variant? Ocean 11 ?(10 908 m solo dive).With the higher blue ratio shade, doesn't it appear to you that the green Sub only started its descent somewhere in the lower bottom of the dial?

4# Oh Yeah, some readers think the variant dial looks cool and refreshing ,yes?How about me, e-mailling you guys a few D-Blue bicoloured homage dials not 2 ,not 3 but 5 watches that has more blue than black!Trust me, once you've seen these homage watches, the idea of spraying more blue than black on the dial and calling it a highly collectable timepiece isn't funny anymore..

Again,what if the error dial is indeed proven to be a Rolex botched job, does that make it more desirable and worth a couple of Gs more?

Seriously Guys? I bet I can actually make my non error D-Blue dial worth a Heck of a lot more than a variant dial.How do I do that? Simple.All I have to do is ask Mr James Cameron to wear my watch briefly for a minute then I would provide him with fancy colourful permanent markers and request for his penned autograph on my white T-shirt.I'll also beg him to sketch a picture of the Deep Sea Challenger Sub in green.I'll complete my mission with a WeFie with Mr Cameron(And another photo of him holding my warranty card+ serial number).Imagine the pandemonium it would cause if I put my D-Blue and white Tee up for sale on ebay !
Collectibles almost never follow this clear line of logic though. Anything out of the ordinary or unique, regardless of if it is a flaw or not will be valuated higher in many if not all cases. 100% agreed on the T-Shirt combo though
CGarza9655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2017, 05:47 PM   #108
mmmcccxxxiii
"TRF" Member

UPDATE

Quote:
Dear ***,
We just got information that your watch will be replaced with the new one! Now we are waiting for the shipment to be made, and as soon as we have the watch in our boutique, we will let you know immediately.
Kind regards,
Nymans Ur 1851
I'm super happy and just over the moon! Now I wonder how long does it take for them to replace the watch, if supposedly there is a 5 years wait for them...
Old 30 August 2017, 09:53 PM   #109
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
UPDATE

I'm super happy and just over the moon! Now I wonder how long does it take for them to replace the watch, if supposedly there is a 5 years wait for them...
Great outcome!
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2017, 11:19 PM   #110
mmmcccxxxiii
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Islandboy View Post
Great outcome!
Yup, thank you! I actually took the plane to Sweden, and went to the retailer straight away, first thing! And yes, they agreed instantly that there is something wrong. So it was all worth it
Old 30 August 2017, 11:20 PM   #111
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLRO
Quote:
UPDATE

WOW! They replaced the whole watch and not just the dial?
rushca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2017, 11:25 PM   #112
mmmcccxxxiii
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushca01 View Post
WOW! They replaced the whole watch and not just the dial?
Yes, the Rolex is replacing the whole watch! I'm actually surprised, but it makes sense. I bought it brand new, from the official Rolex Retailer, so I really appreciate their decision. Ideally, I wouldn't want my new watch to be opened, and fiddled around just to replace the dial, etc... I would rather get a replacement, which I did!
Old 31 August 2017, 01:17 AM   #113
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Don't stare as hard at the new one....
Sublovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 03:01 AM   #114
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Congrats! glad things worked out. Incurred expenses for travel, was it just for replacing the watch? Hope not.

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 04:25 AM   #115
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLRO
Quote:
Yes, the Rolex is replacing the whole watch! I'm actually surprised, but it makes sense. I bought it brand new, from the official Rolex Retailer, so I really appreciate their decision. Ideally, I wouldn't want my new watch to be opened, and fiddled around just to replace the dial, etc... I would rather get a replacement, which I did!
Wow, kudos to Rolex and great outcome for you! Wonder what they do with those watches? Offer them to employees? Keep the movement and melt the rest to be reused???
rushca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 04:34 AM   #116
Oceanlover914
"TRF" Member

Watch: None at the moment
Well although it may have been cool to have a "unique" dial that could be rare, I personally like to have my stuff the way it is suppose to be. SO I am glad they admitted that there is something wrong and that they are going to give you a new watch. Those are a dime a dozen around here. Hopefully you get yours soon.
Oceanlover914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 05:52 AM   #117
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yup, thank you! I actually took the plane to Sweden, and went to the retailer straight away, first thing! And yes, they agreed instantly that there is something wrong. So it was all worth it
Wow! Great news OP.
Now let's see pic size of the new one.
Old 31 August 2017, 05:53 AM   #118
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
UPDATE

Wow! Great news OP
Now let's see pics of the new one.
Old 31 August 2017, 06:12 AM   #119
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Interesting to read that Rolex will replace the watch. I don't think I've heard of a dial error resulting in total replacement before.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 06:13 AM   #120
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
UPDATE

Thanks for the update.
I always had it in the back of my mind that's how it would work out from previous experience with Rolex. That was assuming you were prepared to go the extra mile to take it back personally.

I think you will be surprised at how quickly the new watch will arrive.
It's not like they have to start digging the Ore out of the ground to start to make you a new one
They will expedite the allocation out of their stock to you once they make the commitment.
It is the Rolex way, and one of the main reasons why I always come back to Rolex again and again.

Did they give you any indication as to how they will ensure you will be able to take delivery at minimal inconvenience to you?
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote