The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 August 2017, 10:11 PM   #1
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
Ballpark Estimate for Service

I have a P-Serial (2000) 16710 Pepsi that's my grail watch. Service history unknown. Its running like a Swiss watch now, gaining a minute per month so I'm hesitant to do anything.

The lume on the dial is still decent but the hands have almost no lume left. 1-2 minutes after shining a flashlight on the face. The dial lasts far longer. Rolex was never known for having the strongest lume, I know. I'm considering having the watch pressure tested and having the seals replaced if necessary because I wear this watch all the time found everything. I am also thinking about having the 4 hands replaced, although they still look perfect in the light.

Am I being stupid for considering this? And if so, anybody have a ballpark estimate of how much my stupidity may cost me?
I replaced the slightly faded bezel insert myself with a blue-back insert, keeping the original red-back insert. I'm not a fan of a watch with patina unless it came from me wearing it.
Old 23 August 2017, 11:12 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Speaking for myself a full service is well overdue, its pointless to just replace the seals as they have to strip the watch down to do that.After service watch will be as good as new pressure checked with a full two year warranty.As for the hands I would leave them alone the hands have a very small lume surface area hence the lack of like glow service cost around $600-$750 depending if any parts are needed.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 11:18 PM   #3
JnmEaton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18038 Presidential
my experience is $700-800 for regular service. Vintage piece needed $1250 with some laser welding, etc.......
JnmEaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 11:22 PM   #4
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Starts around $600 and can go up from there depending on what's needed.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 11:33 PM   #5
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Speaking for myself a full service is well overdue, its pointless to just replace the seals as they have to strip the watch down to do that.After service watch will be as good as new pressure checked with a full two year warranty.As for the hands I would leave them alone the hands have a very small lume surface area hence the lack of like glow service cost around $600-$750 depending if any parts are needed.
Here's your answer. This guy knows his stuff.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 02:13 AM   #6
Wooddog44
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub Date, TT DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
Here's your answer. This guy knows his stuff.
Unless requested a service wouldnt include replacing the hands.....
Wooddog44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 03:17 AM   #7
jguerra04
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day/GMT/Sub/43/SKY
Just did a full movement service to my Z serial 16710 and it was $700. The lume is still strong, but RSC Dallas still recommended I replace the hands and I declined. For what its worth, to replace the hands was quoted really cheap. I think it was like $72.
jguerra04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 03:22 AM   #8
ras47
"TRF" Member

Thank you all! I'll send my baby to the Dallas RSC shortly for basic service, and we'll just see what they say about the hands. If it's only $72 added to the general service I may do it. I'm not a collector and plan to have this watch for the rest of my life, so original parts are not such a big deal for me.

While it's running like a top now, not knowing how water resistant it is gives me the willies. I jump in pools, lakes, oceans, rivers, all at the drop of a hat, and my BLRO is always with me. I hate to be without it for however long service takes, but better safe than sorry.

Thanks again everybody! When in doubt, find somebody who knows more than you and ask. :)
Old 24 August 2017, 10:36 AM   #9
ras47
"TRF" Member

Rolex says one week to give me the word on what my BLRO needs, or what is recommended. Not bad. And no work takes place until I confirm exactly what I want done. I will insure it for $8,000 when I ship tomorrow.
Old 24 August 2017, 02:47 PM   #10
sager
"TRF" Member

Keep us posted. I'm interested in what they quote you.
sager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2017, 02:35 AM   #11
ras47
"TRF" Member

Ok, I shipped my Pepsi off from NJ to TX today at noon (EST) via USPS, as per Rolex's instructions. Meanwhile my Speedmaster gets some extended wrist time.

For those considering sending a watch to an RSC, here's how it works. You have to call them and give them an email address. Then they send you a PDF with detailed instructions. Paper tape on the box is a must. No plastic tape of any kind! Staples has the right tape - the post office doesn't sell it. This is because the package must be sent as registered mail. Also note that this paper tape must be dampened with a wet sponge as you apply it.

I got $8,000 worth of insurance and it cost me less than $21. Postage was about $9. Considering the value of the watch and what I'll pay for service, $30 for insured shipping isn't that bad.
Old 25 August 2017, 03:29 AM   #12
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooddog44 View Post
Unless requested a service wouldnt include replacing the hands.....
Yeah, I wouldn't replace the hands. Ask most any vintage collector and they will say the same.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 11:09 PM   #13
ras47
"TRF" Member

Rolex Dallas received my watch on Monday. It's "in the queue" and awaiting evaluation. According to customer service it could be a week before I hear back. They close early tomorrow and remain closed Monday for Labor Day. Very friendly and helpful folks in Dallas. Let's hope their work is as good as their phone skills.
Old 6 September 2017, 03:11 AM   #14
ras47
"TRF" Member

I got the estimate/authorization form today in an email from Rolex Dallas. I will post a picture of the estimate (edited for privacy and security) so folks can see what it costs for the various things my GMT2 needs. Note that I initially sent my watch to Rolex for general service as the service history for this one is unknown, and I want it to last me forever.

They go over a watch with a loupe to see what needs replacing. You either choose the "necessary" repairs as decided by Rolex or they do nothing. They also listed a few minor repairs that were optional and I declined. They found flaws that I never saw with my tired old eyes. A lot of folks would decline all these changes and have the watch returned untouched, maybe to be serviced by an independent watchmaker. I, on the other hand, am not a collector and plan to keep this watch forever. So the replacement parts like the dial don't bother me in the least. I am actually appreciative of getting new hands and dial for the stronger lume. That's an important feature for me personally.

Anywho, here's the necessary repairs I have authorized. Not included is the replacement crystal I declined for an additional $180. They said there was a slight scratching on the cyclops that I was never able to detect, so screw it. But I'm sucking it up on the rest of this stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: png ServiceEstimate_Page_1.png (222.7 KB, 1217 views)
Old 6 September 2017, 03:41 AM   #15
ras47
"TRF" Member

Interesting how they doubled the cost from the expected basic service with these "necessary" other things. Reminds me of furniture stores selling you a table for a couple hundred dollars, but then soaking you for the matching chairs. I asked very nicely about getting my old parts back, offering to pay more for the privilege, and the rep quoted me the standard policy that we all know, and that is printed on the authorization form, the one stating that "all parts are replaced on a trade-in basis". She further explained that Rolex won't return the old parts even if you pay - it's just a matter of policy. They really want to control the entire Rolex experience, ensuring old sub-standard parts don't get back onto the market. And yeah, there's money in controlling the entire parts supply chain. I get that too.
Old 6 September 2017, 03:54 AM   #16
NKflyer
"TRF" Member

That's interesting about the scratched dial. I have witnessed many times that RSC gives a recommendation to replace an older dial due to fading but if scratched, that would seem to indicate past damage from a careless watchmaker or hands dragging on the dial from improper install. Without seeing in person with a loupe, it's tough to say if replacing is warranted.

Regarding the hands, luminova lume basically doesn't degrade, so the hands should be as bright now as when the watch was brand new. Although like you said, not great to begin with.
NKflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 05:30 AM   #17
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Thanks for sharing the list and updating the thread, it is useful info for other newbs like myself.

A little steep, but you will end up with a great looking watch freshly serviced by RSC which will add that much more value to it. A good investment in the grand scheme of things. If it were me, I would just pay the additional 12% ($180) and get the crystal updated too.

Can't wait to see the final result.

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 05:49 AM   #18
Bello_nyc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Thanks for sharing !!
♛ Datejust2 116334 💎💎
Bello_nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 05:53 AM   #19
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

Funny enough, I just had my P-Serial 16710 serviced by RSC Beverly Hills last month as well and it also cost me roughly $1200 with hands replacement, new crystal as changed parts. Watch came back to me better than new, RSC really does a fantastic job.
sampelligrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 06:39 AM   #20
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ras47 View Post
I got the estimate/authorization form today in an email from Rolex Dallas. I will post a picture of the estimate (edited for privacy and security) so folks can see what it costs for the various things my GMT2 needs. Note that I initially sent my watch to Rolex for general service as the service history for this one is unknown, and I want it to last me forever.

They go over a watch with a loupe to see what needs replacing. You either choose the "necessary" repairs as decided by Rolex or they do nothing. They also listed a few minor repairs that were optional and I declined. They found flaws that I never saw with my tired old eyes. A lot of folks would decline all these changes and have the watch returned untouched, maybe to be serviced by an independent watchmaker. I, on the other hand, am not a collector and plan to keep this watch forever. So the replacement parts like the dial don't bother me in the least. I am actually appreciative of getting new hands and dial for the stronger lume. That's an important feature for me personally.

Anywho, here's the necessary repairs I have authorized. Not included is the replacement crystal I declined for an additional $180. They said there was a slight scratching on the cyclops that I was never able to detect, so screw it. But I'm sucking it up on the rest of this stuff.
From previous experience, I can't see any advantage what so ever in changing hands or dial in the pursuit of better lume.
You in theory already have Superluminova and that's the last incarnation of the lume for that model.
Being a "P" serial I would've thought the watch originally came with Luminova.
So either the watch is a very late "P" serial with the best lume available, or it has been changed at some point in its previous history.
I think you may be disappointed in the resulting lume on the hands unless you are going from Luminova to Superluminova on the hands.

In summary, I would leave it be as you may already have the ultimate lume available on that model.
Save the money.

You have a stunning watch by the way
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 08:01 AM   #21
ras47
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faz View Post
Thanks for sharing the list and updating the thread, it is useful info for other newbs like myself.

A little steep, but you will end up with a great looking watch freshly serviced by RSC which will add that much more value to it. A good investment in the grand scheme of things. If it were me, I would just pay the additional 12% ($180) and get the crystal updated too.

Can't wait to see the final result.
I figured a baseline for service pricing would be helpful. Yes, this is pricy, but I was expecting at least $700 for service, plus shipping and tax. Everything on that list is reasonable except the dial. I know that's the going rate, but dang!!

As I expect to keep this watch forever, and because I'm not a collector, I don't sweat losing original parts. In fact, since this is a year 2000 watch with an unknown service history, I'm not even sure the current parts are original.
Old 6 September 2017, 08:03 AM   #22
ras47
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
From previous experience, I can't see any advantage what so ever in changing hands or dial in the pursuit of better lume.
You in theory already have Superluminova and that's the last incarnation of the lume for that model.
Being a "P" serial I would've thought the watch originally came with Luminova.
So either the watch is a very late "P" serial with the best lume available, or it has been changed at some point in its previous history.
I think you may be disappointed in the resulting lume on the hands unless you are going from Luminova to Superluminova on the hands.

In summary, I would leave it be as you may already have the ultimate lume available on that model.
Save the money.

You have a stunning watch by the way
The lume on the dial lasts about 20 minutes once charged. The hands last maybe 30 seconds. Tops. Maybe they are replica/aftermarket hands swapped in some time in the past. I've had the watch less than a year.
Old 6 September 2017, 08:12 AM   #23
Jambo86
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-Master II BLNR
Quote:
The lume on the dial lasts about 20 minutes once charged. The hands last maybe 30 seconds. Tops. Maybe they are replica/aftermarket hands swapped in some time in the past. I've had the watch less than a year.
I'm just wondering, that if they were aftermarket parts, would the RSC not have spotted that and mentioned it in the estimate? Or maybe not even quoted an estimate at all.
Jambo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 09:04 AM   #24
ras47
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo86 View Post
I'm just wondering, that if they were aftermarket parts, would the RSC not have spotted that and mentioned it in the estimate? Or maybe not even quoted an estimate at all.

Nah, when they find non-Rolex parts they insist on replacing them immediately to return the watch to 100% Rolex status. Take the new parts, or take the watch back untouched.
Old 6 September 2017, 09:10 AM   #25
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Quote:
Nah, when they find non-Rolex parts they insist on replacing them immediately to return the watch to 100% Rolex status. Take the new parts, or take the watch back untouched.
From probably reading around here I was under the impression RSC frowns upon aftermarket parts (or even service) and as such, will not touch a modified watch! I thought that was the main way of achieving authentication through a service at RSC?

Not that it makes a difference. As you said in your previous post, you want original parts in and don't care about the old ones anyway. But for a year 2000 watch, you should not be so skeptical of the existing parts in it. It is not *that* old.

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 11:05 PM   #26
ras47
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faz View Post
From probably reading around here I was under the impression RSC frowns upon aftermarket parts (or even service) and as such, will not touch a modified watch! I thought that was the main way of achieving authentication through a service at RSC?

Not that it makes a difference. As you said in your previous post, you want original parts in and don't care about the old ones anyway. But for a year 2000 watch, you should not be so skeptical of the existing parts in it. It is not *that* old.

I'd be more confident of the parts of the service history was known. Because I had to fix the bezel spring it seems like the bezel has been removed before I got the watch. It's a big assumption on my part, but the click mechanism is so simple that unless the spring breaks, there is little chance it malfunctioned on its own. And if somebody removed the bezel previously I have to wonder what else was tampered with. Perhaps I'm making too big a leap in logic, but it's been on my mind.
Old 8 September 2017, 01:05 AM   #27
ras47
"TRF" Member

Yesterday I got the confirmation email from RUSA repeating what I told them about the services to which I agreed. So I'm officially in the queue to have the work performed. Another 1-2 weeks to get my GMT back will be rough, but I shall endeavor to persevere.

I'm still a little surprised that a $500 dial replacement was necessary. I suppose, like Apple, Rolex wants to control the user/owner experience. It protects the brand in the long run even it it honks off folks initially. The total bill will be just under $1600, with the dial, general service (needed new seals), and shipping accounting for $1250 of it. I may not like it, but I understand it. It's the price you pay for such an exceptional timepiece lasting you the rest of your life.
Old 8 September 2017, 06:33 AM   #28
ras47
"TRF" Member

Holy smokes! Just got a FedEx notification that my Pepsi is on the way back to me!! Yee-hah!! Should be a couple days now. Nice!!
Old 8 September 2017, 08:48 AM   #29
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
Yesterday I got the confirmation email from RUSA repeating what I told them about the services to which I agreed. So I'm officially in the queue to have the work performed. Another 1-2 weeks to get my GMT back will be rough, but I shall endeavor to persevere.

I'm still a little surprised that a $500 dial replacement was necessary. I suppose, like Apple, Rolex wants to control the user/owner experience. It protects the brand in the long run even it it honks off folks initially. The total bill will be just under $1600, with the dial, general service (needed new seals), and shipping accounting for $1250 of it. I may not like it, but I understand it. It's the price you pay for such an exceptional timepiece lasting you the rest of your life.
Quote:
Holy smokes! Just got a FedEx notification that my Pepsi is on the way back to me!! Yee-hah!! Should be a couple days now. Nice!!
Wow, that was quick! You sure you didn't choose the "Express Service" option?

Post some pics when you get it back!
imperio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 09:49 AM   #30
e dantes
2024 Pledge Member

I am looking forward to finding out how long the lume lasts after the service. I actually use lume but hope to, eventually, pick up a 16710 or 16570.
e dantes is offline   Reply With Quote