The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 7 October 2017, 12:14 PM   #1
Hollywoodvillain
"TRF" Member

Watch: "fat lady" etc etc
5513 experts I need some reassurance on an incoming

It's already bought and I was comfy enough at the price I paid to pull the trigger before coming on here to verify but here are a few pics , bezel insert is definitely wrong , it has a triplock crown installed by Rolex in the 80's , it's on an aftermarket JBJ ? Or J&J ? Lawsuit bracelet and comes with a very stretched 9315 with mis spelled "PATETED" clasp ! I looked T a lot of pics of dials and felt good enough about it but I know there are way more experienced experts here ! As soon as it arrives I'll get better pics and have it opened up to get a look inside but until then , what do you guys think of the dial ! It's a 3.2 serial no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hollywoodvillain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2017, 12:39 PM   #2
waspy1
Banned

I can’t tell anything from the quality of those pics to be honest. I get very wary once I spot an aftermarket part, this has at least 2 that you know of. Add the poor pics and I would have probably walked. Fingers crossed it all checks out when it arrives. Dial does look ok at first glance though.

waspy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2017, 01:16 PM   #3
Sky21
"TRF" Member

Well from these photos provided I would say the most important part of the watch, the dial, looks pretty good. Looks like a non-serif dial without any major issues. Please post lots of clear pics once the watch arrives and everyone will be able to better assess your purchase.
Sky21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2017, 05:48 AM   #4
Hollywoodvillain
"TRF" Member

Anyone else have any thoughts ? I'll have it in my hands by wednesday or Thursday ! I'll get some good pics on here ! I'm paying less than 5 digit ref. SS datejust money for this watch so I figured it was worth the gamble . also comes with a couple bracelets and an extra more modern bezel and insert that are believed to be authentic as well ! I'm going to bring it the local AD and have them remove the back off it to verify movt. if they will !
Old 9 October 2017, 05:53 AM   #5
City74
Banned

Watch: Speedy Reduced
I’m not trying to be rude, but I don’t get people buying something and then coming on a forum to verify it. I would think that if there is a question you would post here first and then buy once satisfied with the answers you get. If it gets sold in the meantime then it wasn’t meant to be. At least that’s how I see it
City74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2017, 07:02 AM   #6
nsxnext
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
And what recourse do you have if it's not genuine or at least not reasonable based on the purchase price? I agree with previous poster, if you bad doubt why would you buy first?
nsxnext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2017, 07:10 AM   #7
Hollywoodvillain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by City74 View Post
I’m not trying to be rude, but I don’t get people buying something and then coming on a forum to verify it. I would think that if there is a question you would post here first and then buy once satisfied with the answers you get. If it gets sold in the meantime then it wasn’t meant to be. At least that’s how I see it

I would tend to agree but at the price I got it for and the fact that I'm 90% sure the case,dial,movt. Etc is right based on my homework I had to pull the trigger before someone else did ! There was no time to post on here and hope I didn't miss out ! That 10% of me that is unsure is bothering me so I hoped I'd get some good feedback to ease my mind ! I paid 2700.00 for a watch that is easily worth much more so I'm not really worried but just hoped for some feedback
Old 9 October 2017, 07:31 AM   #8
City74
Banned

Watch: Speedy Reduced
If you paid $2700 and it’s fake, and you didn’t buy it on eBay or have some kinda of protection then the 10% of you being unsure could cost you $2700. I guess I have never been that head over heels for a deal. If it happens it happens. If not then another one with come around sometime. I’m not gonna risk that sorta money with any uncertainty. Anyways good luck
City74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2017, 09:47 AM   #9
Hollywoodvillain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxnext View Post
And what recourse do you have if it's not genuine or at least not reasonable based on the purchase price? I agree with previous poster, if you bad doubt why would you buy first?
Paying with PayPal so not much recourse really other than a long drawn out process and a mans word ! Seller says money will sit untouched until I have my local AD verify authenticity but if it's a fake then the guys word is useless ! I'm certain enough about it that I took the risk with both eyes open ! Sometimes you just get a vibe and a feeling in your gut and have to ignore the little voice telling you to walk away ! I've been burned and I've scored big on unrelated deals so even if it's a total bust ,which I highly doubt , I'm still way up in life so it's ok !
Old 9 October 2017, 11:46 AM   #10
RC2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675
Dial and hands look good. The patina on the hands are good indication of age. Looks good to me.

Member of Nylon Nation
Red Sox Nation
Instagram watchguy97
RC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2017, 02:15 PM   #11
datejust24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexssss
Insert looks to definitely be aftermarket...though the pics could certainly be better
datejust24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2017, 07:27 PM   #12
Hollywoodvillain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by datejust24 View Post
Insert looks to definitely be aftermarket...though the pics could certainly be better

Insert and bracelet are aftermarket , and supposedly Rolex put a triplock crown in it in the 80's ! Other than that I'm almost sure it original 3.2 serial number stuff !
Old 11 October 2017, 02:19 AM   #13
autumnwind
"TRF" Member

So when you asked the seller what did he say ? If you bought knowing that is what you were getting , then fine. But if there were any attempts to hide it... alarm bells

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
autumnwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2017, 05:44 AM   #14
Hollywoodvillain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnwind View Post
So when you asked the seller what did he say ? If you bought knowing that is what you were getting , then fine. But if there were any attempts to hide it... alarm bells

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Nothing hidden , seller is/was very unaware of what should or shouldn't be on this watch , he was with his dad when he bought the aftermarket bracelet at some multi story jewelry store in Texas and he remembered when the bezel had been swapped but knows nothing more about it , he bought the extra insert and bezel ring for his dad from a local to him jeweler in the late 80's to early 90's but could t remember exactly when ! It's at UPS and I'm picking it up on my way home from work so I'll have better pics and more info this evening !
Old 12 October 2017, 06:03 AM   #15
JnmEaton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18038 Presidential
I just cant help myself, popcorn and subscribed. First order is verification then peal that band off and slap on a NATO or leather.
JnmEaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2017, 07:12 AM   #16
1675-David
"TRF" Member

for 2700 I'd take that risk, I'm not seeing a lot wrong here that would put me off. Whats wrong with the bracelet?

Good luck, looks like a good score
1675-David is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2017, 09:06 PM   #17
Hollywoodvillain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1675-David View Post
for 2700 I'd take that risk, I'm not seeing a lot wrong here that would put me off. Whats wrong with the bracelet?

Good luck, looks like a good score
Bracelet is an old aftermarket JBJ Italian made replica !( included is a badly stretched original 9315 with "PATETED" link ) the aftermarket bracelet is already tossed in the drawer and replaced with NATO (actually a leather ZULU ) And now that it's in my hands I'm 100% sure it's legit case,caseback,dial,hands,and possibly even this watch originally had a triplock crown as well ( although I know this was swapped in the 80's but it may have replaced an original triplock ) it has a non hacking movement ( 1520 ?? ). Going to have the back removed tonight to verify movement!
Old 12 October 2017, 09:18 PM   #18
Hollywoodvillain
"TRF" Member

I put it on a leather ZULU this morning , pretty good deal I got here ! Matte non serif dial and matching hands , decently thick case and lugs , clean visible serial number (3.2 mil) and 5513 visible between opposite lugs , it's got a non hacking movement in it that I will have verified this evening ( thinking 1520 ) ! Only major concern is getting the correct insert in it ASAP !

So hard to get a good pic of this dial with the acrylic crystal but it's very crisp and lume plots are perfect as are the hands ! Second hand tritium is slightly darker that the rest but It looks great !

Old 12 October 2017, 11:54 PM   #19
1675-David
"TRF" Member

looks good!! well done! Send that 9315 bracelet to MY and source a period insert and you are laughing!!
1675-David is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 02:07 AM   #20
bearjere21
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1982 GMT16750
let me know if you want to sell that watch for what you paid! I'm cash ready!

great buy OP!
bearjere21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 10:29 AM   #21
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

good steal - agree with the others here.

aftermarket insert but that crown looks like a 702 not 703 - worth checking again.
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 11:33 PM   #22
Hollywoodvillain
"TRF" Member

Little better pic

Old 19 October 2017, 01:38 AM   #23
Hollywoodvillain
"TRF" Member

So glad I didn't hesitate to pull the trigger on this ! This ones a keeper for life ! Still on the hunt for nice matching MK II or MK III insert at a reasonable price !