The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 October 2017, 07:51 AM   #1
Dan2394
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 124060
Rolex Submariner 16610 Links

Hi,

I am looking to purchase my first Rolex. The Submariner 16610 is my top choice at the moment.
I have a few questions I was hoping someone could help me with.

- I have read about the solid end links, which years of 16610 have the solid end links?
- Do all 16610 have hollow mid links or did they change to solid after a certain year?
- Many of the 16610 I have seen are similar prices to a brand new 116610, is this a more sensible option than buying a brand new?
- I wanted to purchase a watch with box and papers, some of the watches come with a manual as well. Is this important or are the box and papers the most important items?

Any help or advise you could give me would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
Dan2394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2017, 10:18 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Solid end links started around 2000 on the Sub Date.

All 16610 with the 93150 or 93250 bracelets have "hollow" center links. However, the later so-called "solid" centers are not really solid, they simply have a couple of connecting webs around the screw-bar holes.

Prices are what they are. Older and "vintage" Rolex can cost quite a bit more than a new one, depending on the reference in question.

The most important item is the watch.
Old 25 October 2017, 10:36 AM   #3
Watchgeek5000
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Solid end links began late "A" serial number 1999 or so.
Papers are the most important in the set, but remember.... They are just expired warranties. A box and books could always be found separate if needed. Let the condition of the watch dictate your decision, I'd rather have a clean non polished/none stretched bracelet watch without papers than an over polished example with a bracelet that has stretch that has papers. When looking for these older examples, condition is key!
Watchgeek5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2017, 11:18 AM   #4
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchgeek5000 View Post
Solid end links began late "A" serial number 1999 or so.
Papers are the most important in the set, but remember.... They are just expired warranties. A box and books could always be found separate if needed. Let the condition of the watch dictate your decision, I'd rather have a clean non polished/none stretched bracelet watch without papers than an over polished example with a bracelet that has stretch that has papers. When looking for these older examples, condition is key!
+1. Full sets are nice, but the condition of the watch is far more important. If you can find a mint condition full set at a fair price, that's fantastic. But if I had to choose one or the other, I'd absolutely opt for the mint example and forego the other stuff that just stays in the closet.
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2017, 06:28 AM   #5
Dan2394
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 124060
Thanks very much for the replies.
I’ve found a pre-owned 16610 with box, papers & manual says it’s in 1 mint condition for £750 less than a brand new 116610. Would you say the pre-owned submariner is a better purchase as it shouldn’t lose money? Or are there any reasons why the new model is a better buy? I think prefer the small/thinner looks of the 16610.
Thanks again for your help & advise.
Dan2394 is offline   Reply With Quote