The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 October 2017, 01:38 AM   #1
ALF61
"TRF" Member

Who Will Buy Rolex 30 Years From Now ?

Lately I see all the young crop 20-30 years old hung up on high tech watches from Garmin, Google, some of them have the money for a Rolex but could careless about an old fashioned "timeless" timepiece. High tech is the name of the game. I am just concerned if us old farts will be stuck with a bunch of expensive watches with no one to buy them one of these days. When I was 20, I used to crave for a Rolex and as soon as I had the money for one I bought it. Good thing too, that GMT MAster II Coke is now worth about five times as much.
ALF61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 01:42 AM   #2
jpjsavage
"TRF" Member

Definitely not. I know loads of young people who love mechanical watches as well as their latest tech. Having said that, I would never buy a watch as an investment only. Buy to wear and enjoy and possibly sell in the future if needs be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jpjsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 01:45 AM   #3
Simon_e
"TRF" Member

I have thought the same. I wanted a Rolex from when I was 13 and I bought one at 20 years old. I am now 42 and own many Rolex but so many people don't wear a watch now, they have a phone so don't need one. Will my collection have no buyers when I retire.......i do wonder.
Old 26 October 2017, 01:53 AM   #4
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Probably not many people ... I doubt if the brand still exists in 30 years
Old 26 October 2017, 01:57 AM   #5
jackjack305
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Probably not many people ... I doubt if the brand still exists in 30 years
IMO, they could definitely still exist and continue to strive if their marketing plan is good, it's all in the marketing.
jackjack305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 01:57 AM   #6
Bruins7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex(4),15400
I have an Apple watch use it for fitness as I workout quite frequently. It never will replace a mechanical watch to me. I appreciate the artistry and craftsmanship that goes into each watch rolex makes. Something about the ticking and the multitude of parts working in unison to produce the time/ date/ other complications depending on your watch is something magical to me. I buy what I enjoy.
Bruins7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 02:02 AM   #7
doubles08
"TRF" Member

I'm a millennial and I wouldn't be caught dead in my sweat drenched Garmin. It's Rolex rain, hail, or shine, just not at the gym.
doubles08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 02:04 AM   #8
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
many people will -- perhaps more since the world will be so automated and disposable, people will want something personal and lifelong.

its up to places like this and people like us to share the hobby and passion. that's why we're allowed to do what we do within limits. brands need genuine brand ambassadors in somedia and in the traditional sense.

and i never liked rolex but my parents did -- that's all it took to get me into watches and from there, we're here.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 02:08 AM   #9
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

For nothing more than the young kids are even more superficial with endless selfies of trivial activities and the “image is everything” mentality, luxury goods will always be in style at that level. As mentioned, quality goods will always appeal to those that recognize and appreciate it.
Old 26 October 2017, 02:13 AM   #10
tommy91
"TRF" Member

I am relatively young at 26 and always wanted a rolex from 16. I know many people similar to me who don't care for high tech gadgets. I don't see rolex going anywhere and buyers I don't see decreasing either. My brother is now 17 and wants a rolex so bad he doesn't care for Apple Watch or similar.
tommy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 02:18 AM   #11
Forum-Dweller
Banned

History tends to repeat itself. Get ready for quartz crisis 2.0. Our current watches will come out at the other end of this event with a hefty collector's premium :)
Forum-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 02:20 AM   #12
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I think there will always be a place for mechanical watches.

One things for sure, though, thirty years from now, I won't be buying any.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 02:25 AM   #13
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Rolex watches will probably be even more desirable and definitely more expensive in 20-30 years from now. The collectibility alone of current models (that will have become obsolete by then) is guaranteed and guaranteed are their high premiums also. Look at the prices of 1675s, 1680s and even 16610LVs. If you buy smart you will even yield a good return or if you do not sell you will possess a high value collectible watch.
As for future models i do not see why a company like Rolex will face any problems whatsoever. They play it safe, they do not over-produce, they make fantastic watches and they know how to create demand for their products.

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 02:25 AM   #14
nawarra
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5170P
There is a chance that in 30 years you won't be able to live without something like Apple Watch. It will monitor your health, start your car, replace your drivers license etc...
nawarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 02:32 AM   #15
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Not to foolishly compare Fossil to Rolex, but I think Fossil has got the right idea blending tech features into seemingly ordinary wristwatches. Already, I struggle with "which watch do I need to wear today?" Eventually, my opinion is that some adaptation by Rolex will have to be made, lest the brand becomes strictly jewelry and a niche subculture (if it isn't already, and that is fine).
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 02:33 AM   #16
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Buying luxury jewelry in 30 years will likely be very low on my list of concerns.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 02:39 AM   #17
BristolCavendish
Banned

Another consideration will be the price of a Rolex in relation to other cost-of-living factors 30 years from now. Back in the 1970s, a 4-digit SS sports model (GMT/Submariner/Explorer II) at $400.00 was reasonably affordable and attainable for those who really wanted one. Flash forward to today (2017) and we're talking about an $8-10K out of pocket expense.

A lot will depend on disposable income factors and a continued interest in 'old-school' watch technology.
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 02:40 AM   #18
rudestew
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD SD43 Mk1 50TH
Think about the throw away society we live in , tech unpgrades latest cell phones , laptops and how and where the items are made . I would say a mechanical watch will be a true luxury item in 30 years as cars will not be mechanical in fact what will be ?
rudestew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 02:43 AM   #19
Pharaoh_83
"TRF" Member

I think that as there is a use for digital wear and it will be around for a while. It'll be interesting to see how people feel about them 5 years from now when they would've replaced them 2 or 3 times over
Pharaoh_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 02:49 AM   #20
wildcat465
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118206
Regardless of the technology that develops, I believe that many will continue to feel nostalgic about mechanical watches...particularly those brands with great names like Rolex. I'm 50 and don't believe that I'll ever be seriously interested in anything like an Apple or Andriod watch...not sure I want to be that connected.
wildcat465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 02:54 AM   #21
Gravity
"TRF" Member

Let's be honest, Rolex is a status / image brand and we all well know it has nothing to do with telling time. Of course there is are mechanical and craftsmanship elements but it's basically functional jewelry. Our phones and digital watches basically have atomic clock accuracy, never need to be set and can give you all time zones, dates ect ect. There's a good reason Apple stopped selling $12k rose gold watches, they just weren't selling and were basically paperweights after a year when a new model came out. They are both in their own distinct categories, bought for completely different reasons and I don't see those reasons or needs changing at all until an extinction level event where we are no longer here and all the watch metal and every other element including the iron in our blood is returned back to where it came in the universe ;)
Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 02:58 AM   #22
winger14
"TRF" Member

From my late teens I always wanted a Rolex (without really knowing anything about them apart from I liked the look of the coke and pepsi GMT) but never thought i'd be in a position to justify buying one. When I turned 30, I started being able to afford better (better than the G shocks I loved) watches and got a Breitling and an entry level Tag. When smart watches (ie the apple watch) became mainstream I wanted one but I just didn't like the look of the apple watch. I got an 'luxury' smart watch (Tag Connected) and initially loved it and thought I'd never wear a 'proper' watch again, bar special occasions. At the age of 32, I found myself in a position where I could afford a Rolex and the itch came back. Since buying my first Rolex (and quickly my second), I have barely worn my smart watch - it only gets worn when I'm working out or when I know I'll be doing something where I don't want to be wearing an expensive watch. I think there will always be a desire for decent swiss watches - particularly luxury ones. I feel entry level Swiss brands (for want of a better phrase) brands might be in trouble but not Rolex.
winger14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 02:58 AM   #23
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

The Garmins, Apple Watch, Withings, or any other trendy (charge me daily) model watches will last 1-2 years. They will be replaced and forgotten in the ever lasting circle. Good mechanical watches will last centuries...

And if not, I do not really care as long as I got to enjoy them.
polaris72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 03:01 AM   #24
SamP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680/8 & '88 16528
Quartz watches have just come out - it's the end of the world as we know it. Switzerland will crumble.
Wait, sorry that was decades ago.
Get the picture?
A sudden case of deja vu. Life is cyclical.
SamP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 03:04 AM   #25
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
Are you guys just worrying about selling your collections one day?

I'm not sure what the future holds. I just like wearing my watches...
sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 03:06 AM   #26
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

High end watches is the craze here in tech. Comes bonus season most of my coworkers go watch shopping, and Rolex (sometimes JLC) is the #1 brand for the uninitiated as their first "nice watch".

Then comes round 2, these guys start looking at ALS and Patek. Definitely don't see this trend going away.

Just like how Swatch/Fossil changed the perception of a timekeeping device to fashion accessory -- nice mechanical watches is perceived here as a sign of class and fine taste.

You'd be surprised at how many wrist glances you get from the ladies while sitting at a SF bar, people do notice.

Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 03:07 AM   #27
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity View Post
Let's be honest, Rolex is a status / image brand and we all well know it has nothing to do with telling time.
Thank you for saying it.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 03:11 AM   #28
Uhtred59
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
40 years ago, you could pay a ton of money for a quartz digital that is worth nothing today. Had you purchased a corvette or Porsche and maintained it that is a different story. Same for a Rolex, though crystal balls are difficult to read sometimes.
Old 26 October 2017, 03:15 AM   #29
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
Our sons and daughters if we instill in them the passion for watches. I've started showing my collection to my 4 yrs old boy, my 1 year old girl will follow. The elder’s favourite piece so far is the Yacht-Master plat dial, good boy.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 03:24 AM   #30
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
I just turned 32 and have had a Rolex(s) or IWC since my early 20's. I have friends, both a little older and much younger, that have at least one Rolex.
On the other hand, I think I've actually seen more Apple watches on people older than me...

Tags
digital watches , future