The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 October 2017, 03:20 AM   #1
Hulley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Dumb questions on the GMT II

Hello TRF,

Please forgive the dumb questions as I'm still somewhat new! I'm looking for my next Rolex and am leaning heavily towards a 16710 Coke or Pepsi. It looks like there are a couple different movements that I know of, 3175, 3185 or 3186? Is one more desirable or reliable/better than the other or does it really make a difference? It seems the 3186 equipped models go for more money than the other.

As someone who would buy the watch to actually wear and enjoy, does it matter what movement is inside?

Thank you!
Hulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2017, 03:25 AM   #2
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
http://www.gmtmasterhistory.com/gmt-...ref_16710.html
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2017, 03:26 AM   #3
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
I have had all three over the years. Slight difference in the way the quickset and 24 hour hand set between the 3175 and 3185. I never had any issues with any of the 3 movements. 3186 usually commands a premium in price. If I was shopping for a 16710, condition would be more important to me than the movement it contained.

Here is a link to a nice little web page for GMT's
http://www.gmtmasterhistory.com/
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2017, 03:26 AM   #4
Forum-Dweller
Banned

3186 is just a waste of time for the 5-digits. If they claim it's a 3186, then that means they opened up the caseback and I just have trust issues when sellers do that.
Forum-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2017, 03:26 AM   #5
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgjr View Post
LOL, I was too slow....
Old 27 October 2017, 03:30 AM   #6
Hulley
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the link! Checking it out now.
Old 27 October 2017, 03:31 AM   #7
Hulley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptopman View Post
I have had all three over the years. Slight difference in the way the quickset and 24 hour hand set between the 3175 and 3185. I never had any issues with any of the 3 movements. 3186 usually commands a premium in price. If I was shopping for a 16710, condition would be more important to me than the movement it contained.

Here is a link to a nice little web page for GMT's
http://www.gmtmasterhistory.com/
Very good to know, thank you. I'm wanting to find one in excellent condition with box/docs. May be a little hard to find but I've got time!
Old 27 October 2017, 03:32 AM   #8
WS9D
"TRF" Member

Watch: es..More Watches!
The 16710 with 3186 movement is grossly overpriced. I have a GMT2c with the 3186 and a 16710 with the 3185 and don't see a difference. There are less 16710 with the 3186 so collectors are wowing over them and paying ridiculous prices.

If you're looking for a fine watch to own and enjoy for many years, there is nothing wrong with the trusted 3185.

If you are into changing straps, bracelets, and rubber, or think you might be into that in the future, you may want to track down a 16710 with SELs and lug holes. I think they are P or K series (someone please correct me as I think im off with that). I have a D serial no lug holes and love it. I just use painters tape on the back to prevent scratches.

You can't go wrong with a 16710. Such an amazing watch. There have been times where I have though of selling it, then i promptly slap myself in the face for thinking such blasphemy.
WS9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2017, 03:37 AM   #9
Hulley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ks6pd View Post
The 16710 with 3186 movement is grossly overpriced. I have a GMT2c with the 3186 and a 16710 with the 3185 and don't see a difference. There are less 16710 with the 3186 so collectors are wowing over them and paying ridiculous prices.

If you're looking for a fine watch to own and enjoy for many years, there is nothing wrong with the trusted 3185.

If you are into changing straps, bracelets, and rubber, or think you might be into that in the future, you may want to track down a 16710 with SELs and lug holes. I think they are P or K series (someone please correct me as I think im off with that). I have a D serial no lug holes and love it. I just use painters tape on the back to prevent scratches.

You can't go wrong with a 16710. Such an amazing watch. There have been times where I have though of selling it, then i promptly slap myself in the face for thinking such blasphemy.
Thank you, the 16710 is such a good lookin watch and I really like how I can change the bezel for a different look. I love my SubC but a little color would be nice.
Old 27 October 2017, 03:39 AM   #10
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Very much agree with this. P serial is a nice option with SEL and lug holes.
Old 27 October 2017, 04:03 AM   #11
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
Quote:
Same thing with those "stick dial" GMT2's. Collectors - who can figure out that whacky lot?