The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 November 2017, 03:25 AM   #31
Bruins7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex(4),15400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzz View Post
If something is important to you then you will wait for the piece.

I think we are getting a little guilty of expecting everything to magically appear on our wrist when we want it (myself included).

Personally I have gone through so many watches I forgot how special it is to want something and be willing to wait for it.

Sometimes I feel like the desire to own every new piece that comes out is killing my appreciation for the pieces that I own or the ones I should have kept.

If the SS Daytona is your desire just wait for it and you will appreciate it more than getting something you do not really want anyways.
Couldn't have put it any better. I am guilty of this
Bruins7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2017, 08:16 PM   #32
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
Wow! Thanks everybody!!

It is reassuring to know we are all looking for balance and enjoyment of our current and future collection.

When I first joined TRF the passion of models currently owned by members was very uplifting and enjoyable.

Somewhere over the last few years I forgot what was important to me so I am working hard on restoring that missing passion.

With any luck the future will have me concentrating on the brand and not the model variation.
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2017, 08:42 PM   #33
amg55
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
I've gone for the WG Daytona, for a fraction more than what DaytonaC is going for in the grey market. I couldn't be happier !
amg55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2017, 11:37 PM   #34
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
For many (as Steve has said above) its about wanting what you can't have.

I've always admired the TT Daytona with the blue racing dial. Tried on a 2015 model yesterday with the old stlye bezel. I really liked it (admitted I prefer the current bezel style) but it felt almost inconsequential on my wrist compared to the RG Daytona on leather that I used to have.

Beautiful as it was, I was left a little "meh". Its probably why I've never even considered getting on a "list" for one. I'm not knocking the D500 in any way shape or form but if you can get a mint PM Daytona for not much more than a gray market D500, you'd be crazy not to at least give the PM option very serious consideration.

I'd also be interested to know how many D500 owners gain more pleasure from the hype surrounding their aquisition than the actual watch itself?
Yes, I can fathom the hype resulting in a £2/3K premium but the extra immensity of hype that yields £5/6K is just far too much for this watch.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2017, 02:18 AM   #35
behardt
"TRF" Member

After owning the RG Yachtmaster w/ OF, I would do the RG or WG Daytona w/ OF instead of SS bracelet model any day of the week.
Old 11 November 2017, 03:23 AM   #36
gav329
"TRF" Member

Tired of the games and people pushing prices up but only WG for me don’t like the other golds. The SS demand has started a stupid game with local AD’s of putting ridiculous high prices on all second hand Rolex models it’s very annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gav329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2017, 06:04 AM   #37
whysleep
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV/SD4000
I kinda prefer the oyster flex Gold Daytona's. I handled them at an AD and I love the way they look and feel.
whysleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2017, 06:06 AM   #38
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I actually am realizing more and more I think I'm just not a Daytona guy. Period.

But...I think I would def go the PM route before paying a similar amount for a steel watch.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2017, 09:09 AM   #39
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

I really think Rolex have to raise prices on this watch, just keeping supply very low is not clearing the grey market at all. I can understand for the first year you get all the impatient rich guys and die hard fans willing to pay a large premium but surely now there can be no more of them left, just very frustrated buyers who have given up waiting, and very patient greys who are happy to wait a few more weeks/months to sell rather than lower prices. Come on, Rolex, look at the market.
Old 11 November 2017, 09:20 AM   #40
Sarosh
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I really think Rolex have to raise prices on this watch, just keeping supply very low is not clearing the grey market at all. I can understand for the first year you get all the impatient rich guys and die hard fans willing to pay a large premium but surely now there can be no more of them left, just very frustrated buyers who have given up waiting, and very patient greys who are happy to wait a few more weeks/months to sell rather than lower prices. Come on, Rolex, look at the market.
Well said Neil, BUT that old adage, if it ain't broke don't fix it, comes to mind. Let's all be frank and honest. Rolex know exactly what goes on in the grey market and they know exactly what they're doing themselves. There's a reason why they're the most famous and recognisable brand in this industry.

Frustrating for us who want to own their sports watches......and can't. Grey deals must be swimming in pools of cash. LOL
Sarosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2017, 09:23 AM   #41
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarosh View Post
Well said Neil, BUT that old adage, if it ain't broke don't fix it, comes to mind. Let's all be frank and honest. Rolex know exactly what goes on in the grey market and they know exactly what they're doing themselves. There's a reason why they're the most famous and recognisable brand in this industry.

Frustrating for us who want to own their sports watches......and can't. Grey deals must be swimming in pools of cash. LOL
They were cool with this on the Daytona, new and old model, but now it is affecting the way they think of the other SS models and suddenly they have such an aversion to greys making all this money that they have told ADs they won't supply until next year and now we have Spring mentioned and then that leads into summer and guess what... welcome to the UK. We were the prototype? Just insane.
Old 11 November 2017, 09:25 AM   #42
Sarosh
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Lol indeed. Production issues? Possibly, but I sense they're trying to cut the head off the dragon. As long as there are people willing to overspend by paying the grey prices it will continue....
Sarosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2017, 09:27 AM   #43
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Feel bad for the people that waited to jump on the Daytona train....if it was me personally today I'd spend a bit more and buy the PM. If I must have the stainless, I'd just pay the premium instead of posting about it nonstop on the forums because it won't change a thing, bottom line the demand is high enough and people are paying the 17-20k price tag so if it's too much for you, there's plenty of other buyers.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2017, 10:23 AM   #44
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
Feel bad for the people that waited to jump on the Daytona train....if it was me personally today I'd spend a bit more and buy the PM. If I must have the stainless, I'd just pay the premium instead of posting about it nonstop on the forums because it won't change a thing, bottom line the demand is high enough and people are paying the 17-20k price tag so if it's too much for you, there's plenty of other buyers.
Tough love
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 05:40 AM   #45
HubbleNox
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
I'm wondering how much the grey market helps push the PM market. Nomsayin'?
HubbleNox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2017, 12:46 PM   #46
datejustrms
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
I’ve had Daytonas in the past. I’ve been waiting for a 116500 now for 7 months and don’t expect it for another 7months. The only other Daytona upgrade I’d consider is the platinum 116506 but that’s a whole ‘nother thread. Besides I’ve been waiting for my Broncos NFL season tickets for 11 years now - about half way there now.
The way the Broncos have been playing this season you may start moving up that season ticket list.
datejustrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2017, 12:58 PM   #47
Chute
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6 digit Rolex+APRO
I’d look for an older 116520, they can still be found for about what you’d pay retail for the 116500. The 520’s will get rarer to find while the 500’s will become more abundant. At some point you could probably trade the older for the newer. I wouldn’t doubt if you could trade a 16520 for a 116500 and walk away with some cash. The PM models just don’t do well in the long run. You can currently get a PM 16528 for less than a 16520
Chute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2017, 01:39 PM   #48
gabbysplace
2024 Pledge Member

The wait. It’s part of the hunt, and the fun of this whole thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gabbysplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2017, 03:39 PM   #49
Bagman
Banned

Watch: Rolex Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by winger14 View Post
I've toyed with the idea of getting a TT daytona and putting it on a black rubber strap.

Me too

Richard B
36mm datejust, Custom Explorer, Pepsi, Hulk, yellow gold dd2
Bagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2017, 05:32 PM   #50
mahefa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Islandboy View Post
The Daytona has never grabbed me strongly enough to consider buying one, but i recently tried the WG OF and really liked it.

Like you, it will be “on the list” for serious consideration at a price around 20k

That one looks so good on your wrist!
♛Deepsea Blue -17 ♛ Deepsea Blue -19 ♛Deepsea Black ♛Explorer I ♛Explorer II ♛ Explorer 1 ♛GMT-Master II BLNR ♛ Sky-Dweller Blue ♛ Sky-Dweller Black ♛ AirKing ♛ Day-Date 40 Platinum ♛ Daytona C White ♛ Submariner LVc ♛ Two-Tone Submariner ♛ Day-Date 36 ♛ Datejust 41 grey ♛
mahefa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2017, 06:17 PM   #51
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahefa View Post
That one looks so good on your wrist!
Thanks! I’m a bit surprised not to see more of these incoming around here
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2017, 08:35 AM   #52
whysleep
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV/SD4000
I now perfer the white gold oysterflex vs the SS daytona.
whysleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2017, 08:38 AM   #53
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
I find the Daytona a tad small for my 7 3/4" wrists, but if I were to get one it would be this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg daytona_white_dial_black_ring_1_.jpg (122.0 KB, 169 views)
Old 25 November 2017, 08:44 AM   #54
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Old 25 November 2017, 08:46 AM   #55
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ras47 View Post
I find the Daytona a tad small for my 7 3/4" wrists, but if I were to get one it would be this:
That bezel looks dodgy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Islandboy View Post
Thanks! I’m a bit surprised not to see more of these incoming around here
Not many coming to UK, so maybe due more to low supply.
Old 13 December 2017, 03:10 AM   #56
HubbleNox
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Well, went to my AD and tried on a 116518 and 116519. Both look good and I think I am over the 116500. Now if only my AD and I could work out a deal...
HubbleNox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2017, 03:19 AM   #57
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleNox View Post
Well, went to my AD and tried on a 116518 and 116519. Both look good and I think I am over the 116500. Now if only my AD and I could work out a deal...
What discount is he offering?
Old 13 December 2017, 03:33 AM   #58
10klakes
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector
PM seems to be Rolex's clever way of competing with the demand and profit margin of the gray market SS prices. If they offer something just a notch above what the SS gray market prices are at with an actual benefit (PM), it gives people a choice with some actual value to bump up.

Personally I can't stand TT models. My opinion is probably not popular on this topic or thread, but TT to me is tacky. It reminds of the Skilo song "I Wish".
10klakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2017, 03:38 AM   #59
stylinleems
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleNox View Post
Which AD in Ontario has the 116519?
stylinleems is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2017, 03:38 AM   #60
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
Honestly, outside of this TRF group, no one would know I had a "hard to get" Daytona (if I had the SS one) other than if I walked into a jewelry store. We think this knowledge and excitement is mainstream, but it really isn't.

The one buddy who noticed my watch in the ~year I've had it asked to see it. I handed it to him and he looked at it, complimented me on it, and handed it back. I am sure he didn't notice the extra pound of weight and think, "That must be platinum." And of course I didn't say anything.

My point? I doubt you would impress many people outside this forum with a hot Daytona, as most wouldn't even notice you are wearing a watch. Buy stuff for yourself!
^^^ Very true^^^ To the outside world, "Its a Rolex" and thats all they know. $8k or $28k is just a minor detail only you get to know.