The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 November 2017, 07:25 PM   #31
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBay View Post
Thanks for the valuable comments.

What I still don't understand is if you go for an overall case service, will Rolex remove the brushed surface on the lugs and re-do it? Even while these show almost no marks?
They will just go over it with the same finish. to freshen it up.

They will not remove then replace the original finish. It's too much work for absolutely no benefit.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 09:46 PM   #32
BlackBay
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all your comments. Well.. I'm going to RSC Koln anyway, I told my gf we're going to Koln for a romantic [Christmas] weekend so a quick informative visit to RSC wouldn't do any harm. I will let you know my experience.

Meanwhile I'll continue wearing my Sub till it stops running, I think. Right now there's little need for a service. Rolex A'dam said I can postpone the service by another 2 year movement wise. He quickly looked inside. Funny... they claim every 6 years themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
You contacted the right place, the RSC in Koln.
These guys are very good and really don't grind your watch down.
I don't think there is a better place in the EU to sent your watch in.
Part of a regular service is refinishing the case and bracelet.

In Amsterdam there is no RSC, only shops with Rolex trained watchmakers. That is not the same. Not saying that it is no good but why risk anything at all if you can easily go to Rolex yourself in Koln instead of going to Gassan or S&C.
Prices are very similar, no benefit there.
The watchmaker you spoke to did give you sound advice
Thanks mate!! I appreciate your comment. Good2know.
BlackBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 10:06 AM   #33
lwrm23
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBay View Post
Ah man.. it's annoying me every day. Especially when the whole watch is mint.

@THerzl: True. But and I'm afraid the 16610 is a difficult brush to touch up because of the characteristic lines and I think you cannot just pep up that pattern without sanding it down to 0 and re-apply it. This seems much easier on the 116610 as this brush is very consistent and even.

116610 brush seems much simpler to touch up.
Im guessing the ceramic sub has been polished in this pic?
lwrm23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 06:00 PM   #34
THerzl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwrm23 View Post
Im guessing the ceramic sub has been polished in this pic?

Why you guess so? What I meant is that the 116610 has a somewhat easier/simpler brush than the classic 16610. I imagine one can simply hold it against the brushing machine and it's done.

Whereas the 16610 brush seem more complicated to do.

Anyone who can say something about that?
THerzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 08:45 PM   #35
BlackBay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
They will just go over it with the same finish. to freshen it up.

They will not remove then replace the original finish. It's too much work for absolutely no benefit.

That's all what I wanted to know. I have NO problem if they fresh up the existing finish.

I'd have a problem if they grind down a 75% fresh lug to 0%, in order to go all the way back to 100%. As in remove and re-apply... This would victimize lots of healthy material for just a few buffs.

I just don't know if it's technical possible to fresh up as 16610 brush follows certain lines / pattern.
Old 12 December 2017, 08:53 PM   #36
Spoonage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I would personally leave it. It may be the first, but it won’t be the last on a watch that you will keep for many many years. Either wait until it needs a full service and lightly polish then or (my preference) just leave it and it’ll tell the stories of where you’ve been and what you’ve done. You should see my watches and the scratches, dents, gouges, etc... Heck, you should see my wife’s DJ... She had an “Oh Sh!t” moment last month and dropped her DJ in a pile of rocks while we were on vacation... When she gifts it to our daughter years down the road, it’ll be a good story of our first overseas vacation as a family.
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 09:31 PM   #37
BlackBay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonage View Post
I would personally leave it. It may be the first, but it won’t be the last on a watch that you will keep for many many years. Either wait until it needs a full service and lightly polish then or (my preference) just leave it and it’ll tell the stories of where you’ve been and what you’ve done. You should see my watches and the scratches, dents, gouges, etc... Heck, you should see my wife’s DJ... She had an “Oh Sh!t” moment last month and dropped her DJ in a pile of rocks while we were on vacation... When she gifts it to our daughter years down the road, it’ll be a good story of our first overseas vacation as a family.

Fair enough. But this ding has no nice story as I just fucked up by taking off the bezel to clean. Also the dent isn't that deep, so a light polish will me enough.

It's just that I am afraid they will go crazy when polishing the watch. Especially the lugs. I want to maintain the sharp edges that are still present.

Hopefully they can just do light polish and then address this dent specifically. It doesn't need to be gone entirely in order to preserve the edges.

Also the dent is more a scrape, it's not that there's a chunk missing.. you really need to look closely to see it.
Old 13 December 2017, 02:57 AM   #38
WhiskyVerb
Banned

Watch: 214270, Speedy Pro
Let it go please. As soon as you get it polished, it will acquire another ding.

When I was 10, Dad bought me a Boy Scout knife. The Logo was pivoted slightly off center. He said, "You'll always know it's yours." And the unintended positive consequence that settled in years later is to appreciate imperfections. Now, I don't go looking for imperfect items, but slight imperfections don't really bother me. Hopefully you can laugh at yourself for this - something along the lines of "I love my watch so much that I almost loved it to death."

Another story. I bought a brand new SUV. On the second day, someone gave me a door ding. It was annoying (and not my fault), but I just shrugged it off as one less thing to worry about (first door ding).

To this day, I still have that Boy Scout Pocket Knife. And I cherish the lesson.
WhiskyVerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2017, 03:30 AM   #39
hyperdrive99
"TRF" Member

I am with you! Those little dings drive me nuts also. Unfortunately I have a couple of them on my watches.
hyperdrive99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2017, 03:40 AM   #40
Leeq
"TRF" Member

I always thought that scratches and dings as long as not in the crystal gave character to the watch.
Leeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 07:37 PM   #41
THerzl
"TRF" Member

Does anyone have an idea how much RSC charge to replace bezel+insert???
THerzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 07:41 AM   #42
XrayHiro
"TRF" Member

100% fully understand what your going through.
Mine is a scratch on the ceramic bezel 6 month after purchase and was pretty much ready to swap it for a new one. Got as far as fronting up to the RSC too. A lot of mental battles was fought and heres a summary after reading all aspects of this forum plus more:

1. The watch is not truly yours until you make the first ding/scratch.
2. A Rolex without scratches and dings are not worn by real men.
3. NO ONE notices the scratch other from you.
4. It is IMPOSSIBLE to keep it scratch free / ding free.
5. Each ding / scratch adds character to your watch.
6. Every polish takes aways the originality of the watch.

All very true statements, hope this helps.
XrayHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 07:47 AM   #43
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by XrayHiro View Post
100% fully understand what your going through.
Mine is a scratch on the ceramic bezel 6 month after purchase and was pretty much ready to swap it for a new one. Got as far as fronting up to the RSC too. A lot of mental battles was fought and heres a summary after reading all aspects of this forum plus more:

1. The watch is not truly yours until you make the first ding/scratch.
2. A Rolex without scratches and dings are not worn by real men.
3. NO ONE notices the scratch other from you.
4. It is IMPOSSIBLE to keep it scratch free / ding free.
5. Each ding / scratch adds character to your watch.
6. Every polish takes aways the originality of the watch.

All very true statements, hope this helps.
Actually, I would say those are all very subjective statements.....except perhaps #4. They are all statements that have been made by various forum members at various times, but not necessarily true.
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 07:58 AM   #44
XrayHiro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgjr View Post
Actually, I would say those are all very subjective statements.....except perhaps #4. They are all statements that have been made by various forum members at various times, but not necessarily true.
Appreciate that.

I should of rephrased it as that these were the comments from the forum that resonated with me.

I backed off from replacing the bezel because I wanted to keep the watch original.
Old 15 December 2017, 08:04 AM   #45
XrayHiro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THerzl View Post
Does anyone have an idea how much RSC charge to replace bezel+insert???
I've got the price in AUD and for Ceramic

Ceramic insert only : $500 AUD
Ceramic insert + bezel : $600 AUD (no joke, i double checked this when RSC told me the price).
Old 15 December 2017, 08:10 AM   #46
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Oh hell...flip it for a BNIB.

I agree with the others, sounds like it just needs a regulation at this stage. Good luck,
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 08:11 AM   #47
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
It's a watch, just wear it and enjoy it.
gtnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2017, 03:17 AM   #48
syedtalibagha
"TRF" Member

Hello there, mine had a bigger dent at 4 o clock position, i will upload the pictures soon. I sent the watch to Geneva and had Rolex laser weld it for me. The repair set me back by 670 USD, but i am satisfied that i got this done as this dent was bothersome, more so as the watch was just a year old and i have no clue how that dent happened. I have been in your position and can relate to how you feel about the dent, my suggestion get it done at rolex. cheers
syedtalibagha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2017, 05:22 AM   #49
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
Icon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbyman View Post
I'd leave it this will leave more metal on the watch should anything else or worse happen and you will still have the original finish.

I bought a 16610 nos from 2010 and have a couple of marks but would not dream of getting it polished.
Smart thinking!

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote