The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 December 2017, 09:30 AM   #271
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
More from a CID an hour ago - I wasn’t able to visit them today because all were on the street in pursuit of other members of this crew. It is possible that the ones who broke into my home were just one part of a larger group.

The male perpetrator who muscles his way into doors/windows was apprehended last night. I couldn’t share details yesterday at the time they called but now it’s OK to share this news.

The female accomplice (an 8 1/2 mo expectant mother) is still at large. She was the puppet who would case homes to determine which ones were unoccupied during the workday when homeowners are away.

I can’t imagine the life this as yet unborn child will face unless she gets help and turns her life around. Sad segue to this side of the story...I can’t change the outcome but can say a prayer she will see the light if not for her own redemption but for this forthcoming baby (per Police her due date is near the 25th)

How do they know? Apparently she was ID’d when her face was on the local news due to a video doorbell pic at another victim’s home. Her parents provided the details. Now the CID is still seeking her - but eventually the baby will come and that may bring her to the hospital. (That last part is my own speculation.)

Tomorrow I go to the CID office to identify property - it appears one of my wife’s Rolexes was recovered and possibly some jewelry.

I so appreciate your thoughtful support during the past 12 days. And I also hope I will post an unusual “incoming”. Like a homecoming picture of my wife’s Rolex.

I am keeping the important 3 in balance so I am not disappointed should it not be hers. Each one - Spirit, Emotion, Intellect - must stay balanced or the others can suffer.

Sent from my iPhoneX using Tapatalk
Paul, I saw the news story last Wednesday on Channel 2 news with the doorbell video and the pregnant lady. She also broke into a home and opened wrapped gifts under a tree and took what she wanted and left others. Unbelievable. Glad this saga is coming close to a resolution for you. You have shown much more class, restraint, and dignity about this whole ordeal than I would have.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2017, 09:32 AM   #272
Heartlandblaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: Humble but mine!
PaulG, class act in the face of evil. Fingers crossed for a positive outcome for you and your family.
Heartlandblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2017, 09:35 AM   #273
farscott
"TRF" Member

I am very glad to hear that some of your late wife's jewelry has been recovered. I am sure your children will prize those possessions, not for what they are but for what memories they prompt. I know this as I have some of my late father's jewelry, including his wedding band and an Air King I gifted him for his fiftieth birthday.
farscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2017, 09:46 AM   #274
Investr
Banned

Watch: Constantly changes
Great news so far! Ever since I read that Rolexs were scattered all around the car, air I can imagine is that Platona balled up inside the cup holder. Nothing a light polish cant remove. Crossing my fingers for you.....
Investr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2017, 10:05 AM   #275
Godfather111
"TRF" Member

Watch: Your Step
Whew! I've been on bated breath with every new update to this thread.

Hope the perp and his cohorts give up the stolen goods, or at least point to where they fenced it.

I really really hope that they get the worst and longest punishment that the law will allow.

Best wishes Paul.
Godfather111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2017, 11:31 PM   #276
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
at station today, Paul!
DM
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2017, 11:57 PM   #277
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL View Post
at station today, Paul!

DM

Thanks much

I have the appraisals and pictures I could find and hope for best.

The honesty of other victims may be a factor per some who know about claiming stolen property (total of 5 homes were hit in this spate of break-ins).

My appointment is mid afternoon so won’t know for several more hours.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 04:33 AM   #278
77T

On the way to PD

Something for them

No donuts

Old 14 December 2017, 04:43 AM   #279
NineMMParabellum
"TRF" Member

NineMMParabellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 04:56 AM   #280
Ballaratboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Good luck!
Ballaratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 05:22 AM   #281
richamby
"TRF" Member

Fingers crossed and praying for a wonderful outcome for you.
richamby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 07:59 AM   #282
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
I think I have refreshed this 35 times in the last hour.
cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 08:50 AM   #283
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cda555 View Post
I think I have refreshed this 35 times in the last hour.
Me, too
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 09:30 AM   #284
NineMMParabellum
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunlun View Post
Me, too
me three.... while in a meeting.
Old 14 December 2017, 10:05 AM   #285
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Congrats on at least a partial recovery of your goods. Thanks for updating this thread and also keeping your cool and staying classy throughout all this. I would be a lot more emotional and serving choice words when talking about these lowlifes.

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 11:15 AM   #286
77T

Rolex Theft by Home Break-in

Sorry for delay - been a long day and have a 9pm conference call to get on.

The CID office liked the cookies -

Then Despair…paired with Relief…

Despair is not for me - the good news is some of our property was recovered. Some Jewelry and a Rolex.
The concern is about one of the perpetrators…more on that later.

For now, the Relief…an incoming - sort of a homecoming - my wife’s 67193 OP

A little scratched but an overhaul was due anyway.

It was recovered for the most bizarre reason. It wasn’t the most expensive one in our collection - but it will now be priceless to our daughter. I had her on FaceTime to see the wedding ring the detectives recovered and she began to sob. The Rolex brought her some welcome relief. Lots of items were recovered including a pearl necklace that I thought had been missed.

Now for the bizarre way that Rolex was recovered. When they brought me into the “War Room” to ID any property that was ours, I was equipped with tools. (Since they said they couldn’t find a serial number when they called me Monday, I came prepared to help)

The lead detective said “look over these Rolexes and see if any are yours.” I quickly ID’d my wife’s and showed them how to find the s/n using a springbar tool. I gave them a copy of an appraisal and showed them the s/n to validate it was ours.

Then they asked if I could check out the other Rolexes and write down s/n’s. I was glad to help. (BTW, none of the more expensive models that were stolen have been found - neither my Platona nor DD, nor my wife’s diamond-dialed OP).

Here is why my wife’s white-dialed OP was found - it was among a bunch of fakes that had been stolen from other homes. Apparently the “fence” had rejected all the small plain looking ladies Rolex models. He spotted a couple of fakes and just rejected the lot. After showing the detectives why the others were fakes (pretty easy after the bracelets were off) - I told them not to be surprised if the other victims’ husbands were unaware if they bought them off CL or eBay.

I learned that a small cigar box had been taken that I had never noticed. The way I know that now is because of this rather mundane looking Swatch from the 1996 Olympics here.

There is a story of life behind that watch - or more accurately an escape from death. I bought that watch two hours before the Centennial Park bombing during the Olympics. My son and I left the Swatch shop in the Park and wandered down to the front row in front of the stage. We watched for a while and just as Jack Mack and the Heart Attack were singing away, my wife called the cellphone and said it was getting late - start for home. We left by going up the hill towards the CNN Center and from behind we felt and heard the explosion. Sadly, Alice Hawthorne, 44, of Albany, Georgia was killed by the explosion while sitting right behind the row we had stood 10 minutes earlier. In a way, my wife had saved us from possible death and certainly from injury. So in a way I have a memento as powerful as a Platona methinks.

Now about that despair - the detectives briefed me on the case. The perpetrator ( a male) in jail is a two-time convicted felon and was on probation when he broke into my home. Held without bail so the area is safer now). The word I used about his accomplice in an earlier post - the pregnant female “puppet” - was apt. He has been forcing the pregnant girl to help in these crimes per her sister. She has no record but her parents turned her out when she became pregnant. She had been couch surfing with her sister. LE is willing to treat her case leniently under the circumstances - if she would only turn herself in and cooperate. The male is going away for 20+ years due to a “3-strike” law here in Georgia - he will do the maximum sentence the judge gives him without the possibility of parole.

Again as I mentioned earlier - this could have been much worse and I’m glad the home was not torn asunder in this burglary. I’d like that soon-to-be-born-baby to have at least half a chance if the expectant mother would just see the light… :sigh:

Nothing we can do about that - just was a sad twist to the tale that unfolded today.

So the next chapter may be a long way off - hopefully a lawyer will convince the guy in jail to plead for mercy by giving up the name(s) of the fences who got my Rolexes. But failing that, I may never see them or maybe some unsuspecting owner down the line will take it to the RSC (I hope)…

Oh, there’s “one more thing”...

This star was recovered and it has a story of its own that will have to wait til my calls are over tonight.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all the support and you have helped keep my spirits up.

Old 14 December 2017, 11:26 AM   #287
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
I'm so happy to hear about these developments, Paul! Still keeping my fingers crossed for more to happen. Very touching story as well, thanks for sharing that and continuing to keep us updated
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 11:28 AM   #288
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Paul... fabulous idea/assist on IDing other items. What a blessing to find intact one watch, and other items of yours.

So fortunate you are to have avoided, by circumstance, the very serious situations you describe.

You have a plethora of good wishes lifted up for you.
Blessings,
DM
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 11:34 AM   #289
1WatchDawg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610T Sub Date
Paul, all that I can say is WOW. I sure hope you're able to recover your property and wish you and your family peace and serenity this Holiday Season.
1WatchDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 11:56 AM   #290
hdrazor251
"TRF" Member

Watch: is recovered!!
Wow Paul, what an amazing story. Glad you have partially recovered your loss and hope you get the rest back soon.

As for the perp...20+ years is a good start.
Old 14 December 2017, 12:04 PM   #291
stylinleems

So glad to hear that you recovered some of the items. Hopefully, they will be able to recover more of the jewelry/watches.

Looking forward to more updates!
stylinleems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 12:06 PM   #292
NineMMParabellum
"TRF" Member

Just got into my hotel in Gainesville, GA. Reading the conclusion of this fiasco is a nice way to end my busy day.
Old 14 December 2017, 01:26 PM   #293
Tudorpa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT; Panerai
Paul,
I have followed your developments and am so glad that you have your late wife’s watch back for your daughter. Hopefully the perp will sing and you will be closer to getting back your other missing items.
Tudorpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 01:48 PM   #294
richamby
"TRF" Member

Paul, prayers answered. You have your wife's watch back.
richamby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 02:15 PM   #295
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them.
Thanks for the updates, and for being a wonderful wonderful man. God bless you.
BLNR Nairobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 02:19 PM   #296
CalSRQ1

Watch: 5513
Paul- thanks for all the updates, and for giving back by helping LE and sharing your tips and journey. So glad your late wife’s Rolex was Recovered for you and your daughter.
CalSRQ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 02:27 PM   #297
chieftd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue Sub, YM16623
Very happy to hear the news
chieftd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 02:43 PM   #298
teqp
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LN
Paul, I’m very happy to hear that some of your items were recovered, especially one of your wife’s watches. I will continue to hope the rest of your items return to you. Wishing you and your family happy holidays!
teqp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 02:44 PM   #299
77T

I’m grateful for the well wishes. Just got off last call and heading to bed.

I will update if anything new comes up - and share what that star ⭐️ meant to a grand-daughter tomorrow.

Old 14 December 2017, 02:51 PM   #300
WARVET
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Coke
I knew a man who was robbed of over by a gang that set up a fake storefront jewelry store. he entered with over 100k in Rolex and was fortunate to be unhurt. The thieves left for South America with the loot the next day.
WARVET is offline   Reply With Quote