The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 December 2017, 02:15 AM   #1
seal13il
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC
That moment we all regret....

Howdy All,

With an inspiration from another forum member, I decided to open this thread where we all can put our ego aside and share those "oops" moments many of us had made by "passing" on a "deal" we came across and now ....... so lets hear the stories:)
seal13il is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 02:18 AM   #2
EmilA
"TRF" Member

SubC Date a few days back. I know who brought it and he is a part time watch flipper
EmilA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 02:19 AM   #3
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Too many to speak of!! All those years of countless subs & Daytona reselling used for less than RRP... if only damned crystalball wasn't on the fritz.
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 02:19 AM   #4
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
DBlue for 8% discount
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 02:21 AM   #5
tng11
"TRF" Member

Passing on a blue dial 5711/1A sitting in a AD window in 2016 at MSRP. And various other opportunities I had to buy a 5712/1A.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 02:22 AM   #6
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I was just thinking about this recently.

I passed on two watches in my travels I wished I owned now. One was a WG DD2 with the blue wave dial. The other was a WG SKD with black dial. Doubt if I'll ever see either one at anything close to what I could have got them for.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 02:24 AM   #7
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
I was just thinking about this recently.

I passed on two watches in my travels I wished I owned now. One was a WG DD2 with the blue wave dial. The other was a WG SKD with black dial. Doubt if I'll ever see either one at anything close to what I could have got them for.
WGDD2 blue wave dial Larry ... That is a BEAUTY
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 02:27 AM   #8
Sarosh
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
2004 16610lv Kermit, retail when it was released. Passed it up and bought a car. Car gone after 5 years and I still cry a little inside everyday when I see how much they are worth now. Not that I'd ever have sold it. Sad times
Sarosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 02:30 AM   #9
Recaro18
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16520
Passing on a full set 16520 Black Zenith, ..just a few months back. ��

~Connecting people through my passion, one timepiece at a time~
Recaro18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 02:33 AM   #10
seal13il
"TRF" Member

So... many years ago, after the fall of the walls in eastern Europe I was working in Bucharest Romania, there used to be an area called "Lipscan", old part of the city that had mostly old world pawn shops where all the former big shots used to pawn the "rewards" they gathered through the communist years and now had to pawn them to pay the rent.....and so the story begins.....

Walked into one of my weekly stops hunting for "something", I was a young mid 20s schmuk and as I browse.... I saw a two faced percaline 4 chrono gold pocket watch by Patek Phillippe...... I was blown away by the complications... (very similar to the 89 caliber) , they asked $4,000 Us for it, and back in 1994 in Romania that was equivalent to about a 5 year avg salary....the negotiations began and kept going for about 4 weeks.....till...I came in and it was gone.... a few years passed...I forgot about it and I was sitting in my house in LA (prob 12 years later) browsing through my Patek quarterly newsletter and here she was....... sold in auction for.......$2,400,000 ......OUCH.... I was young, I was stupid ...I wasn't financially solid, but this one goes for the books:)
Old 11 December 2017, 02:34 AM   #11
seal13il
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
DBlue for 8% discount
tou·ché
Old 11 December 2017, 03:21 AM   #12
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
DBlue for 8% discount
I see what you did there.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 03:22 AM   #13
TitanCi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seal13il View Post
So... many years ago, after the fall of the walls in eastern Europe I was working in Bucharest Romania, there used to be an area called "Lipscan", old part of the city that had mostly old world pawn shops where all the former big shots used to pawn the "rewards" they gathered through the communist years and now had to pawn them to pay the rent.....and so the story begins.....

Walked into one of my weekly stops hunting for "something", I was a young mid 20s schmuk and as I browse.... I saw a two faced percaline 4 chrono gold pocket watch by Patek Phillippe...... I was blown away by the complications... (very similar to the 89 caliber) , they asked $4,000 Us for it, and back in 1994 in Romania that was equivalent to about a 5 year avg salary....the negotiations began and kept going for about 4 weeks.....till...I came in and it was gone.... a few years passed...I forgot about it and I was sitting in my house in LA (prob 12 years later) browsing through my Patek quarterly newsletter and here she was....... sold in auction for.......$2,400,000 ......OUCH.... I was young, I was stupid ...I wasn't financially solid, but this one goes for the books:)

Wow!!!!

But how could you have known?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TitanCi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 03:49 AM   #14
10XRolex
2024 Pledge Member

I've had a few. But I'd say the biggest one was trading an Explorer II and a Sub LV towards a Deepsea. This was when the Deepsea was selling for around 10k; preowned. I had two LV's and the Eplorer II was not getting wrist time. I also didn't want to pull money out my pocket. But to add more fuel to the fire, I sold the Deepsea for a beating when I bought a new Cameron Deepsea.

At the end of the day, I still wish I had the second LV but I'm very happy with the D blue and it was brand new in my name.
10XRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 04:20 AM   #15
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
If I was a watch trader I would have regretted not buying various Rolex, AP and PP models each month for the past four.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 04:45 AM   #16
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
I passed up an opportunity to buy an absolutely adorable early 1900's solid gold IWC Pocket watch in superb condition with the most elegant set of hands i've ever seen and the movement was one of their "heritage" calibers their reputation was literally built upon.
It had some crazing on the enamel dial and i even contemplated sending it back to IWC to have it restored to its like new/former glory.
It would've cost an absolute bomb to do but worth it.

As long as i live i will regret passing on it.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 05:13 AM   #17
Iflylo
"TRF" Member

Have had many, the latest one I remember. In March of this year holding a PP5712 blue still sealed in its little plastic foam wrapper being offered a 10% disc and passed it up...
Old 11 December 2017, 05:27 AM   #18
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
Two GMT 1675s for $7k... that was 5 years ago
Old 11 December 2017, 05:59 AM   #19
paltak
"TRF" Member

About 4-5 years ago I came close to pulling the trigger on excellent and complete examples of 1655, 1680 red sub tropical dial, 16520. What a great trifecta they would've been.
paltak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 06:27 AM   #20
Kingsking
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seal13il View Post

Ouch, i think we can just lock the thread right now lol. I doubt anything tops this
Old 11 December 2017, 07:27 AM   #21
jets
"TRF" Member

How about if he bought it for 4K, then a few years later sold it for a small profit. That would have been worse! Look at the bright side :)
Seiko SLA033 Willard · SKX007
jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 07:29 AM   #22
seal13il
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jets View Post
How about if he bought it for 4K, then a few years later sold it for a small profit. That would have been worse! Look at the bright side :)
LOL, no bright side on that one LOL....its a loose and loose situation
Old 11 December 2017, 07:57 AM   #23
chemistryde
Banned

Watch: All Daytonas&Subs
My AD Liljenquist & Beckstead at the Tyson's Galleria in Virginia had the white and black 116520 Daytonas in 2013 and I only bought the black dial one. Could still kick myself for not buying both :(
chemistryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 08:16 AM   #24
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

I didnt buy bitcoin when it was $1... or $10... or when it was equal to gold pricing...
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 08:25 AM   #25
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
i had two ,,, yes two 5517s in my desk drawer and could have owned them for 32 pounds sterling each .... oops
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 08:30 AM   #26
cornerstore
"TRF" Member

Passing on a pristine one owner never molested full kit 5513 meters first for $4K US and a bnib 16520 white dial Daytona for $8k US both in 2012. Passing on a 116520 Black Dial Daytona bnib for $8k US at end of model run. Bought the white one though. I think I will stop listing the others before I get depressed. :)
cornerstore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 08:35 AM   #27
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
Passing on a White SS Sky Dweller about one week ago (yes the AD had it) which I could have bought, and which my wife was happy for me to get. She initially wanted me to wait, then decided I should get. I wanted to get it, but then I decided I should wait. Its not a biggie, as I WILL get one in 2018. Still, I could have had it under the tree for right now. Bugger.
The Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 08:37 AM   #28
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

Selling my grandfathers Patek he gifted me before passing. Needed the money to buy special infant formula for a newborn not covered by insurance and $50 a small can.
HorologyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 08:40 AM   #29
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorologyK View Post
Selling my grandfathers Patek he gifted me before passing. Needed the money to buy special infant formula for a newborn not covered by insurance and $50 a small can.
id certainly not regret that choice.

and if your grandad was like mine , he would only approve too.
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 08:47 AM   #30
Brian1966
"TRF" Member

I've passed on so many deals I regret and lost a lot of money. Willl this sickness ever end.
Brian1966 is offline   Reply With Quote