The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 December 2017, 10:19 AM   #1
kalburnfall
Banned

Has anyone owned both the Pelagos and Black Bay?

I want to know even though the Pelagos is thicker and chunkier than the BB, since it’s wider, does it feel more proportional? From what I remember the Pelagos seemed more comfortable and it didn’t seem as blocky. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kalburnfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2017, 11:32 AM   #2
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
I’m just an owner of a Pelagos, not a Black Bay. I would like to say that the Pelagos is remarkably comfortable because of the awesomeness bracelet and titanium construction. It takes just a moment to size perfectly, and allows a snug, but not tight, fit all day long. It’s a remarkably comfortable watch that wears its size extremely well.

Someone who owns both will be along shortly to give you the response you were looking for.
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2017, 11:43 AM   #3
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Had both. BB wears flatter became of the case back.
Both are comfortable imo. I could not deal with the thickness and height of the pelagos. So I liked the fit of the B.B. a little more.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2017, 11:51 AM   #4
Smarties
"TRF" Member

It’s a matter of personal preference. Visit an AD and try them on yourself!
Smarties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2017, 12:57 PM   #5
TVal07
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600 (SD4K)
I tried on both multiple times prior to purchase. I went with the Black Bay ETA version (black bezel) as the Pelagos sits a bit higher and is a bit chunkier overall. The Black Bay sits quite comfortably and flat on the wrist. Keep in mind the new in house version of the Black Bay is marginally taller than the ETA version and the case back protrudes, so it doesn’t sit as flat. I also found the Black Bay to be more versatile than the Pelagos, but this comes down to what type of watch you are looking for. The Pelagos is an awesome tool watch and has a well executed bracelet - for its size, it’s quite comfortable and wearable.
TVal07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2017, 01:00 PM   #6
jbullis
"TRF" 2011 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT II, Datejust
I own the Pelagos and just picked up the 5B. Both have a place in their rotation
jbullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2017, 01:14 PM   #7
MickCollins1916
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600 SD4K

I owned the 2-liner Pelagos, couldn’t find a comfortable fit, and sold it. Same with the ETA BB on bracelet.

But I tried the in-house Pelagos on, which has a slightly thicker case, and love the fit. I’ve enjoyed wearing that watch for a few years, and I like the proportions.

Picked up another ETA BB as well, on leather (which I have never worn), and have enjoyed wearing it on nato. Really versatile watch, but the case is a bit thick.

Between the Pelagos and BBN I currently have, I prefer the Pelagos.
MickCollins1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2017, 04:01 PM   #8
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
I have a 2 line Pelagos and the BB eta trio. Love them all. I find myself keeping the Pelagos on the bracelet and having the BB’s on leather/nato most of the time. Just threw the blue on a bracelet last night and am wearing it while I travel this week.

The BB is a little easier to tuck under the cuff of a dress shirt. The Pelagos did take a little bit to get the fit perfect. But once you find the right combo it is wonderful as well.

bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2017, 08:23 PM   #9
stevedssd
"TRF" Member

I think this is all down to personal choice, as suggested try them both on at an AD. I have both and personally the Pelagos is more comfortable due to the weight of the titanium case and micro-adjustable bracelet but the Black Bay is a great watch too
stevedssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2017, 08:34 PM   #10
swisscheeses
Banned

I own both ETA versions... The BB is on leather and wears so much nicer that the Pelagos... but its lighter, which is also plus point. They are both very different watches, the BB is more a 'dress diver' the Pelagos is a real tool watch... the clasp is engineering masterpiece too!!!

As for thickness, the BB is thick, maybe a little too much, the in house version is even thicker tho and heavier... not to my liking. Also the price if the ETA versions seam to creeping up in the pre-owned market. I think people prefer and like the original Tudor logo on the BB especially.
swisscheeses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2017, 08:44 PM   #11
Ian Macdermott
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
I own both and the Pelagos is a bit lighter but a bit more chunky, also the bracelet is easier to size because of the micro adjustment. Try both on at an AD and see which one you prefer.

Sent by Taptalk from my phone which rather annoyingly and randomly rotates my pictures the wrong way around whenever it takes a fancy. I am sure the damn things got a mind of its own. :-(
Ian Macdermott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2017, 09:26 PM   #12
kalburnfall
Banned

Thanks for everyone’s feedback. I have tried both on at an AD once before, and I ended up getting the black bay steel in house because of the smaller dial. I think the Pelagos gave me less of an impression of a “block” on my wrist though, thick as it is. Didn’t get this feeling till wearing my subc ND more recently. Just wanted to see if anyone’s experience matched my impression.
Also the rivets, being there purely for ornamental reasons, and vintage-style stepped bracelet make the B.B. seem more like a novelty to me rather than something that can really be timeless. Another reason why I want to try a Pelagos. The ETA B.B. doesn’t appeal to me either.
I know I could swap in an old B.B. bracelet but I have this thing where I can’t stand the idea of mixing and matching even minor parts even within the same brand / line. I know, seems irrational.

kalburnfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2017, 09:47 PM   #13
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I own both a Pelagos and a BB, both with the in-house movement. Both are great watch for what they are but the Pelagos is my favorite. I like the titanium and the overall look and fit of the Pelagos is better for me. I have come to the conclusion that the BB does not work as well for me a Black Bay Bronze, size, and will be moving that way. I also like the blue color of my Pelagos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170907_135616_640.jpg (198.5 KB, 112 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote