The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 15 September 2018, 04:55 AM   #1
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Your Thoughts: circa 1969 Tudor Day Date

I came across a Tudor Day Date, estimated original purchase date of 1969. First off, I didn't take pictures, so bad on me. I wasn't that interested but the more I think about it the more I might be interested. 1969 is my birth year and like the tudor day date a lot. Points of consideration:

1. shop is selling it for the original owner, asking $2750
2. Has a the rolex coronet on the crown
3. Case back is stamped with Rolex and some other words but can't remember, maybe oyster case. Something that seems legit.
4. Has original oyster bracelet, in usable but not great shape
5. Bezel is similar to a Sub, has numbers at 10, 20, 30, etc. This threw me, I've never seen this bezel on a Tudor Day Date but have found pictures of them so I don't think it's a franken watch. Bezel very faded.
6. Case and Crystal were in good shape given the age.
7. Wound very rough but the shop is going to look at it, shop owner agreed it's currently not winding like it should. But the second hand moved and it went around without any obvious problems.
8. Overall I'd give it a 6 out of 10 condition. This is based on my zero experience rating watch conditions. It's in good enough condition I'd wear it but not in a collectible condition, I wouldn't buy this thinking I'd sell it for a profit in the future so it needs to be babied or hidden in a safe.

Edit: I think the movement number is 1806, not a Rolex movement.

Those are the highlights. Asking price seems high, I said I'd be interested but price seemed high, no lack of willingness to negotiate was mentioned.

Any thoughts on the piece overall and the price? I have almost no experience with vintage watches, even less with vintage Tudors. Thanks for your input. And if I can get back to take photos I'll upload them, but to see it you'd believe it's from 1969, cared for but certainly worn a lot.

Thanks!
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 05:04 AM   #2
05carbondrz
Banned

I think they call it a jumbo day date Turn-O-Graph.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 05:20 AM   #3
NKflyer
"TRF" Member

^^ Yep. Reference number 7020.

These are pretty thinly traded, so there's not a ton of price transparency like there would be for say, a contemporary submariner. But a quick look at watchrecon.com and ebay seems like the asking price is "in the ballpark".

It sounds like the watch needs a service sooner than later and I would use that to your advantage to negotiate an as-is deal. I wouldn't rely on the selling party to do a thorough quality service on the piece anyway. Most shops will selectively oil the movement and send it out the door. Rather than them messing with, get a lower price and take or send it where you want for service.
NKflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 07:17 AM   #4
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
It has a schild movement. Nice watch and very heavy. More than a sub in my experience w one. It's expensive if the dial is bad and rough. My watchmaker had trouble with repairing mine and prefers the ETA. The price is high if no band. Any bracelet ?
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 08:51 AM   #5
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry in montreal View Post
It has a schild movement. Nice watch and very heavy. More than a sub in my experience w one. It's expensive if the dial is bad and rough. My watchmaker had trouble with repairing mine and prefers the ETA. The price is high if no band. Any bracelet ?
Alas, the 7020/0 A Schild movements Achilles Heal is the offset cannon pinion. Both my talented local watchmaker and the reverred Bob Ridley, after multiple attempts, could not get mine to work consistently. The movement winds and runs but the hands don't move. Very frustrating, as I have a very cool looking paperweight.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 09:02 AM   #6
05carbondrz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
Alas, the 7020/0 A Schild movements Achilles Heal is the offset cannon pinion. Both my talented local watchmaker and the reverred Bob Ridley, after multiple attempts, could not get mine to work consistently. The movement winds and runs but the hands don't move. Very frustrating, as I have a very cool looking paperweight.
dP
Man....That sucks.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 09:22 AM   #7
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
Quote:
dP
Dan-

Have you or your watchmaker tried crossing the movement with a date only or no date A. Schlid? They were absorbed and became what is now ETA but not really compatible... in your case, a donor movement/watch might be in order. Maybe one with a destroyed hair spring that doesn’t run- that’s where I’d look.

PITA but worth it when you can wear it again... Finding the elusive stuff is half the fun of the hobby for me.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 11:41 AM   #8
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
dP
Had no idea! Mine is running fine but bloody hell! I have the 7020 and 2 7017, all work. Wonder if Tommy could fix it?

Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 11:50 AM   #9
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Last year, a friend was in watchmaking school and they received boxes of old broken watches from the estate of a deceased watchmaker. Each student got one box to keep and dissect. My buddy gets a tudor 7017 day date with a Rolex 7206 band. Apparently, the old guy tried to fix it but found it unrepairable. My buddy also couldn’t get the date wheels to click over. I had a 7020 and sold her on the bay with broken date wheels too.
Old 15 September 2018, 11:56 AM   #10
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05carbondrz View Post
Man....That sucks.
Yes it does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J!m View Post
Dan-

Have you or your watchmaker tried crossing the movement with a date only or no date A. Schlid? They were absorbed and became what is now ETA but not really compatible... in your case, a donor movement/watch might be in order. Maybe one with a destroyed hair spring that doesn’t run- that’s where I’d look.

PITA but worth it when you can wear it again... Finding the elusive stuff is half the fun of the hobby for me.
I asked both my watchmaker and Bob if there was an ETA movement available as a drop in but no luck. I don't want to find a donor fearing the same issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Carver View Post
Had no idea! Mine is running fine but bloody hell! I have the 7020 and 2 7017, all work. Wonder if Tommy could fix it?

Really glad your's are in working order, Richard. Who's Tommy?
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Old 15 September 2018, 12:05 PM   #11
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

You know him. Tommy Taylor in Austin, he rescues ancient Rolex movements from the 20s-30s-40s, He's done some amazing builds.
Old 15 September 2018, 12:07 PM   #12
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Last year, a friend was in watchmaking school and they received boxes of old broken watches from the estate of a deceased watchmaker. Each student got one box to keep and dissect. My buddy gets a tudor 7017 day date with a Rolex 7206 band. Apparently, the old guy tried to fix it but found it unrepairable. My buddy also couldn’t get the date wheels to click over. I had a 7020 and sold her on the bay with broken date wheels too.
I can get the date & day wheels to move, the movement to wind, but the hands don't move.

Bob Ridley had the watch multiple times, poor guy spent a small fortune with Fed Ex, and generously asked me to send it back again but after having it literally gone for a couple years I've given up.

A real shame because I love(d) the watch and basically paid for it twice already.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Old 15 September 2018, 12:18 PM   #13
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
You know him. Tommy Taylor in Austin, he rescues ancient Rolex movements from the 20s-30s-40s, He's done some amazing builds.
Sorry, I've not heard of him. I just hate to get my hopes up, especially at the cost of essentially buying the watch for a 3rd time.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Old 15 September 2018, 12:24 PM   #14
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

If mine craps out I'll get it to him. Whoever figures that one out will make a ton. :) Anyone know a parts manufacturer?
Old 15 September 2018, 12:37 PM   #15
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Why not buy a movement for the thing? Swap the rotor. You can then enjoy it!
Old 15 September 2018, 01:00 PM   #16
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Why not buy a movement for the thing? Swap the rotor. You can then enjoy it!
What movement? According to Bob Ridley there is no drop in available that would work.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Old 15 September 2018, 01:40 PM   #17
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
What movement? According to Bob Ridley there is no drop in available that would work.
dP
What about the ETA 2834 that they use in the Tudor 76200, etc?
Old 15 September 2018, 05:12 PM   #18
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

I suppose over the years I have seen complete schilds on the bay. I would try my luck and replace the one you have. If I ever see one in decent shape around mtl, I will pm you
Old 15 September 2018, 10:16 PM   #19
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
What about the ETA 2834 that they use in the Tudor 76200, etc?
Adam, I don't think that's an option due to the size but I'll ask.
Quote:
I suppose over the years I have seen complete schilds on the bay. I would try my luck and replace the one you have. If I ever see one in decent shape around mtl, I will pm you
Thanks, much appreciated.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Old 15 September 2018, 10:54 PM   #20
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

I’ve had one of these on my radar. Thanks for all the great knowledge here.
Old 16 September 2018, 04:39 AM   #21
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, comes with the original oyster bracelet. It's wearable and seems to latch without problems. Not much stretch, probably in condition one would expect from a nearly 50 year old watch.
Old 16 September 2018, 04:41 AM   #22
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Quote:

That looks like the watch. But the bezel on the one I'm looking at is far more faded. And it also looks like the bezel on the watch I found is much thinner, but maybe not.
Old 16 September 2018, 04:48 AM   #23
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05carbondrz View Post
I think they call it a jumbo day date Turn-O-Graph.
That makes sense, same bezel (similar) as the Rolex Turn O Graph with the day-date function. I'd never seen this version of a Tudor Day Date before.
Old 16 September 2018, 04:54 AM   #24
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKflyer View Post
^^ Yep. Reference number 7020.

These are pretty thinly traded, so there's not a ton of price transparency like there would be for say, a contemporary submariner. But a quick look at watchrecon.com and ebay seems like the asking price is "in the ballpark".

It sounds like the watch needs a service sooner than later and I would use that to your advantage to negotiate an as-is deal. I wouldn't rely on the selling party to do a thorough quality service on the piece anyway. Most shops will selectively oil the movement and send it out the door. Rather than them messing with, get a lower price and take or send it where you want for service.
If I remember correctly this movement was a 1806 or something like that. I think it's a tudor movement, not an ETA or mass produced. This is a pretty good watch repair shop, they fix a lot of higher end brands and have a good reputation. But I agree that negotiating a price that reflects a needed service is a good idea. I think they are offering a warranty on it, I remember seeing something on a tag that provided more watch details. I looked at it out of curiosity and didn't pay attention to all the details closely enough, thinking I wasn't that interested.

I misread a comment earlier, it's a Schild movement... never heard of them. My vintage experience is shining through...
Old 16 September 2018, 05:11 AM   #25
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcdhtwn View Post
If I remember correctly this movement was a 1806 or something like that. I think it's a tudor movement, not an ETA or mass produced. This is a pretty good watch repair shop, they fix a lot of higher end brands and have a good reputation. But I agree that negotiating a price that reflects a needed service is a good idea. I think they are offering a warranty on it, I remember seeing something on a tag that provided more watch details. I looked at it out of curiosity and didn't pay attention to all the details closely enough, thinking I wasn't that interested.

I misread a comment earlier, it's a Schild movement... never heard of them. My vintage experience is shining through...
Tudor never had in in house movement until very recently. If it dates to 1969, it's an A Schilds movement, caliber 1895.

I love to get this classic back on my wrist.
dP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040472.JPG (255.7 KB, 376 views)
File Type: jpg P1040475.JPG (230.7 KB, 375 views)
The Crown & Shield Club
Old 16 September 2018, 08:45 AM   #26
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

The nefarious A. Schild 1895

Old 10 September 2020, 05:35 AM   #27
mmpass
"TRF" Member

My 7020 repair

Quote:
Tudor never had in in house movement until very recently. If it dates to 1969, it's an A Schilds movement, caliber 1895.

I love to get this classic back on my wrist.
dP
Just got my 7020 back from repair (5 months or so).
Took several minutes to set the Date/Day non quickset.
Looks great.
I'm guessing these can be repaired, but maybe each repair issue is unique?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jumbo.jpg (255.5 KB, 293 views)
mmpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2020, 06:12 AM   #28
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmpass View Post
Just got my 7020 back from repair (5 months or so).
Took several minutes to set the Date/Day non quickset.
Looks great.
I'm guessing these can be repaired, but maybe each repair issue is unique?
Congrats on that rare classic! What was the original issue you had with the watch?
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Old 10 September 2020, 06:40 AM   #29
dhknola
"TRF" Member

I love my 7020; the rotating bezel really makes it.
Damn shame on yours Dan.
dhknola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2020, 06:41 AM   #30
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhknola View Post
I love my 7020; the rotating bezel really makes it.
Damn shame on yours Dan.
I agree with all the above.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club