The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 December 2020, 11:15 PM   #1
Nanasaka90
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600, 126600, 126
Just realized I made a complete a** of myself at a dealers.

Went to look at a vintage submariner 5513 at an AD an hour away, I turned the bezel and noticed it was not only smooth but bi-directional. Being the idiot I am, I proceeded to have a polite but spirited conversation with the owner about this “issue”.

Being a gentleman he gave up and said he’d have it looked at. Just doing some general enthusiast reading this morning, I realized it’s pretty much how they were made.

Nothing like a good reminder to stay humble and quit acting like a know-it-all. Have a good week guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nanasaka90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2020, 11:18 PM   #2
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Learning never stops
It would’ve been a good opportunity for the owner to let you know how vintage was different
Old 1 December 2020, 11:25 PM   #3
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

I would call the guy back and tell him you looked it up. Shows a lot about your interest level but also your character. You may end up winning him over.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2020, 11:29 PM   #4
Deepseadog
Banned

Watch: 126660 279160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pw92676 View Post
I would call the guy back and tell him you looked it up. Shows a lot about your interest level but also your character. You may end up winning him over.
So glad I went grey. The thought of having to win someone over to purchase a watch does not appeal to me.
Deepseadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2020, 11:39 PM   #5
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepseadog View Post
So glad I went grey. The thought of having to win someone over to purchase a watch does not appeal to me.
Huh? Maybe I’m misunderstanding the direction you took this. Winning someone over doesn’t mean kissing butt. It means leaving with a good reputation and image or at least reverse the negative image as OP thinks he created for himself.
Has nothing to do with AD or Grey. Also, I think the vintage route is a quite a bit different game than simply AD vs Grey for a modern in-production watch.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2020, 11:48 PM   #6
JebM
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I’ve done something kind of like this before. Called back to let him know I’d sorted myself out.

JebM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2020, 11:56 PM   #7
Nanasaka90
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600, 126600, 126
Quote:

Exactly what I was thinking, I’ll do that.

Nanasaka90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2020, 12:05 AM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
To be fair, it sounds like he didn’t know either
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2020, 12:10 AM   #9
GONZO2LR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
i would think as an AD, he would of know that about the bezel?...wait????...He might not of been Rolex savvy!...wow...i answered my own remark...HA...you guys are making me smarter every time i got on here!
GONZO2LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2020, 12:12 AM   #10
Caesium Al
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
How much was the 5513? Did it look original? Was it an early model? Nice to know ADs have some of these occasionally. Thank you for the post!
Caesium Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2020, 12:14 AM   #11
rockmastermike
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1982 16750
Quote:
Word
rockmastermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2020, 12:35 AM   #12
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GONZO2LR View Post
i would think as an AD, he would of know that about the bezel?...wait????...He might not of been Rolex savvy!...wow...i answered my own remark...HA...you guys are making me smarter every time i got on here!

Also, some ADs don’t routinely get rare birds in the door as a trade - and the unique variations (like when a click spring was introduced) are not readily understood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2020, 01:15 AM   #13
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:

Good life advice here. Proactively reaching out to let him know you learned you were wrong and didn’t want him to waste his time investigating it is a good move. Regardless of if you go for this specific watch or not, it shows good character

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2020, 01:59 AM   #14
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post
good life advice here. Proactively reaching out to let him know you learned you were wrong and didn’t want him to waste his time investigating it is a good move. Regardless of if you go for this specific watch or not, it shows good character

sent from my iphone using tapatalk
+1
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2020, 03:33 AM   #15
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
If it makes you feel better I always make an a** of myself when I visit an AD. Every time I go and inquire about a SS model or whenever I walk-through the storefront, peering into the largely-vacant display case, with obvious disappointment about the public offerings while knowing that the models that interest me will never be on display and only stored in the back.
TimeAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2020, 03:41 AM   #16
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanasaka90 View Post
Went to look at a vintage submariner 5513 at an AD an hour away, I turned the bezel and noticed it was not only smooth but bi-directional. Being the idiot I am, I proceeded to have a polite but spirited conversation with the owner about this “issue”.

Being a gentleman he gave up and said he’d have it looked at. Just doing some general enthusiast reading this morning, I realized it’s pretty much how they were made.

Nothing like a good reminder to stay humble and quit acting like a know-it-all. Have a good week guys!

I call BS here, the customer is always right LOL...
Old 2 December 2020, 03:46 AM   #17
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
To be fair, it sounds like he didn’t know either
That’s what I thought.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2020, 02:00 PM   #18
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
He knew. He's not a dolt. He was just being polite and didn't want to argue with you or embarrass you over a bezel that you clearly didn't know about. He knew you were leaving, so he politely placated you rather than spend the next XYZ minutes educating you on how you were wrong. Classy of him to do that.

It takes a lot more confidence to politely agree with a customer who is clearly wrong rather than get into it with them. And to what end? It's not like you were going to buy it and he knew that.

I'd call, like some others have said, and admit you were wrong. It might spark more conversation and he might think of you the next time he gets something on your wish list.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2020, 02:14 PM   #19
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanasaka90 View Post

Well, I would have made the same comment because this is the first time I read abou the bezel being bidirectional on the vintage subs!
I learnt something new thanks to you.

Old 2 December 2020, 02:19 PM   #20
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rori View Post
Well, I would have made the same comment because this is the first time I read abou the bezel being bidirectional on the vintage subs!
I learnt something new thanks to you.

I did not know this either. Seems dangerous if you actually use it to dive with. Would rather come up too early than run out of air.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2020, 02:29 PM   #21
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post
I did not know this either. Seems dangerous if you actually use it to dive with. Would rather come up too early than run out of air.

Exactly my thoughts.