The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 3 March 2011, 12:11 AM   #1
Deliverator
"TRF" Member

Watch: '72 5513
My new '72 5513--are dial and hands original?

Hi everybody, I am pretty new to this forum, but all of the great posts and great pics have resulted in me being bitten by the vintage bug, and I have just made my first plunge. I just picked up a "new" 5513, with a 3.3 million serial number, which I understand means that it was made in 1972 or so. It apparently hasn't been serviced in 25 years, but actually keeps very good time--picks up about 4 seconds on my dresser at night, and more or less gives them back during the day, so net keeps to losing a couple of seconds a day to gaining a couple of seconds a day. My question for you is this--do the dial and hands look original? I'm a total novice next to the rest of you, but my understanding is that the open 6's are right for 1972. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

5513-1b.JPG

5513-2b.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5513-1a.jpg (125.1 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg 5513-2.jpg (103.0 KB, 165 views)
Deliverator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2011, 01:40 AM   #2
conrail
"TRF" Member

Sounds like the watch is running rather inconsistently and you should probably get a competent vintage Rolex guy to have a peek at it, especially since it hasn't been serviced in so long.

But, the million dollar question re the hands/dial. The dial looks to be original, but its hard to say without seeing it in person. The hands seem to be a bit brighter, crisper white. But a way to tell would be to hold it under a bright light source for 30 seconds and then, in a dark area, see how brightly each part of the lume areas shines. If its all original, you should see no lume glow from the tritium. If it was redone, the degree of brightness will tell you how long ago it was redone.

If the dial is dark, but the hands glow brightly they're probably replacements. I wouldn't worry about the pearl glowing, as those were often replaced and it might glow still.

Hope that helps, but in any event its a lovely looking piece from 1972!
Old 3 March 2011, 02:30 AM   #3
Deliverator
"TRF" Member

Thank you very much for your advice! I just went into a dark room to check, and it appears that the lume is totally dead. I will take your advice on the servicing as well. It is incredible, though, that Rolex makes this with the robustness for this to work as well as it does after 25 years since the last servicing.
Old 3 March 2011, 02:41 AM   #4
Jan Davis
Fake Identity Cyber-Criminal

Watch: DateJust
Looks good, the cal. 1530 needs servicing.
Jan Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2011, 02:45 AM   #5
AG1

Just remember to take it to an independent watchmaker who will leave the exterior untouched while only servicing the movement, gaskets and possibly the acrylic crystal (to keep it water proof) and ask them to return the original crystal to you :)

If I were you, I would not have the watch polished but I would have it serviced without a doubt.

Nice watch!

/Alex
AG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2011, 03:23 AM   #6
mike
"TRF" Member

The markings are certainly correct for the era. Absent having the watch, the condition of the indices and hands set look good.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2011, 06:04 AM   #7
Deliverator
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for your helpful comments and advice! I had been planning on taking this to the New York Rolex Servicing Center for servicing, since I work nearby, but based on your advice I will instead find an independent Rolex servicer who knows how to deal with vintage watches.