The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 2 March 2011, 08:46 AM   #1
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
Is There an Easy Way to Tell??

If your watch has Luminova or Tritium hands? I have a 3.3m 5513 ( 1971-72 ) that has hands that seem "VERY clean" for this era watch. At first, I thought that they were probably SL hands because they didn't seem to match the patina of the dial. I still think that they are replacement hands, but now I am wondering if possibly they were replaced in the 80s to 90s....... Is there an easy way to tell? Both the dial and the hands glow a little when exposed to light........with the hands DEFINITELY a bit brighter than the dial.......However, the hands don't seem nearly as bright as any of my modern sub or SeaDweller hands......

Any easy way to tell??

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2011, 10:02 AM   #2
Clay
Banned

No......I would think if they glow brightly and have a green tint, then they would be Lumi hands.....?????
Do you have an easier question????
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2011, 10:04 AM   #3
renfield33
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II Pepsi
i have similar concerns with my gmt II - even though it isn't really vintage "S" serial

Old 2 March 2011, 12:35 PM   #4
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
No......I would think if they glow brightly and have a green tint, then they would be Lumi hands.....?????
Do you have an easier question????
Yes, are you ready to part with that beautiful 1665 yet??

PLEXI IS SEXY
Old 3 March 2011, 06:57 AM   #5
Clay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
Yes, are you ready to part with that beautiful 1665 yet??
You will be the first to know.....
Old 3 March 2011, 07:11 AM   #6
denzo
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 116234 Roman N
Anything with T in such as Swiss - T< 25, T Swiss Made T etc ... has Tritium in .... Swiss Made etc... is Luminova

These two previous examples are tritiated dials
denzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2011, 04:50 AM   #7
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denzo View Post
Anything with T in such as Swiss - T< 25, T Swiss Made T etc ... has Tritium in .... Swiss Made etc... is Luminova

These two previous examples are tritiated dials
Yes, I understand completely regarding the branding of the dial either being "swiss", "swiss made" or anything with "T < 25". However, sometimes it is difficult to tell if the dial is original and the hands are service replacement hands. IMHO, there are 5 different scenarios:

Dial/hands original
Dial/hands service replacement both tritium
Dial/hands service replacement both SL
Dial original, Hands service replacement SL
Dial original, Hands service replacement Tritium

I doubt that the hands would be original with a service replacement dial. I guess ultimately I still believe that the hands are SL service replacement and the dial is original.

If this is the case, I am trying to decide what to do.......any input would be appreciated.

Should I:

--Leave the watch "as is"
--Send it to Kent Parks for a Relume so that the hands/dial match (I realize this will lower value)
--Watch ebay and try to pick up a matching set of hands/dial, or try to find a supplier here in USA
--Send it to someone for replacement of hands/dial/bezel insert with modern service replacement Luminova

I just don't know what I should do. Ultimately, I really like the watch, and it keeps fantastic time. It just had a service from a Rolex certified watchmaker. Honestly, it keeps ~ +1sec/day.

For some reason I feel unsettled

Please someone give me some input??

PLEXI IS SEXY
Old 4 March 2011, 07:10 AM   #8
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
I can tell you, I have a newer 1680 (78-79) and have absolutely no glow whatsoever. I would try to find original dial and hands from a reputable supplier. Changing to luminova or reluming, IMHO, seriously devalues the watch.

Last edited by lhanddds; 4 March 2011 at 07:17 AM.. Reason: Left out something I wanted to say
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2011, 07:31 AM   #9
Paracentesis
Banned

Watch: Tissot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
If your watch has Luminova or Tritium hands? I have a 3.3m 5513 ( 1971-72 ) that has hands that seem "VERY clean" for this era watch. At first, I thought that they were probably SL hands because they didn't seem to match the patina of the dial. I still think that they are replacement hands, but now I am wondering if possibly they were replaced in the 80s to 90s....... Is there an easy way to tell? Both the dial and the hands glow a little when exposed to light.
I am not an expert, but my understanding is that Tritium from that long ago will have absolutely no glow at all by now. So I think you can say for certain that they are not Tritium. So they must be Luminova.
Paracentesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2011, 07:55 AM   #10
denzo
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 116234 Roman N
I have a Submariner from 1989-90 with Swiss - T<25 and I have no glow at all from dial or hands ... I had to get the bezel insert changed at recent service and it has a new pearl - the pearl glows slightly ... wish that RSC wold have kept original pearl
denzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2011, 10:12 AM   #11
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3570.50
I won't have a watch that I can't read the hands of at night. The hour markers on the dial? I'm a little bit more ambivalent about that. If you do a dial, I question the logic of not swapping hands to match.

I broke the crystal on my Daytona about 4 years ago, and one of the shards got between the hour hand and the dial and scratched it. RSC asked if I wanted new hands and dial - I said clock hands only - no subdial hands, and leave the dial alone. You can only see the blemish with a loupe. The hands glow nicely, but the tritium dial is almost gone. My 19018 has fresh hands and a totally dead dial.

I had my 17013 OQ serviced about a year after the Daytona. The hands were looking ratty, and the lume was practically non-existent. I wanted a blue dial instead of champagne, so I had the RSC swap everything out for new. That dude glows like crazy now.

My new Speedy rivals my II-C for lume, and has a larger dial to boot.

DD OysterQuartz
Brietling Aero
Omega Speedmaster Pro
GTS Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2011, 11:16 AM   #12
Saxon007
"TRF" Member

You could post a WTB here: http://www.network54.com/Forum/207673/

You should probably post a photo of your watch with a description of the lume on your dial to see if someone has a set that will be a close match.

If the hands barely glow they are probably old tritium service hands. They are very clean and its a great looking watch, I think I would probably just leave it that way.
Old 4 March 2011, 11:01 PM   #13
Clay
Banned

Jason,

Please do not relume the dial.......

If it bothers you, then keep a look out for a nice set of matching tritium hands....