The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 7 March 2011, 08:28 PM   #1
Narensfeast4ureyes
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 5508
Would like any comments if anyone has seen this dial on any 5508 before ?

Greetings,,, as this is my second post ...these shots are of my 5508 in the condition in which it was bought as well as well with 3 Tudors from a collector overs 15 years ago...in all the years surfing the net i have not come across an example like this and due to several factors feel it may have been used as a proto type in use for dept rating. I'm sure the makers are Radium as a green hue is vibrant and just little exposer to light makes the light up. i have the rivited bracelet but as you can see on a Tessurflex(flat) Stainless made in Italy bracelet with attached Aquastar water temp dial.
Ive seen a combination like this a while back in a pics from Jauque Costou crew but cannot seem to find that photo as it was save on another computer and no longer have access... any comments would be appreciated as i'm not an expert and would like to know if this maybe a true rarity..
i could only upload these two pic..due to errors horrors
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0207.jpg (93.9 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0217.jpg (61.1 KB, 144 views)
Narensfeast4ureyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2011, 08:02 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
It appears to me that this dial has been refinished at some point in it's life...
Old 8 March 2011, 08:04 AM   #3
kyle L
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
It appears to me that this dial has been refinished at some point in it's life...
+1, still a very nice and wearable watch though. The aquastar is cool!
kyle L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2011, 08:05 AM   #4
Yazo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Interesting...........
Yazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2011, 08:08 AM   #5
Michael M.
Banned

Looks like a refinished dial, still anice watch though!
Michael M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2011, 08:57 AM   #6
HL65

Watch: One on my wrist.
Definitely looks refinished to me as well--as long as you knew this going into it as I am sure price reflected it. Enjoy...........

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2011, 09:06 AM   #7
YetiBiker
"TRF" Member

Watch: ..sure, why not?
Ditto..refinished dial. If you are diligent, you can source a dial and insert and restore that watch to its former glory.
YetiBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2011, 09:39 AM   #8
stevemulholland3
Banned

Watch: 1680 18k sub
Almost all of the value on these watches are in the dial..a good dial will definitely cost more than the rest of the watch.
stevemulholland3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2011, 09:57 AM   #9
Narensfeast4ureyes
"TRF" Member

Thanks for your comments so far.. but my issue is this dial with crown and Rolex Oyster in the same line was used in watches made for Military use in Canada from 1940's on... the serieal number is 6 digits starting with 762xxx which from records indicates early 50's or 1951 or 2.
The previous owner passed away many years ago and i bought many watches from his Wife many of which have some kind of Military background ,either Chronos etc...also in the collection was a rare Breitling Top Time 810-24 which is made for pilots the 24 hour movement is based on hr hand one 360 from 12 to 12 is slowed to reflect 24 hours...
Again I'm stumped that if it was a redail would radium be used. This Watch has never been back to Rolex so that is why it remains in condition "as is" i know the previous owner did all of his own oiling as i have a many tools and the like....
If anyone can suggest anyone i could consult ...i don't want to right it off as a redail so quick unless it makes sence to mak ethat conclusion. But from the time i've had this and what i know about the early days when Rolex was working with Italian makers of other famous dive watches if feel this may have been one of the first Subs that was in use to test dept rating... as you will see in the photo i first posted this was part of a entire collection including many other names all Swiss Automatics.
Old 8 March 2011, 10:18 AM   #10
Narensfeast4ureyes
"TRF" Member

Needs more investigation as this may be one of the first Subs

some other pics 5508 photo with no light shows the Radium Glow and had to throw in the Trip loc. Snowflake which is my personal daily Time keeper...bought from same source.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg naren8g card2010pics 454.jpg (27.8 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg naren8g card2010pics 456.jpg (45.0 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg naren8g card2010pics 436.jpg (68.3 KB, 114 views)
Old 8 March 2011, 10:18 AM   #11
Tools

You have a bit of a pickle on your hands...

The 5508 (if that is a 5508 case), came out in ~1958 and was a follow-on to the 6536/1 Sub. It should have a 1530 movement in it.

My humble research would indicate a date of ~1962 for that serial (The original Sub didn't come out until '53). That could be confirmed with a look inside the caseback where the reference number and the date (II62) should be stamped..

The Sub did go from a gilt dial to the white in the mid-60's.. but whites should have the depth rating on the dial.. so, again, that backs it into the eary 60's.. but you have surrounds... pushing it into late 60's... So, it is a bit of a conundrum and may need an expert to judge..

However, even an aged dial wouldn't have such a poor inking of the font.. The coronet looks like a blob.. Either your camera skills need work, or the watch has had work, or it is a very poorly made dial from Rolex... You don't show the whole dial, but it should say "Swiss" at the bottom..
Old 8 March 2011, 10:46 AM   #12
Narensfeast4ureyes
"TRF" Member

Larry great feedback...my next step is to get photos with back off and get more details to follow. from what understand the swiss marking was manditory in late 60's ...this has no swiss indication. Whem i first made eye contact with the watch thought it was a fake due to the blotched stamped crown and of course the font with Rolex Oyster in the same line. I know it is a real deal but never asked about movements or any other details from my guy that does my servicing .His only comments was he's never seen the likes of this kind of 5508.
Old 8 March 2011, 11:22 AM   #13
Narensfeast4ureyes
"TRF" Member

Seriel number issue for my 5508

PHP Code:
My humble research would indicate a date of ~1962 for that serial (The original Sub didn't come out until '53). That could be confirmed with a look inside the caseback where the reference number and the date (II62should be stamped.. 
by Larry.
Just a follow up i just went to the ref. page. and this is my discovery serial numbers that date to 1962 start with the number 763663.
My 5508 is just under that date which brings us looking at numbers frim 1951 starting with number 710776. My 5508 has the number 7627xx.
This is why i noted the early date as posted.
until back is removed and more details .....still supports my dream....bubble still not Busted...
Old 8 March 2011, 11:25 AM   #14
Narensfeast4ureyes
"TRF" Member

hi larry i posted some details on your comments re: serial numbers 1962 im not the best at these features on posting yet as you can tell no spell check...please check out my reply and looking to seee you comments
Old 8 March 2011, 11:26 AM   #15
TimeToGo
2024 Pledge Member

Welcome to the Forum!

Can't wait to read and learn more about it!
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2011, 11:44 AM   #16
Narensfeast4ureyes
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the welcome....great Forum all comments very appreciated and makes a humble newcomer feel part of the family...
Old 8 March 2011, 02:29 PM   #17
Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narensfeast4ureyes View Post
PHP Code:
My humble research would indicate a date of ~1962 for that serial (The original Sub didn't come out until '53). That could be confirmed with a look inside the caseback where the reference number and the date (II62should be stamped.. 
by Larry.
Just a follow up i just went to the ref. page. and this is my discovery serial numbers that date to 1962 start with the number 763663.
My 5508 is just under that date which brings us looking at numbers frim 1951 starting with number 710776. My 5508 has the number 7627xx.
This is why i noted the early date as posted.
until back is removed and more details .....still supports my dream....bubble still not Busted...
Naren,
You are incorrectly interpreting the serial chart... which is understandable as they appear to be authoritative... They are not..

1st. No chart can give you an exact serial that a specific year started at (those charts that specify that a serial/model started or ended at exactly one number/date are just wrong).... They are just samples based on known examples that have been verified to help researchers narrow down their data.. I will go out on a limb and say that if your number is just under what you saw, then 1962 is likely the year - but it could be 1961.. If you have a 62 stamp inside the caseback, then yours becomes a data point for a chart telling us that they were produced at earlier serials than the one you saw listed....

2nd. There were no Subs before 1953, and they didn't look anything like the one you have...

3rd. You have, potentially, a very valuable Sub. But I think that somebody has repainted the font on the dial at some point; this is practically confirmed if the "Swiss" is missing because it was frequently just taken off rather than re-done...

4th. This Sub will be very expensive to restore.. an original dial can cost more than a new Sub, and the insert too ..

5. You can have a serviceable early Sub if you don't mind a professionally refinished dial... Contact a quality restoration expert such as Bob Ridley in Texas to provide you with some direction and options...