The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 15 February 2020, 07:15 AM   #1
mg Barcelona
Banned

3186 movement question

Folks, I have a 16570 with the 3186.(I hope) When I don't wear it for a while and I pick it up the second hand starts moving with very little movement of the watch. This is in contrast to my other Rolex pieces which seem to take a bit more shaking to get going. I know this is not an exact science but can anyone chime in to clarify that the 3186 second hand does not take much of a shake?
mg Barcelona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 08:30 PM   #2
jbglx
"TRF" Member

Varies from one watch to another , also if the watch has been serviced recently , could react before than a watch that hasnīt have a service from some time . Yo say (Ihope) , do the wiggle test , and find out if itīs a 3186 or 3185 .
jbglx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 08:39 PM   #3
Hotrod297
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
I no longer have my batman with the 3186, but I recall it didn't take much of a shake. A quick wave of the hand it'll start moving. I think your watch may need a service. Probably just a simple cleaning & lubrication.
Old 21 February 2020, 08:56 PM   #4
mg Barcelona
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbglx View Post
Varies from one watch to another , also if the watch has been serviced recently , could react before than a watch that hasnīt have a service from some time . Yo say (Ihope) , do the wiggle test , and find out if itīs a 3186 or 3185 .
I'm sure it's the 3186, no wiggle and an M serial. I am surprised that the second hand moves within a shake or 2 after picking it up. I was just wondering what other 3186 people thought in comparison to theirs. I must admit that I had a doubt about the watch as it did not seem normal.
Old 22 February 2020, 01:50 AM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg Barcelona View Post
Folks, I have a 16570 with the 3186.(I hope) When I don't wear it for a while and I pick it up the second hand starts moving with very little movement of the watch. This is in contrast to my other Rolex pieces which seem to take a bit more shaking to get going. I know this is not an exact science but can anyone chime in to clarify that the 3186 second hand does not take much of a shake?
As for shaking to start some will tick strait away while other will not,but its always best to start any stopped watch by winding by the winding crown thats whats its for winding the watch.If its got a 3185 for one complete crown turn the second time zone hand will jump around 5-6 hours, on the 3186 around 8-9 hours,but little difference in both movements so know big deal either way.The first introduction 3186 did have a few problems but later rectified by Rolex given the choice myself prefer the 3185.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 02:12 AM   #6
mg Barcelona
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
As for shaking to start some will tick strait away while other will not,but its always best to start any stopped watch by winding by the winding crown thats whats its for winding the watch.If its got a 3185 for one complete crown turn the second time zone hand will jump around 5-6 hours, on the 3186 around 8-9 hours,but little difference in both movements so know big deal either way.The first introduction 3186 did have a few problems but later rectified by Rolex given the choice myself prefer the 3185.
great stuff, I've decided it's going in for service in the next few weeks, I want the peace of mind of a Rolex once over.
Old 5 March 2020, 09:43 PM   #7
jbglx
"TRF" Member

mg Barcelona , I have a G series 3186 . I just let my watch ran out of power , after that , a couple of "shakes" was enough to start the watch . Mine had a serviced last year at RSC . Itīs not cheap around USD570 !

Last edited by jbglx; 5 March 2020 at 09:45 PM.. Reason: add comment
Old 5 March 2020, 10:30 PM   #8
mg Barcelona
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbglx View Post
mg Barcelona , I have a G series 3186 . I just let my watch ran out of power , after that , a couple of "shakes" was enough to start the watch . Mine had a serviced last year at RSC . Itīs not cheap around USD570 !
great Juan, thanks for that feedback, it puts my mind at rest.
Old 7 March 2020, 12:39 AM   #9
jimmytamp
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Tudor, IWC,
Quote:

I have both 16710 with 3185 & 16570 with 3186 and I did the test as explained by padi56.

Yes my 16570 gives around 8-9 hours jump for one complete crown rotation.

Cheers...

https://www.instagram.com/fliegerb777/
Old 7 March 2020, 04:37 AM   #10
mg Barcelona
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmytamp View Post
I have both 16710 with 3185 & 16570 with 3186 and I did the test as explained by padi56.

Yes my 16570 gives around 8-9 hours jump for one complete crown rotation.

Cheers...

https://www.instagram.com/fliegerb777/
I appreciate the feedback is posted in good faith by yourself, what Peter was talking about was completely different from the original question and already quite well known in these circles, 3185 v 3186, thank you anyway.
Old 19 April 2020, 10:46 AM   #11
foxlovefish
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi, notes 3186 comes from the Year 2005 in GMT.
Does 16570 G(2010-11) will likely have that spring issue or the issue had been fixed in GMT already?

thanks
foxlovefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2020, 11:40 AM   #12
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg Barcelona View Post
. . . I know this is not an exact science but can anyone chime in to clarify that the 3186 second hand does not take much of a shake?

It doesn't have anything to do with the seconds hand; that is just a representation of the balance moving. The balance is the same lever-action balance found in the 3185 and other movements.

If everything is properly oiled free of friction, almost any movement will begin the hairspring oscillation, the balance will tick-tock, and the seconds hand will show that movement.

Frequently a watch will run down until it no longer has enough "power" to overcome the total friction of the interacting parts, but the mainspring may still be applying torque to the geartrain.

Even a little movement will slip the pallet stone off the escapment tooth and start the ticking process for a short time, until friction, once again, overcomes available torque.
Old 7 May 2020, 09:02 PM   #13
jbglx
"TRF" Member

Hi mg Barcelona , did you took it to the RSC ?

Last edited by jbglx; 7 May 2020 at 09:10 PM.. Reason: misspelling