The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 11 June 2009, 07:46 AM   #1
Bluesman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 50th ann
Rolex in Star trek

I was just watching a re-run of the original 60s Star Trek episode from season 2, titled "Assignment Earth". This has agent Gary Seven in it, and the black cat, Isis. There are several scenes where you get a close-up of his wristwatch, and I'm fairly certain it is a Rolex Submariner of that period, which would be 1967 or maybe '68. You see a lot of Rolex mentions in the old movies, but I think this one may be a first for the original Star Trek series. You can see the episodes online in their full-length format, about 50 minutes each, at www.CBS.com/ Check it out and let me know if you agree. Enjoy!
Old 12 June 2009, 03:31 AM   #2
doc_colton
"TRF" Member

I noticed it too. I believe it's a "root beer" GMT Master. I think I'm spending too much time watching TV.......
Old 12 June 2009, 03:56 AM   #3
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16753; Bellini Dia
I am normally a bit of a WIS when it comes to wrist watches in the movies (TV), and as a confermed - out of the closit trecker, i am surprised i never noticed any wrist watch in Star trek, let alone a Rolex!

Great find,

I was watching Roadhouse last night, and i am sure most of the watches worn in this film were Rolex too, at least they had a president bracelet on most of them, and some looked to be Day Dates.?

SS Submariner no date 1992 (sold); SS GMT II 2007 (sold); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (sold); SS Sub C 2011 (sold); BB GMT 1971 (sold); Omega 50th GMT
Old 13 June 2009, 07:37 PM   #4
C. Davidson
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT (116710)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman View Post

I was just watching a re-run of the original 60s Star Trek episode from season 2, titled "Assignment Earth". This has agent Gary Seven in it, and the black cat, Isis. There are several scenes where you get a close-up of his wristwatch, and I'm fairly certain it is a Rolex Submariner of that period, which would be 1967 or maybe '68. You see a lot of Rolex mentions in the old movies, but I think this one may be a first for the original Star Trek series. You can see the episodes online in their full-length format, about 50 minutes each, at www.CBS.com/ Check it out and let me know if you agree. Enjoy!
8 minutes 48 seconds into the show, "Star Trek: Assignment Earth".

A GMT Master with Red and Blue Bezel.
#15,634

"The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge; the ears of the wise seek it out."
Old 8 September 2017, 10:49 AM   #5
Sperry
"TRF" Member

Gary 7, Rolex GMT

Just saw the GMT - Coke, I think - when Gary 7 is breaking out of the containment field with his little precursor to Doctor Who's electronic screwdriver. And when I google ... sure enough, this thread come up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gary 7 rolex.JPG (140.9 KB, 425 views)
Old 8 September 2017, 11:28 AM   #6
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Wow. Eight year old thread.

Star Trek really has some longevity.
Old 8 September 2017, 11:29 AM   #7
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
One of my favorite original Star Trek episodes.
Old 8 September 2017, 11:43 AM   #8
BristolCavendish
Banned

Trekkies. Weren't the original Star Trek episodes based on a timeframe somewhere around the 23rd century?

A few questions arise. (1) What was some guy doing wearing a 250-300 year old Rolex GMT on the Starship Enterprise? Was he the ultimate WIS? (2) Being 'out of town', where did he go for periodic RSC servicing? (3) Given the presumed technological advances of that era, shouldn't he be wearing something a bit more advanced? Even an Apple watch would have been obsolete by then.

A Rolex on the Starship Enterprise might make for an interesting print advertisement. Calling Captain Kirk.
Old 9 September 2017, 01:16 AM   #9
Sperry
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
One of my favorite original Star Trek episodes.
Barbara Babcock, playing the therianthropic cat Isis, does steal the show away from Terri Garr.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg barbara babcock isis star trek.jpg (87.2 KB, 362 views)
Old 9 September 2017, 01:17 AM   #10
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
One of my favorite episodes.
Old 9 September 2017, 07:20 AM   #11
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Time traveler.
Old 11 September 2017, 05:16 AM   #12
NDAzone
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust41 MoP
Perhaps that Rolex was a family heirloom, passed down through the generations... for 300 years.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk
Old 11 September 2017, 05:25 AM   #13
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Wow. Eight year old thread.

Star Trek really has some longevity.
Star Trek is serious business.
Old 11 September 2017, 07:31 AM   #14
BristolCavendish
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
Star Trek is serious business.
This is kind of cool (if a Bluetooth user).

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/jmgi/
Old 12 September 2017, 04:30 AM   #15
Lamone
Banned

Watch: ya mawt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRider View Post
One of my favorite episodes.
Me too along with DS9 'little green men'.
Old 12 September 2017, 05:04 AM   #16
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Speaking of Star Trek, did any of you catch The Orville last night? The critics hated it, but most viewers seemed to enjoy it.

There are so many little things that are a rip off of ST, but it's all done is a very funny way, IMO. I really enjoyed it and hope the show doesn't get canceled.

I hate to say it, but The Orville seems like it will be much more enjoyable than ST Discovery (which looks awful!!!).
Old 12 September 2017, 05:17 AM   #17
BristolCavendish
Banned

Star Trek = a pioneering concept. Star Trek: The Next Generation = perfection. The subsequent variants were more along the lines of 'taking it to the bank' although I did enjoy Star Trek: Voyageur from time to time.

As far as Seth MacFarlane is concerned, he's made a killing on farcical representations (i.e. Ted, A Million Ways to Die in the West and now Orville). Sometimes he has a way of extending the satirical/comedic element a bit too much but who am I to say?
Old 12 September 2017, 05:22 AM   #18
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolCavendish View Post
Star Trek = a pioneering concept. Star Trek: The Next Generation = perfection. The subsequent variants were more along the lines of 'taking it to the bank' although I did enjoy Star Trek: Voyageur from time to time.

As far as Seth MacFarlane is concerned, he's made a killing on farcical representations (i.e. Ted, A Million Ways to Die in the West and now Orville). Sometimes he has a way of extending the satirical/comedic element a bit too much but who am I to say?
I am as big of a fan as they come so I get what you're saying (though I'd have to say that DS9 was superior to TNG), but a little parody is never a bad thing. I think most ST fans would actually enjoy The Orville.

You have to remember, Seth is a huge fan. He was even in an episode of Enterprise!
Old 12 September 2017, 05:34 AM   #19
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
Would a self-winding watch wind itself enough to keep going in zero-gravity space? Discuss.
Old 12 September 2017, 05:46 AM   #20
Pix
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Datejust
As William Shatner said on SNL "Get a Life"
Old 12 September 2017, 06:01 AM   #21
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollister View Post
Would a self-winding watch wind itself enough to keep going in zero-gravity space? Discuss.
Discuss what? It winds by arm movement and inertia. Gravity has nothing to do with it.
Old 5 March 2020, 08:49 AM   #22
kkt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Connie cal. 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolCavendish View Post
Trekkies. Weren't the original Star Trek episodes based on a timeframe somewhere around the 23rd century?

A few questions arise. (1) What was some guy doing wearing a 250-300 year old Rolex GMT on the Starship Enterprise? Was he the ultimate WIS? (2) Being 'out of town', where did he go for periodic RSC servicing? (3) Given the presumed technological advances of that era, shouldn't he be wearing something a bit more advanced? Even an Apple watch would have been obsolete by then.

A Rolex on the Starship Enterprise might make for an interesting print advertisement. Calling Captain Kirk.
At the risk of replying to a thread in which the original participants are in nursing homes by now... in this episode Kirk and the Enterprise went back in time to 1968. The Rolex GMT was being worn by Gary Seven, who was not part of the Enterprise crew or from Star Trek's time. He was human, from a colony of humans working together with an advanced civilization about 1000 light years from earth, who were intervening in Earth at a critical time using the humans as agents to keep the arms race from getting out of control. They had some advanced tech, but used normal earth suits and watches from 1968 in order to blend in.

Also it turns out that the woman in the photo, Isis in human form, was not played by Barbara Babcock. That's April Tatro, better known as a contortionist than an actress. Babcock did the voice for the Beta Five computer and the meows and other cat sounds made by Isis when she was in cat form. There's a fan page about how they discovered this and the call sheets to prove it if you search for "Isis actress from assignment earth".

As for service, piece of cake. They had several undercover agents on earth, and they weren't time travelers. They would have had the Rolexes serviced by one of their agents in a major city with a watchmaker.

Now my question is, is this GMT a 1575 or 1675?

And why is Star Trek the original series filming such a pricey watch? Usually they had a shoestring budget. Is this Robert Lansing's own watch? Did they rent one, and if so why was it important for Gary Seven to rock a Rolex?
Old 5 March 2020, 01:38 PM   #23
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Big Rose
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkt View Post
And why is Star Trek the original series filming such a pricey watch? Usually they had a shoestring budget. Is this Robert Lansing's own watch? Did they rent one, and if so why was it important for Gary Seven to rock a Rolex?
A 1675 in 1968 would have cost about $250.

While that was a lot of money in those days, the price of gold being $35/oz., it wouldn't be a lot for successful actor or producer, or director.

Sean Connery wore a producer's Sub in the famous Bond movie, so I would guess that the GMT was owned either by the actor or someone on the set.

Just by reading the synopsis of the story, it seems to me that the GMT would have been the perfect watch the character as described.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
Old 5 March 2020, 01:49 PM   #24
sickened1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ugiveiswatchuget
Holy necro. Who resurrected this thread from 2009?
Closed Thread