The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 9 December 2019, 10:18 PM   #1
Kettlekid
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Watch Winders.....

What are your opinions on watch winders, is there any point in having them?

Is the main purpose of having one for people who have a collection so therefore would not need to set time and dates when choosing a different piece to wear?

Or is it to keep all of their movements continuously moving instead of constantly stopping and re winding every time? Is it true that lubricants inside the movement can harden if they are left to stop frequently or is this just a myth?

Many thanks

KK
Kettlekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 10:23 PM   #2
MTBer
"TRF" Member

In before someone belittles you for having two perfectly good watch winders attached to your body

Practically speaking, you’re quite possible trading some useable service life for the convenience of not having to reset the watch as often. Then again, who’s to say you’re not better off wearing out the movement rather than the crown and threads (which may affect water resistance) by resetting the watch more often?
MTBer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 10:28 PM   #3
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
IMHO, they aren’t necessary unless you are too lazy to set your watch.

I guess if you had a collection of annual calendars, but still ...
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 10:40 PM   #4
royerlich
"TRF" Member

I bought this for 100 dollars from amazon. Does exactly the same thing as a 1000$ one.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
royerlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 10:42 PM   #5
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
I have a black Porsche Chrono from 1975 that I bought new. I wore it occasionally over the years and one day after 30 years it stopped working. Sent it to Porsche design in Germany and it was serviced and running great. I bought a winder and a few years later, it stopped again. That was 2015. I went back to wearing it occasionally as I do all my watches and it’s still ticking away. Moral of the story, I don’t use winders anymore...
Old 9 December 2019, 10:58 PM   #6
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Look at the brand Wolf and Orbita. As far as opinions, I have used them for over 20 years. I have a multi head custom setup now.
I have a well documented TT Sub that ran non stop for 15 years either on my wrist or on the winder and never needed a routine service the entire time. When I did send it in for a routine service, the watch required nothing more and no additional wear was indicated fro running non-stop for over 15 years.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 11:22 PM   #7
LooseCann0n
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,Pepsi,SD4K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlekid View Post

Is the main purpose of having one for people who have a collection so therefore would not need to set time and dates when choosing a different piece to wear?

KK

This. For lazy people (like me) that like the convenience of not having to reset the watch after not wearing for longer than a few days.

I just want to pick up my watch in the morning and know that it is wound and ready to go.
Also if you have left your watch such that there is minimal power left, the accuracy can be affected (unless you have a remontoir or similar).

Plus they are cheaply available so the cost is worth the (admittedly small) time savings and hassle of resetting.
Service wise, there is probably negligible advantages as the extra wear on the movement side is cancelled out by the reduced wear on the crown side and oils drying issues.
I don’t care about that aspect as will send for service when needed and not aim to eke out the maximum interval between services.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LooseCann0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 11:33 PM   #8
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
I used them years ago (buy Wolf if you get one) but found out eventually I like pulling a watch out and going through the ritual of setting it and winding it. Just one of those watch things I enjoy.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 11:36 PM   #9
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
If you need a certain watch on a daily basis then it's not a bad idea to keep it on a winder when it's off the wrist so it doesn't accidentally stop.

If you are trying to rotate watches and only wear them occasionally them it's better to let them run down and reset them as opposed to keeping them running causing greater wear.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 11:49 PM   #10
GsurgBM
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough
Great pieces to keep your collection in. Recently scored a wolf Baron winder at 40% off on cyber Monday. I’ll take pics when it arrives. Also have a wolf regent and some roadsters. Love em.

Old 9 December 2019, 11:55 PM   #11
Rjongco
"TRF" Member

I use one. Like the convenience of not having to set my watches
Rjongco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 11:56 PM   #12
Kettlekid
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
That looks excellent Brad, you have great taste my friend impressive collection!
Kettlekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2019, 12:00 AM   #13
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Look at the brand Wolf and Orbita. As far as opinions, I have used them for over 20 years. I have a multi head custom setup now.
I have a well documented TT Sub that ran non stop for 15 years either on my wrist or on the winder and never needed a routine service the entire time. When I did send it in for a routine service, the watch required nothing more and no additional wear was indicated fro running non-stop for over 15 years.
Thanks. Finally some useful information rather than just speculation.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2019, 12:03 AM   #14
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Unless you have perpetual calendars, they are just toys for your toys.

They are like buying your dog, dog sweaters.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2019, 12:17 AM   #15
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
IMHO, they aren’t necessary unless you are too lazy to set your watch.

I guess if you had a collection of annual calendars, but still ...
Have to agree unless you have lost the use of your fingers, or have a watch with many many complications IMHO a waste of money.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2019, 12:26 AM   #16
Ian Macdermott
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by royerlich View Post
I bought this for 100 dollars from amazon. Does exactly the same thing as a 1000$ one.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
I employ several lackeys to wear my watches one on each wrist, that way they are always ready to wear.

I got a similar one off flea bay for £45 delivered seems to work fine and performs its intended purpose of keeping 4 watches wound.
Old 10 December 2019, 01:53 AM   #17
DoxaDavid
"TRF" Member

I used to use one but then had the epiphany I was taking a security risk having my collection exposed sitting on my dresser not locked up. I could get battery powered winders that would work in my safe but decided not worth the hassle.

I’m not sold on the use of a winder would cause additional wear on any watch with the kinds of lubricants used today. If you really don’t want to wind them, use one.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues. " Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865
DoxaDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2019, 01:57 AM   #18
LooseCann0n
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,Pepsi,SD4K
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoxaDavid View Post
I could get battery powered winders that would work in my safe but decided not worth the hassle.

Seems like you need a bigger safe - one with the ability to have power supply inside. :)

LooseCann0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2019, 04:26 AM   #19
DoxaDavid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseCann0n View Post
Seems like you need a bigger safe - one with the ability to have power supply inside. :)

It's pretty bloody big now at 600lbs!

It could have power on the inside but still wouldn't be big enough to house all the watches if on winders.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues. " Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865
DoxaDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2019, 04:50 AM   #20
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust II
I have a quad winder sitting in my closet unused, if someone in the local area ( Houston Tx ) wants it feel free to pm me and you can have it

I got it awhile back and used it a very short time but realized I like winding and setting my watches, now if you have some type of complicated perpetual watch that requires a lot to set then maybe a winder is for you bu me I don’t need one
Citizens Eco-Drive BL1258-53L Rolex DJII 116334, Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79230R Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 231.13.43.22.02.004 Ulysse Nardin Marine Torpilleur 1183.310/40 MAS Irukandji Vostok Komandirskie B&R BR0392-D-G-BR/SCA Vostok Komandirskie (Tank) South Bend Model 1 #716632 Vostok Amphibia (Sub)
Rolexoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2019, 05:02 AM   #21
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Did you try using the SEARCH function, this has been discussed to death many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many times.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2019, 08:37 AM   #22
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Did you try using the SEARCH function, this has been discussed to death many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many times.

I think what ETM is trying to say is “welcome to the forum”.

Actually think the OP has received some otherwise helpful and surprisingly civil advice. Watch winders are a preference, not an essential. As with most preferences opinions vary in value and intensity.

Get one if you like it; no FOMO if you don’t. No harm will come either way as long as you stick with a quality winder. Some cheaper ones may magnetize your watch - but even then it’s more inconvenience than harm.

Agree with the suggestions of Wolf and Orbita.

And.... welcome to the forum.
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2019, 10:32 PM   #23
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
I think what ETM is trying to say is “welcome to the forum”.
Yes, that was my intention
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2019, 03:09 AM   #24
keithl
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
If you have an automatic watch with a date complication and your watch wearing frequency require you to reset your watch more than once a week definitely buy a good quality winder and keep it going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlekid View Post
What are your opinions on watch winders, is there any point in having them?

Or is it to keep all of their movements continuously moving instead of constantly stopping and re winding every time? Is it true that lubricants inside the movement can harden if they are left to stop frequently or is this just a myth?

Many thanks

KK
keithl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2019, 03:13 AM   #25
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
If you ask me they are a waste of time, space and money, unless you have some ultra complicated watch with moon phase, etc. that is a pain to set.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2019, 04:09 AM   #26
keithl
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
If you ask me they are a waste of time, space and money, unless you have some ultra complicated watch with moon phase, etc. that is a pain to set.
The only repairs I've ever needed on my modern watches have been "keyless works" issues and this can be avoided by not constantly setting the watch and messing with the stem.

Also, has anyone ever been gifted a quality watch that has been sitting for decades that actually ran and kept decent time? These watches are made to run.
keithl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2019, 04:23 AM   #27
Beauregard
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116719BLRO
Wolf Cub.

Small, affordable, minimal.
Old 11 December 2019, 11:27 AM   #28
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust II
This is not intended to hijack the thread but I have a Heiden Quad Winder in the closet that’s perfect and free to anyone close to me just pm me and it’s yours, if someone outside my local area wants it’s all I ask is cover shipping and I would guess in the CONUS shipping would be $30 or so due to the size of box I would have to put it in.
Citizens Eco-Drive BL1258-53L Rolex DJII 116334, Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79230R Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 231.13.43.22.02.004 Ulysse Nardin Marine Torpilleur 1183.310/40 MAS Irukandji Vostok Komandirskie B&R BR0392-D-G-BR/SCA Vostok Komandirskie (Tank) South Bend Model 1 #716632 Vostok Amphibia (Sub)
Rolexoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2019, 12:48 PM   #29
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Watch Winders.....

15202, complete pain in the ass with no quickset date and a small crown that easily pushes in.

Perpetual calendar.

Change watches more than once/day in some cases.

There are lots of reasons that winders can be convenient. I have a small collection, and a winder that fits them all. It is nice to just grab and go.

This 8 watch Volta was a gift from my wife. Around $2k, I think.

bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 01:48 AM   #30
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobernet View Post
15202, complete pain in the ass with no quickset date and a small crown that easily pushes in.

Perpetual calendar.

Change watches more than once/day in some cases.

There are lots of reasons that winders can be convenient. I have a small collection, and a winder that fits them all. It is nice to just grab and go.

This 8 watch Volta was a gift from my wife. Around $2k, I think.

Always the problem with more than one watch. You never know REALLY what time it is. First world problems.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote