The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 3 October 2023, 08:39 AM   #1
buddenfan
Banned

What’s so special about H.Moser Streamliner?

Aside from the unusual and quite awesome bracelet design the case shape is kinda meg and the dials arent anything special just fume color. So why the hype? So many better options as that price point
buddenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2023, 08:44 AM   #2
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Which models did the AD show you?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2023, 09:09 AM   #3
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

I think everyone is looking for the next Nautilus or Royal Oak.
Seems like every steel watch with an integral band or least a thin band gets hyped.
HM Streamliner, PF Tonda Micro Rotor, ALS Ulysses, Christoper Ward 12, etc.
MILGAUSS88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2023, 09:32 AM   #4
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILGAUSS88 View Post
I think everyone...
Speaking for myself, prefer whatever I prefer... which is not the two you mention. Had the Aqua (his AND hers mechanical, actually) when no one wtd it ($17k and $12k new sealed) and sold 'em both years ago before the hype. I do agree that integrated bracelets as a style have grown stronger in recent years.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 3 October 2023, 10:48 AM   #5
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddenfan View Post
Aside from the unusual and quite awesome bracelet design the case shape is kinda meg and the dials arent anything special just fume color. So why the hype? So many better options as that price point

Genuinely curious what better options are you referring to? It’s a nicely finished watch probably comparable to an AP RO. The bracelet is super nice and supple. I’m sure there are other watches that you and others subjectively prefer, which makes sense, but what are the “so many better options at that price point” that you’re referring to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
usmc_k9_vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2023, 11:17 AM   #6
buddenfan
Banned

Quote:
Seems like every steel watch with an integral band or least a thin band gets hyped.
Not a fan of the Nautilus or RO
Old 3 October 2023, 11:42 AM   #7
FrugalGreubel
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Voutilainen (2030)
Quote:
I don’t have one yet because I’m holding out hope for a purple dial version. That being said I’ve seen them in person and as you said the bracelet design is awesome. I actually love the case shape and the fume dials are fun. It comes down to personal preference and as far as steel sports watches go I think it’s good for the price point. It’s also nice that’s secondary prices aren’t terrible like the Royal Oak or Nautilus.

Last edited by FrugalGreubel; 3 October 2023 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: Spelling
FrugalGreubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2023, 03:07 PM   #8
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

TBH nothing special about it. Tried one and it's another integrated bracelet "sports" watch in a see of integrated bracelet "sports" watches.
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2023, 03:38 PM   #9
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Quote:
I agree, or looking for a more affordable alternative.

Never argue with a fool, as eventually it will be difficult to tell the difference.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2023, 04:50 PM   #10
Ristretto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum Daytona
nothing special about it the Bulgari Octofinissmo is a better alternative
Old 3 October 2023, 06:19 PM   #11
FrugalGreubel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ristretto View Post
nothing special about it the Bulgari Octofinissmo is a better alternative
I really wanted to get one of those for myself, but it sat so awkwardly on my wrist.
Old 3 October 2023, 06:20 PM   #12
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

I much prefer a Streamliner Chrono to a RO chrono or VCO chrono. Lovely movement, much bolder design language and far far more unique. Everyone and their mum know and want a Royal Oak. If you want to be like the rest, buy that. If want something special, I’d get the Moser.
ChetBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2023, 07:03 PM   #13
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
The Moser's bracelet is incredible. The build quality of the watch is incredible. It's also a huge plus that it's an independent brand. That said, it's not for me personally. I don't like how the case of the watch outshoots so drastically from the bracelet. It looks bulbous and is not "integrated" in the sense of looking seamless between case and bracelet, which to me, make integrated bracelet watches look cool.

I respect the watch, but it misses the mark for me. I would agree with an earlier comment that the Octo is a better alternative (except for the fact that it says "Bulgari" on the watch, which I still cant get over).

My 2 cents.
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2023, 07:28 PM   #14
IGY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I really like this attitude.

I am hoping to pick up a previously owned, hardly worn Smoked Salmon Centre Seconds in due course.
IGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2023, 08:26 PM   #15
Mach
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO
Personally, I’m not the biggest fan of the case shape. I went with another alternative:
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2023, 08:46 PM   #16
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Great watch.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2023, 09:22 PM   #17
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach View Post
Personally, I’m not the biggest fan of the case shape. I went with another alternative:

Yeah that dial is killer! Best dials on the Integrated circuit in my opinion. The watch is a little too much of a dressy (Cartier like) aesthetic for my own personal lifestyle. But that’s just a personal preference. It is objectively a beautiful watch.

charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2023, 10:25 PM   #18
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Idk - loving mine

ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2023, 10:47 PM   #19
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

^^^ looks great!

Imho the Streamliner is something you really do **need to see in person**. The case shape and bracelet harmony is very beautiful and elegant. We all know it's well-made, very high-quality, and an exceptional movement. Heck, even the basic Heritage is a wonderful value imho. Plus you don't see them at each and every GTG like other timepieces. H. Moser creates only a couple thousand pieces in total each year, some brands make more than that of just one single model(!).

Old 3 October 2023, 11:37 PM   #20
buddenfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalGreubel View Post
I really wanted to get one of those for myself, but it sat so awkwardly on my wrist.
Cause of the square shape?
Old 4 October 2023, 03:35 AM   #21
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

The Streamliner design is not for everyone. It's a modern take on a 50's Art Deco look, but not everyone is a fan of '50s Art Deco.

The main issue for me is the price for what you get. This is an extremely expensive three hander. While the movement is beautiful and very well made, is it really what you are paying for? I don't think so. The premium is in the case design.

Yeah, I know....I'm basically describing the Nautilus, Aquanaut, and Royal Oak....but these are not exactly a good comparison. Those watches are also hideously overpriced in my opinion for what you are really getting.

Had the Streamliner been $5 to 10k cheaper, then it would be a high-value target for me. But at over $20k retail and $25k on the used market, it's a hard pass.
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2023, 03:56 AM   #22
FrugalGreubel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Cause of the square shape?
Both the shape and thinness. It’s a shame cause I really love the design but it just felt uncomfortable and sat on my wrist in a weird way.
Old 4 October 2023, 04:40 AM   #23
break
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Aside from the quite awesome case shape the Cartier Tank Louis is kinda meh and the dials arent anything special just Roman numerals

I kid, and I don't think the Moser Streamliner's design is as timeless as a Cartier Tank. But "aside from the bracelet" throws out a major part of the watch's appeal. The bracelet is striking in person. Very well-engineered, feeling substantial yet ergonomic. The links have subtly-polished chamfers that glimmer as the bracelet moves.

You can see more in my album of try-on pics: https://imgur.com/a/ldjrhRS

That said Gebbeth said it best:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebbeth View Post
The Streamliner design is not for everyone. It's a modern take on a 50's Art Deco look, but not everyone is a fan of '50s Art Deco.

The main issue for me is the price for what you get. This is an extremely expensive three hander. While the movement is beautiful and very well made, is it really what you are paying for? I don't think so. The premium is in the case design.

Yeah, I know....I'm basically describing the Nautilus, Aquanaut, and Royal Oak....but these are not exactly a good comparison. Those watches are also hideously overpriced in my opinion for what you are really getting.

Had the Streamliner been $5 to 10k cheaper, then it would be a high-value target for me. But at over $20k retail and $25k on the used market, it's a hard pass.
I agree that, at $5 to $10k below MSRP, the three-hand Streamliner would represent tremendous value. Problem is, almost no other timepiece offers that value today. Integrated sports models have become incredibly hyped.

Maybe a preowned Tonda PF Micro Rotor, since they seem to sit on the secondary market? Or a Chopard Alpine Eagle, with its polarizing bracelet and 4:30 date?
break is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2023, 04:44 AM   #24
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

It's different from many of the stainless steel watches available. Another option for buyers. Subjective on whether it's good/great/awesome. But more options for buyers the better given it's no small sum to spend on a timing object.
EdwardC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2023, 05:14 AM   #25
deuxani
"TRF" Member

I’ve tried it on multiple times and you have to experience it in real life to understand it. The bracelet and case finishing are beautiful and the build quality is really good. The dial also is a sight how it plays with light. The price of CHF19.000 is justified in my opinion.
deuxani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2023, 10:25 AM   #26
RolexSimon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Got my Streamliner Chrono before this one - my Chopard Luc due end of 2023/early 2024. Very different watches. Love my Streamliner Chrono.
RolexSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2023, 11:03 AM   #27
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Love this one because of the dial and the no date.

usmc_k9_vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2023, 11:29 AM   #28
RTG
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sky-Dweller
Quote:
You can say the same about any watch or watch brand. If you like it, buy it. If you don’t, then keep looking.

Moser dials are not special just fume did you forget your glasses
RTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2023, 10:14 PM   #29
Giangos
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG BLRO, Sub C, WG
I know inspiration has to come from somewhere.

But this was unexpected for me.

Heavy streamliner/ vantablack vibe from a 40 year old Vacheron.

Giangos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2023, 12:40 AM   #30
deuxani
"TRF" Member

This video showcases really well what the watch looks like in real life and how the details, finishing and dial shine and play with the light:

https://youtu.be/TzRxBn_JMtU?si=Tau5AFDlNXR35dZ4

Given that the Royal Oak and Overseas cost at least 8k more, I would say it’s really well priced too. The design is an acquired taste, but as always it's something subjective.
deuxani is offline   Reply With Quote