The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 8 December 2019, 11:21 AM   #1
RX0
"TRF" Member

VAT purchase

Hi Everyone. I'm planning on buying a Daydate when I'm in London. Can anyone tell me how to claim the VAT if I decide to buy a Rolex in London. Do we claim it in the Rolex AD or claim it at the airport? Thanks.
RX0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 11:24 AM   #2
jamesthejeweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: PLATONA
Depends where your origin is, but usually VAT reclaim is at the port of exit/entry NOT at the AD

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

J-T-J
jamesthejeweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 11:26 AM   #3
RX0
"TRF" Member

I'm from New York
Old 8 December 2019, 11:26 AM   #4
jamesthejeweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: PLATONA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX0 View Post
I'm from New York
See Gov.uk link below

https://www.gov.uk/tax-on-shopping/taxfree-shopping

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

J-T-J
jamesthejeweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 11:51 AM   #5
BigBoy17
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX0 View Post
Hi Everyone. I'm planning on buying a Daydate when I'm in London. Can anyone tell me how to claim the VAT if I decide to buy a Rolex in London. Do we claim it in the Rolex AD or claim it at the airport? Thanks.
Claimed overseas. But then when you land pay the duty with customs since its not that much, few hundred. Better than having it found, and seized.
BigBoy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 12:58 PM   #6
Oreal
"TRF" Member

If buying at a store in the city rather than airport, you’ll need to show the watch and receipts to the VAT office at the London airport when you leave to get all then vat back.

I’ve done this a few times (not for watches) sometimes the refund can be given in cash at the airport, sometimes it has to go back on the credit card by sending the receipts to an EU customs office in Slovenia. I didn’t get the refund in that instance. I was told after that I should make sure when making the purchase that staff ticks/doesn’t tick the right boxes so you can get the vat refund in cash at the airport. My refund was only around £50 so I didn’t mind but for a big purchase make sure you ask that the vat paperwork be such that you’ll collect it in cash upon leaving the country!

(Goods bought at the airport avoid the hoopla and you only pay the vat free price)
Oreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 04:11 PM   #7
ADB85
"TRF" Member

Explain to the AD you're reclaiming the VAT, get the paperwork from the AD, submit it to the VAT reclaim desk (or Travelex desk now at some LHR terminals airside) and either get it credited to your credit card or in cash.

As for what you do when you arrive back in the US I have no idea....
ADB85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 04:26 PM   #8
liberalclown
"TRF" Member

There are two vat claim areas in Heathrow in each terminal, one landslide and one airside, VAT for watch and jewelry are being claimed in airside, once you pass the security. There are two ways of getting the VAT back as well, the best option is working with the AD and billing the VAT in a separate transaction, getting the VAT papers stamped and sending back it to AD to cancel the separate transaction for VAT. This way you can get all %16.67 back. The other way is a straightforward refund, that way Travelex, or whoever is the agent will take a cut, and they will use a unfavorable rate for USD/GBP, this way you can hardly get %11-13 back.

Since you are planning on getting an expensive watch, I am sure the AD will agree to work with you on the first option.

I haven't checked the PMs but most of the ADs didn't even have the OPs when I visited them last week. PMs should be fine though. Cheers!
liberalclown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2019, 09:55 AM   #9
vipergts66
"TRF" Member

Last time I passed through LHR I purchased an Omega from an AD in the terminal.

The price was “post VAT”.
I didn’t have to claim anything at the airport.

Upon landing stateside lucky to make it through customs without a hitch.

Advice with a grain of salt: if customs can’t prove you purchased the watch abroad (unless you’re caught with receipt for the watch) they usually can’t apply duty.

Don’t flash your watch around. They’re usually more worried about tobacco, food, alcohol, or PM watches.
Apple Watch Series 1
vipergts66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2019, 11:56 AM   #10
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoy17 View Post
Claimed overseas. But then when you land pay the duty with customs since its not that much, few hundred. Better than having it found, and seized.

Agree that the paying duty is better path and the honest one to follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2019, 11:59 AM   #11
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
I don't know if in London you need copy of ID or passport at the AD. May want to check so you don't go over there only to find you need a passport ID to reclaim the VAT.
Old 10 December 2019, 12:32 PM   #12
little tomato
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipergts66 View Post
Last time I passed through LHR I purchased an Omega from an AD in the terminal.

The price was “post VAT”.
I didn’t have to claim anything at the airport.

Upon landing stateside lucky to make it through customs without a hitch.

Advice with a grain of salt: if customs can’t prove you purchased the watch abroad (unless you’re caught with receipt for the watch) they usually can’t apply duty.

Don’t flash your watch around. They’re usually more worried about tobacco, food, alcohol, or PM watches.
I bought from an AD at Heathrow on way out in Sept. Reserved ahead of time and price already excludes 20% VAT since I was leaving for US. Had to show passport and provide flight info. Very smooth. You let them know 48 hours ahead of time and the confirm availability and price.
little tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2019, 05:09 PM   #13
ninjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: give me time...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rado63 View Post
I don't know if in London you need copy of ID or passport at the AD. May want to check so you don't go over there only to find you need a passport ID to reclaim the VAT.
In the EU, you need proof of overseas status before they will sell you at tax free. Even though the shop doesn't give you the vat back directly, they won't even do the paperwork for tax-free for you to claim back at the airport without a passport.
Old 10 December 2019, 10:31 PM   #14
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipergts66 View Post

I am curious how you came to this "advice"?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2019, 10:43 PM   #15
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberalclown View Post
There are two vat claim areas in Heathrow in each terminal, one landslide and one airside, VAT for watch and jewelry are being claimed in airside, once you pass the security. There are two ways of getting the VAT back as well, the best option is working with the AD and billing the VAT in a separate transaction, getting the VAT papers stamped and sending back it to AD to cancel the separate transaction for VAT. This way you can get all %16.67 back. The other way is a straightforward refund, that way Travelex, or whoever is the agent will take a cut, and they will use a unfavorable rate for USD/GBP, this way you can hardly get %11-13 back.

Since you are planning on getting an expensive watch, I am sure the AD will agree to work with you on the first option.

I haven't checked the PMs but most of the ADs didn't even have the OPs when I visited them last week. PMs should be fine though. Cheers!
Everything correct except Globalblue or PremierTax (the two agencies who fight for retail) normally do some kickback to the store if they use their services. The agency takes a 1.5-2% "fee" (ultimately you lose that) and then the store gets a little bit. Non-confirmed information, but that should be how it works when they win over businesses.

Rarely you see any shops doing the VAT direct at the shop or letting your post it back to the shop after you've gotten it stamped.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2019, 10:43 PM   #16
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Great idea to be discussing breaking the law on a public forum. I recommend paying any duty due.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2019, 11:05 PM   #17
RX0
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
Great idea to be discussing breaking the law on a public forum. I recommend paying any duty due.
Ok, I'm offended by your msg. So, read carefully before you post respond.

When did I make you a spokesperson of me?

All I ask is how to claimed the VAT which is totally legal and is not a fraud. Never in my post said I won't pay the duty when I return.
Old 10 December 2019, 11:38 PM   #18
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Sorry - was not re your post. Rather those like vipergts66. You certainly did not suggest doing anything wrong.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2019, 03:12 AM   #19
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Buy duty free at airport and avoid vat to begin with if they have your watch in stock.
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2019, 05:50 AM   #20
BigBoy17
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
I am curious how you came to this "advice"?
Yes dont listen to this guys advice at all. Yes they will find out, its there job, they see it everyday. If they want theyll bring you to a patdown room interogate you then Put you in the system with a 99 year end date and to be checked everytime you leave and come back into the country all for some duty and because you lied to a federal officer/agent. Pay your duty and move on
Old 11 December 2019, 01:50 PM   #21
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Better to declare it than risk getting caught. A lot of times, they customs agent won’t even care. They mainly focus on fruits and meats but you don’t want to take that chance of getting the guy who checks everything.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2019, 02:03 PM   #22
BigBoy17
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
Better to declare it than risk getting caught. A lot of times, they customs agent won’t even care. They mainly focus on fruits and meats but you don’t want to take that chance of getting the guy who checks everything.
More bad advice. Food products is agriculture the non law enforcement part. Other foreign countries notify us customs of large purchases.

Smuggling, drugs, human trafficking, terrorism, contraband, checking and clearing every container and basically facilitating the entire trade and economy of the us is only a small part.

If your not declaring, its a form of smuggling especially if your a returning resident.
Old 11 December 2019, 02:46 PM   #23
77T

Quote:

If your not declaring, its a form of smuggling especially if your a returning resident.

No it is not smuggling.

Smuggling goods into the United States is a separate criminal activity 18 U.S. Code § 545 - much different than evading import duties.

If you intentionally leave out items in your declarations upon re-entry to the US, misrepresent their value, or make other false declarations, this can lead to criminal charges. But that is a violation 19 U.S. Code § 1592 - treated as fraud.

Old 11 December 2019, 06:34 PM   #24
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
There is also a service called MIB, whereby you can pay TAX FREE at the AD, however they retain the watch. Then on the day you leave, you go to the airport and after security, the agency passes you the watch. The advantage here is that you get to pay completely tax free at the beginning so no uncertainties or faffing around at the airport. Also, no fees as well, though some ADs may charge a small fee for this service. Some ADs "might" have a minimum spend for this service to be applied, I believe in Harrods its 20 or 25K GBP.
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 01:14 AM   #25
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
More bad advice. Food products is agriculture the non law enforcement part. Other foreign countries notify us customs of large purchases.

Smuggling, drugs, human trafficking, terrorism, contraband, checking and clearing every container and basically facilitating the entire trade and economy of the us is only a small part.

Huh? I basically said declare it and leave it to the discretion of the agent to tax you. Not sure how saying declare your purchases is bad advice. It's been my experience that agents don't always care unless it's food products. They've always been strict on that.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 06:39 AM   #26
BigBoy17
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
No it is not smuggling.

Smuggling goods into the United States is a separate criminal activity 18 U.S. Code § 545 - much different than evading import duties.

If you intentionally leave out items in your declarations upon re-entry to the US, misrepresent their value, or make other false declarations, this can lead to criminal charges. But that is a violation 19 U.S. Code § 1592 - treated as fraud.

Yes its smuggling. Thanks for being a US code keyboard warrior.Lets just say i probably know what im talking about
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 7A5547E1-0409-4956-A3EB-16C0742A2C82.jpeg (56.9 KB, 49 views)
Old 12 December 2019, 07:44 AM   #27
77T

Quote:
Yes its smuggling. Thanks for being a US code keyboard warrior.Lets just say i probably know what im talking about

You picked an internet dictionary to define smuggling?

ok

Even a novice AAG would pick the right section of USC for charging a person who brought in a single watch without declaring it. It’ll be referred to the Tax Division not the Criminal Division.

Old 12 December 2019, 09:19 AM   #28
BigBoy17
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
You picked an internet dictionary to define smuggling?

ok

Even a novice AAG would pick the right section of USC for charging a person who brought in a single watch without declaring it. It’ll be referred to the Tax Division not the Criminal Division.

...buddy its smuggling in any way shape or form you cut it. Dont let this get your panties in a bunch