The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 June 2022, 12:12 AM   #61
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2drt View Post
...I have money to spend but I really don’t need ANYTHING enough to deal with this type of BS. If you want my $20k plus for luxury items then treat me with respect or I will take my business elsewhere. If every place (and they are) continue to treat people like this then so be it. I can find another luxury to spend my disposable income on. It is a watch for gosh sakes.
Genuine question, not intended to offend.

What exactly do you mean by these comments?

You can be treated respectfully and told all three of the conditions the OP mentioned, and the result could still be that there is no watch to sell to you that day/month/year.

Not selling a product to a person is not inherently disrespectful or BS.

I couldn't agree more with your last point though, and honestly I think more people should find something else to buy. It's the only thing that will calm the craziness.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2022, 12:32 AM   #62
askdanny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Clock on my A330
Quote:
Originally Posted by APWhale View Post
So is a Sky-Dweller considered a sports model? Love pressing SAs on this and then when they tell me it is then I point out its listed as a Classic model in the catalogue.
True. There is no such thing as a Sports model at Rolex. It's either Professional or Classic.
Old 24 June 2022, 12:44 AM   #63
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

The OP posted in good faith what he was told and then shared it for other enthusiasts to discuss. The rudeness of some members here is beyond me. I was told a very similar thing by WOS, but any model will be available to all, professional or otherwise. Very different to a small provincial local who said don’t bother asking!
Old 24 June 2022, 01:21 AM   #64
MikePRT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APWhale View Post
So is a Sky-Dweller considered a sports model? Love pressing SAs on this and then when they tell me it is then I point out its listed as a Classic model in the catalogue.

No, the AD considers the Sky D as classic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MikePRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2022, 01:26 AM   #65
MikePRT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S`` View Post
How many rumours have Thorpe gotten right so far? Not many...

How is this a rumour? I merely posted what I had been told, fact. My reference to his video was to highlight as least others had been told the same. On this post other members have confirmed they have been told the same.

Old 24 June 2022, 01:27 AM   #66
Alpine27
"TRF" Member

So how can I become an “existing client” if I cannot buy one?? Sheer madness.
Alpine27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2022, 01:27 AM   #67
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRT View Post
How is this a rumour? I merely posted what I had been told, fact. My reference to his video was to highlight as least others had been told the same. On this post other members have confirmed they have been told the same.

And without any attempt to verify the information from an official source, this is how misinformation spreads.

Good luck
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2022, 01:28 AM   #68
MikePRT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine27 View Post

Existing client restriction in relation only to profession/sports models. You are still able your interest in classic models and purchase a non Rolex watch.

Old 24 June 2022, 01:30 AM   #69
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
The OP posted in good faith what he was told and then shared it for other enthusiasts to discuss. The rudeness of some members here is beyond me. I was told a very similar thing by WOS, but any model will be available to all, professional or otherwise. Very different to a small provincial local who said don’t bother asking!
Agreed. I'm not sure why some will instantly rubbish what someone's been told by their AD.

There is clearly no "one size fits all" policy globally, regionally, or even intra-group when it comes to how pieces are allocated. It seems pretty much every store has their own policy.
Old 24 June 2022, 01:35 AM   #70
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
My AD approves only 1 professional Rolex for 1 customer per year. So far I have only received 1 every calendar year since this policy came into effect in 2020. Maybe there are outliers but AD runs its own business its own way. This is not a regulated industry.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2022, 01:43 AM   #71
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine27 View Post
It's not madness, it's quite simple. Buy something that is available. Or don't, your call.

If the only thing(s) you are interested in buying are in high demand, then the store is (in the nicest possible terms) probably not looking for your business. So take it somewhere else. There are lots of great watch brands, and plenty of other ways to spend it
Old 24 June 2022, 01:45 AM   #72
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

I got my first phone call from them for over 30 months regarding a Rolex so something is changing!
DoricSpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2022, 01:52 AM   #73
multimedia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
It's not madness, it's quite simple. Buy something that is available. Or don't, your call.

If the only thing(s) you are interested in buying are in high demand, then the store is (in the nicest possible terms) probably not looking for your business. So take it somewhere else. There are lots of great watch brands, and plenty of other ways to spend it
Person walks into a car dealer;

"I would like to buy a Audi RS6"
" Sorry but no, not available. But if you don't mind buying a new VW Polo and that used Audi A4 TDI from 2006, we might consider you worthy of buying that RS6. Can't promise you anything. But we'll let you know. So what do you say?"

That's what I think about all this nonsenses. :)

Cheers,
Joe
Old 24 June 2022, 01:53 AM   #74
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

This has been essentially the path to Rolex acquisition from AD for essentially the LAST 5yrs...especially the sports references.

Pandemic just exacerbated things to include ALL Rolex references.

I don't understand why people are still bickering over this.

It's very simple. With the exception of a few outliers that are anecdotally reported on the forums every so often, Rolex goes to the AD previous clients. Thats it and how it will be until either demand falls off greatly or Rolex 10x production and floods stores..neither are likely to happen.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2022, 01:54 AM   #75
MikePRT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
And without any attempt to verify the information from an official source, this is how misinformation spreads.

Good luck

An official source?? I got told by the AD direct…to me that seems official enough. Plus as stated I am not the only one who has been told the same so it’s not some BS by a rouge sales assistant.

Old 24 June 2022, 01:56 AM   #76
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post

I don't understand why people are still bickering over this.
Because it is no longer about watches
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 24 June 2022, 01:59 AM   #77
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by multimedia View Post
Person walks into a car dealer;

"I would like to buy a Audi RS6"
" Sorry but no, not available. But if you don't mind buying a new VW Polo and that used Audi A4 TDI from 2006, we might consider you worthy of buying that RS6. Can't promise you anything. But we'll let you know. So what do you say?"

That's what I think about all this nonsenses. :)

Cheers,
Joe
Porsche GT3 comes to mind
Old 24 June 2022, 02:00 AM   #78
multimedia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Because it is no longer about watches
Well... this is part of watches. No? I do understand what you mean. But this thread is still talking about the watch industry, no? Nobody is spinning anything in this thread, not trying to (by some magic) put pressure on prices up/down, etc. So not really sure why this particular discussion is so out of line. If we were to ONLY talk specifically about watches, then heck this would be the empties forum on the internet = most posts are about "which watch one is wearing while fishing/baking/swimming", "Which is better", "should I trade my X and Y for Z", and so on and on an on :)

Can just skip the threads we don't like. Very simple :)

Cheers,
Joe
Old 24 June 2022, 02:03 AM   #79
multimedia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Porsche GT3 comes to mind
Yes, but a Rolex watch is not a Porsche GT3 (if we were to put Rolex in the car world). Vacheron, yes. Rolex is an Audi S6, maybe an RS6 (but that's really stretching it, IMO)

Rolex is a mass produced item that is world class when it comes to advertising (building a brand). A GT3 is not mass produced ;)

Cheers,
Joe
Old 24 June 2022, 02:04 AM   #80
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
J

1) register of interest for models now only possible for existing clients. People with no purchase history will not be able to register their interest for any model
So are we buying Rolex until our 80s ?

No new generation of Rolex wearers ?

Absolute
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2022, 02:05 AM   #81
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
An official source?? I got told by the AD direct…to me that seems official enough. Plus as stated I am not the only one who has been told the same so it’s not some BS by a rouge sales assistant.

Anyone from any business can tell you anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by multimedia View Post
Well... this is part of watches. No? I do understand what you mean.
Because the issue is not about watches, it is about AD treatment of customers and the massive entitlement some feel. Kind of like this thread where you don't want comments that are not like yours.

Good luck
Old 24 June 2022, 02:07 AM   #82
multimedia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Good luck
AD's are a huge part of the watch world.

But anyhow... I'm waving back

Cheers,
Joe
Old 24 June 2022, 02:13 AM   #83
Goin2drt
Banned

Quote:
Genuine question, not intended to offend.

What exactly do you mean by these comments?

You can be treated respectfully and told all three of the conditions the OP mentioned, and the result could still be that there is no watch to sell to you that day/month/year.

Not selling a product to a person is not inherently disrespectful or BS.

I couldn't agree more with your last point though, and honestly I think more people should find something else to buy. It's the only thing that will calm the craziness.
Because all those "rules" are BS. So just because a person has come in and bought a piece of jewelry he can have the honor of putting his name down on a list but some guy that walks in for the first time can't? That is stupid and BS in my book. Run your business however you want but based on the above don't even bother paying for rent or a store front in a high rent district if literally you are only going to cater to "current" customers. Just give them a phone call when their number comes up.

It is fine and dandy now and they can live by these rules. They have all the power. I just can't wait until the pendulum swings and I sure hope all those "new" customers remember jackholes like this and keep on walking by and take their "new" money to a business that caters to ALL people.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2022, 02:29 AM   #84
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Bullsh*t continues...^%$#@ WOS....buzzards.
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2022, 02:39 AM   #85
Vince M.
Banned

Watch: Meteorite
Quote:
I know for a fact that people are doing that. $500 easy money, is $500 easy money.*

If that notion is absurd to you, you are very fortunate

*not saying they set out to make that little, but profit is profit to many people.
I wasn't being absurd.

In a falling market who is willing to risk 10k for an object they likely cannot afford and possibly might get stuck with for $500 profit ?

Nobody.
Vince M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2022, 02:52 AM   #86
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
These 'rules' can
espanol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2022, 03:00 AM   #87
gwozhog
"TRF" Member

Rolex Marketing department are complete geniuses now. Tell the masses they cant have one and it will make them want one even more. Its kind of like dating in highschool. When a girl likes you tell her she is ugly and not your type and she will want you even more. Why else do you think all the jerks got all the hot chicks back then.
gwozhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2022, 03:02 AM   #88
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwozhog View Post
Rolex Marketing department are complete geniuses now. Tell the masses they cant have one and it will make them want one even more. Its kind of like dating in highschool. When a girl likes you tell her she is ugly and not your type and she will want you even more. Why else do you think all the jerks got all the hot chicks back then.
Exactly what I said earlier, this is no longer about watches.

This is a business building strategy. Create false hype and the rest takes care of itself. It only succeeds if people believe it. We did the same thing when I worked in retail 40 years ago.
Old 24 June 2022, 03:05 AM   #89
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince M. View Post
I wasn't being absurd.

In a falling market who is willing to risk 10k for an object they likely cannot afford and possibly might get stuck with for $500 profit ?

Nobody.
I didn’t say you were being absurd.

Show me a BNIB Submariner for sale at $500 above retail that is is struggling to sell and I'll eat my hat.
Old 24 June 2022, 03:47 AM   #90
gramo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I didn’t say you were being absurd.

Show me a BNIB Submariner for sale at $500 above retail that is is struggling to sell and I'll eat my hat.
Its not about selling price, its about how much greys will pay, plus, greys are pricing in for further drops when buying Rolex watches. so the question is, what will greys pay for a BNIB Submariner come December/January if we have further drops over the next six months?
gramo is offline   Reply With Quote