The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 November 2022, 02:48 PM   #1
tt_mand
"TRF" Member

First time buyer

I'm a first time buyer, never been into watches much. My dad has been wanting a Rolex for years. I'm in the place now where I either buy him one or myself one. I've chosen to buy it for him. I'm located in NorCal. I was wondering if anyone can point me into a direction of where I should buy one. I know he wants a submariner. Is it possible where I can just go into a store and purchase one? Or would I have to place one on order?
tt_mand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2022, 03:12 PM   #2
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

You can go online to Bob's Watch and buy a pre-owned one at a premium.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2022, 03:18 PM   #3
cerendigit
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio digital
Go to DavidSW and get in touch with them.

Avoid bob’s watches, watchbox, Watchfinder if you can.

Steer away from any seller that doesn’t have a very good reputation here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cerendigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2022, 07:48 PM   #4
bwdellorf76
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
Use the trusted dealers here on the forum as they have stuff listed for market price. DavidSw prices are way way way too high in this market right now.
bwdellorf76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2022, 07:53 PM   #5
WillisD
2024 Pledge Member

DavidSW always
WillisD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2022, 09:19 PM   #6
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
Take your dad with you to Rolex boutique and tell them that you want to buy your dad a dream watch. They might want to help you in this kind of situation. The market is coming down a lot now, you might not have to wait that long.

Or take a look at MODA Watch Club in FB, they are selling at a better price than our trusted seller at TRF. Many trusted sellers are buying their watches from here too.
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
, Seiko: SRPA21,
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2022, 11:52 PM   #7
Stan Cooper
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
You can go to a Rolex Authorized Dealer (AD) - there are several in the bay area - and pray they'll sell you one sometime in the hopefully not too distant future, or shop for one from a trusted grey dealer listed on this site's classifieds HERE, and get what you want tomorrow at a premium over MSRP.
♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2022, 12:52 AM   #8
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt_mand View Post
I'm a first time buyer, never been into watches much. My dad has been wanting a Rolex for years. I'm in the place now where I either buy him one or myself one. I've chosen to buy it for him. I'm located in NorCal. I was wondering if anyone can point me into a direction of where I should buy one. I know he wants a submariner. Is it possible where I can just go into a store and purchase one? Or would I have to place one on order?
Welcome to TRF. Visit your local Rolex Authorized Dealer and ask. Please understand that for many years demand has been very, very, VERY high for Rolex, so there's a verrrrrrry long list starting years ago asking for the Submariner... and it might take years for you to get one.

This is why many are pointing you to non-authorized dealers (grey dealers who today sell above msrp) since it may take years for you to get a Submariner from your local authorized dealer.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2022, 01:06 AM   #9
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzsiam View Post
Take your dad with you to Rolex boutique and tell them that you want to buy your dad a dream watch. They might want to help you in this kind of situation. The market is coming down a lot now, you might not have to wait that long.

Or take a look at MODA Watch Club in FB, they are selling at a better price than our trusted seller at TRF. Many trusted sellers are buying their watches from here too.
This.
Old 4 November 2022, 01:19 AM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Take your dad with you to Rolex boutique and tell them that you want to buy your dad a dream watch. They might want to help you in this kind of situation. The market is coming down a lot now, you might not have to wait that long...
Welcome to the forum OP, and I hope you get your dad his dream watch

I’d follow this advice. ^^^^

In addition, if you can land it at an AD it’ll make the experience that much more memorable
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2022, 01:24 AM   #11
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
I would first thoroughly read this thread before deciding to go anywhere other than an AD:
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=878906
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2022, 01:26 AM   #12
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
I would go into your local AD, tell your story, tell them you will bring your father in for pick-up. Rolex encourages ADs to look for special occasions, situations, to reward their customers. They get plenty of black subs. This is his first and only Rolex, make it special and go through an AD.
Old 4 November 2022, 01:28 AM   #13
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Or you could go to an AD and explain your gifting the watch to your dad and obtain an allocation in short order from them. I would not buy used unless no AD offers you any hope.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2022, 02:13 AM   #14
bblewis
"TRF" Member

I'm also in Nor Cal. Here's my advice, check out the Rolex ADs that are not attached to a jewelry store. I secured my Sub around 2019 with that strategy and was offered other pieces along the way.

With that said, with the way prices are dropping on the grey market, I would put my focus there. With CA sales tax, the price premium isn't too much, and you will save yourself massive time & headaches (and dealing with BS).

I'd stay away from DavidSW as the prices are far above market. Take time, hunt through the Classifieds here and other reputable dealers, and you'll be fine.
bblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2022, 03:07 AM   #15
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
Oc watch guy , david sw are my preferred grays
dwjez14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2022, 03:11 AM   #16
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
just dont go to davidsw, their watches are way overpriced.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2022, 04:29 AM   #17
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
I live in the Bay Area and it's a very tough market to source even a relatively common model like a sub. Just soooo much money around, lots of people and not that many AD's. As a few others have mentioned try the AD's that don't sell other brands or Jewelry (getting you to buy something else is a sales tactic often used to win you a spot on "the list". Which may or may not exist.) Explain the situation and see if they can help you out or indicate a timeline. AD's often have a few popular models not on display for a variety of reasons, yours included. If you have a couple of months to spare you can how that goes too.

Next step would be the trusted sellers here. The larger grey dealers are priced a little high for subs right now vis a vis availability.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2022, 11:14 AM   #18
Laostuh
"TRF" Member

Quote:

+1 I'd go the AD route first, take your dad and explain what you did to us, patience will help. If no patience then Moda. Purchased my Daytona on Moda, no issues at all. Pretty straight forward process.
Laostuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2022, 12:16 PM   #19
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Welcome to the forum. As mentioned above, take him to an AD (Authorized Dealer) and see how that works out for you.
Old 4 November 2022, 12:24 PM   #20
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Welcome to the forum.
You might want to do a search on your question/issue, it has been discussed many times before. Good luck.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2022, 01:03 PM   #21
AlabamaLawyer1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Welcome to the forum!

Todays market is a difficult time for purchasing any stainless steel Rolex at retail from an AD. You don’t have any purchase history so getting a submariner will likely be very difficult to purchase from an authorized dealer at retail.

Concurring with others, I’d say go with a trusted member here (who has a multitude of positive feedback) or DavidSW. I’ve never bought anything from David but members speak volumes about him and the high quality customer service he provides.

I do have personal experience with Bobswatches and I wouldn’t recommend them to my worst enemy.

Very noble thing you’re doing for your father, I’d maybe just add that if you do want to attempt the AD route, (probably worth a stab) I would def bring it to their attention that the watch is a gift for your father and that (coupled with the theory that supply is “getting better,”) might get it done.

Either way, good luck and congrats to dad.

DM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 3 December 2022, 03:10 PM   #22
tt_mand
"TRF" Member

Forgot I posted on here. I’m thinking of giving it to him for his birthday which will be next year. If I went into a retail store would they be able to get me a watch in a year? All I know so far is that he wants a submariner.
I really want to get him one from a retailer that way when we go pick it up he comes with and gets the whole experience of getting the watch brand new
tt_mand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2022, 03:20 PM   #23
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
David has the highest price, avoid
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2022, 03:31 PM   #24
rambo99
Banned

go to a trusted grey dealer to get one at market price. avoid dealers like Davidsw, they are way overpriced.
Old 3 December 2022, 05:45 PM   #25
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
If you're buying it for your father, I'd register your interest and wait.

Taking delivery of one, especially as a gift is priceless. If that is immaterial, then go grey as there's only a slight premium depending on sub.

Best of luck with your hunt!
PBJ1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2022, 05:55 PM   #26
rambo99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBJ1925 View Post
If you're buying it for your father, I'd register your interest and wait.

Taking delivery of one, especially as a gift is priceless. If that is immaterial, then go grey as there's only a slight premium depending on sub.

Best of luck with your hunt!
slight premium? grey dealer Davidsw listing an unworn black sub at $17,575. that's more than 70% premium on msrp.
Old 3 December 2022, 06:08 PM   #27
fooey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Quite a few now!
When did Davis sw get so over priced?
Used to be fair on prices

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
fooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2022, 06:25 PM   #28
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt_mand View Post
Forgot I posted on here. I’m thinking of giving it to him for his birthday which will be next year. If I went into a retail store would they be able to get me a watch in a year? All I know so far is that he wants a submariner.
I really want to get him one from a retailer that way when we go pick it up he comes with and gets the whole experience of getting the watch brand new
Unlikely…..
Why not visit a few local authorised dealers and ask them?
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2022, 07:14 PM   #29
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex or nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooey View Post
When did Davis sw get so over priced?
Used to be fair on prices

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
Because they can I guess, a lot of people are into making as much money as they can. Never been one of those, I can feel it now that I am retired….
Old 4 December 2022, 12:06 AM   #30
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
It is still not possible to just walk into a Rolex AD and walk out with a Submariner. Probably, you cannot order one either as existing backlog for this watch is still at least two years filled at most ADs not including all the casual first timers who are also asking to be placed on the lists. The advice to seek an unworn used model from a trusted seller is good advice if you want to complete the purchase now and not be spending a lot of time and effect on the purchase over the next year or two.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote