The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 June 2022, 03:43 PM   #271
chocopeluche
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litflynt912 View Post
Mine says hi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting that there is no lume on the dial or hands. My 17000 with white romans has lume on both.

SF, CA
chocopeluche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2022, 01:15 AM   #272
Ballzzz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocopeluche View Post
Interesting that there is no lume on the dial or hands. My 17000 with white romans has lume on both.
There are very small lume plots above the romans between the dial ring, look at the first post of the thread, you will see them better than this photo.
Old 16 July 2022, 01:26 AM   #273
Ballzzz

Happy Friday!
Any Unique OQ's lurking around the forums?
Old 28 July 2022, 04:12 AM   #274
Ballzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Good deal. I have been wanting to pick up an OQ for the longest time. I need to quit talking about it and do it
So... Did you do it?
Old 5 August 2022, 02:06 AM   #275
Ballzzz

Old 15 October 2022, 01:14 AM   #276
Ballzzz

No OQ love ???????????
Old 15 October 2022, 02:00 AM   #277
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
?
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2022, 08:13 AM   #278
pedrorolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballzzz View Post
Very unique. In general it seems gold always has softer edges on these older pieces, just the nature of the metal I suppose.
. That's the polishing. A lot of watchmakers overpolish. At Rolex they just do a "light buff" to retain sharp angles. I have an unpolished 1630 in at Rolex Geneva Service (only Rolex corporate-owned retail store in the world) and did ask them to buff it. We'll see what it comes back like.
pedrorolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 10:45 PM   #279
Bob the brush
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016 Explorer.
Going to St James Square in London tomorrow (2/12/22) to pick my 17013 up from a full service. I specified no polishing / refurb of either bracelet or mid case, I hope they have honoured this request. I will post some photos asap.
DJ 16030 - Buckley dial
DJ 16220
DJ OQ 17013
Bob the brush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2022, 05:45 PM   #280
pedrorolex
"TRF" Member

Does anyone have any information about the "rounded" 19018/19019 variants vs the angular variants with chamfered edges on on the bracelets and case? How should the variant be described or is there a difference in model number?

Gracias!
pedrorolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2022, 07:15 PM   #281
Bob the brush
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016 Explorer.
Looking wonderful after full service. They honoured my request not to polish, I just didn't want to lose the sharp lines of the case and bracelet. Really pleased, with the new crystal, I have a new watch again! Also, I have another Rolex service box to add to the collection.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
DJ 16030 - Buckley dial
DJ 16220
DJ OQ 17013
Bob the brush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2022, 09:12 PM   #282
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrorolex View Post
Does anyone have any information about the "rounded" 19018/19019 variants vs the angular variants with chamfered edges on on the bracelets and case? How should the variant be described or is there a difference in model number?Gracias!
These are not "rounded", but the mostly heavily used day-date versions. These are beautiful watches, however today they seems to be far overpriced on the market. Mostly the WG version.
Old 3 December 2022, 09:18 PM   #283
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the brush View Post
Also, I have another Rolex service box to add to the collection.
Congratulations, it's a beautiful watch!

It seems to me that the service pricing was very reasonable, it definitely worth it. In the same time I simply wondering, what on it depends that you will get this kind of box, or the service pouch? I own several from the latter, but not a single one from this box
Old 14 December 2022, 12:20 AM   #284
Ballzzz

Old 14 December 2022, 12:49 AM   #285
Animo Felonico
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by INC View Post
These are not "rounded", but the mostly heavily used day-date versions. These are beautiful watches, however today they seems to be far overpriced on the market. Mostly the WG version.
This is not correct. There was a switch on the 19018s.
Yes, many on the ones you see with curved-looking lugs are that way from overpolishing, but there was a run which had a slightly more curved leg from factory. These are often seen on 19018s with pyramid dials and/or pyramid bracelets.

The way to tell the difference on unpolished models is that the brushing or satin finish on the more angular 19018s runs horizontally, and on the ones with curved lugs runs vertically
Animo Felonico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2022, 12:57 AM   #286
Animo Felonico
"TRF" Member

Here are two versions for comparison. The catalog image, including on the 19028 pyramid model, shows the curved lugs and vertical brushing. The 19018 image in the catalog also shows the sharp lugs combined with horizontal brushing, which I was not expecting to see together on one watch. The lower image shows the more common sharp edge/horizontal brushing combo.

I know I have seen a 19018 online with the same rounded edge as the 19028 in this catalog, but at the moment I cannot locate a pic of one. Is it possible that the watches I have seen were refinished from their original sharp lug profile to be more like a 19028? Yes, that could be, but I thought I recalled seeing a write-up somewhere indicating that Rolex did a run of 19018s with the curved lugs. If anyone has that handy, I'd love to see it again.

This is one of the fun things about the Oysterquartz. Because it is so niche, there is always something new to learn.

Old 14 December 2022, 05:42 AM   #287
Ballzzz

Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animo Felonico View Post
Here are two versions for comparison. The catalog image, including on the 19028 pyramid model, shows the curved lugs and vertical brushing. The 19018 image in the catalog also shows the sharp lugs combined with horizontal brushing, which I was not expecting to see together on one watch. The lower image shows the more common sharp edge/horizontal brushing combo.

I know I have seen a 19018 online with the same rounded edge as the 19028 in this catalog, but at the moment I cannot locate a pic of one. Is it possible that the watches I have seen were refinished from their original sharp lug profile to be more like a 19028? Yes, that could be, but I thought I recalled seeing a write-up somewhere indicating that Rolex did a run of 19018s with the curved lugs. If anyone has that handy, I'd love to see it again.

This is one of the fun things about the Oysterquartz. Because it is so niche, there is always something new to learn.

Old 14 December 2022, 11:27 PM   #288
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
This is one of the fun things about the Oysterquartz. Because it is so niche, there is always something new to learn
Thank you for the information, this was new to me! :thumbs up: The picture you posted about the 19018 is amazing! Honestly I never seen that watch in such pristine condition.
Old 14 December 2022, 11:35 PM   #289
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

I was at an AD in much larger city about a month ago looking at Rolex and Patek (none for sale to me of course) and the SA was talking about how Patek would service anything they had ever made which was one of the reasons they were superior to Rolex. She then said they had recently received notice from Rolex that they were about to stop servicing the Oysterquartz due to exhausted parts supply and how Patek would never do that. For what it's worth.
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2022, 01:00 AM   #290
Ballzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oystersteel92 View Post
I was at an AD in much larger city about a month ago looking at Rolex and Patek (none for sale to me of course) and the SA was talking about how Patek would service anything they had ever made which was one of the reasons they were superior to Rolex. She then said they had recently received notice from Rolex that they were about to stop servicing the Oysterquartz due to exhausted parts supply and how Patek would never do that. For what it's worth.
Could be true, I feel like I have read 30/40 years is kinda where Rolex could draw the line, not sure if that's accurate though. With a typical automatic movement im not sure why they wouldn't service its the rest of the watch they may not have what's needed.
Old 15 December 2022, 02:27 AM   #291
Animo Felonico
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oystersteel92 View Post
People have been saying this about the OQ for decades; I'd check with the RSC but I am skeptical that this is true. I just had my 1630 overhauled by an Rolex Authorized Service Centre and all the mechanical parts needed were available with one exception: the sloped minute track on the dial is NLA, even from Geneva. Bear in mind though, that is a part for a prototype watch from 1977 which it's estimated was produced in a quantity between 500- 1500 copies. The 5035 movement in the Oysterquartz was probably put in over 20,000 copies of the 17000s, 17014s and 17013s (I am guessing at the number, but that's based on rough production of 25,000 over the entire OQ run, with an educated guess of 20% of those being day dates with the 5055 movement).
Old 15 December 2022, 04:57 AM   #292
Ballzzz

Quote:
People have been saying this about the OQ for decades; I'd check with the RSC but I am skeptical that this is true. I just had my 1630 overhauled by an Rolex Authorized Service Centre and all the mechanical parts needed were available with one exception: the sloped minute track on the dial is NLA, even from Geneva. Bear in mind though, that is a part for a prototype watch from 1977 which it's estimated was produced in a quantity between 500- 1500 copies. The 5035 movement in the Oysterquartz was probably put in over 20,000 copies of the 17000s, 17014s and 17013s (I am guessing at the number, but that's based on rough production of 25,000 over the entire OQ run, with an educated guess of 20% of those being day dates with the 5055 movement).
^ I did everything sans the motor at Dallas RSC about a year ago, no issues at all. I think its case by case but ya never really know with this kinda stuff.
Old 15 December 2022, 01:50 PM   #293
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballzzz View Post
^ I did everything sans the motor at Dallas RSC about a year ago, no issues at all. I think its case by case but ya never really know with this kinda stuff.
I knew the OQ wasn't that popular but never realized the numbers were that low in terms of production. My guess was that the integrated circuit board was running out, having watched some servicing videos on Youtube. Too bad, as it's a hell of a movement.

Case by case is probably very true. I keep hearing stories about RSCs refusing to service watches with 1500 series movements, but I got a 1601 DJ serviced in Dallas in late 2018 no problem. Common dial and bracelet config. I've also heard they will balk at some of the more exotic combos from that era. For a purely mechanical piece, I can't see why they wouldn't just do parts runs occasionally as there are so many of them out there and they have fabulous longevity.
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2022, 09:49 AM   #294
Jessiecopeland
Banned

I believe this is the sleeper we are all looking for
Jessiecopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2022, 09:57 AM   #295
johnliley
2024 Pledge Member

I just dropped my 17000 OQ for a service. I bought it new in 2006 I think its a 2003 serial number. I will check the paperwork later. My Rolex trained tech didn't think it would be a problem. They all have a network of parts and talent i have found.

JL
Old 16 December 2022, 01:43 PM   #296
SDDS
"TRF" Member

17000 N series 1991

Rolex Oysterquartz 17000 N series
Rolex OP 41MM 124300 Green Dial
SDDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2022, 01:41 AM   #297
Animo Felonico
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDS View Post
17000 N series 1991

Absolutely love the slate dial. Maybe the best available for this model.
Old 17 December 2022, 01:49 AM   #298
Ballzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiecopeland View Post
I believe this is the sleeper we are all looking for
sHHHHHHHH
Old 17 December 2022, 06:14 AM   #299
SteveHao
"TRF" Member

SteveHao is offline   Reply With Quote