The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 November 2022, 05:48 AM   #121
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
They are installing a blue die pack under the case back. Just like banks do with money bags. If your not authorized to open the watch then......Poof!
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2022, 05:49 AM   #122
jinikari01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
GL OP. Its about the principle... I hope Watchbox makes this right.
And provide you at least a partial refund and cover your service cost.
jinikari01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2022, 06:12 AM   #123
RFC
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1968 5513 Sub
If I were you I would call RSC customer service for details of why and how exactly the unauthorized repair or service work voided the warranty. You should document what RSC tells you to set Watchbox up for a return/reimbursement. Put everything in writing and follow up with calls.
RFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2022, 06:29 AM   #124
opresso
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Sorry to hear this. Hopefully all works out. There is definitely some risk buying on the secondary market. Sometimes it works out great....but, other times....not worth the extra stress.
opresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2022, 07:15 AM   #125
nickrb
"TRF" Member

Just a few follow-ups:
1. I've asked RSC Dallas for any additional notes on what the evidence was, and told them the reason was seeking reimbursement for the repair from the dealer who sold me the watch. They said I should have more details this week.
2. Watchbox responded- apparently my emails (from my gmail account) got caught in spam filter and they are discussing internally what they can do for me.
nickrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2022, 07:18 AM   #126
storii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrb View Post
Just a few follow-ups:
1. I've asked RSC Dallas for any additional notes on what the evidence was, and told them the reason was seeking reimbursement for the repair from the dealer who sold me the watch. They said I should have more details this week.
2. Watchbox responded- apparently my emails (from my gmail account) got caught in spam filter and they are discussing internally what they can do for me.
Over 6,000 views this thread has gotten thus far might have broken through their "spam filter". Lol!

Good luck, OP!
storii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2022, 08:31 AM   #127
Big Tex Rolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrb View Post
Just a few follow-ups:
Depending on the Watchbox response, I would tell them that you are a member of a Rolex forum, and a luxury watch forum, and that your friends and fellow members are asking you to report how Watchbox handles this.

They could be completely innocent … not knowing what the previous owner did … but they did claim / sell you a watch that was under warranty … and I would think they need to stand behind that …

even if it means having the RSC service the watch (at their cost), thereby enacting a 2 year warranty …

or, by offering you a full refund for your return of the watch.

Then, when they list it again, they can state “no warranty”.

PS … “Caught in the spam filter” is the modern day version of the “dog ate my homework”.

Have they told you yet that, the person that handles our emails is out with Covid.

Or anything about Locusts ???
Big Tex Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2022, 10:12 AM   #128
DLRIDES
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
Who was the dealer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan111 View Post
I don't think it will help naming the dealer.
Not naming the dealer(s) enables the continuation of deception.

Old 3 November 2022, 10:18 AM   #129
Trailboss516
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's complicated
Quote:
Originally Posted by big tex rolex View Post
“caught in the spam filter” is the modern day version of the “dog ate my homework”.

Have they told you yet that, the person that handles our emails is out with covid.
thank you!
Trailboss516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2022, 12:39 PM   #130
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
I have a friend who bought a 3 year old DJ from a big grey seller and it was winding kind of rough so he walked it into the RSC in LA and after taking it in the back, they came back out to say the warranty has been voided since the watch had been polished. RSC explained in order to polish a watch, it would have been opened up and that voids the warranty.

It does make you wonder since pretty much every pre-owned watch sold by DavidSW (and many other Greys) has been polished. Are all those warranties voided?
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2022, 12:46 PM   #131
Alan111
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
I have a friend who bought a 3 year old DJ from a big grey seller and it was winding kind of rough so he walked it into the RSC in LA and after taking it in the back, they came back out to say the warranty has been voided since the watch had been polished. RSC explained in order to polish a watch, it would have been opened up and that voids the warranty.

It does make you wonder since pretty much every pre-owned watch sold by DavidSW (and many other Greys) has been polished. Are all those warranties voided?
Technically, yes.
Alan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2022, 01:23 PM   #132
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
I'd want my money back, period.

Advertised as under Rolex warranty, it's not.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2022, 01:28 PM   #133
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

this happened to me from a watch I bought at Tourneau. Rolex voided the warranty because Tourneau, an AD, inspected the movement to sell it (presumably, no proof of this). Its in Rolex's interest to be stingy on warranty work for good reason - it costs them money. The inspect the hell out of watches to ensure they weren't tampered with in any way. They will jump at any opportunity to avoid warranty work.

With that said, let me add my experience with Watchbox and what I believe likely happened here. Watchbox is owned by Govberg, a major AD. Rolex is aware of their relationship and I've seen them basically give it tacit approval. I've heard from Watchbox directly that Govberg would lose their AD status if they used any non-genuine parts during the course of their repairs. I find them to be extremely trustworthy, though their communication can be hit or miss and their prices are what they are.

With that said, given that it is a newer watch, I am nearly 100% certain at a MINIMUM watchbox polished the watch before selling it. That voids the warranty, even though the movement was never opened. Watchbox also replaces crystals, at least thats been the case on every pre owned piece I've ever inquired about re: Rolex.

Also, given that its a 2018 watch, and its now near the end of 2022, its unlikely that whatever issue your watch is having was an inherent defect. Most issues show up early if ever at all. This is something else to consider, but might be meaningless.

TL/DR - Watchbox likely polished the watch during the "coming soon" period, now its having a warranty issue, Rolex saw the finishing on the case was not the factory finish, and thus voided the warranty.
sportsfan0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2022, 01:41 PM   #134
robocaspar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan0704 View Post
this happened to me from a watch I bought at Tourneau. Rolex voided the warranty because Tourneau, an AD, inspected the movement to sell it (presumably, no proof of this). Its in Rolex's interest to be stingy on warranty work for good reason - it costs them money. The inspect the hell out of watches to ensure they weren't tampered with in any way. They will jump at any opportunity to avoid warranty work.

With that said, let me add my experience with Watchbox and what I believe likely happened here. Watchbox is owned by Govberg, a major AD. Rolex is aware of their relationship and I've seen them basically give it tacit approval. I've heard from Watchbox directly that Govberg would lose their AD status if they used any non-genuine parts during the course of their repairs. I find them to be extremely trustworthy, though their communication can be hit or miss and their prices are what they are.

With that said, given that it is a newer watch, I am nearly 100% certain at a MINIMUM watchbox polished the watch before selling it. That voids the warranty, even though the movement was never opened. Watchbox also replaces crystals, at least thats been the case on every pre owned piece I've ever inquired about re: Rolex.

Also, given that its a 2018 watch, and its now near the end of 2022, its unlikely that whatever issue your watch is having was an inherent defect. Most issues show up early if ever at all. This is something else to consider, but might be meaningless.

TL/DR - Watchbox likely polished the watch during the "coming soon" period, now its having a warranty issue, Rolex saw the finishing on the case was not the factory finish, and thus voided the warranty.
The issue with Skydwellers is. No external workshop, even authorised service shops, other than Rolex Service Centers are certified to work on Skydwellers or Yachtmaster 2s.

If they see a screw head in the movement that shows signs of wear that gives them reason to suspect work has been done.

Sent from my GM1910 using Tapatalk
robocaspar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2022, 01:51 PM   #135
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

I don't think it/s fair to say something and not name the dealer. Best kept to yourself if you don't want to share. Not trying to be rude, just want to say from my perspective you naming a dealer would be helpful to others.

Quote:
I don't think it will help naming the dealer. What will help is spreading the information that an advertised "XXX years remaining on Rolex warranty" means nothing if coming from a Gray dealer. Sure, there is a possibility that the watch was never opened or polished, but most watches coming from the Grays are touched up and that will void a warranty.
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2022, 02:22 PM   #136
321Forever
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
There is probably a higher likelihood for warranty service in the pre-owned market. We've only had to service our Rolexes after the warranty period ended. I've only had bad luck with IWC (2 for 2).
321Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2022, 02:30 PM   #137
DocChand
"TRF" Member

WatchBox in Singapore sends any Rolex watches they receive to the RSC to polish; they don’t do it in-house. But that’s probably unique to Singapore because their set-up here is quite small….likely not the case in bigger markets like the US.

Sorry for your experience OP.
DocChand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2022, 02:36 PM   #138
KathleenL
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 279171-0001
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch300 View Post
I don't think it/s fair to say something and not name the dealer. Best kept to yourself if you don't want to share. Not trying to be rude, just want to say from my perspective you naming a dealer would be helpful to others.
The OP named the dealer on page 1 of this thread.
KathleenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2022, 03:22 PM   #139
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by S7gpt View Post
thanks for heads up, was considering using WATCHBOX but won't now unless you advise a positive outcome.

I had an amazing experience watch box in exactly this circumstance. I bought the watch, and it was running way fast. I sent it back to watch box, there was an issue, and it went to Rolex service center which completely refurbished it, full paperwork, service pouch, service, cream card. Etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2022, 03:28 PM   #140
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
I have dealt with watchbox and found their service to be exceptional. Their prices may be a bit higher but when I had an issue they went above and beyond to make it right without question. They also offer their in-house warranty.

This was my experience. Just like dealing with an ad because they sort of are. Had a warranty issue, it went straight back to WatchBox, which sent it to Rolex, service center, which fully refurbished it to your

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2022, 05:14 PM   #141
Alpino
"TRF" Member

Morality , never buy to grey dealers ...

It's one more reason to not give them your money.
Alpino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2022, 05:15 PM   #142
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
at least you still can get the watch repaired by the RSC as paid service. that's the small risk one should take for buying from a grey dealer, as it's faster and cheaper way to get the watch than from an AD.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2022, 06:48 PM   #143
hello93
"TRF" Member

Safe to conclude from this thread before buying any modern Rolex under warranty from a grey dealer to specify this situation.

Does anyone else feel similarly to me that warranty offered by grey dealers are worthless? Personally I don't want anyone other than RSC servicing the watch.
hello93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2022, 07:56 PM   #144
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
Quote:
I don't think it will help naming the dealer. What will help is spreading the information that an advertised "XXX years remaining on Rolex warranty" means nothing if coming from a Gray dealer. Sure, there is a possibility that the watch was never opened or polished, but most watches coming from the Grays are touched up and that will void a warranty.
They provided you with terrible service, cut you loose and never followed up but you don’t think it will help others to name them? Instead you want to tar all other ‘greys’ with the same brush - I would seriously rethink your stance on this.
Number3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2022, 08:02 PM   #145
mailman
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello93 View Post

Does anyone else feel similarly to me that warranty offered by grey dealers are worthless? Personally I don't want anyone other than RSC servicing the watch.
No. As a buyer, I’ve done my homework on any watch I’ve bought or passed on. I’ve done the same with anyone I’ve bought from. I’ve asked questions, asked for more pictures and videos on occasion. I’ve been told that a few watches weren’t what I was looking for. There’s only a handful of individuals I’d buy from.
Old 3 November 2022, 08:24 PM   #146
drrd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don't think it will help naming the dealer. What will help is spreading the information that an advertised "XXX years remaining on Rolex warranty" means nothing if coming from a Gray dealer.
It definitely means something. If a seller makes a specific claim which turns out to be untrue then it means the buyer has grounds to return the item for full refund.

I agree with others here that it would be helpful to know who deals in this way.
drrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2022, 08:31 PM   #147
hello93
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
No. As a buyer, I’ve done my homework on any watch I’ve bought or passed on. I’ve done the same with anyone I’ve bought from. I’ve asked questions, asked for more pictures and videos on occasion. I’ve been told that a few watches weren’t what I was looking for. There’s only a handful of individuals I’d buy from.
Thanks for sharing.
hello93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2022, 09:09 PM   #148
chris242
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610lv
Now I understand why lots of Greys give their clients a 1 year warranty on the movement. Seems like they know that the manufacturers warranty is void since the majority of greys get the watches “retail ready” by giving them a slight polish

chris242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2022, 09:16 PM   #149
fishingbear
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTsSubLVEx2SDDayt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cauhauna View Post
yep. it's davidsw and tony (justrolexes/sdwatches) for me
Yep
fishingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2022, 09:20 PM   #150
nickrb
"TRF" Member

I managed to find the original listing description.

The description clearly stated that the watch was covered by factory warranty.

I believe the watch was polished by them. It was covered in plastic and had a red casebook sticker.

I believe Watchbox, given their affiliation with an AD (Govberg), should be aware that opened casebook and/or polished watches may have their warranty voided by RSC.

nickrb is offline   Reply With Quote