The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 November 2022, 07:59 PM   #31
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptowalkway View Post
Padi views watches only as investments. It is so disheartening. If only he knew what it was like in the old days
I can assure you I have never thought of any watch as any sort of investment and never will. All this investment £££$$€€ stuff has mainly started over the past 8-10 years. Myself been learning about the history of the RWC for well over 50 years, and wearing and enjoying wearing Rolex watches almost daily over those 50 plus years. All information supplied from my own 79 year old brain power, without the aid of loupes, nicknames, timegraphers, constant checking time syndrome, checking so called alignment points to a fraction of a mm, protective watch sticky back plastic, AD relationship building, investment £$€ stuff, special cleaning cloths, phone apps, and the rest of todays Rolex watch toys.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2022, 09:42 PM   #32
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Been around here for ~20 years but signed up later.

The "investment" thing is new and it killed the hobby for the rest of us. Know a few folks who won't wear Rolex or other precious watches to keep the safe and for a "rainy day." It is a shame and I don't think we'll ever get back to normal.
Old 27 November 2022, 09:59 PM   #33
Rolexatlast
"TRF" Member

I think there are two different things:
- Love of the watches
- Love of the money they make

You see the same everywhere - eg look how popular Premier League footballers became once they became rich

Once they stop being money makers, they speculators will move on. Then we will be back to watch lovers

The way prices are falling, this won’t be long. Especially with the coming recession, when flaunting an expensive watch may seem crass
Rolexatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2022, 10:12 PM   #34
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
In the late 70s and early 80s, I was concerned with Rolex watches holding their value as I planned to trade up to more expensive versions when I could hopefully afford them. For instance, my 1979 SS Submariner was traded for a TT GMT master on jubilee. Next, the GMT was traded for a YG Day Date or President watch as we called it. I also have always viewed my Rolex watches as worth being careful with because I worked hard to earn them. I love cars also and due to their expensive nature, I have always been careful what I bought and I took extremely good care of them. It’s a different world today but I think Rolex watches still hold their value and are somewhat tradeable.
Old 27 November 2022, 10:23 PM   #35
zengineer
"TRF" Member

No matter how old you are or how pure you think your deep love of horology in general, and Rolex watches in particular is, they have gained popularity, which has increased demand above supply, which drives prices up. You can't ignore it (especially if you are trying to buy something) and don't need to be happy about. But for the love of all things holy...can we just stop bitching and whining about it? If the forums are no longer what you want them to be..log off...find another place.

Sent using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2022, 10:26 PM   #36
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
When I bought my first Rolex, I remember it hurt my pocket book at that time … it was a lot of money for me at that stage of life (early 20’s).

Never once did I consider what the watch might be “worth” down the road. In my mind, it was a sunken cost. All I knew was, I had to have that watch. I still try to think of it that way today.

I guess it’s nice to know they hold their value, but I don’t fixate on what they may or may not be worth.

What I sincerely do hope, is that we never go back to the days of discounts at AD’s. Bad for the brand IMHO.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2022, 10:42 PM   #37
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex or nothing
An investment, most probably not. But they definitely retain value. So they are easy to sell, swap and trade.
Old 27 November 2022, 11:08 PM   #38
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
We keep beating this horse, but to me the only answer is that no one knows. And except for the PM models that are made by elves, Rolex is a mass produced time piece. With millions in circulation. Think about that, millions.

There was a time before this recent craze that Rolex stock sat, sometimes for years. I can remember buying an Explorer I in circa 2010 and having to have the AD go through a lot of work to tell me when the watch was delivered to the AD. I can also remember haggling over the discount, which was significant.

We could see discounts again. And then again we could not. Anyone who tells they know the answer is merely more confidant in their guess.
Rolex may produce 1M watches a year and it sounds like a lot - but world population increases at 67M/year. Rolex will always be in short supply.

https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2022, 11:09 PM   #39
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

This film from 15 years ago shows there's nothing new about the idea of Rolex as an investment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrO1fx7l0Yc
rolexpatek363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2022, 12:22 AM   #40
Faze101
"TRF" Member

Weird as I’ve owned Rolexes for over 10 years / it was only the last few years that Rolex and Investment was mentioned in the same breath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Faze101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2022, 12:56 AM   #41
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post

What I sincerely do hope, is that we never go back to the days of discounts at AD’s. Bad for the brand IMHO.
Brian,

I agree.

I also hope there will be a balance where grey market isn't the only option for new buyers who want to buy, wear, and enjoy a Rolex.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2022, 01:03 AM   #42
gerry100
"TRF" Member

To me an investment is something that earns me money - short term or long term

Dont think my 16570 will make me any money and I dont care, but it will provide happiness and satisfaction for year at a reasonable cost before I pass it down to my son
gerry100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2022, 01:03 AM   #43
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post
Brian,

I agree.

I also hope there will be a balance where grey market isn't the only option for new buyers who want to buy, wear, and enjoy a Rolex.
Agreed

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2022, 03:24 AM   #44
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
I’m making a list of all the fake Rolex fans and investors here. You will all regret turning on Rolex!!!!!!
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2022, 04:00 AM   #45
Meyrin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 14060
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
Yeah, I must admit that it’s a conflicting feeling these days to daily a Rolex, yet anytime I see another guy wearing a professional model Rolex, I can’t help but think to myself, “that guy is probably lame.”
So I´m "lame" because I wear a professional model Rolex (Submariner) nearly everyday, and have been doing so for nearly 27 years? I don´t get it, but you´re entitled to have your say...!
Meyrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2022, 04:02 AM   #46
Meyrin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 14060
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsdorfNDavis View Post
The guy wearing a Rolex isn't lame; he's not concerned with every little scratch or wear mark...It's the guy who buys a Rolex and DOESN'T wear it who is lame!
Precisely! Thank you for this, from a "lame" Submariner wearer...!
Meyrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2022, 08:03 AM   #47
Dyim
"TRF" Member

I buy what I like, not because of hype, or how it will be able to hold its value.

I missed the days of being able to get 30% off a watch from my AD.

The popularity of the brand actually ruined it a bit for me.

Now I have to be careful when wearing a 'hot' watch when travelling because it is so highly recognizable.
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2022, 10:00 AM   #48
cornerstore
"TRF" Member

Looking at this post from TRF it’s undeniable that Rolex is a good investment. Call it what you want but it’s an investment in the purest form. To say otherwise is just denying the obvious. Maybe you , or someone that gifted it to you , didn’t buy it as an investment but that doesn’t mean it’s not an investment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 709C244F-68D5-48F7-B459-B93BDD011CEB.jpeg (227.5 KB, 295 views)
cornerstore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2022, 10:50 AM   #49
ajw45
"TRF" Member

Hah, I spent most of my time on timezone before I got my first Rolex - Sea Dweller in 1999 - 10% off and no tax because no one wanted them when the sub was cheaper, thinner, and had the cyclops. I really wanted a Zenith El Primero or a JLC Master RDM but both were way too much money and I didn't think I could afford the servicing, the Rolex was the safe reliable budget option. It was never a question of investment but a question of longevity, the Rolex could take a beating and last a lifetime. In that sense, it was an investment in quality and lifetime value of the product. Watches weren't as liquid back then, you were going to take a bath on any used watch, so unless it was a grand comp from Patek or something actually collectible to the few rich watch collectors, the steel Rolex was just an expensive tool, like a luxury pick-up truck.

Sure if we look back, many Rolex watches have done better than inflation, BUT many haven't. we just don't talk about them. Groceries, pet food, flat ware, a lot of things have risen in price faster than inflation but that doesn't make them investments. It's almost a lucky thing that stainless steel sports watches became a cultural phenomenon in the face of smart watches and Rolex was there for it, plenty of two tone datejusts and other Rolexes that haven't been good "investments". My father has a tt datejust he bough in geneva himself in the 60s, it is mint, and worth almost nothing because no one is looking for a door stop dial arrow hand tt Rolex.

All hype has to end, it's the nature of hype... it moves to the next newest thing, hype can't just stay stagnant, then it's not hype. Rolex will keep making great watches but the hype will move, I imagine something like 80% of all the people that got in the hobby for hype and investment reasons over the last few years will move on and 20% will stay on as new collectors the the hype brought into the hobby. Rolex will keep pumping out watches, things will normalize, hype will move on to somethings else.

I like watches, I don't see the yolo rush to pay over MSRP for anything and not surprisingly I haven't bought a Rolex in a long time, nbd. If you are going to enjoy watches for your whole life as a hobby, a few years exploring brands other than Rolex where deals can still be had is part of the journey, you can always swing back to Rolex later when the hordes pass. You don't have to wait in line for cronut anymore or kill someone in the parking lot for a beanie baby. For all the people that MUST have it now and have driven prices to the moon, those are the people that most likely MUST have the next cool thing NOW also and will move on from the hobby quickly or at least to new watches/brands.
ajw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2022, 10:20 PM   #50
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
I can assure you I have never thought of any watch as any sort of investment and never will. All this investment £££$$€€ stuff has mainly started over the past 8-10 years. Myself been learning about the history of the RWC for well over 50 years, and wearing and enjoying wearing Rolex watches almost daily over those 50 plus years. All information supplied from my own 79 year old brain power, without the aid of loupes, nicknames, timegraphers, constant checking time syndrome, checking so called alignment points to a fraction of a mm, protective watch sticky back plastic, AD relationship building, investment £$€ stuff, special cleaning cloths, phone apps, and the rest of todays Rolex watch toys.
I can assure you that the other poster was intending to make you bite!
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 01:30 AM   #51
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
I’ve never sold a Rolex, only traded a few in on others. I only buy at retail from an AD and I’ve only bought used from an AD back when used prices were less than retail. Because I don’t sell Rolexes I don’t consider them investments but because I’ve lived long enough to have experienced surprising economic changes I do consider Rolexes to be an enjoyable store of value. I never buy with the intent to sell and consequently I never have but it’s always in the back of my head that they are liquid assets.
I agree. I only buy from my AD and have never sold. I buy because I admire the genius of the mechanical movements and the beauty on the wrist. I view my watches as assets and a financial asset class, with the warm feeling that they are liquid and hold their value over time. My intention is to wear them and thoroughly enjoy them, and to pass them to my children and family.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41 White/Romans
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 04:49 AM   #52
cryptowalkway
Banned

Quote:
I was being sarcastic in the hopes you’d bite!
cryptowalkway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 04:58 AM   #53
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptowalkway View Post
I was being sarcastic in the hopes you’d bite!
You know there is a well known saying that sarcarsum is the lowest form of witt,now you have a nice day.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 29 November 2022, 07:44 AM   #54
vesnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
I have been a long time enthusiast having purchased my first Rolex in 1983. Never crossed my mind for decades what it was worth or that it was an investment - as it was my watch and nothing else. And the people who appreciated the watch were few and far between. Now with social media it seems like everybody is an aficionado! Watches - and other luxury items - get a ton more exposure than they ever did and that leads to interest and appreciation. I would like to say it will return to normal, but with the high demand and limited supply, I do not anticipate an end soon.
vesnyder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 08:48 PM   #55
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
I can assure you that the other poster was intending to make you bite!
Agree but give Mr cryptowalkway enough rope, and speaking for myself one rule I always follow.I never get into an argument with any members who think they are being clever by posting idiotic sarcasm. As you just lower yourself to their level, and they will beat you with there experience.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 29 November 2022, 10:00 PM   #56
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I’m relatively new to this forum but have been reading for many years and into watches since the early 80’s. I think perhaps at some point. The younger generations eschew things that smack of privilege and hierarchy and the disdain for that is evident in the increasing boldness of criminals seen in the what has become almost daily posts about someone getting their watch snatched. Even without tue hype, Rolex has far outpaced inflation and has become unattainable for all but a few. The current gray market and hype machine surrounding it may be thought of as a mechanism to support a declining market. Most have Apple Watches and they will get more and more as few can resist the dopamine and so Rolex will eventually become increasingly irrelevant. At this point it’s history is long forgot and most see it as another form of crypto/investment or just something celebs and oligarchs wear.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 10:21 PM   #57
ROLEX MAN
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: you? "YES PLEASE"!
Got my first Rolex (pepsi 1675) in 1985 secondhand advertised in the local news paper, because I could not afford a new one.

Bought it not because of investment or growth.

I wanted it because every time I looked at it, it made me happy inside!

Ever since then the "BUG" bit me!

Now 37 years later they still give me a warm fuzzy feeling inside and a smile on my face!

It's an achievement!

I just "LOVE" them!

it's not just about telling the time...

happy rolexing...

I'm just a man with a passion
ROLEX MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 11:05 PM   #58
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLEX MAN View Post
Got my first Rolex (pepsi 1675) in 1985 secondhand advertised in the local news paper, because I could not afford a new one.

Bought it not because of investment or growth.

I wanted it because every time I looked at it, it made me happy inside!

Ever since then the "BUG" bit me!

Now 37 years later they still give me a warm fuzzy feeling inside and a smile on my face!

It's an achievement!

I just "LOVE" them!

Dymo labeler for the win!
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 11:42 PM   #59
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
We keep beating this horse, but to me the only answer is that no one knows. And except for the PM models that are made by elves, Rolex is a mass produced time piece. With millions in circulation. Think about that, millions.

There was a time before this recent craze that Rolex stock sat, sometimes for years. I can remember buying an Explorer I in circa 2010 and having to have the AD go through a lot of work to tell me when the watch was delivered to the AD. I can also remember haggling over the discount, which was significant.

We could see discounts again. And then again we could not. Anyone who tells they know the answer is merely more confidant in their guess.
There are indeed millions out in the world, but there are also millions of new people being born every year with wrists. So demand will likely continue.

Also, of the millions of mass produced Rolex watches out there, how many are you able to get at MSRP? For most people that answer is ZERO despite mass production.
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 07:13 AM   #60
nocaps
"TRF" Member

Watch: platona 2x bark dd
Quote:
You know there is a well known saying that sarcarsum is the lowest form of witt,now you have a nice day.
do you have any thoughts about individuals who have no sense of humor? oh sorry, was that sarcasm?
nocaps is offline   Reply With Quote