The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 November 2022, 08:18 PM   #31
Doood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppydriver View Post
I think your heritage sport chrono is vastly under rated. As a matter of fact, seeing the blue version w/NATO in an auto publication many years ago is really what led me to the higher end watch rabbit hole.

Strangely, I have never acquired the piece. When I really wanted it, I couldn't afford it. When I was finally able to afford it, I was also able to afford more expensive watches that had climbed the hierarchy of desire.

Your collection speaks honesty and beauty, I enjoyed the pic very much.
This is hilarious. The exact same watch led me to start wearing and collecting again. Saw the blue in a magazine, when the watch was released, and was like this is a beautiful watch. Seemed expensive at the time, but pulled out my old speedy and started wearing watches again, after a 5 year hiatus. Never did buy the heritage blue, but it has been my favorite Tudor watch, nonetheless. I also liked the grey dial, with black sub-dials, but have never seen one in person. I always look for it when I stop at an AD.
Doood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 08:38 PM   #32
studioJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppydriver View Post
I think your heritage sport chrono is vastly under rated. As a matter of fact, seeing the blue version w/NATO in an auto publication many years ago is really what led me to the higher end watch rabbit hole.

Strangely, I have never acquired the piece. When I really wanted it, I couldn't afford it. When I was finally able to afford it, I was also able to afford more expensive watches that had climbed the hierarchy of desire.

Your collection speaks honesty and beauty, I enjoyed the pic very much.
What’s the watch third in on the top row? Looks like a Tudor but I’ve not seen that reference, super nice.
studioJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 09:24 PM   #33
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioJ View Post
What’s the watch third in on the top row? Looks like a Tudor but I’ve not seen that reference, super nice.
I’d be keen to know the reference too. I have no idea how to tell a 7950 from a 7967 (the Tudor Oyster-Prince ‘Tuxedo’ worn by Roger Sterling on Mad Men), but it’s a fine looking piece.

To get back on topic again, as I strayed from it, I occasionally lose interest in a watch, but not all watches. I have thought about why this happens. This will sound a bit nuts, but I think it is similar to how we can unnoticeably drift from any relationship through loss of connection. They have to be regularly worn or looked at with appreciation; not always boxed away while we watch odious YouTubers waffle about watches less interesting than the one we have put away. Simply wearing it again for a few days always brings me back to it.
White Collar Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 10:35 PM   #34
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooba View Post
After collecting Rolex since March 1993 and being slightly obsessed with the brand ,I have realised in the last year the interest has faded ,I rarely get on here anymore, The question pops up in my head quiet regular , Do I gift some pieces to my boys or sell up and give them the money ? Just leave the watches and hope the interest returns .

I honestly don’t know why I feel like this. Have others been through this ? . I always bought what I liked always Professionally models then was asked by my AD to consider buying some DJs then more recently Tudor, Then I was lucky to be allowed to purchase anything due to demand ,I have used the same guy for 30 years and get mostly what I want . I think maybe looking at all these instagram plonkers flashing their pieces quoting investment nonsense,Reading about all,the watch crime muggings and the robberies ,Maybe I am just getting old ?

Anyone else feel like this or understand
I understand completely and have felt the same way for a long time.

The current environment does not help either.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 10:47 PM   #35
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Feel the exact same way. I’ve noticed being a little self conscious when wearing Rolex, too many people stare at my wrist when wearing one. Add the slime factor of playing AD games and I’m not really that much of a fan these days. JLC and Omega hold more attraction now, by far. Seriously considering liquidating what I have left and moving on. Still love watches, just not that much love for Rolex.
HHIslander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 10:56 PM   #36
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I love watches. I’m partial to Rolex but love other brands as well. I have to say I haven’t lost interest whatsoever.

I guess maybe I’ll go through phases where I’m more happy and content with what I have, but I’ll always be interested in horology
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 10:58 PM   #37
RKTINC1
"TRF" Member

I am the same way. No plans to sell but the combo of insane prices and another big building restoration project has taken my out of the hobby for the time being.
RKTINC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 10:59 PM   #38
MSL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124270,15010,P39
Sometime the hunt is greater than the prize and maybe a sense of anti-climax.
MSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 11:04 PM   #39
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I hear you. For several years, I thought I would surely get a grail-type watch for when I turn 50 (still a couple years away). Now I don’t know.

But, I still like coming on TRF.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 11:08 PM   #40
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15 and counting!
I, at times feel the same way! My interest has been an ebb and flow. While I have thought of selling pieces, I would always keep some as I love the brand. I often wonder how many I can live with and still be happy. I was a one Rolex guy before I started making more money so I have lived with only one but love diversity. I am nearing retirement in the next 2 years. I do not need the money but wonder why I need so many and how many can I be happy with. I have 3 that are very sentimental so those 3 will never leave but of the rest I am not sure which to let go if I decide to dwindle down the collection.
Kiddodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 11:09 PM   #41
Bstewart
"TRF" Member

I go through phases of losing interest also, but have never taken the action of selling or listing anything (I have gone as far as getting a quote on my entire collection from a grey dealer).

For me, I think the losing interest correlates to my general mood and if I'm feeling a bit depressed, watches can either be an escape or something I have no interest in.

All in all, the passion always comes back for me, when I am not feeling so down.
Bstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 11:14 PM   #42
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I get it and while I have not thought much about getting out of watches and selling my collection I do have times when I think about consolidating. I have rediscovered my love for Panerai, specifically some of the older models 233/317/90, and have enjoyed the strap game. I also have enjoyed Seiko/Tudor/Omega. In the end I have decided that I am watch guy, I just have to decide what that looks like. No right answer or wrong answer just my answer.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 11:15 PM   #43
novae500
"TRF" Member

I had a great manager at the AD.. Was able to get 3 rolexes 2021, Skydweller, Rootbeer and Diamond bezel/dial datejust for my wife. He passed away from a stroke on vacation. Get reassigned a jr sales girl. Let her know back in May that my 50th was 6 months from now. Well wasnt able to get a Rolex at all for my 50th. Excuse was i already purchased 3 last year.

326933 SkyDweller, 126711 GMT II CHNR
12600 DeepSea Seadweller
14060 No Date Submariner
16710 GMT II Pepsi N-Series, Coke F Series
novae500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 11:26 PM   #44
s7horton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613LB, 126610…..
It ebbs and flows for me. I have other hobbies I get fixated on. Sometimes it Rolex, other times it wood working, or high end audio, or boats.

I have a sub 41 I wear every day no matter what. I like it. I’m not currently in the die-hard Rolex stage of my hobbies. I was a couple years ago. I might be again at some point.

The prices are ridiculous, I’m not a big spender at my AD, although they are always very welcoming when I go in. The state of the market is a huge turn off right now. I bought my first 20 years ago. I have no idea when I will buy my next. Could be ten years from now - if at all.
s7horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 11:27 PM   #45
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
I never really regarded Rolex as a hobby, but more of an interest in having good watches. Like others, I was fortunate to have access to a great AD who always was able to deliver. He lost the dealership along with hundreds more a few years back, though can still source and deal in some very nice pre-owned. This coupled with the fact that the new models do not really interest me, has still probably kept me interested though not to the same degree as before.
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 11:38 PM   #46
dafuture
"TRF" Member

It depends on what you have in your collection. For example, anything "replaceable" I'd be fine selling, but the 1665 in your signature I'd certainly hang on to.

Frankly, I've gotten that burnout feeling a couple times over the last few years. The hobby has certainly changed, and forums are flooded with "how much can I make if I flip" and "how can I invest in watches". These posts way outweigh the actual enthusiasts, so it certainly puts a damper on things.

Try going watch-less for a few days. See how it feels. You may end up missing it more than you'd realize.
Old 30 November 2022, 11:47 PM   #47
atxwatch
"TRF" Member

I would not say that I have "lost interest". I bought several watches this year, including two Rolexes. But at least for me, the list of Rolex I am interested in very short. In part because of the "new" perception of Rolex being so much hype via its use in Instagram and pop culture (note Bruno Mars singing that "if I could turn back the hands on my Rollie you know I would" just to name ONE example), I have found myself self-conscious about wearing them. And I certainly would not wear them when I travel to London for work just to name one city I travel to frequently.

Accordingly, Omega has become a big part of my collection. So many great models with excellent movements and specs that fly under the radar and are perfectly fine to wear in any circumstance.

But ultimately, I still find Rolex special on me. There is something I deeply appreciate about putting on my Pepsi or Sub. The precision and finishing of these watches are above and beyond.
atxwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 11:52 PM   #48
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I quit adding 1 1/2 year ago. I enjoy the hobby from a back seat. I'm content with what I've got.

I lost interest in buying more stuff, but not in talking watches in general and reading about other people's experiences.

I still very much enjoy the experience of putting a nice piece on the wrist, Rolex or otherwise.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 12:06 AM   #49
Toproll85
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooba View Post
. I think maybe looking at all these instagram plonkers flashing their pieces quoting investment nonsense, Reading about all,the watch crime muggings and the robberies ,Maybe I am just getting old ?
No, you're not too old, just from a not-so-distant period. I understand your feelings. This characterizes the era in which we live, and which suddenly becomes a rule for many people.

Also as an "old timer", I have seen that for at least the last ten years the notion of "preserving the value of the object" has become one of the main purchasing criteria.

The famous loss of value that must not exist.

Whether or not you have the means has never stopped anyone from loving watches, you can find them at all prices (even in flea markets you can still find Omega, JLC, Zénith... there's something for all budgets) and fortunately not from 10K, but this notion of discount turns everything upside down.

When I was 15 and the Swatch never left my life, I thought neither of a resale nor of a capital gain and therefore not of a discount.

My first second-hand Rolex for my 25th birthday, bought telling myself that it was a sum spent that I would never see again, but at least I had the watch I dreamed of on my wrist. Ditto for all the others that I had the chance to acquire.

If we tell ourselves from the start that the watch must keep its full purchase price in the event of a glitch, it's dead. We're going to miss some great things.

The market has gone mad because of this, we have switched from necessarily unreasonable impulsive watchmaking to speculative reasoned buying.

During a purchase, in my opinion, you have to start with a possible very significant loss (50% for example) to have peace of mind. It remains a pleasure and a passion.

After a few years the watch is worth more so much the better but as long as the watch is not on sale this value is only very hypothetical (to flatter egos).

But today's enthusiasts are no longer those of yesterday...and neither is the watch market. It is better to leave something that you no longer feel in agreement with.
At the limit, if i would be in your place I'll keep only one piece, because somewhere this is a habit and has been a hobby that has become necessary (not having a bare arm), and ignore it.

Grönefeld 1941 RCF ¦ H. Moser Heritage Dual Time ¦ JLC Q1308470 ¦ L&S 1815 Up/Down ¦ L&S Zeitwerk Date ¦ UN Freak X carbonium
Toproll85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 12:42 AM   #50
EndlessEight

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
I think i’ve also felt this on and off over the years. I consider myself probably fairly fortunate “relatively speaking” in terms of getting AD access to most of the watches i wanted but the work and stress required for this is starting to get old. It’s all these games you’re required to play to buy a damn watch that is probably becoming too much for me now and i simply cannot be that bothered anymore to visit my AD and speak BS and repeat this process until a watch magically materialises.
I'm where you are too.

I've never been one to wait for the things I want. The day will return when you can walk in and buy a Rolex, you are actually looking for, out of the case.

I'll be back then.
EndlessEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 07:41 AM   #51
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
I think maybe you are reading too much of the wrong stuff. Idiots who like what you like don't make you an idiot. They tend to be fickle. You on the other hand, have taste and a lasting appreciation of what really makes a Rolex a Rolex. As for getting old, we all are, it's not just you. Crime is always a concern. The perception that if you wear a Rolex you are a target is no more true or false today than it ever was. Just try to stay away from the click bait and drama junkies.

It's different for everybody. Unless there is some kind of pressing imperative, when it comes to things like this, my rule of thumb is not to act without allowing plenty of time for my wants to change again.
Thanks Harry ,
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 08:13 AM   #52
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
I took a long hiatus from watches in 2015. At the time I gave my Speedmaster and Ingenieur to my best friends and groomsmen. I kept wearing my 1601 daily but didn’t have a care for watches or watch related news for the longest.

Then one day. I saw an ETA Black Bay in blue displayed prominently on the AD window while out window shopping with the wife. It captivated me and I’ve been back in the rabbit hole ever since.

But yes it is quite normal for interest in watches to ebb and flow. Just like everything else in life
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 08:42 AM   #53
Michigan_State
"TRF" Member

I still like checking in and reading watch content online, but have really lost interest in the last years, especially since the hype started. I started out in 2010 when prices were on a different level and got into the hobby as a tool watch guy. Rolex has since become a douchy luxury brand and I really miss the old days (experimenting with 5 digits and flying under the radar).
Old 1 December 2022, 08:43 AM   #54
SAAS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
Just treat your watches like your pants. Wear it and forget it. It doesn’t have to be more than that
Pantsforums.com
SAAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 09:27 AM   #55
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
The only thing I've lost interest in: The mythical "waiting list" at the AD
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 10:25 AM   #56
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Just stand back and wear your watches just to tell the time. As said, the rest is just noise. Adding watches at some point reaches a point where the incremental joy of owning the new watch is not worth it. The best approach may be to consider the collection complete and enjoy them. I am seriously almost there with just a few things on the radar.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 11:50 AM   #57
samuel019

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
I would say it’s NOT Rolex itself it’s the BS that comes with it. Mainly the A D games but since you wrote you have a long relationship and can get whatever you want then maybe not

I love any and everything Rolex but all the noise/drama outside the watch itself, hell no. Which diminishes the overall love but I keep coming back to the watch itself

Thankfully I’ve reached a pretty solid collection with a Core 7 so I don’t really care atm to add anything else.

I say take a step back and wear your favorite non stop and see how you feel in a few months
Old 1 December 2022, 01:00 PM   #58
Kenny G
"TRF" Member

I can certainly understand this. That’s a long time to be in the hobby and so much has changed over the years…and not for the better…especially over the last 5 years or so. A little watch exhaustion can definitely happen…

If you don’t mind divulging, I’m curious how large your collection is?

Perhaps a serious downsize is in order..without totally getting out?
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 01:12 PM   #59
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

We got burned out! So much hype, so much social media pushing the narrative of watches, what's hot, what's in, what you need to get or be seen in... Watch shows, YouTube channels, short reals, everyday over again in our face, AD games, watch snobs, disrespectful SAs, greedy greys, etc...

My market update threads did not help...

We got fatigued.

That, coupled with the ridiculous increase in crime in places like New York City and Los Angeles, it's turned a lot of us off.

I've loved watches for 30 years, from my first Rolex over 20 years ago, to dating back what I was a young kid buying Chinese made mechanical watches dreaming that I would one day own a Rolex.

It will come back. Things need to just simmer down a bit, take some time off, and I'm sure The Passion and excitement will come back to you. And if it doesn't, that's okay too!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
JacksonRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 03:34 PM   #60
Maestro
Banned

Sometimes you just lose the excitement and everything just dies down. It’s a watch, not oxygen or a heart.
Maestro is offline   Reply With Quote