The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 4 December 2019, 02:18 PM   #1
CashGap
"TRF" Member

Any Super Bowl Rituals? I'll share mine...

(Not a terribly productive thread, apologies in advance).

In 2016, I found myself in Vienna, Austria a few days before Super Bowl 50. I was at the Hard Rock Cafe on a Wednesday, and the friendly waitress asked about my plans for the week.

I told her I was going to walk the city for a few days, then tour a manufacturer I can't discuss in Deutch-Wagrem on Friday, the main purpose of my trip. Saturday, I would drive to Berlin to take a selfie at the Brandenburg Gate of the Berlin Wall on Ronaldus Maximus's 105th birthday. Then back to Veinna, to watch Super Bowl 50 on my laptop in my hotel room before returning to the USA.

She said "You should come to our midnight Super Bowl Party". I said "What's that all about?" and she said "It's €99, we have hot dogs, hamburgs, unlimited drafts..." so far she wasn't selling me... "We usually have an American host, but he had to cancel". "What does he do?" I asked. "Just greet the guests, and answers questions about the rules...".

I asked to speak to the manager...

So I ended up hosting a Super Bowl 50 party at the Vienna Hard Rock with 100 of my newest friends. It wasn't difficult... you only need to know more than they do.

"Why did they throw that yellow cloth?" "Icing."

"Why is the striped shirted fellow blowing his whistle?" "Infield fly rule."

I had so much fun, I vowed to never watch the Super Bowl in the United States again.

2017 - Jordan, Rome, Vienna, Praha, Amsterdam, Hong Kong to watch the Game at the HRC, LA, and home. Circumnavigation, going East.

2018 - LA, Seoul, Sydney, Johannesburg to watch the Game at the HRC, London, and home. Circumnavigation, going West.

2019 - LA, Munich, Innsbruck, Zurich, Sao Paulo to watch the Game in my room, Dallas, a conversion from vacation to business mode, JFK, CDG, Riyadh (bought a Datejust!), CDG, JFK, and home. No circumnavigation.

2020 - Vegas for a convention, LA, Tokyo, Vienna for the Game at the HRC, Madrid, London, and home. Circumnavigation going West again.

Any Super Bowl Rituals? Particularly with wrist shots? Looking forward to some DD40 shots this year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 2016.jpeg (152.8 KB, 268 views)
File Type: jpeg 2017.jpeg (238.0 KB, 265 views)
File Type: jpeg 2018.jpeg (252.8 KB, 260 views)
File Type: jpeg 2019.jpeg (173.1 KB, 265 views)
CashGap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2019, 04:44 PM   #2
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

The 2018 pic is apropos as you were “down under”

My only Super Bowl story was the 1982 game - and it led to a nearly 40 year ritual.

I had been skiing Tahoe the week before the game, then drove to Reno and lost a good deal while spending a Saturday night there.

Had to fly on Super Bowl Sunday so made several prop bets at the sports book and won them while flying home - enough to offset my Saturday losses. That was a nice flight

Never bet another game and (therefore) never lost a dime on a Super Bowl - so to preserve my record, the ritual is never bet the Super Bowl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2019, 02:40 AM   #3
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Very cool story.

Not a popular opinion here I'm sure, but my ritual is to line up a bunch of movies to watch while this over-hyped, over-produced moneymaking fiasco plays out.

Told you it wouldn't be popular.
Blansky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2019, 03:23 AM   #4
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
what's the Super Bowl?

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2019, 03:40 AM   #5
Beo3
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
what's the Super Bowl?
HAhahah!
I'm with you Seth!

Anyhow, I'm glad that you enjoy yourself on "that" Sunday, Sam. Seems like a whole lot of fun
Beo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2019, 03:49 AM   #6
Moving Chicane
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM233 Dot Dial
Love it!

But maybe a better thread on Flyertalk. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashGap View Post

So I ended up hosting a Super Bowl 50 party at the Vienna Hard Rock with 100 of my newest friends. It wasn't difficult... you only need to know more than they do.

[/B]
41mm Starbucks
Moving Chicane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2019, 03:59 AM   #7
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Yes here in buffalo we generally order pizza and wings and root for whoever the patriots are playing on that given year.
Old 5 December 2019, 04:09 AM   #8
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
What's this Superbowl you Yanks are on about? lol

PS: No ritual, games are usually boring but I watch periodically.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2019, 04:34 AM   #9
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 116234 79280P
Not as exciting as traveling the globe, but every year my father and I get a platter of these deli sloppy Joe's, some sour pickles, a couple pounds of potato salad and have a feast. I enjoy watching football so go out with a bang for the last game of the season. Not so much a fan of the half time shows. Not my taste in music most of the time.

Old 5 December 2019, 04:59 AM   #10
Syed117
"TRF" Member

I usually get together with friends to watch it. Luckily I don't have the meathead idiot type of friends who yell and scream like some dumb game has an actual effect on their lives.

More about the hangout and gathering than watching 12 minutes of movement and 4 hours of commercials with some usually terrible music thrown in the middle.

I do sometimes enjoy seeing the newest trailers for movies and occasionally video games in real time.
Old 5 December 2019, 05:17 AM   #11
Brew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTzu View Post
Not as exciting as traveling the globe, but every year my father and I get a platter of these deli sloppy Joe's, some sour pickles, a couple pounds of potato salad and have a feast. I enjoy watching football so go out with a bang for the last game of the season. Not so much a fan of the half time shows. Not my taste in music most of the time.

Towne Deli or Eppes Essen?
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2019, 05:22 AM   #12
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
Towne Deli or Eppes Essen?
Eppes Essen hands down.

Livingston Bagel too is really good
Old 5 December 2019, 06:11 AM   #13
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Tums.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2019, 06:34 AM   #14
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
what's the Super Bowl?
It's a bizarre ritual cooked up by the NFL and corporate America to sell people stuff they don't need and pay 5 million dollars per 30 seconds for the privilege.

It's also highly encouraged by the NFL players association so that retired players and coaches can congregate en mass on every TV channel to dogmatically pontificate about nothing, adding meaningless anecdotes and statistics for the enjoyment of the drunken fans.

The half time show is a delirious mess of a medley of the greatest hits of yesteryear complete with bad sound and the occasional nipple if you're lucky.

And of course you have to throw in the military and the largest flags every produced to add a bizarre form of patriotism to the frenzy.

The only thing missing is car chases and multiple explosions.
Old 6 December 2019, 12:30 AM   #15
Ruddiger
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Howdy,

I cut myself in the corner and ask why God has forsaken us....

Take care,

Ruddiger
Ruddiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 12:54 AM   #16
wantonebad

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
You mean the New England invitational... We sit back, relax and wait for the 4th quarter magic to happen. Giants not withstanding.

wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 12:58 AM   #17
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
A close friend and his wife used to host a yearly party for the game.
It was always fun, getting to see a lot of familiar faces.
Sometimes, it was the only time I'd see some of them all year.
Then, a few years ago, they stopped doing it.
I miss the party, and the people, and the food.
To me though, the game itself is no big deal.
Old 6 December 2019, 01:28 AM   #18
avidflyer

Yacht club use to have a private party...100 people $100 each, after the game we had a drawing for all the money. Winner got the money and the bar tab to include food...Was always a great time
avidflyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 02:01 AM   #19
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
It's a bizarre ritual cooked up by the NFL and corporate America to sell people stuff they don't need and pay 5 million dollars per 30 seconds for the privilege.
OMG! American corporate sponsorship/advertizing going on in the NFL? Yikes.

This sort of thing must be stopped before spreads like a virus to other professional sports around the world.

Why, there could even come a day where the likes of Rolex and Adidas and Emirates or Qatari Airlines cook-up sponsorships or advertize at Wimbeldon, golf tournaments, car and yacht races. Heavens, perhaps even FIFA World Cup soccer wouldn't be immune.
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 02:30 AM   #20
wantonebad

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post

This sort of thing must be stopped before spreads like a virus to other professional sports around the world.

Why, there could even come a day where the likes of Rolex and Adidas and Emirates or Qatari Airlines cook-up sponsorships or advertize at Wimbeldon, golf tournaments, car and yacht races. Heavens, perhaps even FIFA World Cup soccer wouldn't be immune.
Old 6 December 2019, 02:41 AM   #21
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post

I agree. The bloodbath has to stop before someone dies.

In 2018, 86 commercials were shown during the Super Bowl broadcast, amounting to a total ad time of 51 minutes and 20 seconds.

People are being manipulated to death, posing a sport. There is more real action during Bingo night at the old folks home.
Old 6 December 2019, 02:53 AM   #22
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I agree. The bloodbath has to stop.

In 2018, 86 commercials were shown during the Super Bowl broadcast, amounting to a total ad time of 51 minutes and 20 seconds.
What was that expression I've heard around here a time or two re Rolexes? Oh yeah..

"what the market will bear"

Seems to me if the time takes too long or price rises too high or the flags fly too big, people will stop watching and buying.

Vote with your On/Off button. That's what I do. After all, it's only a game.
Old 6 December 2019, 02:54 AM   #23
wantonebad

Quote:
I agree. The bloodbath has to stop before someone dies.

People are being manipulated to death, posing a sport. There is more real action during Bingo night at the old folks home.
I really don't think it's that dire, I watch as much for the commercials as I do the game, I find all of it entertaining. JMHO
Old 6 December 2019, 03:05 AM   #24
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantonebad View Post
I really don't think it's that dire, I watch as much for the commercials as I do the game, I find all of it entertaining. JMHO
How plebeian of you. I'll be sitting around miserable, watching the artsiest Netflix film feeling super cultured, sipping my petite sirah, triggered by a large American flag.
Old 6 December 2019, 03:17 AM   #25
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yeah, not to get too carried away on this but the networks are finding the increase in commercials ARE driving people away.

My post was more sarcasm than reality although I stopped watching over- produced stuff a while ago but that's also partly due to getting older and the whole been there done that thing. It's just become ho-hum, more of the same hype.

Some stuff on commercials:

https://time.com/96303/tv-commercials-increasing/

https://www.marketplace.org/2018/04/...y-commercials/

https://www.fastcompany.com/90429836...ly-performance
Old 6 December 2019, 03:17 AM   #26
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Of course there's manipulation. Professional sports are a business. The entertainment business that depends on spectators.

The rules of pro games/competitions/races themselves are tweaked and changed over time in order to provide more entertainment and draw more viewership. Salary caps are instituted to level competion. Equipment rules enacted/standardized. The list goes on an on, all done in order to manipulate the game's attraction.

The SB isn't any different from any other spectacle. If it's not your thing, just don't watch. Personally, I believe the only championship in sports worth watching is the Stanley Cup but others may not think so. Believe it or not, some would rather watch bass fishing, cricket, or even soccer.
Old 6 December 2019, 03:20 AM   #27
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTzu View Post
How plebeian of you. I'll be sitting around miserable, watching the artsiest Netflix film feeling super cultured, sipping my petite sirah, triggered by a large American flag.
I've searched Netflix and can't seem to find ANY super cultured stuff on it. You must have Netflix High-Brow Supreme at your house.

I only have Basic.
Old 6 December 2019, 03:20 AM   #28
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
You mean the New England invitational... We sit back, relax and wait for the 4th quarter magic to happen. Giants not withstanding.

brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 12:32 PM   #29
goin camping
"TRF" Member

While I have not watched the NFL for some years now.

Wife and I gather with friends and our purpose is enjoying each others company. But all talking, joking and goofing off stops when the commercials come on. Best part of the entire event.
goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 01:24 PM   #30
CashGap
"TRF" Member

It’s OK. I only look forward to this trip/event all year...

Won’t be posting about my Daytona 500/Indy 500/CFP rituals ��
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E43B7316-EDA4-4DCA-A9F5-AC5AB5B923DC.jpeg (51.6 KB, 95 views)
CashGap is offline   Reply With Quote