The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 March 2009, 11:41 AM   #1
devidosan

Watch: gmtii c
crystal 116710 vs 16710

Is the engrave at 6 o'clock is in the same position?for what I saw my gmtc crystal have the engrave above swiss made!but I chipped and I changed and now is just in the edge of the crystal..could be they put a wrong glass in it?
I am 100% sure that the new gmt have the engrave above swiss made,but i cant see in the gmt 16710 because I dont have any,and have to be a model between 2004-2008 wich is the latest 16710 in the market cos they dont produce anymore...please guys let me know
Thanks

P.S The new gmtii c is a great watch is got the class..and I recon in 2 years will cost like daytona!I bought for AUD$8000 now it cost $9780 in less then 1 year..no bad
Hi hope rolex will keep the watch rare like milgauss green crystal..
devidosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2009, 11:55 AM   #2
Whiskey
Banned

Watch: Deepsea
The GMTIIc is a nice watch, but is mass-produced and from what I have heard/seen, has never been horded/short-supplied by either Rolex or AD's alike. Could be that in your area there was a recent price increase which would account for the new price you're seeing. Happens about every 2 years.

The chances of Rolex putting the wrong crystal in is less than nil.

It could be that they put the crystal in without considering where the laser etched crown should be positioned.

Look carefully at the crystal, the crown could be at the 12 o'clock position, or 9, or 3 or 2:10, etc etc. It could be anywhere.

My understanding is the laser etching should have an "S" signifying that the crystal is a "new-service" crystal.

The other thing to take into consideration is, did Rolex replace the crystal, or a watchmaker? Could be that the crystal was replaced with an after-market crystal by the independent watchmaker to whom you may have taken the watch to, if you did indeed take this course.

There's lots of factors to consider.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2009, 12:44 PM   #3
devidosan

hi wiskey the watch has been repaired from the AD actually the chief of the Distributer Rolex changed personally the glass..I dont see any s but they put at the back of the case a red stick...as watch serviced..Look in my experience of rolex I never so the etching in other position like 2,3,5 etc always at 6 o"clock...Maybe if ur deepsea is at least 2002 model u can see ur etching and see is above swiss made,if is not I am 100% sure that is a old crystal...because as I sayed the new rolexes crystals have a etching above swiss made and olders models wich is no anti reflect have a etching at the edge..
that's what I think
Old 9 March 2009, 04:29 AM   #4
Whiskey
Banned

My Deepsea is a new model that was released in 2008 which I purchased a week ago.

As it's new, the Crown on mine is at the 6 o'clock position.

The reason I stated that it's possible that the laser etched crown may be positioned elsewhere on your watch is because it's been mentioned by a couple of forum members here in the past who had their crystals replaced and the AD was not very conscience about this fact and just put it in, hence the reason I asked you to look over the entire crystal. One member stated that he couldn't find the crown either on his replacement until he looked over the entire crystal and found it somewhere between 2 and 3 o'clock. he had to take the watch back in to get it re-positioned.
Old 9 March 2009, 04:50 AM   #5
rescue7
Banned

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
My Deepsea is a new model that was released in 2008 which I purchased a week ago.

As it's new, the Crown on mine is at the 6 o'clock position.

The reason I stated that it's possible that the laser etched crown may be positioned elsewhere on your watch is because it's been mentioned by a couple of forum members here in the past who had their crystals replaced and the AD was not very conscience about this fact and just put it in, hence the reason I asked you to look over the entire crystal. One member stated that he couldn't find the crown either on his replacement until he looked over the entire crystal and found it somewhere between 2 and 3 o'clock. he had to take the watch back in to get it re-positioned.
Most Rolex service centers will/should position it correctly, but the new etched crown will have the letter "S" inscribed.

I'm not saying it's not possible to line it up in a position other than 6 o'clock, but placing it elsewhere is a lack of job pride and any Rolex technician is highly trained and would be expected to follow all OEM repair guidelines.
rescue7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2009, 04:52 AM   #6
chenx15
"TRF" Member

The LEC can be anywhere. in the daytona specifically it can be between 8 an 9.
17/18 of the last GS finals, 237 consecutive weeks #1
5 consecutive wimbledon + 1 = 6 cups
5 consecutive US open
4 Australian open
1 Sweet french open
a crown for every achievement
The Greatest Of All Time loves Rolex
chenx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2009, 05:01 AM   #7
rescue7
Banned

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenx15 View Post
The LEC can be anywhere. in the daytona specifically it can be between 8 an 9.
Do you have a pic to confirm LEC placement at 8 to 9, all my watches have the coronet located at 6 o'clock.

Remember the laser etching is performed as the last operation on all Rolex watches. This was confirmed by a Rolex technician that has been to Rolex SA on a tour of the factory.

The technican I deal with always looks at 6 o'clock when finding LEC engraving.
rescue7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2009, 05:31 AM   #8
chenx15
"TRF" Member

Yes, I'll try to get a photo of it.
17/18 of the last GS finals, 237 consecutive weeks #1
5 consecutive wimbledon + 1 = 6 cups
5 consecutive US open
4 Australian open
1 Sweet french open
a crown for every achievement
The Greatest Of All Time loves Rolex
chenx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2009, 05:36 AM   #9
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
devidosan,

To answer our question.......the laser etch crown is at the edge of the crystal (at 6 o'clock).. it should not appear above the "Swiss Made"... Perhaps you were looking at a sharp angle making it appear to be above the "Swiss Made"??

Here is a Service Replacement crystal and how it should look..

Old 9 March 2009, 06:35 AM   #10
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
2024 DATEJUST41 Sponsor & Boutique Seller

Watch: Me!!!
I thought it can be found anywhere..so if it's not on the 6 oclock that means it's fake?
Old 9 March 2009, 07:30 AM   #11
Whiskey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodybump View Post
I thought it can be found anywhere..so if it's not on the 6 oclock that means it's fake?
If I were concerned, I'd call Rolex Headquarters, ask for their after-sales department and confirm with them whether or not all replacement crystals have the laser etched crown.

Then I'd ask them how long have they been doing this.

There could be 2 reasons why a replacement crystal on a Rolex may not have the LEC present at all;

1. It's an aftermarket crystal (which is a no-no in my opinion).

2. The AD is using old-stock crystals (which is why I'd ask Rolex when they started marking their replacement crystals with the LEC with the "S"?.

Simple answer. Just make a phone-call.
Old 9 March 2009, 08:59 AM   #12
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Actually my question is the positioning the etching not if there is one or not..the watch has an etching but it's not located at 6 o'clock..some people here have it between 2-3 and some ate ok 8-9...
Old 9 March 2009, 09:04 AM   #13
Whiskey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodybump View Post
Actually my question is the positioning the etching not if there is one or not..the watch has an etching but it's not located at 6 o'clock..some people here have it between 2-3 and some ate ok 8-9...
I mentioned in my previous post in this thread that in some cases, whoever is working on the watch at the time may be indifferent to where the LEC should be when installing the new crystal. To them it's just another watch that needs a new crystal. Their phylosophy is who the heck is going to notice something so small and non-visible.

It's kind of like taking your car in for service and when they replace the part they removed, instead of putting the 5 bolts back into the bracket, they only put 4.

Is this really that hard to believe?
Old 9 March 2009, 09:08 AM   #14
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
I mentioned in my previous post in this thread that in some cases, whoever is working on the watch at the time may be indifferent to where the LEC should be when installing the new crystal. To them it's just another watch that needs a new crystal. Their phylosophy is who the heck is going to notice something so small and non-visible.

It's kind of like taking your car in for service and when they replace the part they removed, instead of putting the 5 bolts back into the bracket, they only put 4.

Is this really that hard to believe?
Ok whiskey I think I need to take you to the TR's bar drink is on me my friend...
Old 9 March 2009, 09:22 AM   #15
devidosan

guys really thanks for all this info..I will ceck 4 the s,I thought the main rolex in geneve put the lec...so could be that who made the lec wanted put just at the edge,but I can garantee 100% that it was just a bit upper before.I payed btw even no so much for this replacement only $308 (australian dollars) wich is the price of old crystal,now my point is how come the new antireflects cost exactly the same???be rip of is no good and when u pay lot of money for a watch I believe u should have even ur spare part back,did nt happen to me so you never can compair the old part with the new one!that s shame..
where I bought the watch the price of the new crystal is $395 so what does mean????
Do you think the old crystal can fix in to a new bazel???I m not expert but minu6plus4 told me that can be..
Old 9 March 2009, 09:58 AM   #16
Whiskey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by devidosan View Post
guys really thanks for all this info..I will ceck 4 the s,I thought the main rolex in geneve put the lec...so could be that who made the lec wanted put just at the edge,but I can garantee 100% that it was just a bit upper before.I payed btw even no so much for this replacement only $308 (australian dollars) wich is the price of old crystal,now my point is how come the new antireflects cost exactly the same???be rip of is no good and when u pay lot of money for a watch I believe u should have even ur spare part back,did nt happen to me so you never can compair the old part with the new one!that s shame..
where I bought the watch the price of the new crystal is $395 so what does mean????
Do you think the old crystal can fix in to a new bazel???I m not expert but minu6plus4 told me that can be..
When Rolex gets a watch to repair, they work on an "exchange" basis where they replace the part and keep the old part. This is due to 2 reasons;

1. To prevent the old part from being used in making a fake Rolex watch.

2. To lower the cost of the new replacement-part for the watch. You stated that your crystal cost $395. Would it surprise you if I were to tell you that had they given you back the old part, they would have charged you $495 instead of $395?

This is how Rolex operates.
Old 9 March 2009, 10:41 AM   #17
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Excellent info..this why I love this forum you learn something everyday thanks whiskey