The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 27 January 2018, 12:02 AM   #1
ksing
"TRF" Member

Rolex 16520 Zenith

Hello,

I have found an unpolished white dial Rolex 16520 Zenith full set which I haven't seen or have photos of yet. However, from the information I got is that it's a 4-liner L series with a "200" bezel. Can anyone tell me if this is a correct configuration? Of course I will wait to see the watch before I buy it but would like to know if this variation exists. And the price I've been quoted is approx. $40k USD, sounds right?

Thank you.
ksing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2018, 12:16 AM   #2
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
40 K for a Zenith Daytona. Wow. That seems expensive to me but I don't know what the market is asking for on these. So don't mind me.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2018, 06:25 AM   #3
shawnmarz
2024 Pledge Member

I thought nice full sets went for the high 20s to low 30s.

Unless you're looking at that patrizzi non sense
Old 27 January 2018, 06:43 AM   #4
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksing View Post
Hello,

I have found an unpolished white dial Rolex 16520 Zenith full set which I haven't seen or have photos of yet. However, from the information I got is that it's a 4-liner L series with a "200" bezel. Can anyone tell me if this is a correct configuration? Of course I will wait to see the watch before I buy it but would like to know if this variation exists. And the price I've been quoted is approx. $40k USD, sounds right?

Thank you.

Seems a tad off from this account:

https://daytonainfo.wordpress.com/er...h/lifecycle-2/

the 4 liner seems correct but not 100% sure if the bezel carried over to the L.....sky's the limit these days on the zeniths.....I would expect a porcelain dial/patrizzi @ that kind of price point though.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2018, 06:49 AM   #5
rolstaff
Banned

Watch: GMT
Zenith porcelain at that kind of price ??

I guess you are two years too late.... :-))
rolstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2018, 06:50 AM   #6
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolstaff View Post
Zenith porcelain at that kind of price ??

I guess you are two years too late.... :-))
Man.....I haven't looked into them for awhile and caught a glimpse a year back.....guess they've gone even nuttier then.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2018, 08:29 AM   #7
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
Man.....I haven't looked into them for awhile and caught a glimpse a year back.....guess they've gone even nuttier then.
JC, there are a lot of nutty things going on out there - and not just prices either!

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2018, 08:38 AM   #8
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Wow, my 6239 must be worth....
Old 27 January 2018, 04:42 PM   #9
ksing
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for your replies, yes it does seem like these are price now for a 4-liner Zenith? The full set porcelain ones that I've seen are even higher in price.

Anyone can tell me about the configuration of this L series 4-line "200 bezel" then?

Thank you
Old 28 January 2018, 01:31 AM   #10
ksing
"TRF" Member

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old 28 January 2018, 03:53 AM   #11
storm66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksing View Post
Hello,

Thank you.
Take a you look at DRSD.com
A fantastic source of info on Daytona dials,bezels etc!
storm66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2018, 04:42 AM   #12
Vintage12
"TRF" Member

Here's a link to the page on 16520 dials.

http://www.drsd.com/watch-info/daytona/16520-dials.html

Typically a Mk1 / R-series porcelain or not as well as the earlier L-series (floating dial) would expect to have the 200 bezel and the MKII / L-series 4-liner a 225 bezel. However, it seems there were many transitional models during the RoLEX years for the 16520 and I would not be surprised at the configuration you are asking about. Interestingly, there is a picture included of a MkII / 4-liner with the 200 bezel in the link above.

Certainly would suggest you check other expected attributes such as the inverted 6, 4 hashes in the right sub-dial between the 5-minute markers, brushed bracelet (no PCLs), serial number match to year etc to help verify authenticity. If you are able to post some pictures that could help.

Good luck.
Vintage12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2018, 06:23 AM   #13
frankoman
Banned

Watch: 1968 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage12 View Post
Here's a link to the page on 16520 dials.

http://www.drsd.com/watch-info/daytona/16520-dials.html

Typically a Mk1 / R-series porcelain or not as well as the earlier L-series (floating dial) would expect to have the 200 bezel and the MKII / L-series 4-liner a 225 bezel. However, it seems there were many transitional models during the RoLEX years for the 16520 and I would not be surprised at the configuration you are asking about. Interestingly, there is a picture included of a MkII / 4-liner with the 200 bezel in the link above.

Certainly would suggest you check other expected attributes such as the inverted 6, 4 hashes in the right sub-dial between the 5-minute markers, brushed bracelet (no PCLs), serial number match to year etc to help verify authenticity. If you are able to post some pictures that could help.

Good luck.
To your point on transitional models during the early 16520 era, I'm showing here my early S serial that has an older 4-line dial and later correct 400 bezel.

I am the original owner and purchased this from my local jeweler brand new in 1993. So presumably Rolex was using up older parts as it assembled new watches. A bit of good luck for me to get the rarer dial.
This was already in the period of high scarcity for these watches with long waiting lists.
frankoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2018, 06:26 AM   #14
frankoman
Banned

Watch: 1968 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankoman View Post
To your point on transitional models during the early 16520 era, I'm showing here my early S serial that has an older 4-line dial and later correct 400 bezel.

I am the original owner and purchased this from my local jeweler brand new in 1993. So presumably Rolex was using up older parts as it assembled new watches. A bit of good luck for me to get the rarer dial.
This was already in the period of high scarcity for these watches with long waiting lists.
Photo didn't make it here it is
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4270.JPG (278.3 KB, 391 views)
frankoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 07:08 PM   #15
benzng
"TRF" Member

yes, it does exist.
benzng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2018, 12:13 AM   #16
tropicalpatina
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 5513
Porcelain dials are around 60K at last look, I think 20-30k is correct unless they are full set which would be more. 16520 are on the rise, and very fast IMO
tropicalpatina is offline   Reply With Quote